News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-01-12, 04:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Danny Green to Utah?

The Salt Lake Tribune learned Saturday that San Antonio guard Danny Green (restricted free agent) and veteran guard Roger Mason have interest in Utah. Green received a $2.7 million qualifying offer from the Spurs. But he’s open to exploring his options and a league source close to the guard believes Green could be a perfect fit for a Jazz team that enters free agency needing to address 3-point shooting and perimeter defense — two of Green’s main strengths.

NBA: Utah Jazz enter NBA free agency targeting wings, minor change | The Salt Lake Tribune
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-12, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I really don't see 3 point shooting as a strength of Green's on any team other than the Spurs. TP's and Manu's drives, and Duncan's presence makes all those threes a little more wide open than they would be in Utah.

But Danny and the Jazz might have to learn that the hard way.
Old 07-01-12, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

The world doesn't end if the Spurs lose Danny Green. Nice player with a decent IQ. But he folded in the playoffs. $2.7 mil may be more than he's worth (given the Spurs' current payroll). If he can get more elsewhere, he should probably take it.

It'd be great for the Spurs if they could do a sign-and-trade...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-12, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
The world doesn't end if the Spurs lose Danny Green. Nice player with a decent IQ. But he folded in the playoffs. $2.7 mil may be more than he's worth (given the Spurs' current payroll). If he can get more elsewhere, he should probably take it.

It'd be great for the Spurs if they could do a sign-and-trade...
Yes it would, especially since they have a surplus in bigs. The one I would want is Derrick Favors. The Spurs need to see what it would take to get him.
Old 07-01-12, 01:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

That no shot making Motherf***er.
Old 07-01-12, 02:52 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

He tweeted earlier today some thing like "free agency in effect."
Old 07-01-12, 03:03 PM

I don't see anyone on their roster that I would want. They have two categories of players: untouchable jd overpaid.
Old 07-01-12, 03:19 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Let's see now, he has had a total of exactly ONE successful professional year, where he faded at the end and he's acting like he's all that. IMHO, The 2.7 is about what he's worth, sure wouldn't sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal like we did with Bonner and watch it go to his head.

Good luck in Utah Danny.
Old 07-01-12, 04:02 PM

I am pretty sure he will get a three year deal. And I wouldn't say he's acting like he's all that. This is a guy came in on a second round rookie contract. He has yet to get a real NBA payday. I think he deserves a three year $10 million deal, and if he gets more, more power to him.

Right now he is just exploring his options. But I would not be surprised to see Utah offer him a contract. They really don't have anybody with his skill set on the roster, except Rod job Bill.
Old 07-01-12, 04:29 PM

He had a good year, but one thing that's irritating is that I haven't seen him expressing any gratitude to the Spurs for giving him his first true opportunity. If it weren't for the Spurs he'd be playing somewhere in Europe right now, trying out once again for a spot on a summer league team.

And I know I'm naive if I think any of the new generation of players will care about the team that gave them a break, and put them in a situation where they could succeed, but still.

But there's something about this situation that just strikes me as being similar to what we went through the first time with SJax and SJax had helped the Spurs win the Championship, this kid hasn't done squat on a consistent basis yet.

And you're right griz, he'll end up with a 3 year deal somewhere because that's just what happens now days, and the NBA is littered with one year wonders, I just hope that if it's with the Spurs year 3 is a team option.
Old 07-01-12, 07:06 PM
The Master Baiter

Meh, enjoy the polygamists!
Old 07-01-12, 07:32 PM

is it sad the only thing i got from the thread is that Roger Mason Jr. is still in the league?
Old 07-01-12, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Green played well this year, and what I think went unnoticed at times was Green's ability to run the team in a half court set. He made good decisions while Manu was out.

He has the opportunity to sign a great contract and I don't blame him for being excited or for considering other teams.. I do think he will play better in the playoffs.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 07-01-12, 11:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If green leaves what do you all think of leonard moving to the starting two and signing either lewis our beasley to play the three? Jackson and ginobli off the bench still.
Old 07-02-12, 03:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Meh, enjoy the polygamists!
ouch!

I for one like Danny and wish him the best no matter what.

How quickly some of you turn. Geez!
Old 07-02-12, 04:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Green was the only Spurs player to appear in all 66 games during the regular season and averaged 10.3 points in the first two rounds of the playoffs against Utah and the L.A. Clippers.

The Spurs have shown interest in bringing Green back, despite an 8-for-31 shooting slump against Oklahoma City in the conference finals.

Green says more is at stake for him than just the number of figures on his next paycheck.

“A lot of young guys are just looking for the money,” said Green, who won a national championship at North Carolina in 2009. “For me, it’s a balance of the money, the team, the fit. I’ve been in a winning organization my whole life. I want to continue to be on a winning team.”

Though Green is determined to explore other options during the free-agency process, he says he would like to return to the Spurs.

Spurs Nation
Old 07-02-12, 10:38 AM

The Spurs have already offered him 3 million (yeah I know it's only 2.7, but this is Texas with NO state income tax, so it's 3...) anyway, if Utah does offer him 3 for 3 should the Spurs match?
Old 07-02-12, 12:16 PM

I can't imagine Utah would go nuts and overpay.

Let's say the Spurs want to let him go. Do we agree to sign & trade & bring over Raja Bell whose salary is about $3.5 mil for one more season?
Old 07-02-12, 12:51 PM

The fact that we have Sjax and Manu does mean Green lacks a ton of leverage against the Spurs to match. But Utah is a great franchise and has some solid young talent.

Problem I would see for him is they've got I think two lottery picks Utah will want to play-- Burks and Hayward-- at the swing positions.

This is why I didn't get the decision to pick up the option on Anderson. At least we'd have another live body to play 2 guard who could shoot lights out.

I don't want to let Danny go because he and Kawhi are key in re-centering this team's identity around defense.
Old 07-02-12, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
The fact that we have Sjax and Manu does mean Green lacks a ton of leverage against the Spurs to match. But Utah is a great franchise and has some solid young talent.

Problem I would see for him is they've got I think two lottery picks Utah will want to play-- Burks and Hayward-- at the swing positions.

This is why I didn't get the decision to pick up the option on Anderson. At least we'd have another live body to play 2 guard who could shoot lights out.

I don't want to let Danny go because he and Kawhi are key in re-centering this team's identity around defense.
i think the Anderson option decision was built around that Green may keep up how he was playing. with his WCF play, it may have sent the Spurs into confusion as to what they'd offer him
Old 07-02-12, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Roger Mason? Really? Danny Green and Mason could possibly both have interest in the Jazz . . . but I doubt the Jazz have interest in them. The Jazz already have a guy who folds in the playoffs (Hayward) -- Why would they need another in Green?
Old 07-02-12, 03:04 PM

They could use tough perimeter defender. I think that is where he would fit in. Hayward isn't great defensively. Don't really know much about Burks. But I think that is the idea.

Both of those guys were pretty high draft picks and are extremely young so I don't see Utah overpaying for a guy that will be competing with those guys for development and PT.
Old 07-02-12, 03:31 PM

Quote:
They could use tough perimeter defender. I think that is where he would fit in. Hayward isn't great defensively. Don't really know much about Burks. But I think that is the idea.
Green is decent defensively. defense isn't something that should go cold (like shooting) and Green couldn't even guard Sefolosha in the Thunder series.

i've read reports that Green is "anxious" for free agency, i don't see him getting as much as he thinks he should.

i wish we would've drafted a SG in the draft so then we'd have the leverage in the talks since he wouldn't be a top priority.
Old 07-02-12, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

i've read reports that Green is "anxious" for free agency, i don't see him getting as much as he thinks he should.
The dude is guaranteed $2.7M for the next 3 years. That number can only go up. I'd be 'anxious', too, to get into FA, get the contract signed and be done with it.

I was 'anxious' when I asked my wife to marry me, the entire month before my daughter was born, moving to Houston, etc... You're sure everything will work out, but until it's a done deal, you're.... anxious.
Old 07-02-12, 04:14 PM

I don't think so. I think they have planned Tallspring to pay him what the market will bear and only what the market will bear up to a certain amount and no further. I personally think they are prepared to go as high as a full mid-level offer. That is, a mid-level offer that does not include a poison pill a la Chicago's situation with Omar ASIK.
Old 07-02-12, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
The dude is guaranteed $2.7M for the next 3 years. That number can only go up. I'd be 'anxious', too, to get into FA, get the contract signed and be done with it.

I was 'anxious' when I asked my wife to marry me, the entire month before my daughter was born, moving to Houston, etc... You're sure everything will work out, but until it's a done deal, you're.... anxious.
He is not guaranteed 2.7 million per year for the next three years. He is guaranteed 2.7 million for this year if he takes that in Lou of signing an extension or an offer sheet with another team. If he takes this qualifying offer, and does not do either an extension or an offer sheet, he will be unrestricted next summer.
Old 07-02-12, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
He is not guaranteed 2.7 million per year for the next three years. He is guaranteed 2.7 million for this year if he takes that in Lou of signing an extension or an offer sheet with another team. If he takes this qualifying offer, and does not do either an extension or an offer sheet, he will be unrestricted next summer.
Whoops. You're right. $2.7M for next season.

Still, not bad for a guy who's not played many NBA minutes prior to this year.
Old 07-02-12, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Green will get what he deserves. He is a solid player with talent enough to be in this league for years to come.
Old 07-02-12, 06:16 PM

If he's smart enough to play in the right system then he could be a solid player and he could last for several years. But, if he chases the dollars and ends up with a crummy franchise then, he's not going to continue to develop and he'll be back playing in Europe in 3 years.

He's only had one 66 game season and he was lucky to be with the Spurs for that. Don't forget he's been bounced out of two other places.
Old 07-02-12, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
If he's smart enough to play in the right system then he could be a solid player and he could last for several years. But, if he chases the dollars and ends up with a crummy franchise then, he's not going to continue to develop and he'll be back playing in Europe in 3 years.

He's only had one 66 game season and he was lucky to be with the Spurs for that. Don't forget he's been bounced out of two other places.
if he goes to a crummy franchise and goes the 2003 Stephen Jackson route where he gets more than he's worth, it wouldn't be too bad if it was a sign and trade for our favor (around $9+ mill per year)
Old 07-02-12, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I doubt utah pursues green anymore. They just traded for marvin williams. Which probably means hayward moves to SG with burks and their rookie murphy at two guard now. Williams starts at the SF with carroll as his back up. And millsap able to play SF too.
Old 07-02-12, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
I doubt utah pursues green anymore. They just traded for marvin williams. Which probably means hayward moves to SG with burks and their rookie murphy at two guard now. Williams starts at the SF with carroll as his back up. And millsap able to play SF too.
they got Mo Williams, that made Harris expendable for Williams. Marvin Williams can also play PF, so don't be surprised if they did that swap to get Green because they really don't have legit SG's (mostly PG's and Raja Bell isn't gonna play in Utah anytime soon anymore)
Old 07-02-12, 09:01 PM

Anybody interested in taking back Raja Bell if Utah really wants Danny? If so, under what circumstances?
Old 07-02-12, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Anybody interested in taking back Raja Bell if Utah really wants Danny? If so, under what circumstances?

i was hesitant to say it since i'd get bashed but glad you did

i'd take him straight up for Green to be honest (if we can't pull a Milsap trade). he's a tough defender and 3 point shooter. he gives us everything Green did, except he's done it all around in the playoffs.

he has a tough attitude and plays well alongside Diaw. unlike Green's defense that's just contesting, Bell pushes guys around and gives them the hardest shot. he was one of the few bright spots on defense during the Suns Run-N-Gun stretch (next to Diaw)
Old 07-02-12, 09:12 PM

I'd take him in the deal. He's still got a good year left and he still had it based on his play this year. SHot 39% from 3. His defense is based mostly on toughness so I think he's still got the ability to be a part-time defensive presence on the perimeter.
Old 07-02-12, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I'd take him in the deal. He's still got a good year left and he still had it based on his play this year. SHot 39% from 3. His defense is based mostly on toughness so I think he's still got the ability to be a part-time defensive presence on the perimeter.
he's a tougher, shorter version of Shane Battier. quick feet, can hit the 3 (heck he even played the PG position when Nash was hurt in PHX). his shot making is legit because of all the shots he's gotten in PHX and loves pressure moments. his contract would make it easier for us to rebuild as opposed to Green getting a longer term contract for more money (maybe).

one of the undeserved criticisms that he gets (along with Diaw) is that Phoenix was a bad defensive team. i say this about Diaw (and was right ) and the same about Bell: they were 2 of the best defenders on that team by far, they just never got any help on pick and rolls or guarding their guys but they did a great job on them. they did the best they could do for a whole game going one on one (even Bruce Bowen needed help most of the time).

as Diaw got help vs. his guys and he did well, same with Bell.
Old 07-02-12, 10:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Twitter / DGreen_14: SA I'm back...

A Very Cryptic Message
Old 07-02-12, 10:39 PM
The Master Baiter

Not cryptic enough. He wasn't going to get more than 2.7 mil anywhere else.
Old 07-02-12, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Not cryptic enough. He wasn't going to get more than 2.7 mil anywhere else.
@DGreen_14 No news yet, jus visiting lol

no deal yet
Old 07-02-12, 11:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can't blame the guy for looking at other offers. More power to him, seems like a Spur kind of player. I for one think he will be back with us after all is said and done.
Old 07-03-12, 12:08 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The Atlanta Hawks are closing in on their second significant trade of this early offseason, agreeing in principle Monday to trade forward Marvin Williams for Utah Jazz point guard Devin Harris, according to sources briefed on the discussions. The deal, which is pending league approval, would mean that new Hawks general manager Danny Ferry will have shed Atlanta's two most onerous contracts -- Joe Johnson and Williams -- in his first week-plus on the job.

The Hawks have thus quickly emerged as a potential destination for Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, who grew up in the Atlanta area and is close friends with Hawks swingman Josh Smith
. Howard is also close with Anthony Morrow, one of five players that the Hawks will acquire from the Brooklyn Nets in their pending trade with the Nets for Johnson.

Although Howard has previously shown little interest in playing for his hometown Hawks, Ferry still has a key piece or to offer Orlando in trade proposals for Howard in All-Star center Al Horford and young guard Jeff Teague, as well as the forthcoming salary-cap space to pursue Howard in the summer of 2013 should Orlando resist the trade inquiries sources say...

Atlanta Hawks trade Marvin Williams to Utah Jazz for Devin Harris, according to sources - ESPN
Old 07-03-12, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
The Atlanta Hawks are closing in on their second significant trade of this early offseason, agreeing in principle Monday to trade forward Marvin Williams for Utah Jazz point guard Devin Harris, according to sources briefed on the discussions. The deal, which is pending league approval, would mean that new Hawks general manager Danny Ferry will have shed Atlanta's two most onerous contracts -- Joe Johnson and Williams -- in his first week-plus on the job.
why does this matter with Danny Green? it's a salary/position swap. they don't have a legit SG and they have a boatload of bigs and PG's still (Mo Williams, Earl Watson, Jamal Tinsley), so they need a SG and may still be after him.

and for the 3rd time, Green says there's no deal, he's just visiting