News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-12, 08:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Marcus Camby considering Spurs (4 others)

Your thoughts?

Quote:
The unrestricted free-agent center, Marcus Camby, has narrowed his choices to the New York Knicks, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks and the Houston Rockets, a league source told CSNNW.com.

All of these teams and then some, called Camby's agent, Rick Kaplan, shortly after July 1 hit, inquiring about his services, but at this point in his career, he's primarily considering teams in contention for a championship, the same source said.

I'm being told at the moment, Camby doesn't plan on taking any visits with teams, being that he's been in the league for so long and knows what he is looking for.
Camby, 38, just completed his 16th season and spent the first half of last season as a member of the Portland Trail Blazers before being traded at the trade deadline to the Houston Rockets for Jonny Flynn, Hasheem Thabeet, and a 2012 second round pick that was used to select Will Barton.

He has career averages of 9.7 points per game, 9.9 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks.
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...24&feedID=5212
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-12, 09:25 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Most likely the Spurs are looking at Camby as some sort of fallback option. However, it's also possible that the Spurs are shopping Splitter due to the fact that his price tag is going to be so astronomical next offseason. If you move Splitter, a player like Camby is a must.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-12, 10:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

a site mentions that if he signed for vet minimum then they could still sign Diaw, Maybe Lorbek and still try to trade Blair.

Report: Spurs interested in Camby | July
Old 07-01-12, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sweet camby and josh howard. Maybe our team could all live together in the old folks home too! It would make gameday pick up easier.

Give me randolph and nick young instead.
Old 07-01-12, 11:08 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Camby would actually be a very nice addition. He is a guy I have certainly coveted for the spurs for years. Once again, sad that it only happens when the players at the tail end of his career, but camby can still play and block shots.
Old 07-01-12, 11:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Camby would actually be a very nice addition. He is a guy I have certainly coveted for the spurs for years. Once again, sad that it only happens when the players at the tail end of his career, but camby can still play and block shots.
Not to mention... rebounds and lots of them when healthy.
Old 07-01-12, 11:19 PM

a 7 footer with a mid range jumper and defense. one of the few bigs who can play next to Splitter
Old 07-01-12, 11:49 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

for vet min? Sure, I'd take Camby, he can play solid D, rebound and has a solid jumper. Might be as old as my Grandpa but could still give the Spurs a solid 10-12 min a night
Old 07-01-12, 11:49 PM
The Master Baiter

Camby has problems staying healthy doesn't he? But I suppose beggars can't be choosers.
Old 07-01-12, 11:51 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
Sweet camby and josh howard. Maybe our team could all live together in the old folks home too! It would make gameday pick up easier.

huh? Give me the old guys instead of the immature punks with low IQ and attitudes....just sayin
Old 07-02-12, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
huh? Give me the old guys instead of the immature punks with low IQ and attitudes....just sayin
Signed memphis last year!

And OKC this year!

Unfortunately the game is turning into a younger mans game. We can still be good, but I don't see championships going the old veteran route.
Old 07-02-12, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
i'll agree. there's a greater chance in winning with high IQ veterans than guys we're taking chances on with attitudes and then taking a chance on them with their play
Old 07-02-12, 01:47 AM

Quote:

totally not insulting, but how do you expect to get those guys? we're only going to have around $5-6 million with the MLE, around $1.9 million with the Bi-Annual Exception.

Nick Young himself would command the MLE, while Beasley would take up around 3/4 of it most likely and that's still with us needing more pieces to contend (i.e. Lorbek, De Colo, Diaw) because Bonner/Blair aren't gonna cut it as the 4th bigs.
Old 07-02-12, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

After he went to Houston last season, he averaged 24 minutes with a 19 PER. If we could grab him for the vet min, it would be a steal. He is still worth an MLE if you ask me. Legit big men are just that hard to come by.
Old 07-02-12, 03:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It would be no-brainer for veteran minimum. I'm dreaming Camby in Spurs uniform for several years, he can be an excellent complementary piece of our front-court.
Old 07-02-12, 04:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He'd be a great addition if it doesnt cost us Lorbek, Diaw and De Colo. we need to rid ourselves of Bonner and Blair for something. Let's go FO!

- Confucius
Old 07-02-12, 04:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Spurs have wanted Camby for years. He would really help (not just vanish) in the playoffs. I like it!
Old 07-02-12, 06:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We should have picked up Camby two years ago.
Old 07-02-12, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I would welcome Marcus into the Spurs with open arms. A long defender who can finish and hit a mid range j from time to time. if we could somehow manage to have camby, splitter, lorbek/diaw to rotate with timmay, id be very happy. Im fine keeping either blair or bonner, they both have their uses... but they need to be situational players and one of them needs to go... bonner is a good reg season player, and while that isnt quite as important as hitting a big 3 in the PO, it is still nice to have a guy who can drop 15 points in 15 mins off the bench in a game when our regs might not be lighting it up...
Old 07-02-12, 09:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
totally not insulting, but how do you expect to get those guys? we're only going to have around $5-6 million with the MLE, around $1.9 million with the Bi-Annual Exception.

Nick Young himself would command the MLE, while Beasley would take up around 3/4 of it most likely and that's still with us needing more pieces to contend (i.e. Lorbek, De Colo, Diaw) because Bonner/Blair aren't gonna cut it as the 4th bigs.
Well there isn't much of a difference in money between randolph and young and then camby and howard.

Camby has 8 suitors his price it's going up. Same with howard.
Old 07-02-12, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Well there isn't much of a difference in money between randolph and young and then camby and howard.

no Camby has 5 teams he is interested in and all of them are crunched for money. He wants a contender and is at an age I am sure money is not as important and winning a championship.

Young and Randolph a very very young and can demand huge contracts. Howard has not done much lately and is older. Camby is very old and won't demand a long contract.
Old 07-02-12, 01:14 PM

If Camby just wants a championship then Miami is the obvious destination. Though I believe he is an east coast guy, so maybe that will lure him to Boston or something.

Hard to see what the draw would be for him here, though we sure could use him.
Old 07-02-12, 01:37 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
If Camby just wants a championship then Miami is the obvious destination. Though I believe he is an east coast guy, so maybe that will lure him to Boston or something.

Hard to see what the draw would be for him here, though we sure could use him.
Probably right. The Spurs proved that they are not legitimate contenders, even with the likes of Camby.
Old 07-02-12, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I would Guess Miami as well, however he did make a wisecrack about a superstar having to join another one to win a championship a couple of years ago( along with half the league) so that might be the only derailment.
I think Camby has always been a very classy type of player, old school. He might like to work under Pop with Tim and not have the circus that is Miami. I could be wrong but he never seemed like the type to prefer a city who has its spotlight on it over a professional type team.
Old 07-02-12, 03:12 PM

Quote:

actually yeah. Nick Young would demand the most out of the 3. he could easily be worth $5-8 million per year.

Josh Howard and Camby have suitors, but that doesn't mean the price is going up. one is inconsistent, one is injury prone. Marcus Camby may be worth the MLE due to his overall skills, but he hasn't stayed healthy in a good long while and that will play a part. a contender won't give him more than the bi-annual exception imo
Old 07-02-12, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Whenever a player normally says he is considering the Spurs, he is doing it as leverage to get a sweeter deal with someone else.

If I were Camby, I'd go to the Heat. He can take Juwan Howard's place on the bench.
Old 07-02-12, 04:05 PM

Take Howard's place? He can take Joel Anthony's place.
Old 07-02-12, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Take Howard's place? He can take Joel Anthony's place.
Ha
Old 07-02-12, 04:21 PM
The Eternal Optimist

At this point in his career Camby may be looking beyond the money. Given the way Pop rotates his "senior citizens" from their rockers on the porch, he might be just the ticket as well as helping with the injury prevention. Could also help some of the possible young, incoming bigs. Lots of pluses if he can be had for the right price. Not the greatest fan of his, but he would fill a need and by all accounts neither unbalance the locker room, nor be a minutes problem.
Old 07-02-12, 05:08 PM

The issue about extending his career by being able to play some reduced minutes and take nightspot because of our depth hopefully will be a factor for him. But we always have to keep in mind that is a lot easier for us to talk about taking 1 million versus say 5 million because you've already made 100 million in your career. It's still $4 million additional per year, and Marcus Camby if he went to the highest bidder, could get it.
Old 07-02-12, 10:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would take Camby in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even trade Blair, I would just cut him.

Seriously,

The reason Camby has so many suitors is because everyone knows he is signing a Vet Min contract. I think you can sign players to min contracts and go over the cap. . . . but not sure.
Old 07-02-12, 11:17 PM

Chris Tomasson: Source on anyone who thinks Heat can get Allen for $3M & Camby for minimum: "(Camby) would only be interested in Miami for the $3 million.''
Old 07-02-12, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Chris Tomasson: Source on anyone who thinks Heat can get Allen for $3M & Camby for minimum: "(Camby) would only be interested in Miami for the $3 million.''
i think that's a testament to Camby's personality. with how the Heat played (they flop a lot and then throw elbows like crazy punks), that's never been him. he can push guys around and talk, but it's more of a quiet flash. i think he'll sign for the minimum on a team that shares the ball and where he'll have a key role in the rotation. with Miami going small in the playoffs, he wouldn't get that many minutes.
Old 07-03-12, 09:19 AM
Black and Silver Galore

minimum will do ,good for silver and black
Old 07-03-12, 09:43 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
I'm reading that as Camby would go to the Heat for the minimum but will want more than that if he goes somewhere else.

Ok, now I get it. 3 million is more than the league minimum. Sorry.
Old 07-04-12, 12:43 AM

Camby would be more than a fallback option IMO. Ideally you wouldn't want him to be the only big man you get (obviously we want to make our moves on Diaw, Lorbek, and other possibilities by S&T), but he's a worthwhile target in his own right.