News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 07-20-12, 07:25 PM
Thomas82's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 613
Close Calls With Trades

I became a Spurs fan in 1989 (David Robinson & Sean Elliott's rookie year), but since I was in the 4th grade I was obviously too young to understand the business side of sports. All I knew was what I saw either at the games or watching them on TV. I was talking to a football teammate the other day who hasn't been a Spurs fan as long as I have, and I told him about a couple of trades and free agent deals for the Spurs that almost happened, but fell apart at the last minute.

I'm not trying to re-open old wounds or anything, but can anybody that's been a fan longer than I have fill me in on some of these transactions? I would definitely appreciate it. I'm aware of the more recent ones like the supposed TP/CP3 trade a few years back, Marcus Camby at the '09 trade deadline, that I can remember off-hand. I'm talking about the 80s and 90s, even the more recent ones that I might have missed would be OK.

I vaguely remember hearing that Charles Barkley was almost traded to the Spurs, and I remember reading about the Bulls possibly discussing a trade sending Michael Jordan to the Spurs for David Robinson. If you can fill me in on those also, I would definitely appreciate it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-12, 10:24 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,546

There was the Brent brry for jr smith deal that fell through at the last minute. Mostly what I can think of are the free agent signings that almost happened. Derek Anderson, Jason Kidd, Lamond Murray,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-12, 10:59 PM
Eddy from Austin's Avatar
Official SR Home Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Actually is Lakeway
Posts: 9,789

I remember hearing about David Robinson almost getting traded for Chris Webber
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-12, 11:22 PM
Thomas82's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
I remember hearing about David Robinson almost getting traded for Chris Webber
In his prime or toward the end of his career?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-12, 12:34 AM
spurs_believer's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
I remember hearing about David Robinson almost getting traded for Chris Webber
No, it was FO low ballingballing Robinson on an extension while flritting with Webber (free agent).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-12, 02:58 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,878

There was no Webber for David Robinson trade talk. CWebb was a FA and the Spurs FO talked to him and that was it. They talked to Jermaine O'Neal too. Also I never heard ever of a Charles Barkley coming to SA at any point as a FA or trade at any point in his career. I think if I recall the MJ for David Robinson stuff was basically hog wash too. It was really who would you rather have type of thing at the time. Also it was before Jordan won all those titles. I think it was at the time just radio talk and a debate topic. I'm not that old but followed basketball at a very young age so it's cool to look back at some of these things. Some happened and some didn't. I think lots of things have gone the Spurs way. I'm so glad Derek Anderson left town after one year. Just an example.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-12, 08:41 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
There was no Webber for David Robinson trade talk. CWebb was a FA and the Spurs FO talked to him and that was it. They talked to Jermaine O'Neal too. Also I never heard ever of a Charles Barkley coming to SA at any point as a FA or trade at any point in his career. I think if I recall the MJ for David Robinson stuff was basically hog wash too. It was really who would you rather have type of thing at the time. Also it was before Jordan won all those titles. I think it was at the time just radio talk and a debate topic. I'm not that old but followed basketball at a very young age so it's cool to look back at some of these things. Some happened and some didn't. I think lots of things have gone the Spurs way. I'm so glad Derek Anderson left town after one year. :applause Just an example.
+1
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-12, 08:10 PM
Thomas82's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
There was no Webber for David Robinson trade talk. CWebb was a FA and the Spurs FO talked to him and that was it. They talked to Jermaine O'Neal too. Also I never heard ever of a Charles Barkley coming to SA at any point as a FA or trade at any point in his career. I think if I recall the MJ for David Robinson stuff was basically hog wash too. It was really who would you rather have type of thing at the time. Also it was before Jordan won all those titles. I think it was at the time just radio talk and a debate topic. I'm not that old but followed basketball at a very young age so it's cool to look back at some of these things. Some happened and some didn't. I think lots of things have gone the Spurs way. I'm so glad Derek Anderson left town after one year. Just an example.

I'm still looking for info on the MJ/D-Rob situation. I just read about it in Bill Simmons' Book Of Basketball. I'll post links to both trade situations if I can find anything online. As for the nixed Barkley trade, here are a few quotes from a few posters on another board:


"Regarding Barkley, it was Terry Cummings and Willie Anderson for Charles Barkley. AFAIK, both teams agreed to it but Red McCombs vetoed the trade because he didn't want to pay Barkley."

McCombs was reportedly tired of paying Robinson a lot of money and at one point started to shop him. But I don't remember a trade every getting close at that time.

"It seemed like the most momentum to trade Robinson was early in the '99 season when the Spurs were off to a slow start. The trade rumor at the time, which a lot of Spurs fans supported, was Robinson for a package headlined by Vin Baker."

"McCombs deserves credit for keeping the Spurs in SA but he was otherwise a terrible owner. He also feuded with Rod Strickland publicly and let him walk in free agency.

And that Barkley deal was in the summer of '92...Barkley went on to be the league MVP the following season and led the Suns to the NBA Finals.

Spurs could've had a front court of...

3 Elliott
4 Barkley
5 Robinson

...IN THEIR PRIMES!!"

"And after the Spurs passed on the Barkley trade Terry Cummings blew out his knee playing a pick up game in Chicago."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-21-12, 08:30 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas82 View Post
I'm still looking for info on the MJ/D-Rob situation. I just read about it in Bill Simmons' Book Of Basketball. I'll post links to both trade situations if I can find anything online. As for the nixed Barkley trade, here are a few quotes from a few posters on another board:


"Regarding Barkley, it was Terry Cummings and Willie Anderson for Charles Barkley. AFAIK, both teams agreed to it but Red McCombs vetoed the trade because he didn't want to pay Barkley."

McCombs was reportedly tired of paying Robinson a lot of money and at one point started to shop him. But I don't remember a trade every getting close at that time.

"It seemed like the most momentum to trade Robinson was early in the '99 season when the Spurs were off to a slow start. The trade rumor at the time, which a lot of Spurs fans supported, was Robinson for a package headlined by Vin Baker."

"McCombs deserves credit for keeping the Spurs in SA but he was otherwise a terrible owner. He also feuded with Rod Strickland publicly and let him walk in free agency.

And that Barkley deal was in the summer of '92...Barkley went on to be the league MVP the following season and led the Suns to the NBA Finals.

Spurs could've had a front court of...

3 Elliott
4 Barkley
5 Robinson

...IN THEIR PRIMES!!"

"And after the Spurs passed on the Barkley trade Terry Cummings blew out his knee playing a pick up game in Chicago."
Still don't recall that one honestly. I recalled the MJ/DRob talk though. To me it was sports talk radio stuff. I think there was a Sean Elliott for Ricky Pierce and Paul Pressey deal on the table. Sean Elliott and other pieces for Dominique Wilkens back in the 90' trade deadline. Larry Brown was looking to add Pressey for so long. Eventually moving Frank Brickowski for him. Pressey was not really as good as his past while Frank produced a lot more with the Bucks. Red MCCombs was saddled with David's contract that required him to be paid among the top 2 or 3 players in the league/ Which was kind of crazy but eventually that deal expired or the provision was waived by Robinson.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0