SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   2nd summer game impressions.... (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117120-2nd-summer-game-impressions.html)

esparzar1 07-18-12 11:11 AM

2nd summer game impressions....

Alright, I know it's just a summer game and some of the players are "scrubs". But did anyone watch the game vs the Lakers? KAWHI freakin LEONARD is a beast.

WOW:yikesI'm his biggest fan and I was even blown away with the vast improvement he's made. He looked like freakin MJ or Kobe out there (maybe a bit of a stretch but you get the idea). His ball handling skills have greatly improved. His first step is crazy fast and his pull up jumper from about 15 ft is silky smooth!!!!!!!

Uber impressed with his offensive improvement. He didn't just control the entire game....he DEMANDED it! Tons of confidence, just completly impressed from what I've seen the first two summer games. I know it's just summer league but WOW....just WOW!!!!

Going out on a huge limb but I feel he will be the Spurs #2 scorer this upcoming season. No joke, maybe even our #1 scorer. He's gonna put up at least 15 ppg this season.....Book it!

Jose_TheGenius 07-18-12 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1283443)
Alright, I know it's just a summer game and some of the players are "scrubs". But did anyone watch the game vs the Lakers? KAWHI freakin LEONARD is a beast.

WOW:yikesI'm his biggest fan and I was even blown away with the vast improvement he's made.

conflict of interest :lol

i hope you're right. if he can put up even 10ppg, he'd be a complete player (above a role player).

esparzar1 07-18-12 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1283445)
conflict of interest :lol

i hope you're right. if he can put up even 10ppg, he'd be a complete player (above a role player).

did you watch the game?!?!? He was basically running point when he was in. His confidence was crazy....he wasn't cocky but he knew he was the best player in game and dared anybody to match his intensity/level of play. He looked like a man amoungst boys....I was blown away. 10ppg will be nothing for him this season. I'd lean more towards 15ppg! Like I stated....BOOK IT :wink

Eddy from Austin 07-18-12 11:19 AM

Spurs vs Lakers Summer League Game Highlights

Wesley33177 07-18-12 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1283443)

WOW:yikesI'm his biggest fan and I was even blown away with the vast improvement he's made. He looked like freakin MJ or Kobe out there (maybe a bit of a stretch but you get the idea). His ball handling skills have greatly improved. His first step is crazy fast and his pull up jumper from about 15 ft is silky smooth!!!!!!!

Uber impressed with his offensive improvement. He didn't just control the entire game....he DEMANDED it! Tons of confidence, just completly impressed from what I've seen the first two summer games. I know it's just summer league but WOW....just WOW!!!!

Going out on a huge limb but I feel he will be the Spurs #2 scorer this upcoming season. No joke, maybe even our #1 scorer. He's gonna put up at least 15 ppg this season.....Book it!

You're funny:rolleyes

Wesley33177 07-18-12 12:58 PM

A lot of Spurs plays were just to put the ball in Kawhis hands. It's not the best way to evaluate the other players.

alh1020 07-18-12 12:59 PM

Kawhi is looking impressive. In the first game against Atlanta, one of the commentators made mention that one of the Spurs coaches had told them Kawhi was given the green light to shoot more, to concentrate on creating his own shot and going to the hole. The coaches aren’t worried about his defense.

I’m also impressed with Joseph’s tenacious defense and pushing the ball. He’s going to the hole with a lot more authority. Zeller is starting to find his outside shot and Wilkerson is starting to emerge.

esparzar1 07-18-12 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley33177 (Post 1283449)
You're funny:rolleyes

I might be a bit of a homer when it comes to KLeo but I'd please like you to explain to the class why you don't think he could be our #2 scorer this year.......what has he shown you for you to doubt what I think........waiting for your response :wink

Wesley33177 07-18-12 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1283454)
I might be a bit of a homer when it comes to KLeo but I'd please like you to explain to the class why you don't think he could be our #2 scorer this year.......what has he shown you for you to doubt what I think........waiting for your response :wink

Does Parker,Manu and Duncan ring a bell? :rolleyes

esparzar1 07-18-12 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley33177 (Post 1283455)
Does Parker,Manu and Duncan ring a bell? :rolleyes

they might, remind me again who they are again....oh, you're talking about soon to be 35 y/o Manu and 36 Timmy?!?!?!? Yah, I think I know who they are...lol

let's see Timmy put up around 15ppg last year (and that was the best he played in the past 3 yrs or so) and Manu put up 13 last year. Both are a year older.....hmmmmm not making much of an argurment against my boy Leo...I love Timmy and Manu but Coach Pop has already stated his excitment for Leo in his sophmore year and Manu and Timmy know they don't have to carry the burden anymore. We know both of them have no ego and will age gracefully with the Spurs coaching staff.

It's TP9's team and I'm perfectly fine with that. TD and Manu can both put up (stats speaking) roughly the same numbers as last year with Leo being the second option still. All I'm saying is watch out for this kid. I think even some Spurs fans (not naming anyone :smirk) are underating Big Leo.

esparzar1 07-18-12 02:40 PM

and it's just not me that's taking notice. As a rookie he was selected to try out for the USA Oly team with the likes of LeBron, KD, Melo, etc. That has to tell you something. Although he didn't make the team most people were very impressed with him.......

Daily Dime - ESPN
Spurs' Leonard Shifts To Star In Summer
By Danny Chau
TrueHoop Network

Leonard

Less than two months ago, Kawhi Leonard was a starter on a Western Conference finalist. His unique physical gifts and improving range from long distance made him the perfect soldier for the San Antonio Spurs, where the established hierarchy of stars meant filling the periphery with capable niche players. While Leonard may have just been a cog in the Spurs' immaculate machinery, flashes of his athletic ability showed something few Spurs role players have had in the past: the potential for a more dynamic role.

Leonard's efficient 27-point outing Tuesday in a 92-81 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers was his second impressive summer league performance in a row. His confidence was noticeable as he waltzed into the lane with crossovers and spins with a level of execution seldom seen last season. It has been a confidence that has steadily grown since becoming a key player on the Spurs and, more recently, since becoming a member of the 2012 USA Basketball men's select team, playing with and against some of the NBA's best and brightest last week in Las Vegas. For Leonard, summer league is the venue to show off the culmination of experiences he has had in the past year.

"I gained a lot of confidence since playing through that one season and going into the USA training camp [and I] just wanted to be aggressive and get better," Leonard said.

Leonard's starring role on San Antonio's summer team has led to new responsibilities. The Spurs' coaching staff has experimented with Leonard's role on their summer team. He is, at once, the team's primary shot creator and secondary facilitator, creating from the elbow for himself and operating in the occasional pick-and-roll. Many of his eight rebounds led to Leonard pushing the ball up the floor to create for himself and his teammates. While it wasn't evident last season, pushing the ball comes naturally to Leonard.

"That's what I did in college and high school," Leonard said. "Get the rebound and push it up court ... just showed more effort today, just not walking the ball up."

Leonard's assertiveness in San Antonio's two summer league games should come as no surprise. His strong rookie season and his time spent training with USA Basketball has given him a sense of where he stands against the best. Leonard has dutifully served as a role player in both cases, but if his development continues at the rate it's going, Leonard's role in the Spurs' periphery may quickly shift into the fore.

Danny Chau writes for Hardwood Paroxysm, part of the TrueHoop Network. Follow him on Twitter.

esparzar1 07-18-12 02:48 PM

more drooling over Leonard..........

2012 Las Vegas Summer League: Kawhi Leonard expands comfort zone and Spurs beat Hawks | 48 Minutes of Hell

Kawhi Leonard proved to fit the Spurs to a T when the Spurs traded everybody’s favorite, George Hill, for Leonard’s draft rights in June 2011. While showing promise early, the Big Island flourished after Richard Jefferson was traded to Golden State in March and Leonard went on to make the NBA All-Rookie First Team. Any question about Leonard’s future with the Spurs was answered except one: when the big three are gone, can Kawhi carry the load offensively?

Sunday night was step one in finding out the answer to that remaining question. Leonard made his debut for the Spurs’ Las Vegas Summer League team and did so as the go-to guy for the first time in silver and black. Leonard did not disappoint. When all was said and done and the Spurs wrapped up a 82-76 win over the Atlanta Hawks summer league team, Kawhi Leonard put up 23 points on 8-18 shooting with four rebounds, three assists and just two turnovers, despite being the primary ball-handler and playmaker in the second half.

It didn’t start out all positive for Kawhi, though. He seemed content to let the game come to him early, much like he does when playing alongside Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the rest of the Spurs. These aren’t your typical Spurs though, and being content isn’t what the coaching staff wants to see from Leonard (note: Trevor Zickgraf of Project Spurs has a really good post with David Thorpe along these same lines). Eventually he made a point to get the ball and attack, and while it wasn’t pretty, it was necessary. Leonard started off the game 2-7 from the field and struggled to get good penetration.

It made me think of a section in Chris Ballard’s book The Art of a Beautiful Game. Ballard, along with several other media members, trained at the IMG Academy for a few days under the tutelage of David Thrope and Mike Moreau, getting to know what the offseason workouts are like for some NBA players. One of the things they’re taught is that it’s important for you to struggle, make mistakes and be overwhelmed. You’re not improving if you’re not making mistakes.

We begin with basic dribbling and shooting drills on the two NBA-sized courts. As if by way of apology, at least half a dozen times coach Mike Moreau, director of the IMG Basketball Academy and one of our two main instructors (along with Thorpe), tells us, “Don’t be insulted by the simplicity of what we’re going.” His point is to focus not on what we’re doing but how we’re doing it. So when we yo-yo the ball back and forth with one hand during a dribbling drill, we’re to do it as hard as possible–”HAMMER NAILS!” Moreau shouts, like some crazed foreman–and until we go so fast that we lose the ball. The idea is to simulate a game situation, when a defender is crowding you at full speed. “If you don’t lose the ball, you’re not going hard enough,” Moreau shouts. “MAKE YOURSELF LOSE IT!” It’s a totally unnatural sensation, like speeding up a treadmill until you wipe out. It requires at concerted effort, perhaps even more so, I imagine, for NBA players conditioned to feel that losing the ball is a sign of weakness. Once accomplished, however, the drill is quite liberating. Rarely does one get to screw up and be praised by a coach.

Henry Abbott of TrueHoop was also at the IMG Academy with Chris Ballard and put it this way:

All throughout, Coach Moreau told us all kinds of interesting stuff. One of the most memorable things to me was the idea that this is a laboratory where it is good to find errors. Just working on what you’re good at … that’s not what the best players do. In this gym, turnovers and mistakes are signs you’re discovering and working on fixing weaknesses. The best players love to discover new weaknesses, although they hate them and work hard to correct them immediately. It’s a good way to think about time on the basketball court.

MOAR PLZ (Photo credit: Andrew Smith)
This is the prism we should view Kawhi Leonard’s summer league through. We shouldn’t want to see him dominate, for him to make it look easy. Mistakes are a good thing, so long as they’re coming in ways that Leonard is unfamiliar with. As Sunday night’s game developed, Leonard seemed to make adjustments and improvements on the fly. Where the driving lanes were clogged early, Kawhi figured out how to exploit them and get to the rim.

On one play Leonard attacked the big man helping on a pick-and-roll, gave him a hard crossover dribble and powered to the rim, finishing the basket and drawing the foul. On another play, Leonard was able to beat his man to the basket by utilizing a behind the back dribble in traffic, again finishing with the foul.

Leonard has said publicly that he wants to expand his game, and his role, with the Spurs. Believed to be molded in the Bruce Bowen 3-and-D role when the Spurs traded for his rights, now it appears the sky is the limit for what Leonard can become. There will be bumps and missteps along the way, but that’s all part of the process. With the mistakes comes the growth.

esparzar1 07-18-12 02:50 PM

and a little bit more :wink......where u at Wesley?!?!?
2012 Las Vegas Summer League: Notes from Game 2 | 48 Minutes of Hell

ThatBigGuy
Kawhi continues to impress me with his offense. He had one play where he got the rebound and dribbled up the court on a pseudo fast break. There were too many defenders back, so he hesitated for two dribbles to see which defender picked him up (at the top of the key). Once the defender committed to him, he did two quick crossovers, broke down the defender, and took his man to the hoop. This was all before the Laker center had set up shop in the middle, so the lane was open. Kawhi drew contact from his defender, spun to his right hand, then layed the ball in with a gentle finger roll. The entire play just reeked of natural basketball talent, with no wasted moves. He has the potential to be a 20/7 guy, basically Rudy Gay with defense. In 3 years, he has a real chance to be the best player from his draft.

esparzar1 07-18-12 03:05 PM

I can go on and on.......he's gonna be a solid player....15ppg...book it!
http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...d-leonard.html

RealMadrid12 07-18-12 03:34 PM

I watched both games and he really seems confident handling the ball, we do need for him to be more involved offensively so this way the likes of Durant, kobe or any small forward play defense against him , OKC knew that we had three weapons Manu, tony and duncan evrbody else were just watching and not attacking so Durant was able to roam around helping defensivly , so hopefully coach Pop makes a commitment of using him as a weapon

alh1020 07-18-12 03:46 PM

Not to get off the subject of Kawhi, but during Pop's interview in the Atlanta game, he said since we now have Diaw for the start of training camp and the whole regular season, he hopes to light a fire under Diaw's a$$ to get him more offensive minded as well. Even though he is a good passer and his defensive ability was a surprise to the coaching staff, he did pass up a lot of open shots that he should have taken and Pop said he wants him to start looking for the shot as well.

thebig3 07-18-12 03:51 PM

i was able to watch the game and while i do see why everyone maybe excited i also know that this is summr league not the true NBA. these players are all fighting for a spot and chance to be on an NBA roster. now only a blind man would say that hes not good especially for a rookie but hes not being guarded by a durant, hardin, ibaka, gasol, etc. aka proven NBA players who know the diferenec between sumer league defense and team play and genuine NBA play.im excited but also cautiously optimistic. if kawhi can average 10ppg i think pop and all of us a fans would definitly be grateful. corey jospeh i also noticed has developed a nice stroke from teh perimeter and a very optimistic looking mid range jumper. sem much les tenative and ha loads more confidence.

esparzar1 07-18-12 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebig3 (Post 1283468)
i was able to watch the game and while i do see why everyone maybe excited i also know that this is summr league not the true NBA. these players are all fighting for a spot and chance to be on an NBA roster. now only a blind man would say that hes not good especially for a rookie but hes not being guarded by a durant, hardin, ibaka, gasol, etc. aka proven NBA players who know the diferenec between sumer league defense and team play and genuine NBA play.im excited but also cautiously optimistic. if kawhi can average 10ppg i think pop and all of us a fans would definitly be grateful. corey jospeh i also noticed has developed a nice stroke from teh perimeter and a very optimistic looking mid range jumper. sem much les tenative and ha loads more confidence.

He averaged 8ppg as a rookie being the 4th or 5th option at times......I just don't see how we can estimate that he will only put up 2 more ppg from last season. To me 13-15 ppg sounds about right. 10 is on the low side, I'll be dissappointed if that is all he does this year.

alh1020 07-18-12 04:00 PM

I personally think that since Kawhi has been the topic of interest to the Spurs coaching staff and Pop during the summer league games and they know what he is capable of doing, that Kawhi will figure more into the offensive schema this year and will play more minutes and get more touches than he did last year.

katyspursfan 07-18-12 04:56 PM

Wow. Some serious kool aid being poured around here.
First, I haven't watched any games because they are, uhm, summer league.

But, seriously, Leonard is playing in the summer league.
He's playing against guys trying to find a team. It's the freaking summer league.

I'm not discounting anything he has done, but he's done it all against summer league talent. And for a total of two games.

His scoring should increase next year. That should be expected after a real training camp and real practice during the season.

But I'll go out on a limb here. If Leonard is the second highest scorer on the Spurs next year, Bonner's failings in the playoffs will be the least of our worries.

esparzar1 07-18-12 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1283473)
Wow. Some serious kool aid being poured around here.
First, I haven't watched any games because they are, uhm, summer league.

But, seriously, Leonard is playing in the summer league.
He's playing against guys trying to find a team. It's the freaking summer league.

I'm not discounting anything he has done, but he's done it all against summer league talent. And for a total of two games.

His scoring should increase next year. That should be expected after a real training camp and real practice during the season.

But I'll go out on a limb here. If Leonard is the second highest scorer on the Spurs next year, Bonner's failings in the playoffs will be the least of our worries.

Damm right I'm drinkin the Kool Aid.....doesn't mean ya gotta be drinkin the "haterade"....lol. I stated it was the summer league so I'm not trying to look to much in to it but read my previous posts. If Timmy scores 13-15 ppg and Manu does the same, is it really that far fetched to think that K. Leo can't score the same as the two aboved mentioned players? Answer me this, who was arguably our most consistant player in the playoffs? :smirk That would be my home boy Kawhi Leonard. He's only gonna continue to get better with the opportunities he's given.

Man, this Kool Aid taste GREAT!!!!!

grizzly_bexar 07-18-12 05:44 PM

Yeah, if he is the number two scorer in this season then that would require a massive quantum leap. He's not going to overtake Parker. Duncan is still is going to get his. And Madu will always be a factor. Then you have Steven Jackson, not to mention Boris and splitter. To say he will improve drastically is one thing. But on a team this deep, doubling your scoring average just isn't likely to happen.

katyspursfan 07-18-12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1283475)
Damm right I'm drinkin the Kool Aid.....doesn't mean ya gotta be drinkin the "haterade"....lol. I stated it was the summer league so I'm not trying to look to much in to it but read my previous posts. If Timmy scores 13-15 ppg and Manu does the same, is it really that far fetched to think that K. Leo can't score the same as the two aboved mentioned players? Answer me this, who was arguably our most consistant player in the playoffs? :smirk That would be my home boy Kawhi Leonard. He's only gonna continue to get better with the opportunities he's given.

Man, this Kool Aid taste GREAT!!!!!

Oh no! I'm fine with the potential that Leonard has shown. I'm (Pop mode) "thrilled" with what I hear about how he's doing.

But, if the Spurs have to rely on their best perimeter defender to also be the second best scorer, then there are other problems on the team. I'd love to be proven wrong, with Leonard going for 18+ while playing lock down defense.

However, I think that the role he will be asked to play next year will be similar to the Bowen role. Play defense like a mutha, and be ready for the occasional shot. Get to the spot you like, and Tony will find you when he needs to. And get back on defense.

grizzly_bexar 07-18-12 06:08 PM

I don't think his role will be that limited. That's what he was doing at the end of the year this season. This year I think he will have more freedom to drive and create, especially off defensive rebounds. Not to mention he will have better ability/freedom to drive after being kicked the ball by Manu or TP. That was a limitation for us vs OKC that they knew nobody but TP or Manu would go to the rim, so they could close out hard because, hey, what is Matt Bonner, Leonard, Green, or Neal going to do? Go dunk on Serge Ibaka? Well, Leonard can. He just didn't. This year he will.

esparzar1 07-18-12 06:11 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens this year. All I know is that I'm "all in" on the bandwagon with K. Leo.....then again, I always have been "all in" with this kid.....lol

esparzar1 07-18-12 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1283477)
Oh no! I'm fine with the potential that Leonard has shown. I'm (Pop mode) "thrilled" with what I hear about how he's doing.

But, if the Spurs have to rely on their best perimeter defender to also be the second best scorer, then there are other problems on the team. I'd love to be proven wrong, with Leonard going for 18+ while playing lock down defense.

However, I think that the role he will be asked to play next year will be similar to the Bowen role. Play defense like a mutha, and be ready for the occasional shot. Get to the spot you like, and Tony will find you when he needs to. And get back on defense.

Maybe I just have really high expectation from this kid. But how many folks have said he's a Iggy/Marion/Deng/G. Wallace type of player? If they can avg. 15-18 ppg while still playing good D, I see no reason why he can't. I think he's easily has the above mentioned players abilities....we shall see!

tenthousandaces 07-18-12 07:13 PM

I also liked what I saw in the highlights, but let's face it, OKC, Miami and LA aren't going to allow Leonard to play this well on a consistent basis once the regular season starts. Imagine being defended by James, Artest, and Durant and their respective teams.

I'm encouraged and hopeful though.

katyspursfan 07-18-12 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar (Post 1283478)
I don't think his role will be that limited. That's what he was doing at the end of the year this season. This year I think he will have more freedom to drive and create, especially off defensive rebounds. Not to mention he will have better ability/freedom to drive after being kicked the ball by Manu or TP. That was a limitation for us vs OKC that they knew nobody but TP or Manu would go to the rim, so they could close out hard because, hey, what is Matt Bonner, Leonard, Green, or Neal going to do? Go dunk on Serge Ibaka? Well, Leonard can. He just didn't. This year he will.

If I implied he would only shoot spot up threes, then that's my mistake.

My thoughts for the coming year is that he will need to be ready at all times. He won't be the first, second or third options. But when his opportunity comes, have at it. Get into the transition game.

And get back on defense.

Uwe Blab 07-18-12 07:41 PM

Unfortunately, TD and Manu aren't going to average more than 14pts a game anymore. That's all fine and dandy to have a bunch of guys averaging in the low teens during the regular season. But you have to have more than one 20pt scorer in today's NBA, and our main guy most of the time doesn't even get to 20pts a game. Point is, the Spurs NEED another main scorer. If it's KY, I'm not complaining, we'll figure out something else defensively.

RealMadrid12 07-18-12 08:02 PM

I agree we need someone else to take the load off Manu, TD and Parker I am all for Leonard to be the guy I just hope he doesnt forget how to defend and rebound and think he is a scorer , the team can score less and defend better is how we won ships before

spursfan9 07-19-12 12:19 AM

when's that rookie contract over?

cause im sure the knicks lal orl or whoever are excited to sign him

esparzar1 09-25-12 02:14 PM

bump......can't get off KLEO's jock.....lol. Nothing else to talk about....excited to see what he does in his second year :rock :rock :rock