News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-12, 04:16 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Spurs to offer Duncan at least $11M per year

In the latest Buck Harvey piece, he had an interesting tidbit about Tim Duncan and his future with the Spurs.

Originally Posted by Buck Harvey

Then, against the Knicks, Duncan was workmanlike with 17 points and eight rebounds in a game that was never close. It was the kind of night, given his effectiveness, the Spurs can see being repeated for another two or three years.

If Spurs plan is to offer Duncan around $12M per year, the whole cap space plan is dead.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-12, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I hope it's 2 years and 22 million. Anything more to me will hamper the team.
so $12 mill and the cap is dead so you prefer $11 mill? with KG taking a boatload to stay in Boston until he's around 40 years old or so, i think Duncan may ask for something in the $7 mill range (crazy? yeah i know)
Old 06-30-12, 05:35 PM
The Master Baiter

I think he deserves that much. I don't see him taking less unless they present some kind of fool proof plan to win another championship.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-12, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I hope it's 2 years and 22 million. Anything more to me will hamper the team.
If Duncan agreed to that, he would be really giving up a lot.

It is easy to think Duncan should take a huge pay cut when it isn't your money.

Robinson got 2 years 20 million, and that was ten years ago.

Fair isn't what is best to sigh a free agent. It's whatever the fair value is, and he brings in enough fans to get 2 yr 22 mil deal.
Old 06-30-12, 06:41 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

I know I will be in the minority here but...

Timmy is a shell of the player he once was...so if he gets as much money as you guys are quoting...it will be highway robbery.

Does he deserve it?
Well...if you base it on what he has done in the past...then, of course, he does.

If you want to be honest and pay him what he is worth now and what his playing performance deserves....then he should only get about 7 mil a season...no more.

People can't be honest though...and people/fans will go by emotion and by what Timmy has done...but if you are real honest...you know that he is not a 12-14 million dollars a season player anymore.

He averages less than 20 & 10 ...plays a lot less minutes than he used to...looks gimpy most nights...has very little post game left...can't move his feet on defense...and needs to have a coach who strictly monitors his minutes...and you want to re-sign him to a large salary that will cripple the future of the team? I love Tim Duncan just like the next spurs does but lets be honest.
Old 06-30-12, 06:53 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Quote:
So what do you propose or are you saying do a sign and trade or let him walk? Your proposal should include what HE WOULD ACCEPT. 5 million?........he walks on his own!
Honestly my opinion I think Duncan will take less to give the spurs cap space. How much? I don't know but I think Timmy realizes his team needs more help.
Old 06-30-12, 07:17 PM

Quote:
The cap is dead either way but why insult him with 7 million? TD is going to want around what TP and Manu make right now. KG got a boatload but these guys want to get paid. TD wants to get paid! Nash wants to get paid! Remember what the Spurs did to Robinson they offered him 5 million a year and he balked big time and even threatened to leave behind closed doors. They settled on 10 million a year and that was in 2001. So in 2012, You expect Duncan to take less than 10 million?????????? I said 11 million because that's fair and it might be overpriced. The thing is that these guys are not going to slit their own throats to stay with their current teams. Kwame Brown got 8 million last year from Golden State. Market price for big men is steep! So in my view Tim will want to hover around the proposed KG figure.
that's purely all speculation on your part about what he wants. i said he MAY ask for significantly less because, unlike KG, TD is more about winning and knows his limitations at this point of his career. Duncan knows (barring the FO telling him about a trade they're trying to do to make the team better) if he takes his actual worth, he'll be on the losing end for his next contract (and we don't have Bird Rights on Diaw, so we would probably not re-sign him either).

if Duncan truly hates Garnett, i doubt going the Garnett route on anything (including taking a huge contract and not improving like the Celtics most likely will be doing) would be his mindset. also remember, KG never said he'd return to the Celtics. that is the most likely reason they paid him that. Duncan, on the other hand, said before the season ended he's a Spur for life. You don't say that and say you're going to be back unless you know you have to give up a lot of cash in my opinion.
Old 06-30-12, 07:50 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

So let's say Tim gets 12 million a year for two years, exactly what does that do to the cap space?
Old 06-30-12, 07:58 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
that's purely all speculation on your part about what he wants. i said he MAY ask for significantly less because, unlike KG, TD is more about winning and knows his limitations at this point of his career. Duncan knows (barring the FO telling him about a trade they're trying to do to make the team better) if he takes his actual worth, he'll be on the losing end for his next contract (and we don't have Bird Rights on Diaw, so we would probably not re-sign him either).

if Duncan truly hates Garnett, i doubt going the Garnett route on anything (including taking a huge contract and not improving like the Celtics most likely will be doing) would be his mindset. also remember, KG never said he'd return to the Celtics. that is the most likely reason they paid him that. Duncan, on the other hand, said before the season ended he's a Spur for life. You don't say that and say you're going to be back unless you know you have to give up a lot of cash in my opinion.
Point taken. But it's also speculation to think he will take less money then Kwame Brown did last year. People thought Nash would sign here....get real. He is not interested in SA. He won't back up anybody and will not enjoy doing a double point guard set either because he would have to guard more than likely a big guard. Go to the history books........players want to get paid the most at any age or stage of their career. More times than not. Do I want him to take 7 million sure I do. But I also think it's highly unlikely. If he wants more than what I proposed.....C-YA TIMMY!
Old 06-30-12, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
So let's say Tim gets 12 million a year for two years, exactly what does that do to the cap space?
we wouldn't do anything
Old 06-30-12, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I love how everyone on here is such good friends with Tim Duncan that they know what he's thinking, what he will or won't accept, etc.
Old 06-30-12, 10:55 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Spurs' fluid plan w/Spur For Life Tim Duncan: I'm told they'll pound out deal specifics & then finalize when timing meshes best w/other biz
Old 06-30-12, 11:13 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Rockets Prepared To Make $8M Annual Offer To Omer Asik
Jul 01, 2012 12:04 AM EDT

The Rockets are prepared to offer Omer Asik an annual contract offer in the $8 million range.

Asik is a restricted free agent of the Chicago Bulls.

Houston similarly pursued Marcin Gortat at the start of his free agency in 2009, though he eventually signed a $34 million offer sheet with the Mavericks that was matched by the Magic.

Via K.C. Johnson/Chicago Tribune (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221923/Rockets_Prepared_To_Make_$8M_Annual_Offer_To_Omer_ Asik#ixzz1zLCG5djA
Old 06-30-12, 11:14 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Omer Asik 8 million per year.
Tim Duncan 7 million per year????????
Old 07-01-12, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
It's an open forum. See that you take advantage of it by your 211 posts in seven years douchebag.
You're right, that's only 30 a year or 1 or 2 a month. Clearly I do not have my priorities right, I should make mind numbing posts that draw attention to myself in order to get a high "post count" so that when I die, people will say what an awesome person I am because I posted to a message board. Who needs a family or a job, by golly, I need to post some more insults to a Spurs message board. Thank you for helping me see the error of my ways.

My point was simply that several people were using very definitive terms when discussing what Duncan was thinking/planning on doing, rather than using the more appropriate disclaimers of "I think he might..." or "From my perspective, he seems like...." Everyone trying to sound like experts when really it's just what you say, an open forum with people expressing their thoughts/opinions.

Thank you for raising the level of the discourse by making such astute observations as the number of times I've posted on this board and using terms like "douche-bag." Really brings something to the discussion.
Old 07-01-12, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Old 07-01-12, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
You're right, that's only 30 a year or 1 or 2 a month. Clearly I do not have my priorities right, I should make mind numbing posts that draw attention to myself in order to get a high "post count" so that when I die, people will say what an awesome person I am because I posted to a message board. Who needs a family or a job, by golly, I need to post some more insults to a Spurs message board. Thank you for helping me see the error of my ways.

My point was simply that several people were using very definitive terms when discussing what Duncan was thinking/planning on doing, rather than using the more appropriate disclaimers of "I think he might..." or "From my perspective, he seems like...." Everyone trying to sound like experts when really it's just what you say, an open forum with people expressing their thoughts/opinions.

Thank you for raising the level of the discourse by making such astute observations as the number of times I've posted on this board and using terms like "douche-bag." Really brings something to the discussion.
Old 07-01-12, 06:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd like to see an agreed range, if the front office can obtain pieces to improve us, Timmy agrees to to the lower end. If they can't get the intended targets, he gets the higher range. Won't happen, and I have a bad feeling that we are going to offer more than 12 mil, but if it's done after we've already struck out with other free agents then I'm less concerned.
Old 07-01-12, 07:49 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't think much of those who do participate in a community forum. No you don't need to post some more insults, it would be nice if you actually contributed to the conversation. You are aware that a forum is just that a place where fans can exchange ideas right?

Quote:
That's what fans do...not sure why that would cause you to get your shorts in a bunch. And if you had participated on a more regular basis you would know that certain folks get called out on a fairly regular basis, (I won't say who, but he's currently demanding that Bonner be traded )

Quote:
If you want to raise the level of discourse, post more, don't lurk about and post an insult every now and then and when you're called out, become all defensive and pouty. Come down off your mountain and bring something to the discussion, what is your OPINION? Or do you even have one?

This is a bunch of folks talking about the team they support, much as if we were all sitting around at a BBQ or at the bar, arguing about what's going on with our team. So either join in or drop out, we welcome all and we'll argue with everyone.
Old 07-01-12, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

And just what part of the conversation would encourage him to post more often?

Would it be the name calling, or the judgemental attitude on the quantity of posts?
Old 07-01-12, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Would it be the name calling, or the judgemental attitude on the quantity of posts?
Both it hasn't stopped any of us but wait, he was the one who commented on the quality of the posts... so only the name calling, but wait again, he commented about the 'so called experts' so I guess if he wants to raise the level of the discourse, he (or she) needs to get involved with worrying about it....

You and I have disagreed on many things and hasn't stopped either of us in the past...
Old 07-01-12, 08:38 AM
Black and Silver Galore

11M + a billion of love from spurs fans like us
Old 07-01-12, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
You obviously don't think much of those who do participate in a community forum. No you don't need to post some more insults, it would be nice if you actually contributed to the conversation. You are aware that a forum is just that a place where fans can exchange ideas right?

That's what fans do...not sure why that would cause you to get your shorts in a bunch. And if you had participated on a more regular basis you would know that certain folks get called out on a fairly regular basis, (I won't say who, but he's currently demanding that Bonner be traded )

If you want to raise the level of discourse, post more, don't lurk about and post an insult every now and then and when you're called out, become all defensive and pouty. Come down off your mountain and bring something to the discussion, what is your OPINION? Or do you even have one?

This is a bunch of folks talking about the team they support, much as if we were all sitting around at a BBQ or at the bar, arguing about what's going on with our team. So either join in or drop out, we welcome all and we'll argue with everyone.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
And just what part of the conversation would encourage him to post more often?

For me it would be the name calling. . . . That is the part I like most. But the complete trashing of other's opinions (or my opinions by others) is right up there for me.
Old 07-01-12, 12:05 PM
Black and Silver Galore

chill out guys, world peace, not metta world peace. <- hes nuts
Old 07-01-12, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Just give the Duncan a three year 40 million dollor contract and call it a day.
Old 07-01-12, 02:09 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Who else is available who would give better value for the money? When completing a puzzle, the pieces have to fit. (also known as being part of the same puzzle-,to this end Timmy and Diaw both are unique pieces for the Spurs.)
Old 07-01-12, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Actually, the reason I've been reading this forum for so long is that I do think a lot of the people on this forum. Obviously tone is hard to convey on a board like this, but I love being able to see what other fans are thinking about players, rumors, games, etc. I was just jabbing at those who were talking as if they're close personal friends of Duncan. I just thought it was funny is all.

Quote:
Again, you're taking participating as "posting." I actually read this forum several times a day, but tend to only post when something really stands out to me. I made the mistake of calling someone out, but I guess there's a secret number of "posts" you have to reach before you're allowed to do that.
Quote:
If you've read any of my posts, (if you can find them) you'll know that I don't go around insulting everyone. My original post wasn't even an insult, but when someone starts calling me childish names, I call it like I see it. As far as my opinion, well I'd love it if Duncan would play for the minimum so we could spend some $ on a high priced free-agent, but it won't happen (and shouldn't, Duncan's brought so much to SA and he's still a professional ball player and should be compensated with others of similar skill, ability, etc.) I figure he'll land in the 10-12 million range, we'll make a couple of small moves and live out the Duncan era with pretty much the same cast, just swapping out some of the fringe (Blair for Lorbek, Green for De Colo, etc.)
Quote:
At the end of the day, it's go Spurs go.
Old 07-01-12, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The offer shouldn't be shorter than 3 years.
Old 07-02-12, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
The offer shouldn't be shorter than 3 years.
what?!

you'd want Duncan at 39-40 years old taking up $10+mill in cap space?
Old 07-02-12, 02:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
what?!

you'd want Duncan at 39-40 years old taking up $10+mill in cap space?
Yes, since 2 reasons:

1- Same aged KG will play 3 more years after resigning with Boston and KG is playing 4 more years in NBA.

2- We should guarantee that Duncan will not retire after 2 years. I want to see him on court at least 3 more years.
Old 07-02-12, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

that sounds robert parishesque!
Old 07-02-12, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, since 2 reasons:

1- Same aged KG will play 3 more years after resigning with Boston and KG is playing 4 more years in NBA.

2- We should guarantee that Duncan will not retire after 2 years. I want to see him on court at least 3 more years.
i hate to say it, but Duncan wore down faster than KG did. KG played below average all season while Duncan played above average (not great, but better than good). KG turned it on all around in the playoffs, while Duncan had spurts here and there. the part that makes me worry about depending on Duncan too much for too long is that we had depth all year while the Celtics had no depth and KG was able to keep his legs while Duncan didn't. you can't really compare the 2. if you did, then you'd have to say Duncan should take less than KG for the fact he's worn down greatly in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

also with Manu being a FA next year along with SJax, Duncan taking up cap space for 3-4 years would basically have us in a handcuffed situation with an old cornerstone going into the lottery.
Old 07-02-12, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Spurs are in a tough spot here. I still remember when the Spurs thought they could low-ball David Robinson near the end of his career. He threatened to leave and the Spurs had to pony up the cash.

Duncan has done too much not to give him a "Thank You Tim" contract in the 35$ million dollar range.

My guess is a Two-Year deal at 12-13 Million per . . . with a third year at Tim's option guaranteed.

So in other words . . . enjoy the Spurs for the next 2-3 seasons because we will eventually become the Sacramento Kings.
Old 07-02-12, 03:01 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Saying we'll eventually be the Kings is a bit much.

But I think if reports of Garnett getting a 3 year deal are accurate TD has the right to demand at least that much.

I think TD wants to play for a ring (another one of course) and thus that it's going to be about whatever is the most we can pay him and still have the flexibility to surround him with talent.

That is what the early reports have suggested. That they basically already have things in place for TD and it's just a matter of letting everything else get settled before they work out the details and sign it.
Old 07-02-12, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
That is what the early reports have suggested. That they basically already have things in place for TD and it's just a matter of letting everything else get settled before they work out the details and sign it.
don't we have to sign him before we go for other guys since there's a cap hold (same with Green)?

if Duncan still wants to play for another ring, then he has to take less. if he wants to be greedy, i wouldn't blame him, but he's basically throwing the "playing for a championship" out the window if he doesn't leave enough out there for the Spurs to do anything.
Old 07-02-12, 03:29 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
i hate to say it, but Duncan wore down faster than KG did. KG played below average all season while Duncan played above average (not great, but better than good). KG turned it on all around in the playoffs, while Duncan had spurts here and there. the part that makes me worry about depending on Duncan too much for too long is that we had depth all year while the Celtics had no depth and KG was able to keep his legs while Duncan didn't. you can't really compare the 2. if you did, then you'd have to say Duncan should take less than KG for the fact he's worn down greatly in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

also with Manu being a FA next year along with SJax, Duncan taking up cap space for 3-4 years would basically have us in a handcuffed situation with an old cornerstone going into the lottery.
If you look at the numbers, TD was pretty darn good and consistent. The problem is he can't carry a team, but he's not expected to anymore. If you have a problem with paying TD 12 million, then you should be flipping your lid with Manu getting 14 million, because he was much worse than TD in the playoffs.

Bottom line is TD deserves what we are speculating he will get.
Old 07-02-12, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
If you look at the numbers, TD was pretty darn good and consistent. The problem is he can't carry a team, but he's not expected to anymore. If you have a problem with paying TD 12 million, then you should be flipping your lid with Manu getting 14 million, because he was much worse than TD in the playoffs.

TD was pretty good and consistent this past season, moving forward spurs should not pay him more than KG, and Manu is getting 14 mil from a contract that was signed 3 years ago and he wasnt worse or better than TD, They both played pretty much the same level , TD showed up in the first couple of rounds but dissappeared in the WFC, manu didnt play well in the first two rounds but played well on the WCF Averaged 20 pts during the WFC
Old 07-02-12, 04:05 PM

Quote:
don't we have to sign him before we go for other guys since there's a cap hold (same with Green)?

if Duncan still wants to play for another ring, then he has to take less. if he wants to be greedy, i wouldn't blame him, but he's basically throwing the "playing for a championship" out the window if he doesn't leave enough out there for the Spurs to do anything.
Well, as far as the cap hold goes, it is true that we have to re-sign Duncan before we can eliminate that cap hold. However, we are not going to be using salary-cap space to sign anyone. We are using one or both of the exceptions and those don't require Duncans contract to be signed. So in other words, they are going to wait to sign Duncan until they figure out what they can pay him without getting too far into luxury tax territory.
Old 07-02-12, 05:33 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
TD was pretty good and consistent this past season, moving forward spurs should not pay him more than KG, and Manu is getting 14 mil from a contract that was signed 3 years ago and he wasnt worse or better than TD, They both played pretty much the same level , TD showed up in the first couple of rounds but dissappeared in the WFC, manu didnt play well in the first two rounds but played well on the WCF Averaged 20 pts during the WFC
TD didn't exactly disappear. He averaged 17ppg. But we knew we would get that from him. We thought Manu was the X-factor, and he wasn't. I don't want to turn this into a Manu vs. TD thing, but TD is immensely more valuable to the team than Manu.

I don't think TD deserves more than KG though, but I think equal to or "in the ballpark" is about right.
Old 07-02-12, 06:48 PM

Quote:

by the numbers, Duncan stayed consistent because of the averages. he played well in some games and bad in other ones (especially on rotations and posting up).

he can't carry a team nor can Garnett. the original post was about TD getting 3-4 years in the contract instead of 1-2 years, which makes a lot of difference. not so much about the money (because i wouldn't blame him to milk out anything since it's a business), i'm just saying keeping Duncan for 3-4 years is absurd at that amount.
Old 07-02-12, 10:00 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
by the numbers, Duncan stayed consistent because of the averages. he played well in some games and bad in other ones (especially on rotations and posting up).

he can't carry a team nor can Garnett. the original post was about TD getting 3-4 years in the contract instead of 1-2 years, which makes a lot of difference. not so much about the money (because i wouldn't blame him to milk out anything since it's a business), i'm just saying keeping Duncan for 3-4 years is absurd at that amount.
Then you're where I was two years ago when they gave Manu his ridiculous contract. I knew Manu wasn't going to last a whole season (he hasn't), that he wouldn't be able to reproduce his better years (he hasn't), and that we would regret the dreaded overpaid final year (we are).
Old 07-02-12, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Then you're where I was two years ago when they gave Manu his ridiculous contract. I knew Manu wasn't going to last a whole season (he hasn't), that he wouldn't be able to reproduce his better years (he hasn't), and that we would regret the dreaded overpaid final year (we are).
the difference is Manu was 31-32 when he signed the contract, TD is gonna be 36 possibly signing a 2 year deal. even though Duncan stayed decent, he didn't play worth the $21 mill on the court, so in a sense he was overpaid as well.

the Spurs will be smart about this, once Manu is a FA, he'll have to take a pay cut, leave, or retire (hopefully a 1-2 year contract cheap). Duncan should do the same this time around (neither should be over the hill once their contracts end, Duncan should leave once 38, Manu should leave at 35-36 hopefully).
Old 07-03-12, 01:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I honestly don't understand where that "Duncan is disappeard in play-offs" thing come from. Duncan was not a beast but played pretty well during play-offs. Agasinst OKC he faced agaisnt Ibaka and Perkins duo, which is the best defensive front-court duo in NBA. Depite this 21 pts-8 rebs in Game 4, 18 pts-12 rebs in Game 5 and 25 pts -14 rebs in decisive Game 6. How can you say he disappeared?

Duncan can play at least 3 more years. I'm pretty sure that he's smart enough to keep himself for play-offs. Moreover I don't want him to retire before 3 years and I'm sure that we can't convince him to play 1 more year if we sign him 2 years contract now.
Old 07-03-12, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't understand where that "Duncan is disappeard in play-offs" thing come from. Duncan was not a beast but played pretty well during play-offs. Agasinst OKC he faced agaisnt Ibaka and Perkins duo, which is the best defensive front-court duo in NBA. Depite this 21 pts-8 rebs in Game 4, 18 pts-12 rebs in Game 5 and 25 pts -14 rebs in decisive Game 6. How can you say he disappeared?

Duncan can play at least 3 more years. I'm pretty sure that he's smart enough to keep himself for play-offs. Moreover I don't want him to retire before 3 years and I'm sure that we can't convince him to play 1 more year if we sign him 2 years contract now.
if it's towards me, i never said he disappeared, i said he wore down. he still played well, but not well enough to make a giant difference (like TP and Manu should've done instead). if you're saying he didn't wear down, stats be darned but did you watch how late he was on rotations? he looked like he had stone for feet. also add that he couldn't get by a slow footed Kendrick Perkins, which makes it more depressing to think about. he may have scored, but he wasn't the defensive anchor we needed him to be.

that being said, with how he played last year and how he couldn't last in a short season with plenty of rest, adding him for 3-4 years at $11+ mill a year would kill off any hopes for a title. i'm not dissing the man, it's a business and works both ways. if the guy can get $15 mill from the Spurs for 5 years, he should take it, but anything more than $10+ million would kill off any hopes for him to get title #5 because we couldn't improve in FA and getting him for 3-4 years would just postpone the inevitable rebuilding because he'd be taking up a lot of money and possibly playing 50% of what he's playing now. this year we got a vintage 2007 Duncan sighting every blue moon, in year 3 or 4, we'll be getting a 2009-2011 Duncan sighting at best.
Old 07-03-12, 05:33 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
the difference is Manu was 31-32 when he signed the contract, TD is gonna be 36 possibly signing a 2 year deal. even though Duncan stayed decent, he didn't play worth the $21 mill on the court, so in a sense he was overpaid as well.

the Spurs will be smart about this, once Manu is a FA, he'll have to take a pay cut, leave, or retire (hopefully a 1-2 year contract cheap). Duncan should do the same this time around (neither should be over the hill once their contracts end, Duncan should leave once 38, Manu should leave at 35-36 hopefully).
He was 32, but his body wasn't. Remember, the Spurs were hesitant to give him a new contract because he had missed the last few playoffs with injuries. Everyone was wondering when they were going to lock him down. It was only until they saw him playing well the first half of the season that they finally put the deal on the table. They got duped.

TD IS going to take a pay cut, and 11-12million is still what he's worth. And for the record, let's get the facts straight on their stats in the playoffs. TD averaged 17.4 the entire playoffs, Manu averaged 14.4. And I think you're wrong about TD wearing down. There was the typical missed rotations, but not more than usual. OKC downed the Spurs with good defense and having better stars to hit crucial shots in the end.
Old 07-03-12, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
He was 32, but his body wasn't. Remember, the Spurs were hesitant to give him a new contract because he had missed the last few playoffs with injuries. Everyone was wondering when they were going to lock him down. It was only until they saw him playing well the first half of the season that they finally put the deal on the table. They got duped.

TD IS going to take a pay cut, and 11-12million is still what he's worth. And for the record, let's get the facts straight on their stats in the playoffs. TD averaged 17.4 the entire playoffs, Manu averaged 14.4. And I think you're wrong about TD wearing down. There was the typical missed rotations, but not more than usual. OKC downed the Spurs with good defense and having better stars to hit crucial shots in the end.
Uwe, I dont think the spurs got duped , I mean if we didnt sign him(manu) two years ago somebody else would had and for more money and we would had used the money for who else back then? and if you remember we had the best record in the western conference on the first year of his contract his body didnt break but his arm did because of a crazy stupid steal that he tried to make at the end of a pointless game so i think we can accuse manu of lack of common sense but not of getting Old at least not last year, this year yes, the man is not the same. TD is more important at this point of their careers but TD did not play well on the last round versus OKC the first two rounds he did
Old 07-03-12, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

I dont think he disappeard in the play offs but agaisnt OKC but if you say he faced "the best defensive front court duo in NBA" then my question is how in the world they couldnt stop Chris Bosh? or a smaller team like the Heat? i love TD but he showed up in game 5 and the first half of game 6 of the WFC
Old 07-03-12, 02:38 PM
The Master Baiter

Just for arguments sake, here is Manu's stats against OKC:

Date Tm Opp MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2012-05-27 SAS OKC W 34:03 9 14 .643 3 5 .600 5 5 1.000 1 4 5 3 1 0 3 3 26
2012-05-29 SAS OKC W 25:43 6 11 .545 1 5 .200 7 8 .875 1 0 1 4 0 0 2 4 20
2012-05-31 SAS OKC L 20:53 1 5 .200 1 2 .500 5 5 1.000 1 5 6 1 0 0 4 2 8
2012-06-02 SAS OKC L 24:43 4 7 .571 2 3 .667 3 3 1.000 0 0 0 4 1 0 6 6 13
2012-06-04 SAS OKC L 38:26 11 21 .524 5 10 .500 7 8 .875 2 4 6 7 2 0 5 4 34
2012-06-06 SAS OKC L 35:49 4 12 .333 2 8 .250 0 0 0 5 5 1 0 0 3 5 10

And here is TD's:

Date Tm Opp MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2012-05-27 SAS OKC W 35:00 6 15 .400 0 0 4 6 .667 4 7 11 2 0 1 2 3 16
2012-05-29 SAS OKC W 36:18 2 11 .182 0 0 7 10 .700 3 9 12 6 0 4 3 2 11
2012-05-31 SAS OKC L 26:01 5 15 .333 0 0 1 2 .500 1 1 2 1 0 5 2 3 11
2012-06-02 SAS OKC L 35:46 9 17 .529 0 0 3 7 .429 2 6 8 2 0 1 0 0 21
2012-06-04 SAS OKC L 33:09 7 10 .700 0 0 4 5 .800 5 7 12 3 1 1 2 4 18
2012-06-06 SAS OKC L 40:36 11 23 .478 0 0 3 4 .750 3 11 14 2 1 2 2 4 25

Last edited by Uwe Blab; 07-03-12 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 02:44 PM

You could argue very easily based on those stats that OKC won because they figured out how to beat Manu.
Old 07-03-12, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
You could argue very easily based on those stats that OKC won because they figured out how to beat Manu.
I think they won because they figured out Parker with putting Sefalosha on him. This is Parker's team now and he failed the most.