News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-12, 11:08 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Elton Brand hopes to not be claimed after amnestied, may consider Spurs?

Quote:
Ideally, Brand would want to clear waivers, according to the source. If no team submitted a claim, he would become an unrestricted free agent and would be able to sign with any team, including those over the cap, as long as they had cap exceptions.
Brand Hoping To Be Claimed By Mavs

Quote:
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Brand link: Brand Hoping To Be Claimed By Mavs Again, Brand hopes not 2 b claimed at all. If that happened, wouldn't surprise if Nets/Spurs were on list.
Brand Hoping To Be Claimed By Mavs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-12, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

wouldn't be surprised if Cuban claimed him just so he doesn't go to the Spurs.

I would if I were him.

Brand would be Excellent at the vet min.
Old 07-12-12, 08:43 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

how long do teams have to submit a claim? Is there a certian dealine? I'd love to scoop him up if the prce is right.
Old 07-12-12, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

wow if happend, a heck of veteran core to mix with the young guns...

ginobili, jackson, duncan, brand... diaw, parker (not that old)
Old 07-12-12, 09:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

From the ESPN Rumor page

9:43
AM ET
Elton Brand | 76ers
RECOMMEND1COMMENTS0EMAIL

The Philadelphia 76ers waived Elton Brand on Wednesday and removed him from their salary cap by using the amnesty provision on his contract.

A good number of teams with cap room will likely put in a bid for him and the Dallas Mavericks are doing everything they can to make theirs the highest. The Mavs increased their cap room on Wednesday by waiving Brendon Haywood via the amnesty provision.

If it's up to Brand, he will end up in Dallas, reports David Aldridge of NBA.com.

According to Aldridge, the Cavaliers, Bucks and Raptors have no interest in Brand.
Old 07-12-12, 09:21 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I don't see how the Mavs would have cap space to accept Brand's contract off waivers. Don't they have to be far enough under to absorb his salary under the cap?

If they waive Haywood, they would be, but didn't they sign Kaman to an $8mil deal?

So I see their salaries at $45mil plus Kaman minus Haywood, then with Brand's contract at $18mil they'd be $5mil over the cap. Can they do that? That's not even counting the trade for Collison & Jones, which makes it even closer to the cap for them.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot. You can bid up to the value of the contract and whoever bids to pay the most gets to claim him. So in that case I can easily see how they would have the ability to bring him in. I doubt anybody's going to bid that high for him and the Mavs have a lot of space to work with but few willing to sign there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-12, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I don't see how the Mavs would have cap space to accept Brand's contract off waivers. Don't they have to be far enough under to absorb his salary under the cap?

If they waive Haywood, they would be, but didn't they sign Kaman to an $8mil deal?

So I see their salaries at $45mil plus Kaman minus Haywood, then with Brand's contract at $18mil they'd be $5mil over the cap. Can they do that? That's not even counting the trade for Collison & Jones, which makes it even closer to the cap for them.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot. You can bid up to the value of the contract and whoever bids to pay the most gets to claim him. So in that case I can easily see how they would have the ability to bring him in. I doubt anybody's going to bid that high for him and the Mavs have a lot of space to work with but few willing to sign there.
They don't have to accept his entire contract. All they have to do is put a bid in to assume some of the contract. The teams with cap space can bid to assume any % of his contract as long as it doesn't take that team above the cap. The team that bids the most wins. So Dallas could bid all of their cap space if they wanted to. If no one bids, then he becomes a free agent.

EDIT:

Maybe I should have read your entire post before I commented. Doh!