News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-12, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Article: Spurs current roster brings back winning team, trade options

With the Spurs likely re-signing Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills and Tim Duncan in the coming days, while reportedly bringing in Nando De Colo on a two-year deal, the Spurs roster is fairly set. As far as the rest of free agency is concerned, the Spurs don’t have a lot of wiggle room left over.
Eleven players on the Spurs roster will enter next season with guaranteed deals. I don’t know what the first years of De Colo and Mills’ contracts are worth, but you can expect the Spurs to come close to the $70.3 million luxury tax line the NBA set for the 2012-13 season.
Throw in unguaranteed contracts for DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal and Derrick Byars, and you’ve got yourself a pretty full roster at this point. And that’s before we figure out what San Antonio ends up doing with second round draft pick Marcus Denmon.
As Zach Lowe said yesterday at The Point Forward, it’s not a bad idea for the Spurs to bring back essentially the same group as last year. The Spurs’ peak last season was arguably higher than any team’s in the league, the only problem being their peak started and ended couple of weeks too early.

Full report: Spurs current roster brings back winning team, trade options | 48 Minutes of Hell
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-12, 11:43 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Question is, how much better can a team get by having an offseason of prep, a full training camp, and having gone through the playoffs together?

I mean, their chemistry was the highlight of the second half of the year. This isn't like we struggled on how to integrate Sjax and Diaw. We played our best ball with them (plus Manu healthy).

So I'm sure we'll win a lot of games, but doubting that it'll be any different when we run into a team like OKC in the playoffs again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-12, 12:00 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
San Antonio can offer a team any size of contract in a deal whether it’s large (Stephen Jackson, $10 million next season), medium (Tiago Splitter, $3.9 mil or Matt Bonner, $3.4 mil) or small (Blair, $1 mil or Neal, $850K). They’ve also got expiring contracts (Manu Ginobili, Jackson, Blair, Neal) and unguaranteed ones (Blair, Neal) that could be appealing to a team looking to shed salary at the trade deadline in February.
I've been saying this all along. TP is NOT the only attractive trade piece they have. There's a number of things they can do, including trading Manu. But I don't think they will do it.
Old 07-11-12, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Question is, how much better can a team get by having an offseason of prep, a full training camp, and having gone through the playoffs together?

I mean, their chemistry was the highlight of the second half of the year. This isn't like we struggled on how to integrate Sjax and Diaw. We played our best ball with them (plus Manu healthy).

So I'm sure we'll win a lot of games, but doubting that it'll be any different when we run into a team like OKC in the playoffs again.
i think the team got a bit timid at the end with the new pieces. Diaw would mainly distribute instead of score, Manu looked at that also, Parker never adjusted to the defense (maybe because he didn't know how to with new teammates). no one wanted to be "the guy" with new pieces who could be "the guy" at some point during the game. just my opinion though (or at least hoping we were good enough).
Old 07-11-12, 12:26 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

If it ain't broke......don't fix it. I like the fact that the Spurs kept their enitre roster intact. Mills/De Colo will hopefully play a bigger factor in the back-up position. That IMO, was really the Spurs only downfall last year. They had adaquete size, decent length, solid defensively, exceptional on the offensive side. But when TP9 went out, it was an enitrly different team. If Mills can step up and give the Spurs a solid 10-15 min a night, then I still like our chances
Old 07-11-12, 12:34 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Best line in the article "Oh, and they have until July 17 to amnesty Matt Bonner.":drummer
Old 07-11-12, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
If it ain't broke......don't fix it.
we didn't win a title, it is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Best line in the article "Oh, and they have until July 17 to amnesty Matt Bonner.":drummer
keeping our hopes up!
Old 07-11-12, 12:39 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Amnesty a guy over $3mil? I guess maybe if you had somebody else to put in that roster spot, but wow, that's a tough move to make.

I guess you could factor in the potential luxury tax, but then they can avoid that simply by cutting Neal or Blair and not paying him.
Old 07-11-12, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Amnesty a guy over $3mil? I guess maybe if you had somebody else to put in that roster spot, but wow, that's a tough move to make.

I guess you could factor in the potential luxury tax, but then they can avoid that simply by cutting Neal or Blair and not paying him.
i wish they'd do it just to cut the temptation Pop has for playing the guy
Old 07-11-12, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

I like the sound of that (if we can't find a worthwhile trade).
Old 07-11-12, 12:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
With the Spurs likely re-signing Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills and Tim Duncan in the coming days, while reportedly bringing in Nando De Colo on a two-year deal, the Spurs roster is fairly set. As far as the rest of free agency is concerned, the Spurs don’t have a lot of wiggle room left over.
Eleven players on the Spurs roster will enter next season with guaranteed deals. I don’t know what the first years of De Colo and Mills’ contracts are worth, but you can expect the Spurs to come close to the $70.3 million luxury tax line the NBA set for the 2012-13 season.
Throw in unguaranteed contracts for DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal and Derrick Byars, and you’ve got yourself a pretty full roster at this point. And that’s before we figure out what San Antonio ends up doing with second round draft pick Marcus Denmon.
As Zach Lowe said yesterday at The Point Forward, it’s not a bad idea for the Spurs to bring back essentially the same group as last year. The Spurs’ peak last season was arguably higher than any team’s in the league, the only problem being their peak started and ended couple of weeks too early.

Full report: Spurs current roster brings back winning team, trade options | 48 Minutes of Hell
Quote from the article:

(I know you want the Spurs to get rid of Matt Bonner),

Damn is this guy a mind reader?......lol