News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-12, 04:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Rashard Lewis Considering Spurs (and 4 others)

Take it for what it is.

Rashard Lewis Eyeing Five Teams: Hoops Rumors

When Rashard Lewis clears waivers, he'll likely be looking to sign with one of five teams, according to the New York Post's Marc Berman. Berman names the Knicks, Heat, Spurs, Hawks, and Lakers as the clubs on Lewis' "short list."

Despite being released by the Hornets, Lewis will still earn nearly $14MM in guaranteed salary from New Orleans, so he isn't expected to be seeking another big payday this summer. According to Berman, Lewis has interest in the $3.09MM mini mid-level exception, and could potentially be persuaded to sign for the veteran's minimum for the right opportunity with a title contender.
Yesterday we heard that Lewis' agent Tony Dutt has had multiple conversations with the Heat. If Lewis is seeking a chance at a championship, Miami figures to be the favorite over New York, as Berman points out in his article.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-12, 05:40 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

But are Spurs listing him? At what price tag?
Old 07-03-12, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Why not go after him if he is willing to take less money.

Trade gary neal and manu to utah for al jefferson a first round pick and have the jazz pick up 5 or 6 million of jefferson salary. The jazz would love to dump al. And need shooters.

Them turn around and sign lewis and randolph. Moving leonard to SG with green backing him up. Then duncan and jefferson start as our bigs with randolph and splitter as back ups. And boner as the fifth big. Lewis starts at the 3 with jackson as the big.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-12, 06:37 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

As long as he replaces Bonner I'd be happy, he could be the next Diaw where he gets motivated playing for a contender. All he's got to do is knockdown his wide open 3s.

If they somehow get Lorbek/Diaw and Lewis I cannot see Bonner staying on the roster, that's 3 stretch big men making Bonner's role pretty useless.

Bonner+Blair for a 2013 1st round pick makes the most sense IMO.
Old 07-03-12, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
Why not go after him if he is willing to take less money.

Trade gary neal and manu to utah for al jefferson a first round pick and have the jazz pick up 5 or 6 million of jefferson salary. The jazz would love to dump al. And need shooters.

Them turn around and sign lewis and randolph. Moving leonard to SG with green backing him up. Then duncan and jefferson start as our bigs with randolph and splitter as back ups. And boner as the fifth big. Lewis starts at the 3 with jackson as the big.
WHAT?! lol that's insane. if we were to trade Manu and Neal for a big, we'd suddenly be lacking guards especially if we lose out on Green.

no trading, especially not a 2 for 1 with one of our Big 3. Parker is the only tradeable one, we gotta accept that before throwing out any trade ideas. if they really want to get rid of Jefferson's contract, there's way better offers than an injury prone Manu and an undersized SG who can't handle the rock (they have a lot of PG's now anyway).

btw Rashard Lewis can't play the 3 anymore. heck, with his bad knees, i doubt he can play the Power Forward position. he's worse than Antawn Jamison is health wise.
Old 07-03-12, 07:42 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

He's considering us now? Well I like him then. He's still got game!
Old 07-03-12, 08:16 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
WHAT?! lol that's insane. if we were to trade Manu and Neal for a big, we'd suddenly be lacking guards especially if we lose out on Green.

no trading, especially not a 2 for 1 with one of our Big 3. Parker is the only tradeable one, we gotta accept that before throwing out any trade ideas. if they really want to get rid of Jefferson's contract, there's way better offers than an injury prone Manu and an undersized SG who can't handle the rock (they have a lot of PG's now anyway).

btw Rashard Lewis can't play the 3 anymore. heck, with his bad knees, i doubt he can play the Power Forward position. he's worse than Antawn Jamison is health wise.
Oh Jose, you devalue Manu when people talk about trading him and then overvalue him when people talk about his diminished play. Just admit it, you simply do not want him traded no matter what. But in reality, he and his contract ARE still attractive to some teams, particularly one that may want to clear space. If Joe Johnson's contract can be traded, then anything is possible. And Manu's trade kicker is a mere 5%, so that really isn't a deterrent. And also remember, last year after the Spurs lost to the Grizzlies, they made it known that everyone except for Duncan was available for trade. So, no, Tony is NOT the only tradeable one.
Old 07-03-12, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Let's not sign another 3 point shooter who can't defend..
Old 07-03-12, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Oh Jose, you devalue Manu when people talk about trading him and then overvalue him when people talk about his diminished play. Just admit it, you simply do not want him traded no matter what. But in reality, he and his contract ARE still attractive to some teams, particularly one that may want to clear space. If Joe Johnson's contract can be traded, then anything is possible. And Manu's trade kicker is a mere 5%, so that really isn't a deterrent. And also remember, last year after the Spurs lost to the Grizzlies, they made it known that everyone except for Duncan was available for trade. So, no, Tony is NOT the only tradeable one.
not in a 2 for 1 where we give up either Parker/Manu/Duncan for one player (especially a player who got owned by the Spurs the whole playoffs). that just wouldn't make sense.

are you comparing Joe Johnson's $19 million contract while still young to Manu's $10 million while he's old and injury prone?

that's not even a fair comparison. Manu's contract is attractive to who exactly? can you name some teams who realistically would trade for him? what contender would give up $10 million in rotational players (because we're still contending) for one player who may get hurt every other game? what about a lottery team who won't be going anywhere and just renting out an injury prone player who'll leave the next season anyway leaving them in the same situation?

i'm staying consistent on Manu. no one would realistically trade for him, but Al Jefferson for Manu straight up would still be a bad deal for us because Jefferson can only work backing down opponents (slowed down Utah's game, imagine the Spurs who want to run?) and can't defend well anyway. like someone said earlier, trading Manu would be ticket sale suicide in San Antonio, that's why his value is so high to the Spurs and not as attractive to other franchises.

you just don't like the guy as people have stated. you sir, devalue him as a Spur and over value him in trades apparently because you would trade him for slow centers or any other player.
Old 07-03-12, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVas View Post
Let's not sign another 3 point shooter who can't defend..
I hear you. I don't mind signing him, but let's keep our focus on our NEEDS and not just whoever we can get, even if they're good at what they do. We have specific deficits on this roster that Lewis doesn't do anything about.

Unless you are into affirmative action on 6'10" shooters who don't do much for us defensively.
Old 07-04-12, 12:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

I guess you decided to skip the part about leonard moving to SG? You were so worried about proving your rightness you didn't even read did you? Leonard, green, and de colo does not leaves us shallow.

Also just so you know utah would not be using neal as a point guard!
Utah is in dire need of shooting. I was listening to kevin oconner the jazz GM today. And he was taking about how moe williams brings that outside shooting they desperately need. And they are still looking to upgrade there. And the talk here in utah is trying to get rid of one of the bigs to get favors more playing time. And al jefferson contract is a real hindrance to utah. People here would love to take manu for a year or two.

As for your whole 2 for 1 I guess you decided to ignore the draft pick too? Utah gets golden state first rounder next year. So they will have two with an already extremely young team. We would get the earlier of the two picks.

It's alright though everyone here already thinks your the smartest smart that has ever visited this board.
Old 07-04-12, 12:26 AM

It wouldn't work to have Leonard play anything more than spot minutes at the 2 because he can't create off the dribble consistently yet. So we'd just have one attacker.
Old 07-04-12, 12:45 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
not in a 2 for 1 where we give up either Parker/Manu/Duncan for one player (especially a player who got owned by the Spurs the whole playoffs). that just wouldn't make sense.

are you comparing Joe Johnson's $19 million contract while still young to Manu's $10 million while he's old and injury prone?

that's not even a fair comparison. Manu's contract is attractive to who exactly? can you name some teams who realistically would trade for him? what contender would give up $10 million in rotational players (because we're still contending) for one player who may get hurt every other game? what about a lottery team who won't be going anywhere and just renting out an injury prone player who'll leave the next season anyway leaving them in the same situation?

i'm staying consistent on Manu. no one would realistically trade for him, but Al Jefferson for Manu straight up would still be a bad deal for us because Jefferson can only work backing down opponents (slowed down Utah's game, imagine the Spurs who want to run?) and can't defend well anyway. like someone said earlier, trading Manu would be ticket sale suicide in San Antonio, that's why his value is so high to the Spurs and not as attractive to other franchises.

you just don't like the guy as people have stated. you sir, devalue him as a Spur and over value him in trades apparently because you would trade him for slow centers or any other player.
I never said 2 for 1 or agree with the proposed trade above, I'm simply saying it's not out of the realm of possibility. And I'm not talking about contenders trading FOR Manu. I'm talking about teams ready to clean house for the next year, like Atlanta. There are a million scenarios that could happen, and no, you haven't thought of them all. Did anyone have any clue that the Hawks would trade Joe Johnson? As far as comparison, they are both vastly overpaid (Johnson at 21.5mil and Manu at 14mil). I'm looking at contract amount, expiring contract, and his efficiency as a player. All those are still attractive, like it or not.

As far as ticket sales, that's just ridiculous. If the fair weather fans (or Argentinians) don't come to the games because Manu is gone, then their seats will be taken by true Spurs fans. The team didn't file for bankruptcy when it traded Gervin to Chicago, did they? (I hated that they did that, but I'm still a Spurs fan).

Look, as I've said before, it's not that I don't like the guy. I just don't hold him on a pedestal like most do. His time has come and gone. He's not a legendary transcendent player like Tim, so you don't have to hang on to him until the bitter end. At this point in his career he's a role player. So why not see what you can get for him? I'm sure they are doing that with Tony too.
Old 07-04-12, 01:53 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I never said 2 for 1 or agree with the proposed trade above, I'm simply saying it's not out of the realm of possibility. And I'm not talking about contenders trading FOR Manu. I'm talking about teams ready to clean house for the next year, like Atlanta. There are a million scenarios that could happen, and no, you haven't thought of them all. Did anyone have any clue that the Hawks would trade Joe Johnson? As far as comparison, they are both vastly overpaid (Johnson at 21.5mil and Manu at 14mil). I'm looking at contract amount, expiring contract, and his efficiency as a player. All those are still attractive, like it or not.

As far as ticket sales, that's just ridiculous. If the fair weather fans (or Argentinians) don't come to the games because Manu is gone, then their seats will be taken by true Spurs fans. The team didn't file for bankruptcy when it traded Gervin to Chicago, did they? (I hated that they did that, but I'm still a Spurs fan).

Look, as I've said before, it's not that I don't like the guy. I just don't hold him on a pedestal like most do. His time has come and gone. He's not a legendary transcendent player like Tim, so you don't have to hang on to him until the bitter end. At this point in his career he's a role player. So why not see what you can get for him? I'm sure they are doing that with Tony too.
dude i am not argentinian at all , he did bring you at least two chips and you know it, did JJOHNSON DID IT FOR Atlanta or suns, i love my spurs since d robinson days but we did not win crap until Duncan came along and we did not become a dynasty until Manu and Tony parker came too , New york , LA AND All the big market hate us because we got Manu and tony came along to help Duncan , Manu made us better just like Pippen made Jordan better accept it and learn it , it is not a pedestal but he made it happen, who had the ball or balls at the end of the games for the last friggin 6 years, it wasnt Tony or TD(Although i would like for him to have it) it was manu right or wrong, he was the man and you know it , pop knows it, TD knows it and the whole NBA knows it, we were a truly dynasty ask Kobe Bean Bryant when he said that Manu was a bad dude.
Old 07-04-12, 02:39 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Honestly, with all that money in his pocket, he would be crazy to pick SA over NY or Miami.

Plus he already didn't get along with Popovich protoge Monty Williams, why would he really want to jump from the frying pan into the fire?
Old 07-04-12, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
I guess you decided to skip the part about leonard moving to SG? You were so worried about proving your rightness you didn't even read did you? Leonard, green, and de colo does not leaves us shallow.

It's alright though everyone here already thinks your the smartest smart that has ever visited this board.
because of the nickname i've had since 2nd grade?

i saw that Leonard moves into the 2, but you're implying he can play the 2. i think he can play the SG position if only we have a creator off the dribble in the SF position (the players on that list really wind down). if you wanna go with Al Jefferson at the 4 with Duncan at the 5 with 2 spot up shooters in the 2-3 positions alongside Parker, you're basically going with the 2003-2009 Spurs offense except Duncan can't post up and Parker can't go off the dribble anymore because of his lack of speed from years past.

also add in everyone would play us man defense and TD can't pick and roll much anymore and Al Jefferson doesn't even Pick and Anything. if you need further proof about how it's not so easy to put a SF into the SG position without a really good SF, check out our offense when we had Bruce Bowen at SG and Hedo at SF in 2004 and how we couldn't score vs. the Lakers.

i doubt Leonard can play the SG position anyway. if you look at the draft, the versatility is always emphasized when they have a characteristic that's attractive in one position (i.e. a 6'10" SF instead of a PF, a 6'7" SG instead of a 6'7" SF, an athletic PF instead of an established SF, etc.)
Old 07-04-12, 03:24 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
dude i am not argentinian at all , he did bring you at least two chips and you know it, did JJOHNSON DID IT FOR Atlanta or suns, i love my spurs since d robinson days but we did not win crap until Duncan came along and we did not become a dynasty until Manu and Tony parker came too , New york , LA AND All the big market hate us because we got Manu and tony came along to help Duncan , Manu made us better just like Pippen made Jordan better accept it and learn it , it is not a pedestal but he made it happen, who had the ball or balls at the end of the games for the last friggin 6 years, it wasnt Tony or TD(Although i would like for him to have it) it was manu right or wrong, he was the man and you know it , pop knows it, TD knows it and the whole NBA knows it, we were a truly dynasty ask Kobe Bean Bryant when he said that Manu was a bad dude.
I did not mean that Argentinians are fair weather fans, if that's how you read it. Just that the "Manu Only" fans will leave. And I'm not disputing his worth during the championship years. His best years were from 2005 to end of 2008 regular season. That's when he was at his best. Since then, he has been injured during every playoff run except this year. He's had his time as a legit star on this team. That's all I'm saying. But this proves my point about putting him on a pedestal. Every time I talk about Manu, someone literally gets offended like I've insulted their child or something.
Old 07-04-12, 07:56 AM
Black and Silver Galore

one thing in Lewis is his drive to get better and condition,
Old 07-04-12, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Honestly, with all that money in his pocket, he would be crazy to pick SA over NY or Miami.

Plus he already didn't get along with Popovich protoge Monty Williams, why would he really want to jump from the frying pan into the fire?

Except I Am not sure Miami would want him over some of the other free agents that might be attracted to Miami. I live in New York and actually like the Knicks being good (Since I work with a ton of fans and happy boss makes me happy lol, and get free games ) However I am not sure the Knicks are a true contender and that Lewis would like them ovr the other options unless he is trying to get bigger endorsements, or be in a younger New York Vibe locker room
Old 07-04-12, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

does it really matter?

spurs will prob get the most wins in the season w/ whatever team they put together. have great young players step up... look promising. get in championship form.
and then the playoffs will come.
one player injured and it'll be a first round exit. a whole team in sync and it will be a loss to the rolling Thunder
Old 07-05-12, 08:45 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Thanks for the eternal optimism spursfan! I cant wait for next season now! I love the anticipation of an early playoff exit. C'mon man, have some faith, we can beat the thunder. I honestly think that going into the offseason we anticipated teams like memphis and LA being the ones we would have to worry about getting past because of their bigs. well i think that problem is in the past with our up pace tempo that neither team seemed able to hang with very well. But now pop knows there is a new team to worry about. The thunder will be tough for as long as they keep their big 4. (ibaka included) but its looking like that might be a financial problem for them, so lets just see what happens before we doom the spurs to another playoff exit... and dont forget we were in championship form well into the playoffs this year, all the way until game 3 of the WCF... we put together 2 more great games and were in the finals... Im still optimistic!
Old 07-06-12, 03:53 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Like I Said.. With So Many Teams In The Race.. No Way He Ends Up Here... Check out latest tweet...

Alex Kennedy: Rashard Lewis will meet with the Miami Heat this weekend, according to sources. There's mutual interest between Lewis and the Heat. Twitter
Old 07-07-12, 01:59 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Rashard Lewis will meet with the Miami Heat on Sunday afternoon, according to sources close to the forward. There’s mutual interest between Lewis and the Heat, and the two sides could agree to terms on a deal if all goes well this weekend.

NBA PM: Nets, Magic Discuss Howard Trade | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

After spending the last two seasons with the struggling Washington Wizards, the 32-year-old wants to join a contender, and the Heat are near the top of his list. The New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Lakers have also expressed interest in Lewis, according to sources close to the situation.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-net...s-howard-trade
Old 07-08-12, 03:19 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Chris Mannix: Right now the Heat are going all in on Rashard Lewis. He is No. 1 on Miami's list. Expect the VIP treatment for Lewis in meeting tomorrow Twitter