News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-18-12, 02:41 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Raja Bell

Chris Tomasson

• If the Heat haven't contacted the agent for Raja Bell 9 days after the agent (Herb Rudoy) was given permission by Utah to shop for a new team for Bell it sure doesn't sound as if they have much interest at this point. The Heat have two open roster spots. One figures to go to a player they want to develop and one they might want to keep open for a while in case Mike Miller's injury results in them getting a $2.9 million disabled player exception or to hold for a free agent they like that might fall through the cracks and is willing to play for the minimum.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-12, 09:11 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Isn't Bell well past his prime?
Old 07-18-12, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
still can defend and shoot the 3. he's been on teams that haven't been good at giving him help at all (Suns, Bobcats, Jazz).

he'd do well here. i wonder what Pop does with the rotations, but it doesn't look like we're going to get a big anyway.
Old 07-18-12, 12:28 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I don't mind Bell but when would he ever play?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-12, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

first thing that came out of my mind. He is past his prime.
Old 07-18-12, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
first thing that came out of my mind. He is past his prime.
played in 34 games in 23mpg:

6ppg, 47 FG%, 39% 3FG

even past his prime, that's a heck of a lot better than most guys who are role players in their prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
there's way too many guards as it is. i think there has to be a move that's made with some guards or moving bigs. i'm kind of getting a random feeling we may be seeing Stephen Jackson in a PF capacity more next season.
Old 07-18-12, 02:51 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I've always liked Bell for his tough defense but have to agree, when would he play. I'm sure Manu wouldn't mind having him on board. Manu has said in past interviews that he doesn't look forward to games where Bell has to guard him.
Old 07-18-12, 04:20 PM
The Master Baiter

Bell has played tough defense in the past, but he's lost a step and is coming off a knee injury. That wouldn't stop him from shooting well, but the Spurs don't need that. We'd be looking at a 2008 version of Bruce Bowen with a 2012 Duncan not able to protect the rim.
Old 07-18-12, 05:35 PM

Adding a 36 year old guard to this squad doesn't make a lot of sense. There's no way he's staying in front of the young players out there, and he'd make the team even less athletic.

Uwe's right, we need defensive stoppers not more gunners and as an old guy I have a lot more faith in our young guys improving than I would have in adding another old guy.
Old 07-18-12, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Adding a 36 year old guard to this squad doesn't make a lot of sense. There's no way he's staying in front of the young players out there, and he'd make the team even less athletic.

Uwe's right, we need defensive stoppers not more gunners and as an old guy I have a lot more faith in our young guys improving than I would have in adding another old guy.
Bell's been clutch throughout his playoffs career. the guy can still stay in front of guys, he just needs help (everyone needs help, Bowen in his prime did and Kawhi does right now). i think adding a 36 year old playoff veteran would've been better than re-signing Danny Green, a young guy who couldn't keep in front of Thabo and not make a shot in the playoffs, for $4 million. we were plenty athletic last year with Leonard/Green/Diaw/Parker and we couldn't stop the non athletic guys like Thabo & Perkins
Old 07-18-12, 06:36 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Bell's been clutch throughout his playoffs career. the guy can still stay in front of guys, he just needs help (everyone needs help, Bowen in his prime did and Kawhi does right now). i think adding a 36 year old playoff veteran would've been better than re-signing Danny Green, a young guy who couldn't keep in front of Thabo and not make a shot in the playoffs, for $4 million. we were plenty athletic last year with Leonard/Green/Diaw/Parker and we couldn't stop the non athletic guys like Thabo & Perkins
Bowen had a Prime TD, though. But even so, after 2006, Bowen needed quite a bit of help. He wasn't the same. That's where Bell is now. I do agree that for the money, Bell would have been better than Green.
Old 07-18-12, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I do agree that for the money, Bell would have been better than Green.
But not in 2-3 years he wouldn't and I don't even think so for next year. He's not going to regain a step, his knee isn't going to get stronger. We have a tendency to judge these players on who they used to be, not on who they are.

Now at the end of next season if Green hasn't grown in his game, then well...but I'm going to be optimistic and predict that by then nobody on this board will mention 'ah I wish we would have signed Bell'
Old 07-18-12, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
played in 34 games in 23mpg:

6ppg, 47 FG%, 39% 3FG

even past his prime, that's a heck of a lot better than most guys who are role players in their prime.

there's way too many guards as it is. i think there has to be a move that's made with some guards or moving bigs. i'm kind of getting a random feeling we may be seeing Stephen Jackson in a PF capacity more next season.
Those numbers of 6ppg, 47 FG and 39% 3's means to me he shot the ball like three times a game only so it is why the high percentage?? is like saying Kobe averaged 29ppg but shot like a hundred times..ha what i mean by this comment is that come playoff time he will not be this efficient! I could be wrong
Old 07-19-12, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

can he still defend? I did not see him ONCE last year, i truly have no idea. I believe that Bell WILL NOT disappear in the playoffs ala Bonner, Green. Maybe danny will do better next year but they are putting a lot on that bet.
Old 07-19-12, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
Those numbers of 6ppg, 47 FG and 39% 3's means to me he shot the ball like three times a game only so it is why the high percentage?? is like saying Kobe averaged 29ppg but shot like a hundred times..ha what i mean by this comment is that come playoff time he will not be this efficient! I could be wrong
that's around par for Matt Bonner ppg and all he does is shot 3 pointers (regular season when Bonner is really good anyway).
Old 07-22-12, 02:00 AM
The Amazing!

YES!!! Ohh wait this is 2012 not 2006...forget it... Pass.
Old 07-23-12, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Past his prime? No. Raja Bell is as much a punk now as he has ever been.

Old 07-23-12, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice13 View Post
Past his prime? No. Raja Bell is as much a punk now as he has ever been.
THIS IS WHEN YOU MAKE A RETURN POST?!

same ol' Maurice!
Old 07-23-12, 05:45 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

He hates the Spurs...he would never come here. (hopefully)

Old 07-23-12, 10:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

the spurs can still kick themselves for choosing Derrick Dial over Raja Bell.
Old 07-24-12, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
the spurs can still kick themselves for choosing Derrick Dial over Raja Bell.
Why? He was undrafted and signed his first contract with the Spurs...

ahhh...you mean choosing, not drafting. I doubt the Spurs have ever given a hoot about Raja Bell, you know since we had Bruce Bowen and all

Old 07-24-12, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Why? He was undrafted and signed his first contract with the Spurs...

ahhh...you mean choosing, not drafting. I doubt the Spurs have ever given a hoot about Raja Bell, you know since we had Bruce Bowen and all
didn't we want him next to Bowen but had no money? so he went to the Mavs
Old 07-24-12, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
didn't we want him next to Bowen but had no money? so he went to the Mavs
I don't know...we signed him, and I remember him being in camp, but he never played a game...

Oct 30, 2000

The San Antonio Spurs placed the contract of Raja Bell on waivers.

Read more: San Antonio Spurs Transactions - RealGM

Then he signed with the sixers in April...

Spurs wings that year

Derrick Anderson
Antonio Daniels
Sean Elliott
Jaren Jackson
Steve Kerr
Danny Ferry
Derrick Dial

No Bruce yet...not til next year...just saying that I doubt we missed Bell much, plus not sure if there was any room for a young punk on that year's team.

Bell signed with the Mavs in Oct 2002...didn't need him that year

Old 07-24-12, 03:45 PM
The Master Baiter

If they had kept Bell in 2000 they may have never drafted Manu. So really, no point in faulting them, it worked out better in the long run.
Old 07-24-12, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

drafted Manu in 1999...but I was thinking about how signing Bell in Oct 2002 and Manu getting hurt early in that season may have altered that season a tad...

Old 07-24-12, 05:16 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
drafted Manu in 1999...but I was thinking about how signing Bell in Oct 2002 and Manu getting hurt early in that season may have altered that season a tad...
My bad, either way, they may not have brought him over.
Old 07-24-12, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

pop told larry brown to look at him and he did that is why the sixers signed him
Old 07-25-12, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Member

he was in the spurs camp as a free agent. SA did not have a roster spot for him because they choose to give it to derrick dial. and pop did like him a lot so he referred him over to coach brown.