News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-28-12, 10:57 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Marcus Denmon, baby!

Spurs get Mr. Almost Irrelevant.

A true steal . . . Draftexpress has him rated the #58 prospect and we got him at what, pick 59?

Did RC/Pop leave and let the interns take this one?

He's not even a %@#^@!@#% Euro.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-12, 10:58 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

seems like a "Gary Neal" type of player. An undersized 2 guard who can shoot but not really handle the rock?
Old 06-28-12, 11:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes we continue to get smaller.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-12, 11:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

In Pop we trust.
Old 06-28-12, 11:01 PM

Blind faith seems appropriate here.

Looks like a throwaway pick really. I don't see any chance he ever makes the team.
Old 06-28-12, 11:02 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Old 06-28-12, 11:03 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Marcus Denmon entered his final season at Missouri as an under the radar prospect, coming off a successful junior campaign, but lacking the ideal physical profile of an NBA shooting guard. Denmon has not disappointed as a senior, assuming a more prominent role as a scorer in Missouri's offense while leading the Tigers to a 27-4 record and a potential #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Though he is responsible for 20% of Missouri's offensive possessions and 22.6% of Missouri's total field goal attempts, he has continued to play the same brand of extremely efficient basketball, shooting 53% from 2-point range and 42% for 3, while coughing the ball up on just 9% of his possessions and averaging only 1.3 turnovers per 40 minutes pace adjusted. This is particularly impressive given his expanded role as Missouri's primary scoring option.

On film, Denmon continues to excel as a perimeter shooter with his feet set, both guarded and unguarded, and he sports a picture perfect release with range that extends well beyond the NBA three-point line. Only 20% of his shots come off pull-up jumpers, demonstrating the narrowly tailored role Denmon plays for Missouri, as well as his patience and shot-selection—which helps explain why he's such an efficient player.

Despite looking slightly more aggressive looking to take his man off the dribble, Denmon remains a limited shot-creator due to his average size, strength, explosiveness and ball-handling skills. Very opportunistic in transition, off cuts, or on straight line drives, Denmon is able to keep defenses honest just enough to not be labeled as a one-dimensional player.

Denmon certainly has solid tools and fundamentals on the defensive end of the floor, where he guards every perimeter position. He displays good lateral quickness and quick hands, but at 6'3 with a wiry 185-pound frame and an average wingspan, it remains to be seen whether he can guard NBA-sized shooting guards on a consistent basis.

Despite coming off of an excellent senior season, Denmon still has work to do in terms of carving out a role for himself at the NBA level. Though he possesses excellent intangibles as an extremely tough, smart, hard-working and winning attitude, he is still not remotely a point guard; remains extremely undersized for the shooting guard position; and lacks the elite athleticism to compensate. He has improved his offensive arsenal as a senior, however, continuing to prove himself as an extremely efficient perimeter scoring threat, but will need to fall into the right situation in the NBA to stick and make an impact. Denmon should have plenty of opportunities in the NCAA Tournament, and during the pre-draft process to continue to prove to scouts that he has what it takes to fill a niche as a sparkplug scorer in the NBA.

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.
http://www.draftexpress.com
Old 06-28-12, 11:04 PM

Cool pic, looks like a tough kid. So nevermind then. ;-)
Old 06-28-12, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well... rumors were that the Warriors were interested in Blair and they did draft two foreign 7 footers.... maybe at future trade?? Who knows.
Old 06-28-12, 11:12 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Wasted pick. Why get another short shooting guard? It's 2012 not 1987. I didn't think Henry Sims and Kevin Jones were still going to be there at #59. I thought they would be all over Kevin Jones to be honest. He is a stretch four. Also surprised Scott Machado was not drafted either but they didn't need another poing guard. I thought Denmon was a rookie free agent type not one to spend a draft pick on. I liked what the Lakers did at #60 they drafted a seven footer! I give the Spurs a D- for a draft grade.
Old 06-28-12, 11:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hey at 59 does it really matter, anyone at this stage is a suck and see. I have to admit to having no college interest so have not seen who we picked him over but I really can't see too much harm here, or we could be picking him up because we already have identified a trade for one of our many smalls for a big.
Old 06-28-12, 11:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

All this means is that no opportunities were there for us.

I am sure the FO did their best.
Old 06-28-12, 11:24 PM
Herman Cain of the board

This reminds me of the Bryan Bracey pick in 2001. I was like WTH at the time? Now I'm like WTF?
Old 06-28-12, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

With the 59th pick and the Danny Ferry distraction, I expected nothing from the draft and that seems to be exactly what they got. I'm sure they went into the draft with ABCD&E senarios and tried to pawn off players to move up. There was simply nothing there and no one was biting. On the flipside, I am expecting them to press heavy in the veteran free agency market including some of their own.
Old 06-28-12, 11:50 PM

It's times like these I wish we could know who the Spurs were targeting. Just so we could understand how they tick better.

But we won't, because that's exactly what they don't want. No secret sauce recipes freely available on the internet.
Old 06-28-12, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

No. 60 from the 2011 draft, Isaiah Thomas, started most of the games the 2nd half of the season last year. Granted, it was the Sac Kings, but, that doesn't change that he is a damn good ball player.

I only think this pick is because TP's eye may cost him some games early in the season. We won't know until next week. We can get a big via a trade. No worries there.
Old 06-28-12, 11:59 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Denmon, a Hogan Prep graduate, led Missouri in scoring the past two years, but Ford lists him as the No. 62 player in the draft — down from No. 56 in his previous listing — and has him going undrafted.

Ed Isaacson, who runs NBADraftBlog.com, said Denmon has impressed league executives in interviews and noted that the scoring ability he showed in college, where he averaged 17.7 points per game last season, could get him drafted.

“Most of his scoring was done in transition, or sort of being able to take his guy one-on-one,” Isaacson said. “One thing he does do better than a lot of guys is shoot off the dribble well, and he gets his shot off quick, which is something he’ll need to do at the NBA level because he’s 6-2.”

Isaacson noted that Denmon effectively operated as an off-guard last season, which is unlikely to be his position in the NBA because of his height. The league is becoming more athletic by the day — as this year’s NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder showed —and guards are getting bigger, too. Several star point guards, like Chicago’s Derrick Rose and the Thunder’s Russell Westbrook, are Denmon’s height, while only two notable off-guards —New Orleans’ Eric Gordon and Milwaukee’s Monta Ellis — are listed at 6-3 or shorter.

“He’s really only 6-3 with shoes, so he’s going to need to show point-guard skills to get some big minutes on the court in the NBA,” Isaacson said of Denmon. “And from what I’ve heard, in the individual workouts, teams have been trying to match him up against point guards. I’m almost positive his agent and trainers have been working on getting him to that point.”

That said, Isaacson said he would like to see Denmon to go to a team that plays an up-tempo style, which would accentuate his strengths.

“If he goes to one of the five or six teams that play at the pace Missouri played at, his value would be higher to them,” Isaacson said. “That’s an underrated part of all this: fit. A team like Denver, they like to push the ball. That’s the exact reason (forward) Kenneth Faried was so successful there this year. He wouldn’t have had the same impact on the game if you didn’t push the ball.”

Waiting ends tonight for MU's English, Denmon - KansasCity.com
Old 06-29-12, 07:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

What were you expecting with #59?
Old 06-29-12, 08:05 AM
Black and Silver Galore

Manu type of player at 59
Old 06-29-12, 08:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
With the 59th pick and the Danny Ferry distraction, I expected nothing from the draft and that seems to be exactly what they got. I'm sure they went into the draft with ABCD&E senarios and tried to pawn off players to move up. There was simply nothing there and no one was biting. On the flipside, I am expecting them to press heavy in the veteran free agency market including some of their own.
I am expecting you to be very disappointed since there is no chance that we sign any veterans in the free agent market. The only vets we have a shot at signing or the ones that played on our team last year (Diaw & Green). The only new players on our team will come from the list of European guys we already have (De Colo, Lorbek, Bertans, Hanga).
Old 06-29-12, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Spurs get Mr. Almost Irrelevant.

A true steal . . . Draftexpress has him rated the #58 prospect and we got him at what, pick 59?

Did RC/Pop leave and let the interns take this one?

He's not even a %@#^@!@#% Euro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
seems like a "Gary Neal" type of player. An undersized 2 guard who can shoot but not really handle the rock?
he's not making the team.

we were trading Blair for a roster spot as the rumors go, so this kid will take up a spot. if we don't re-sign Anderson, that'd be an open spot. we're looking to keep Green apparently and Mills, so maybe Anderson's spot is going to De Colo and Blair's is supposed to go to Lorbek?

just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
In Pop we trust.
doesn't RC make the picks?
Old 06-29-12, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

btw, OKC just draft a 6'11 with 7'2 wingspan, who arguably has the athleticism, skills and versatility to challenge Anthony Davis as the most talented player in the draft....

Last edited by JuanCaca; 06-29-12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-29-12, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I got sick last night seeing all the 6'9-6'11 players being picked one after another.

Marcus Denmon. Wow. Go ahead and start looking at your options overseas dude.
Old 06-29-12, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
btw, OKC just draft a 6'11 with 7'2 wingspan, who arguably has the athleticism, skills and versatility to challenge Anthony Davis as the most talented player in the draft....
Exactly.

Say what you want about Perry Jones, he can do it all. He just doesn't demand the ball or take over games. He will put up numbers in the league effortlessly.
Old 06-29-12, 09:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

We need a time machine for Timmy and Manu to subtract about seven years...manu gets his hair back and Timmy won't be wearing a knee brace..aww, heck, pop can have some hair back, too