News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-23-12, 12:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

From Barcelona Courtesy of Luis Scola

Scola says Houston Rockets want to acquire Dwight Howard

...a small piece of tangential news today regarding the Dwight Howard saga, this from the player who was amnestied by the Houston Rockets in what appeared to be a clear cut attempt to clear cap space to acquire the Orlando Magic center. “They (general manager Daryl Morey and VP of player personnel Gersson Roses) called me right around draft day and they said they had drafted power forwards, and they told me they were going to get some big player to help us right now, which I could be a big part of that,” Scola told SheridanHoops.com Sunday night after Scola’s Argentinian national team lost to Team USA 86-80.
“But then failing to do that, and getting some power forwards , they believed they needed to go young,” Scola said. “They told me they don’t think they’re going to be doing nothing in the next 3-4 years, which is when I’m going to be a player. They’re trying to go younger, and they’re looking 3-4 years ahead.”
Did they say it was a signal they were going to get Dwight Howard?
“I don’t know. I don’t know that much.”
Did they mention him?
“No, they didn’t. But I know they’re looking for him. and I know they told me they may need to clear some cap for something that comes up. But I don’t know for a fact,” Scola said. “When I knew I wasn’t going to be on the team, I stopped asking questions about the team. They stopped telling me too.
“Usually, they used to tell me what was going to happen, and what they were looking to have happen. And they told me I wasn’t going to be a part of the team anymore, then they didn’t tell me nothing.”
Scola was amnestied by the Rockets and was claimed on waivers by the Phoenix Suns.
The Rockets, meawhile, have been playing the restricted free agent market to rebuild their team. They added Jeremy Lin with a backloaded $25 million contract that the New York Knicks declined to match, and they are awaiting word from the Chicago Bulls (the deadline is Tuesday night) to learn whether their similarly backloaded offer sheet to center Omer Asik will be matched.
Houston currently lists more than 20 players on its roster, including the three players they acquired from Boston in the Courtney Lee sign-and-trade transaction (E’Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and JaJuan Johnson). The Rockets also acquired Charlotte’s 2013 2nd-round pick in that deal.
So Morey is sitting on a pile of young players and future draft picks which could conceivably be piled together in a trade for Howard, if the Rockets are still inclined to do so. (It would be a risky move, as Howard’s agent, Dan Fegan, has said his client will not sign a contract extension with any NBA team and will become an unrestricted free agent next summer).
But that list of assets includes:
_ Toronto’s first-round pick in 2013 (top-3 protected, then top 2 protected in 2014 and 2015, and unprotected in 2016); a future first-rounder from Dallas (top 20 protected through 2017, then unprotected in 2018); the Bobcats 2nd-round pick in 2013, the Knicks’ second round picks in 2014 and 2015, and a conditional second-round pick from the Clippers in 2015.
_The right to three players selected in the top 18 picks in the 2012 draft: Jeremy Lamb of UConn (12th overall), Royce White of Iowa State (No. 16) and Terrence Jones of Kentucky (No. 18).
_Two young players, including two centers, acquired in the sign-and-trade deal that sent Marcus Camby to the Knicks — Toney Douglas and Josh Harrellson, along with another center, Lithuanian Donatas Montiejunas, who was a first-round pick in 2011.
_ Two young players acquired from the Milwaukee Bucks on draft night in the Samuel Dalembert trade — John Brockman and Shaun Livingston.
Aside from Kevin Martin and Livingston, no signed player among the names on the current roster has more than 4 years of NBA experience. And if Morey is willing to bundle a bunch of those assets in a trade with Orlando, which is looking for a bundle of young players and draft picks, you can’t completely count them out of the Howard sweepstakes.
As Scola said: “I know they’re looking for him.”
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-12, 05:48 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Did they mention him?
“No, they didn’t. But I know they’re looking for him. and I know they told me they may need to clear some cap for something that comes up. But I don’t know for a fact,” Scola said. “When I knew I wasn’t going to be on the team, I stopped asking questions about the team. They stopped telling me too.
The Rockets are not going to get Howard, because the Ownership of the Rockets suck ass and no one wants to go there.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-12, 09:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

If they told Scola they don't think they are going to do anything for 3-4 years and they are trying to go younger looking 3-4 years ahead how would Dwight fit into that picture? Maybe they were just BSing Scola. No team is looking at a 4 year plan if they add Howard. He is looking to win now.
Old 07-24-12, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Either way, it appears Scola isn't "guarding" any secrets for the Rockets and I like that! F' em!

Then again...

The Houston Rockets made an offer than Omer Asik could not refuse. A $25.1 contract over a 3 year period. The Bulls made a counter offer to Omer, one week before Houston officially submitted the sheet, of 4 years $21 million, which does not trump the Houston offer.

Gar Foreman was skeptical that Houston was going to leave such a huge offer on the table, after the Rockets used the same contract on surprise sensation, Jeremy Lin. Even before the speculated offer was made, the Bulls claimed they were going to match.

Sources say the Bulls will officially decline to match in a press announcement sometime this afternoon.

The Bulls signed veteran Center, Nazr Mohammed last week, and look to have moved on already.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/07...mer-asik-walk/
Old 07-24-12, 10:26 AM
The Master Baiter

Well, it's been well-documented that the Rockets want to get Howard, but Scola seems like he feels jilted, doesn't he? I don't remember any other players that got cut or traded being so open about his former team's intentions or way of business. Kind of unprofessional, maybe that's why the Spurs didn't bring him over to begin with.
Old 07-24-12, 04:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
The Rockets are not going to get Howard, because the Ownership of the Rockets suck ass and no one wants to go there.
No one wants to sign there as a free agent.
If you trade for a guy, he has no choice but to play.

Unless you are Derek Fischer.

That being said, the home team advantage ($25M over the life of the contract this last summer) could sway a guy or two. Maybe even an agent.

The Rockets are no better (or worse) off with the amnesty of Scola. If they don't get Howard and keep Scola, they are a nowhere team. If they don't get Howard, and amnesty Scola, they are a nowhere team, but more likely to get a to lottery pick.

If they get Howard, all bets are off for the next 10 months.
Old 07-24-12, 04:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
The Rockets are no better (or worse) off with the amnesty of Scola. If they don't get Howard and keep Scola, they are a nowhere team. If they don't get Howard, and amnesty Scola, they are a nowhere team, but more likely to get a to lottery pick.
Why? I thought that you constantly maintained that Scola = lottery.

I know you were joking, so am I.
Old 07-24-12, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_believer View Post
Why? I thought that you constantly maintained that Scola = lottery.

I know you were joking, so am I.
Well, let's see how PHX does next year now that they have Lord Scola.
If they make the playoffs, then I was wrong.
If they enter the lottery, then I was justified.

But wouldn't I feel awesome if HOU got Howard, and made the playoffs?
Well, sure, because the local team FINALLY made the playoffs. After ditching Scola

Last edited by katyspursfan; 07-24-12 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 06:15 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Morey's grand plan will come to fruition, Houston is headed to the lottery. Phoenix will replace the Rockets as that mediocre middle of the standings team..