News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-27-12, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Trade I would like

A player that i think could be available is Kevin Seraphin. If i was the spurs I would try and go after him. He is 6'9" and more of a blocker. He is rated worse then blair but towards the end of lat season he played well so I'M thinking he probably would be better then blair. I would give them blair and neal to save us some money plus i dont see neal staying after this year.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

It shows us as loosing in the trade so maybe we could even get a pick or something out of it. His numbers are not as good as blair in most areas but his blocks are far better and his rebounds/ points are not much worse.

Why Washington does it.

They have nene and okafor who i think will start. after that they have booker to back both of them up. While I think they may like keven i dont see him getting much PT and they may also have interest in blair. Neal is someone they can use as they can use more Gs and neal is better then most of the players on the bench and give them a veteran on the team. I would also take booker from them but he seems to have more range but not as good at blocking better at stealing.

Why spurs do it. Big reason is get rid of someone that wants to be gone and get a good shot blocker. I think he is more of an inside player but I think he may have more range then blair. Neal is because we dont have much pt for him and i think after this year will be gone due to money. it would also open up a spot for anderson if he really wants to stay and still leave one for a call up later.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-12, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So you are giving up Neal and Blair for a guy who is worse than Blair?

UM. . . . . No.

Here is a quote from Hollinger, "The other curiosity to his game is the huge variance in his rebound rates. Seraphin is great on the offensive glass, where he had the third-best offensive rebound rate among power forwards. Defensively, however, only three power forwards were worse on the boards, and for an alleged energy guy this is an alarm bell.

Last edited by choppsboy; 07-27-12 at 07:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-12, 07:49 PM

we don't need someone better than Dejuan Blair at this point. if we want a big, we need someone better than Tiago Splitter.

there's no point in trading for a big to take Blair's spot at the end of the bench.
Old 07-27-12, 08:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

we do need to start looking at other bigs. Blair gone after this year bonner after next, Tim after that. in 3 years we will be down to no bigs but tiago and maybe diaw so we do need to look and see who we can get in now.

As far as him being worse then blair I dont think he is. He numbers says he is but he is more of a defense player.
Old 07-27-12, 08:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
we don't need someone better than Dejuan Blair at this point. if we want a big, we need someone better than Tiago Splitter.

there's no point in trading for a big to take Blair's spot at the end of the bench.
:applause
Old 07-27-12, 09:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

so what yall are saying is yall are happy with the roster as it stands and are not willing to take a chance on a player to possibly improve the team.

btw name a few bigs that are available that are better then Splitter.
Old 07-27-12, 10:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Dwight Howard

(You said available, not someone we could get)

S
Old 07-27-12, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

well every player is available then if you put the right pieces together. I bet even durant would be available if they were to get enough for him
Old 07-28-12, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can't speak for Jose,

But I don't see Blair getting any playing time. So if this guy is worse than Blair, but had a good couple of games at the end of last season, what are his chances of getting playing time.

Well, If he is marginally better than Blair, his chances are near zero.

He must be marginally better than Splitter, or regular season Bonner to have a chance at playing time.

So your statement " name a few bigs that are available that are better then Splitter," is right on point.

It also is the same reason Pop and RC have said that the roster is set. They don't see any big men out their better than Splitter either.
Old 07-28-12, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i Think he might get some when Tim rest. but blair cant really play with other bigs. I think Seraphin could play with either boner or diaw.
Old 07-28-12, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
i Think he might get some when Tim rest. but blair cant really play with other bigs. I think Seraphin could play with either boner or diaw.
we get your point, problem is:

TD is probably going to get 25 (or more) mpg with Splitter backing him up taking the rest
Diaw is probably going to get 25-30mpg with Bonner taking the rest

Blair isn't going to get any minutes (or just in garbage time where they won't matter). that's why the theory of getting someone better than Splitter is important because if Blair won't get minutes and he's just barely better than Blair, we're not improving the core of this team at all. we would be just improving the end of the bench who doesn't get playing time.
Old 07-28-12, 06:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree that I would rather have someone better then splitter as I agree with your min above except hopefully more for splitter and diaw and less for bonner. That is also assuming all the bigs stay healthy. I realize there is small ball that will get some run but if this guy would be big we would be ahead if he turns out to be a bust then we are out really nothing as I see both blair and neal not getting much PT next year and leaving.
Old 07-29-12, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Splitter has value, but we dont necessarily need someone better. Splitter IMO should have gotten more pt this past season. Reason he didn't was because Pop freaks out if he doesn't have a shooter at the 4 to spread the floor.

I see Splitter as an above average back up for Tim. Diaw is great for a small line up at the 4, but WE NEED A SHOT BLOCKER.

Im tired of not having more of a lock down defense.

I agree that Blair, Neal, and Bonner we can easily do without. What we can get for them? Who knows, but I would like a true PF that can defend.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 07-29-12, 02:50 PM
The Eternal Optimist

There is still much more to defense than shot blocking as many on this board are so quick to point out when the defensive player of the year is almost always awarded to a shot blocker. Blocks are sexy, but usually happen when someone else's defense breaks down. Not all, but many do.
Old 07-29-12, 10:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes there is more to defense but weak side defense which is a big part of team defense is a lot of blocking. Blocking is not a individual trait as much as being able to recover for a teammate.