News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-12, 04:39 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Spurs Interested In Trading Up For Beal?

Thunder Nuggets Spurs Express Interest In Trading Up For Beal - RealGM Wiretap

Bradley Beal revealed that Sam Presti told him in an interview in Chicago that the Thunder were interested in trading up to draft him.

Oklahoma City doesn't have a selection until the No. 28 pick.

"He told me he was going to decide what they're going to do and considered getting up there," Beal said.

Beal said Denver, which picks at No. 20, also made a similar statement.

In order to draft Beal, the Thunder would almost certainly need to trade James Harden. League sources said Oklahoma City would be unable to avoid tax issues if they had Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Harden and Serge Ibaka under lucrative contracts.

Trading for Harden could make sense for a team like the Bobcats, though there is no guarantee he would be willing to sign a long-term extension.

"I've heard it a lot," Beal said of the Thunder scenario. "It's really interesting. I would love to play with Kevin Durant. (Russell) Westbrook, great point guard. Just the whole team. It's young; I would love to play with a young team. They play fast. I'd love to get up and down, shoot the ball. Overall, whatever situation I Iand in I'll be happy."

Presti and Billy Donovan have had multiple conversations on the phone about Beal, as well.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation said, "Oklahoma City exhausted every opportunity on campus to find out everything they could find out about Beal. They've done everything they can."

The Spurs have also been interested in moving up to draft Beal.

Read more: Thunder Nuggets Spurs Express Interest In Trading Up For Beal - RealGM Wiretap
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-12, 05:14 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I like Beal a lot, has a Eric Gordon/Ray Allen potential. The question remains, what would the Spurs have to give up? TP9? Manu? How does the whole contract thing work with them? Interesting....I'm sure there will be about 50 more rumors before the draft. Pretty excited about the possibilities....I'd personally love to get Jeremy Lamb from UCONN. He's a lights out shooter with K. Leonard type of length at the SG spot.....I'm sure the Spurs FO has something up thier sleves.....who would have thought that the Spurs would have gotten K. Leo last year?!?!?! NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE saw that coming. I'm hoping they can find another player like that this year....the wings are deep in this draft and there is a lot of solid (not all-star level) but solid bigs in this years draft as well......Can't wait!
Old 06-27-12, 05:50 PM

a 6'4" SG, i don't think we have much of a chance or should we even think about it. this would have to result in a Parker deal along with probably letting Green go (Manu/Jax/Neal can play the SG). we'd still need to get a PG if we trade Parker.

i don't see a Manu trade in this because of his 15% trade kicker, his age, health, and the fact they play both positions (why not have a young kid see what he's got over an aging vet)
Old 06-27-12, 06:01 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I agree, Parker is the only real trade chip the Spurs have and the only person I would want in return would be Davis. Obviously we know this will not happen so it'll be interesting to see what the Spurs do. Manu is not much of a trade chip but maybe we could package him with the likes of a bliar or bonner to get something good in return (Lamb or Drummond, maybe M. Leonard?) who knows.....
Old 06-27-12, 06:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Wow. I sense reality sinking in.

A few days ago, Bonner, Blair and MAYBE Tiago were worth a high lottery pick. Now, not so much.

The Spurs' trade assets are Parker and Leonard. They have no draft picks. They have no cap space to absorb. They have some role players. That's it.
Combined, Parker and Leonard get you into the top 10. MAYBE the top 6. Not the top 3. Spurs don't want to make that trade.
And no one wants to give up a pick for Bonner, Blair, Tiago and Neal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-12, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Eek....will they take the at t barn instead?
Old 06-27-12, 11:16 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post

A few days ago, Bonner, Blair and MAYBE Tiago were worth a high lottery pick. Now, not so much.

The Spurs' trade assets are Parker and Leonard. They have no draft picks. They have no cap space to absorb. They have some role players. That's it.
Combined, Parker and Leonard get you into the top 10. MAYBE the top 6. Not the top 3. Spurs don't want to make that trade.
And no one wants to give up a pick for Bonner, Blair, Tiago and Neal.
Those people were on bath salts on trade this and this for a top 10 pick etc. lol
Well Denver is talking about moving Wilson Chandler for the #7 pick so TP and Kawhi would move up the draft position if that's a true rumor. Don't see Kawhi being moved. To me Blair and Neal could land a mid to late 20's to early 30's picks on the draft board. They have low salaries and might make less then those picks. Plus only have a year left on their deals.
Old 06-27-12, 11:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

THIS is a guy who can become a "Kobe" or "Lebron" type. He's a scorer and it is NO WONDER all these teams want him. I just hope he ends up in the Eastern Conference with a crappy team for years to come if we can't land him.
Old 06-27-12, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post

The Spurs' trade assets are Parker and Leonard. They have no draft picks. They have no cap space to absorb. They have some role players. That's it..
Yes.. BUT..

There are lots of teams who want to trade OUT of Round 1.
Old 06-27-12, 11:25 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Yes.. BUT..

There are lots of teams who want to trade OUT of Round 1.
Seems to me more are trading up if anything or trying to. Minnesota traded out but do they really need more young guys????
Old 06-27-12, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

This from ESPN...

Quote:
A source also said that Florida coach Billy Donovan met with Presti in Dallas when he took his two nephews to the Oklahoma City-Dallas first-round playoff series in May. Presti and Donovan have had multiple conversations on the phone about Beal, as well.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation said, "Oklahoma City exhausted every opportunity on campus to find out everything they could find out about Beal. They've done everything they can."

San Antonio, which doesn't pick until No. 59 in the second round, as well as Atlanta, which does have a first-round pick at No. 23, also made a number of calls to Donovan and Florida in the hope that each team could move up to land Beal.

But the source said the teams told Donovan it would have to be the "parting of the red sea" to pull off a move to get up to the top three in the draft.

"They gave (Donovan) the impression that they were trying to move up to get Brad," the source said.
Florida Gators' Bradley Beal -- Oklahoma City Thunder have talked moving up - ESPN
Old 06-27-12, 11:50 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Also of interest...

Quote:
According to multiple sources, the Bobcats are trying to convince teams interested in the second pick to also take back disappointing power forward Tyrus Thomas, who has more than $26 million remaining on his contract. Thomas is coming off the worst season since his rookie year as he averaged just 5.6 points and 3.7 rebounds. When asked if teams would be willing to touch Thomas, one Western Conference executive said, “I don’t think so.
Read more: NBA Rumors - InsideHoops.com
Old 06-28-12, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Also of interest...

Read more: NBA Rumors - InsideHoops.com
Tyrus Thomas if that's the condition, no one's gonna take that i don't think. if you think Amare's contract is bad, at least he contributes. this guy gives you nothing.
Old 06-28-12, 12:58 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Tyrus Thomas sucks and I wouldn't take him back with the #2 pick for just about anything.
Old 06-28-12, 01:25 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Tyrus Thomas sucks and I wouldn't take him back with the #2 pick for just about anything.
You wouldn't even make the trade even if it didn't include one of the big 3?
Old 06-28-12, 01:29 PM

Nobody else besides the big 3 and Sjax makes enough to match his contract, unless we go multiple players (e.g. Bonner plus Splitter, then that works). But I wouldn't give up Splitter to do it.

Problem is he's just a bad guy to have around the locker room. I wouldn't want to trade to get him in a scenario where we'd end up keeping him. It's like having a less talented, less motivated Terrell Owens.
Old 06-28-12, 02:30 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Was Thomas known as being a bad guy when he was in Chicago? I don't seem to remember him making that much noise.

Don't forget he's been in Charlotte where SJax and Diaw were both considered trouble makers. I wonder if his problems come partly from that organization?
Old 06-28-12, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Was Thomas known as being a bad guy when he was in Chicago? I don't seem to remember him making that much noise.

Don't forget he's been in Charlotte where SJax and Diaw were both considered trouble makers. I wonder if his problems come partly from that organization?
He wasn't too bad in Chicago. He was just lazy and stupid. But that was on his rookie contract and he was on his best behavior. He has been worse in Charlotte . . . no doubt in part due to the team culture there.
The Charlotte Bobcats might be attempting to package Tyrus Thomas in deals for its lottery pick. Good luck to them | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
The Bobcats appear to be counting down the hours until they can use the amnesty clause on the underachieving forward for the final three years and $26 million on the deal he signed with Charlotte in 2010. If Tyrus is traded to another team, though, the ability to use that clause doesn't roll over to the new franchise. And, considering Thomas' history, they would be taking in one of the crummier contracts in the NBA for a pick that will not be used to take Anthony Davis in Thursday's draft. The fact that a player who is not yet 26 and making a salary not far removed from the mid-level exception owns one of the worst contracts in the NBA is a deadening thought. Tyrus Thomas has nobody to blame but himself for not only failing to act upon his significant potential after entering the NBA in 2006, but falling backward on even the limited advancements he's made in the years since during 2011-12. He was awful, and a destructive force in the locker room, and nobody was amused.