News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-22-12, 02:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Corey joseph

Does anyone else think the spurs might be putting corey on display this summer league? With parker, mills, and de colo we would be ok at the point. Now they can put denmon at the point in austin for the toros.

We could package joseph, blair, and neal for a big.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-12, 03:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No.
Old 07-22-12, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I wouldn't be too quick as to dismissing Gary Neal. Once DeColo is integrated into the rotation, Neal can return to being that shooting daggar of the bench that opponents hate to see coming. I imagine the coaching staff vividly remembers what he could do and how he got to the team in the first place before he was taken out of his comfort zone by playing the point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-12, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I wouldn't be too quick as to dismissing Gary Neal. Once DeColo is integrated into the rotation, Neal can return to being that shooting daggar of the bench that opponents hate to see coming. I imagine the coaching staff vividly remembers what he could do and how he got to the team in the first place before he was taken out of his comfort zone by playing the point.
I'm not saying neal has to be traded. You would think with what joseph has shown and blair that could bring something back useable.
Old 07-22-12, 10:17 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Neal has been proven to have ice water flowing through his veins, whether regular season or playoffs. Letting that trait go would be difficult. But yes, you have to give something of value to get return value.
Old 07-22-12, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Neal has been proven to have ice water flowing through his veins, whether regular season or playoffs. Letting that trait go would be difficult. But yes, you have to give something of value to get return value.
I'm also a big fan of Neal. While not the most athletic or "complete" player, he does have the rare gifts of a quick release and very good accuracy, even under pressure.
Old 07-22-12, 01:13 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Joseph did a nice job against that team from north texas yesterday. Played 34 minutes, scored 18, had 5 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, and perhaps more importantly only 2 turnovers.

Spurs need to pick this kid's option up for next year and continue to let him grow and mature. In another 2 years I think he'll turn into a real nice PG for the Spurs.
Old 07-22-12, 01:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Joseph is reportedly on the trading block along with Blair.
Old 07-22-12, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Goodbye Corey Blair bonner! Hello mccaleb
Old 07-22-12, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Joseph is reportedly on the trading block along with Blair.
Hope not, the only reason that I could see them trading Joseph would be because the Spurs don't want to pick up his option and if it's financial then they'd be trading him for a future draft choice and not the big we all know they need. IMHO, Joseph seems to have one heck of an upside, sure hope this doesn't turn into another Scola screw up.

And as far as McCalebb goes, if he's such a stud, then unless the Spurs have his draft rights, they're not going to get him, remember the Spurs are severely limited in what they can pay anyone and they're not going to break the bank on a 6'0' PG when they already have 3 1/2 point guards on the roster. (the 1/2 is Neal)....
Old 07-22-12, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Joseph was born to play in the D-league.
Old 07-22-12, 04:14 PM

i'd be shocked if Joseph gets traded. with us wanting to get rid of Blair for just space alone, Neal would be the most attractive option to do that over Joseph. both have small deals, but Neal is just a shooter (1 dimensional and still a big commodity in the league).

the decent thing about this is we can still keep Joseph in the D-League while Neal would be with the Spurs along with Mills and De Colo (basically we should be getting rid of someone who'll demand time like Neal would).
Old 07-22-12, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
And that's based on what?
Old 07-22-12, 05:14 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

It is entirely possible to me that they are shopping joseph with Blair to get us another big, but they needed to get Joseph some court time to show what he's worth.

They may feel he's not ready to be the full time backup at point this year and an overseas vet would e better for that role. And we need another big.

Don't listen to te front office. They know what they need better than us but they won't do anything stupid to make it happen.
Old 07-22-12, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
And that's based on what?
One year of being on a team stocked at guard and no training camp.
Add in a year without practice, and he will never achieve anything. He must be traded.

Duh!
Old 07-22-12, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Add in a year without practice, and he will never achieve anything. He must be traded.

Duh!
+1

imo he played extremely well in the little time he got with SA (especially in the D-League) with the situation he was put in.
Old 07-22-12, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Duh!
Thanks for clearing that up for me, you know that I get easily confused, figured I must have missed something......
Old 07-22-12, 08:43 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Agreed.
Old 07-22-12, 09:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Gentlemen,

You are forgeting the 90's. It took the Spurs almost a decade to find a Point guard after Rod Strickland Left. We had Avery Johnson and then cut him. We tried Combo Points with Del Negro. Even Tarkanian got fired because Red McCombs would not spend for a traditional Point Guard. By the Time 1999 came around, We had such a power Front court that we did not really need a point guard to push but rather not turnover.

The Spurs are a different team from 1999 we are in the midst of transition. I really hope we don't give up on a Point who knows the system and is Young.

Young beats Old any time.. Just look at OKC... Cory Joseph is not a knucklehead and is really a part of the system

Trust in POP..
Old 07-22-12, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

he also was named summer league all star
Old 07-22-12, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
Gentlemen,

You are forgeting the 90's. It took the Spurs almost a decade to find a Point guard after Rod Strickland Left. We had Avery Johnson and then cut him. We tried Combo Points with Del Negro. Even Tarkanian got fired because Red McCombs would not spend for a traditional Point Guard. By the Time 1999 came around, We had such a power Front court that we did not really need a point guard to push but rather not turnover.

The Spurs are a different team from 1999 we are in the midst of transition. I really hope we don't give up on a Point who knows the system and is Young.

Young beats Old any time.. Just look at OKC... Cory Joseph is not a knucklehead and is really a part of the system

Trust in POP..
Parker is in his 30's, not so young (per NBA standards anyway). as much as you make sense, there's gotta be something going on. we have Mills/Neal/Joseph behind Parker with De Colo able to play PG (i'm taking it he will see time there because Ginobili/Green will see time at SG while Jax/Leonard see time at SF).

with the Spurs having 2 legit years behind Duncan, Parker's the only contract that runs after that (and is the only legitimate tradeable asset to give us someone good), which would make it more logical to rebuild once Duncan leaves. with the abundance at PG's, it would make sense to trade Parker for a legit big since we already have guys who can play his spot.

we can't trade any of the guys we signed in the offseason yet. i don't know how we go with this team unless Pop would transition one of our SF's into PF (Leonard or Jackson) for a full time basis because i don't think a package for a decent/average player would include a Bonner/Blair/Neal/Splitter combo.

I trust Pop/RC have something cooking in the words of a trade.
Old 07-22-12, 11:25 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Trust in POP..
I did not forget about Strickland leaving. I hated that he left and the Spurs got nothing back. AJ was cut a few times but he was not ready at those times until they signed him the third time. Back to Strickland, They had an exciting team in the early 90's with Robinson. Bad luck(injuries to Willie Anderson/Terry Cummings) and dumb moves(trading Frank Brickowski, drafting Dwayne Schintzius over Elden Campbell, Toni Kukoc etc.) that were all engineered by Larry Brown that ruined the team. He was a great coach no doubt but he had too much say so on player personnel. Red McCombs is a good man people. He helped bring the team here from Dallas in the 70's and he himself ensured it was kept here during and after his ownership term. Yeah he was too cheap while in full control of the Spurs. But he is a businessman first always. Looking forward, I liked Joseph's play in summer league but when is he going to play????
Old 07-23-12, 03:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Next year is an 82 game season plus a training Camp. You need horses after Manu, Tony and Spliter have been in an Olympics.

Trust in POP.

I never totally dismissed Red as an Owner but I do acknowledge we have made mistakes in the past. Hopefully, we do not make the same mistakes by giving up on a young point guard too soon.

Thank God that we did'nt trade TP for J Kidd. I really Hope the Front Office will be Lucid and Bring in a Big without Cutting the Nose to Spite the Face.
Old 07-23-12, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me, you know that I get easily confused, figured I must have missed something......
I thought I used a enough of hyperbole to emphasize that it's a bit early to declare Joseph a bust or not.

Sorry if it got past you.
Old 07-23-12, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I thought I used a enough of hyperbole to emphasize that it's a bit early to declare Joseph a bust or not.
Sorry if it got past you.
It didn't, but there's not a smilies to effectively convey that I got it and even understood it, but was wondering if rooster got it...
Old 07-24-12, 01:10 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Next year is an 82 game season plus a training Camp. You need horses after Manu, Tony and Spliter have been in an Olympics.

Trust in POP.

I never totally dismissed Red as an Owner but I do acknowledge we have made mistakes in the past. Hopefully, we do not make the same mistakes by giving up on a young point guard too soon.

Thank God that we did'nt trade TP for J Kidd. I really Hope the Front Office will be Lucid and Bring in a Big without Cutting the Nose to Spite the Face.
JKidd was a free agent. There was no trade talk to the Nets for TP.
Old 07-24-12, 01:27 AM

Quote:
our roster is full, we can't use the amnesty anymore. if anyone comes, it'll have to be for the minimum. we won't get a relevant player for Blair/Bonner/Splitter (the most that gives you is $7 mill for those 3 alone, i can't think of a team that can will take those 3 guys and give a MLE type contract back).

your scenario of bringing in someone who will help by trade without trading a useful piece is far fetched. we either trade a relevant piece of this team for another team's relevant player or keep this team, no CIA tactic Pop can do will change that.