News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-12, 07:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

OKC Fans: Great Run, But Now You Know How We Felt

First, congratulations on a great season, with so much promise for the future. Now that we're in the offseason, just a few thoughts about the parallels between your season and ours.

Expectations unfulfilled. When OKC dispatched the Spurs in quick fashion, the sports media were actually talking about whether OKC was going to be a dynasty. It seems that no one bothered to notice that people don't remember conference champions as they do world champions. Yes, OKC looked unstoppable, but you hadn't won anything yet.

With the Spurs up 2-0 against OKC, the sports media were talking about how we might be something very special -- that we could win out. Twenty straight wins with no sign of slowing down, the Celtics and Heat locked in a battle of mostly unimpressive basketball, and the Western champion looking like a lock to hoist the trophy. We hadn't lost four games in nearly 40 games, and the chance of us losing four out of five was remote.

Yet we did. And so did OKC. After taking Game 1 of the Finals to stretch your post-season win streak to five games, and remain undefeated at home, you dropped four straight to be eliminated. We share the pain of the abrupt end of a win streak with a four-game losing streak to end your season. Painful indeed.

Opponent's overachievers. Really, Mike Miller pouring in threes? Much like the near-perfect shooting from your frontcourt in Game 3 of the WCF. It was like a perfect storm that hit us in that game, and tonight's Game 5 reminded me of that.

Officiating. Not to be overlooked, but not entirely to blame. However, officiating at the end of games can decide them, and prolonged bad calls can kill comebacks and momentum. All of the calls that you routinely got against us didn't go your way against Miami. Now you know why we were uttering "conspiracy?" when you saw how the refs officiated games. It isn't fun playing 5-on-8, but I'm sure you feel that way too.

Young guys wilting under pressure. We had more guys do this against you than you did against Miami, but it still altered the team play. Danny Green couldn't throw it in the ocean and eventually saw serious bench time. James Harden was killing us from distance but couldn't do much other than flop dramatically against Miami. Both our teams were short-handed on the offensive end compared to what we'd done previously. That hurt both our chances to win our respective series.

This isn't a post to giggle about how you got a dose of what we got. I am at peace with how our season ended because you put up a better fight than we would have had we reached the Finals. This was Lebron's year, and Czar Stern saw to it that he'd make another Finals appearance and that it would end well. Don't get me wrong, he played great and earned what he got, but I knew what the Finals matchup would be when the ECF and WCF were set. No way on God's green earth that the Spurs and Celtics would meet up. Stern still probably has nightmares about the ratings that the Spurs championship series pulled for the NBA.

So, it's Gone Fishin' time for everyone. Well done, OKC. You took another step to reaching your ultimate goal. Now let's see what next season brings......
Old 06-22-12, 08:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Hey Thunder fans! What's good for the goose is good or the gander.
Old 06-22-12, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hahahahaha.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-22-12, 02:03 PM

they're not in the same boat as us to be honest.

we've at least had our share of good memories to go with the bad, they've had one good year and to say they'll return there again with this team is a stretch. they can't keep both Ibaka and Harden and it's hard to imagine bringing anyone in with little to no money to replace what one of them has brought.
Old 06-22-12, 08:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I wish Durant would demand a trade to play next to Tim..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-22-12, 11:25 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Legged Dog View Post
Hey Thunder fans! What's good for the goose is good or the gander.
LOL the last one with that red lizzard, man I hated that thing then and still do from the year it came into play here We have done little since, I wish I could just flick it off the screen man . Sorry I had to say it since I saw it again, that is a curse forever to me.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-23-12, 08:51 PM
Play-By-Play Moderator

If Mr. Stern cringes to think about the Spurs in the Finals, how the hell did the Spurs get to the Finals 4 times? I don't believe the conspiracy theories about the Spurs because they have won championships. The Sacramento Kings in the 2002 West Final was a conspiracy.

The 4 losses to end the season was a direct result of the Thunder switching on every screen and the Spurs not adjusting to it. It was 2004 all over again. Spurs win the first 2 games against the Lakers with Parker going off in those games. Lakers pack the paint to not allow the Parker layups and 4 straight losses.

It's outcoaching 101. Spurs show hand, other team adjusts, Spurs stand there and try to do the same thing and it doesn't work. If anything, the failure of this season falls on Pop for not adjusting to the switching screens.
Old 06-23-12, 08:55 PM

agree with Fundy

nothing new around these parts on conspiracies. heck for some reason the Laker fans think Stern wants US to win every year