News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-20-12, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Left-Handed vs Right-Handed

I will admit that I'm not a basketball guru by any stretch of the imagination. The only experience I have with organized basketball is going to a couple of camps and playing for my church's team when I was a teenager. I'm a HUGE Spurs fan, and basketball fan in general, but I'm more of a football man (played high school, college, currently play semi-pro).

I know David Robinson was left-handed, Manu Ginobilli is left-handed, and Ryan Richards is left-handed. My question is: Is there any significant advantage in basketball to being left-handed, especially for a big man? If so, what is the advantage?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-12, 07:13 PM

i'd say the advantage they have is that the majority of the players are right handed, so most of the guys have built a tendency to have guys go to their "off hand" which is their left most of the time. when that happens (like with Manu), they usually have a step in front of the guy since their playing the wrong side of the drive.
Old 07-23-12, 08:31 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

plus, if you have a legit scorer teammate, right handed, can distribute the floor better, (talking only about shots) i think?
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and then say, “Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass.” Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.

Last edited by JuanCaca; 07-24-12 at 09:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-12, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Jose's right I am left handed and I have probably scored most points in the post based on the fact the defender is not expecting a spin to the left side or they leave that lane open left trying to make me go under the basket.

Even when people know I am lefty it is still hard to change their defensive thought process to keep left as they have always defended other righty's.
Old 07-24-12, 11:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Jose's right I am left handed and I have probably scored most points in the post based on the fact the defender is not expecting a spin to the left side or they leave that lane open left trying to make me go under the basket.

Even when people know I am lefty it is still hard to change their defensive thought process to keep left as they have always defended other righty's.
+1
I'm a lefty, and when I work in the post, usually the first baby-hook is a freebie, because the defender is expecting me to turn over the other shoulder and shoot righty.

Even lefties like me are so used to guarding right-handed players, that it takes an adjustment to guard a lefty. But then again, I think it's also an adjustment to play WITH a lefty on your team too, because his passing, footwork, and positioning are all different too.