News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-30-12, 12:14 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

2012 Free Agent: J.J. Hickson

Jason Quick ‏@jwquick

Blazers GM Neil Olshey says team will not issue qualifying offer to JJ Hickson but will be open to negotiating on July 1

I hope the Spurs consider him. He could come cheap.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-12, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yea, Let's sign JJ Hickson. He is so good that Portland is letting him walk for nothing. He is so good, they don't even want to risk paying Him Matt Bonner type money.

He is the answer to all our problems.
Old 06-30-12, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Yea, Let's sign JJ Hickson. He is so good that Portland is letting him walk for nothing. He is so good, they don't even want to risk paying Him Matt Bonner type money.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-12, 04:48 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

I guess using this reasoning we should never have signed Boris Diaw since charlotte didn't want him anymore?? Hickson is a serviceable big man, that could add another dimension defensively at the rim. Something the Spurs don't have.
Old 06-30-12, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
I guess using this reasoning we should never have signed Boris Diaw since charlotte didn't want him anymore?? Hickson is a serviceable big man, that could add another dimension defensively at the rim. Something the Spurs don't have.
he's not good defensively, he's not good offensively. he doesn't have "something" to make him attractive.

"serviceable big man" goes to a big you sign for a small amount to be at the end of the rotation. we need something more than that. JJ Hickson has been floated around there for the longest time that i'd like people to be specific in what they see in the guy that makes him attractive. if he has no shot, he can't play next to Duncan/Splitter/Blair because he can't post up either.
Old 06-30-12, 05:04 PM

In 2010, the guy averaged 13.8PPG, and 8.7RPG on a good Cavs team. I respect that you don't think he's that good, but I watch as much basketball as anyone and I wouldn't mind the Spurs picking him up if he comes cheap. Not to mention the fact that he is a young big body, I happen to think that Duncan might be able to show him a thing or two(much like he did with Jefferson from Utah)
Old 06-30-12, 05:12 PM

the good cavs team part was sarcastic. But he played well with Portland last year. in 19 games averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds. I would rather have him backing up tim and tiago than to have blair. He's not that answer, but he has more upside than Blair. thats all I'm saying.
Old 06-30-12, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
In 2010, the guy averaged 13.8PPG, and 8.7RPG on a good Cavs team. I respect that you don't think he's that good, but I watch as much basketball as anyone and I wouldn't mind the Spurs picking him up if he comes cheap. Not to mention the fact that he is a young big body, I happen to think that Duncan might be able to show him a thing or two(much like he did with Jefferson from Utah)
Lebron wasn't on the 2010-2011 Cavs when Hickson averaged that much so they weren't good at all. i wouldn't mind him either as our 5th big, but that shouldn't be a priority now. we have basically the same player in him with Blair anyway.
Old 06-30-12, 05:25 PM

Yeah its hard to portray sarcasm on a post.

But you may be right, up to this point he has been a decent player on a bad team. My issue is I think that Blair has hit his ceiling with us, charles barkley he is not, and I don't see him improving much more. When he starts all year long and then falls completely out of our playoff rotation because he can't compete with the bigger teams, it seems time to cut the chord and let him go.

I disagree about the priority for this off season though, our backcourt is solid, our offense is close to unstoppable. So why would we not want a bigger body to bang down low? Blair can bang, but he can't block shots.