News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-12, 06:58 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Michael Jordan laughs at Kobe's claim of outdoing the Dream Team

Michael Jordan says he "absolutely laughed" when he heard Kobe Bryant's assertion that this year's USA Olympic basketball team could beat the 1992 Dream Team. (Phil Velasquez / Chicago Sun-Times )
By Melissa Rohlin
July 12, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

Michael Jordan sharply disagreed with Kobe Bryant's claim that this year's USA Olympic basketball team could beat the 1992 Dream Team.

"For him to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done," Jordan told the Associated Press before playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Charlotte, N.C., on Thursday.

The 1992 Dream Team took home the gold medal, winning its six Olympic games by an average of more than 43 points. The team included 11 future Hall of Famers, including Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Jordan.

Jordan found Bryant's assertion so absurd that he said he "absolutely laughed" when he heard it.

Bryant recently said some of the Dream Team's players were "a lot older, kind of at the end of their careers."

"We have just a bunch of young race horses, you know, guys that are eager to compete. So I don't know, it would be a tough one, but I think we'd pull it out," Bryant said of this year's USA Olympic basketball team, which includes LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

Jordan rebutted Bryant's argument by saying that most of the members of the 1992 Dream team were "in the prime of our careers."

"I heard Kobe say we were not athletic," Jordan said. "But we were smart. He said we were too old, but I was 29 and in the prime of my career. Pip [Scottie Pippen] was 26 or 27, [Charles] Barkley was 29, Patrick [Ewing] was 29 and Chris Mullin was 29. Almost everybody was still in their 20s."

Jordan intimated that this topic doesn't even deserve a debate.
"Remember now, they learned from us," Jordan said. "We didn't learn from them."

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 07-14-12 at 07:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-12, 07:05 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
..........."Remember now, they learned from us," Jordan said. "We didn't learn from them."
No truer words have ever been said. Can I get an Amen? A hallelujah?

Praise the Lord!!
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-12, 09:45 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

JORDAN sons Kobe.... I like it.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-15-12, 12:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Kobe kinda has a point. While the original dream team was dominant, the competition wasn't. Also, they had a full roster of HOFs. If the current team had Howard, Hibbard, Wade, and Rose instead of Chandler, Harden, Iguodala, and Davis, the case would be stronger. Maybe the original team was smarter with the exception of Barkley, but Stockton, Bird, Mullen, Drexler, Pippen, and Laettner would in no way be able to keep up defensively with their current counterparts. Even the front court match up of Drob, Ewing, Malone, and Barkley would be questionable against Howard, Hibbard, and Love. Maybe one more PF/C would help (Bynum, Duncan, Garnet, Aldridge, Griffin, Jefferson, Cousins, Boozer) instead of DWill.

Just my thoughts. We'll never know.