News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-12, 11:00 PM
Official SR Home Builder

NBA approves jersey ads, replay additions

NBA adds to instant replay for '12-13

LAS VEGAS -- The NBA Board of Governors approved a new look for uniforms and a couple of changes in the use of video replay, commissioner David Stern announced Thursday night.

Stern met with the media after the Board of Governors held their annual summer meeting, and said the league is looking to add possibly $100 million in revenue by permitting small advertising patches on uniforms starting in the 2013-14 season.

Stern
"The view is that the teams would need a significant time; one, to sell the patch; and number two, for adidas to manufacture the uniforms, because the patch that would be on the players' uniforms would also appear on the jerseys at retail," said deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who is handling the uniform change.

Silver said there are revenue projections from European soccer teams the NBA could use.

The competition committee altered a few rule changes with respect to the use of video replay, primarily in the final two minutes or overtime of games.

At any point in the game, officials can now check video replay on all flagrant fouls.

"So the call is flagrant foul and then you go the tape, and you decide whether it's a 1 or a 2, or in some rare instance, maybe even a common foul," Stern said.

Officials now can use video replay in the final two minutes of overtime to decide whether a defender was in or out of the restricted area around the basket on charge and blocking fouls. Replay also can be used for goaltending calls in the late stages of games as well.

In September, the competition committee will look at flopping and fouls away from the ball.

Stern said that under the collective bargaining agreement and the implementation of revenue sharing that profitable numbers are "optimistic."

He said the proposed sale of the Memphis Grizzlies is proceeding on pace and the league hopes to approve it in the next couple of months. The league approved the sale of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan's ownership interest in the Toronto Raptors to Bell Canada and Rogers Communications.

Stern said there are more positives with the league, including the successful Summer League held in Las Vegas.

"We had a happy group of owners," Stern said. "Our ratings are up 28 percent over the last decade, while television ratings are down around 30 percent the last decade. We are going to have our best year ever, both in gate and sponsorship this coming year."
Old 07-20-12, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

So the games get slower and the uniforms get uglier...I have to believe there's pots of money involved...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-12, 11:56 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
So the games get slower and the uniforms get uglier...I have to believe there's pots of money involved...
yeap

Quote:
the league is looking to add possibly $100 million in revenue by permitting small advertising patches on uniforms starting in the 2013-14 season
Old 07-20-12, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

cant wait until a player tatoos an add somewhere on his body and then that will be the end of this.ha
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-12, 04:02 PM
Official SR Home Builder

This advertising patches on uniforms idea may or may not always work.

Old 07-20-12, 04:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
It's a HUGE amount of money. Pots and pots and pots. I've seen that the league can make up to $100M off of it. Of course, the players get half so that number is more like $50M. And of course that would get divided between 30 teams so that number is actually closer to $1.4M. But that is loads and loads of money for a business. I mean you can sign less than half a Matt Bonner or a whole Nando de Colo.
Old 07-20-12, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
This advertising patches on uniforms idea may or may not always work.

Old 07-20-12, 06:31 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

So does anyone know if they will be selling the jersey's with or without the advertising logos?

Old 07-20-12, 06:54 PM
Official SR Home Builder

All the authentic NBA jerseys will have the ad

Quote:
"The view is that the teams would need a significant time; one, to sell the patch; and number two, for adidas to manufacture the uniforms, because the patch that would be on the players' uniforms would also appear on the jerseys at retail," said deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who is handling the uniform change.
Old 07-20-12, 10:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

So better buy up all the spurs jerseys you can this coming season to avoid the Taco Cabana/Whataburger/USAA ad on the jersey. If we're lucky we'll be the HEB spurs in bout 3 seasons when full across the chest sponsor ads become standard.
Old 07-21-12, 03:07 AM
Herman Cain of the board

I do not like the idea of ads on jerseys. I think it's really tacky first off. Second I'm sure the NBAPA wants a cut of the money. I do not mind it on practice jerseys, summer league action, All-Star games, special NBA exhibition games and I could handle pre-season too if need be. Just think the integrity of the game goes down a little by doing this. Also having ads on Nascar clothing and soccer club jersies looks cool but on an NBA jersey? Just does not fit to me.
Old 07-21-12, 03:13 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Eddy From AUSTIN,

Those pics rock! LMAO!

Can't wait to see Manu sporting an HEB patch on his jersey... Not!
Old 07-21-12, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Location: Upstate New York, USA (and occasionally Thailand with my wife).

Slow the game down? Really? Like the game getting done a few minutes late is going to annoy you? Huh?! Let's get the calls right. I'd rather wait a minute and win or lose on the correct call rather than win or lose it instantly on the wrong call (not that all bad calls happen at the end of games, but I suppose it can't hurt). The NBA is f***ed because of the abomination they call officiating. Worse than diva players and high salaries (which is all anybody talks about as to why they hate the NBA), as the integrity of the game is not just suspect, it's shattered in the eyes of all but the most willfully blind or naive fans. I have sworn off this league so many times because it is simply not real with the calls. I give it a chance and get burned again every year come playoff time. Any steps taken to fix them would be welcome. Why not adopt what the NFL has and give each team 3 challenges ANYTIME during the game (with timeouts lost if they were wrong)? That increased the NFL's legitimacy ten-fold in my eyes. Stern would never do that because that would jeopardize HIS preferred teams in the Finals. What a joke... replays in the final minutes. It's not enough and it won't stop the rigged games, as the refs manipulate the entire game, not just the ends of them When you see wild 20-point swings one way and then the next way, or wild series-changing calls and big games with a lot of yelling at the refs, you know what's up. A fixed call at the end will not change a thing.

Fun Facts:
- I've been a Spurs fan since 1990.
- I got my wife hooked on the Spurs in 2004.
- I've watched and recorded every Spurs game from 1996 to 2005 on VHS.
- I've watched and recorded every Spurs game on DVD since 2006.
- I hate the La-La-Land Fakers and NBA Refs... possibly even more than I love the Spurs.

My websites:
www.chrusher.com
Old 07-21-12, 02:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If none of you like the idea of the ad, than pay more for tickets.

Personally, I don't mind ticket prices staying lower, and looking at ads on the jerseys.
Old 07-22-12, 05:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Personally, I don't mind ticket prices staying lower, and looking at ads on the jerseys.
Don't kid yourself. Ticket prices have absolutely nothing to do with ads on uniforms. Those prices are set by supply and demand with the owners trying to set the price to maximize revenue.
Old 07-22-12, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Don't kid yourself. Ticket prices have absolutely nothing to do with ads on uniforms. Those prices are set by supply and demand with the owners trying to set the price to maximize revenue.
agreed. owners of good teams make enough to pay for the teams. this would help an owner like Peter Holt go over the cap/luxury tax and pay for it instead of getting it out of the revenue he has now.
Old 07-22-12, 08:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Ads will not lower prices either! A beer will still be $7.50 per bottle. So sorry your claims are false. How do ticket prices stay lower anyway? I don't sit up in the nose bleeds so don't count those.
Old 07-25-12, 03:01 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ChrusherComix View Post
Slow the game down? Really? Like the game getting done a few minutes late is going to annoy you? Huh?! Let's get the calls right. I'd rather wait a minute and win or lose on the correct call rather than win or lose it instantly on the wrong call (not that all bad calls happen at the end of games, but I suppose it can't hurt). The NBA is f***ed because of the abomination they call officiating. Worse than diva players and high salaries (which is all anybody talks about as to why they hate the NBA), as the integrity of the game is not just suspect, it's shattered in the eyes of all but the most willfully blind or naive fans. I have sworn off this league so many times because it is simply not real with the calls. I give it a chance and get burned again every year come playoff time. Any steps taken to fix them would be welcome. Why not adopt what the NFL has and give each team 3 challenges ANYTIME during the game (with timeouts lost if they were wrong)? That increased the NFL's legitimacy ten-fold in my eyes. Stern would never do that because that would jeopardize HIS preferred teams in the Finals. What a joke... replays in the final minutes. It's not enough and it won't stop the rigged games, as the refs manipulate the entire game, not just the ends of them When you see wild 20-point swings one way and then the next way, or wild series-changing calls and big games with a lot of yelling at the refs, you know what's up. A fixed call at the end will not change a thing.
Just checking in from time to time.. This would be a time. I agree with Chris on this.. I, too, would like to see a call challenged. Any one of the times that a goaltending call got missed by an official in that okc series means the Spurs got two points at least taken from them.... I'll take a challenge as long as I can use it WHENEVER I WANT. That might limit that last two minutes thing causing an effect or maybe not, but it is a legitimate idea in my eyes.
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 07-25-12, 01:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd be happier if they just didn't call a charge or a block when a guy who penetrates to the basket but passes at the last second and plows the defender down. That gets called far too often than it needs to be. Honestly, the ads will look stupid at first but then everyone will get used to it, much like the headbands, arm sleeves, leg sleeves and tattoo sleeves. Fans will look past the image and only care about whether their team wins or not. Or at least they should.