News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-12, 01:44 PM

Wizards acquire Okafor, Ariza, 46th pick from Wizards for Lewis

The Washington Wizards have reached an agreement with the New Orleans Hornets on a trade to acquire Hornets center Emeka Okafor, according to sources close to the process.

The Wizards will get Okafor and Hornets forward Trevor Ariza for Rashard Lewis and Washington's No. 46 pick in next week's draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...ard-lewis-pick
Old 06-20-12, 01:56 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Interesting stuff there.

I was thinking Okafor might be available and he'd help us out . . . if he could stay healthy.

And Lewis will be available. He might be a good fit if he has anything left. He's no big time defender, but he brings more to the table than Bonner.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-12, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

So what are they going to do with Nene and Okafor?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-12, 02:07 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

How does this benefit the Hornets?
Old 06-20-12, 02:09 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

I think they want to surround Wall with mature, established veterans. Plus, not that Ariza is anything special, but between him and Singleton, this frees them up to draft Beal third. A Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Okafor starting five, in the East, isn't that bad, so long as Wall and Beal come at least close to living up to their potential.

Nene and Okafor can play together, because Nene's got the mid range shot and mobility to play the four, though it'll be more difficult as he ages. But, in two years Okafor's deal is up anyway, so they can let him walk and move Nene back to the five full time then. Between those two, Vesely, Booker and Seraphin, this guarantees Blatche being amnestied (if it wasn't to begin with), I would think. Great trade for new Orleans

A 22 million expiring or can amnesty Lewis if they prefer.

#1 pick.
#10 pick
And can resign Gordon with lots of cap space
Old 06-20-12, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
It saves them about $33 million.
Old 06-20-12, 02:52 PM

That's a lot of cash for a cash strapped franchise. And I guess since they know that they're not going to be winning anything for at least a few more years, (sorry UK and Hornet fans, IMHO Davis isn't the best thing since sliced bread and won't turn them into contenders next year)it makes sense. Wonder if Davis and money is enough to keep Gordon around?
Old 06-20-12, 03:09 PM

Quote:
i think he'll be on the trading block. he's owed like $22 mill or so? he'll be off the books next year, so that's a big load off for them.

i doubt they amnesty him though, but you never know.
Old 06-20-12, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hornets can't amnesty Lewis
Old 06-20-12, 03:58 PM

Finally decided to read the article and it says
"The Hornets, sources say, are planning to waive Lewis before July 1 to slice roughly $10 million off the $24 million that he is owed in 2012-13."

How would that work? I thought these contracts were pretty much fully guaranteed.
Old 06-20-12, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The more interesting question out of all of this is: where does Rashard Lewis really end up next year? I think he's still useful; he was just so AMAZINGLY OVERPAID on this current contract of his.
Old 06-20-12, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Finally decided to read the article and it says
"The Hornets, sources say, are planning to waive Lewis before July 1 to slice roughly $10 million off the $24 million that he is owed in 2012-13."

How would that work? I thought these contracts were pretty much fully guaranteed.
Contracts can be fully guaranteed or partially guaranteed in the final year.

Same thing for us a few years ago, for example with McDyess and with Oberto.

Team has the option to either pick up the final year or waive the player and pay a partial salary. But it's not automatic. Contract has to be set up that way.
Old 06-20-12, 04:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
they're now $20M under the cap, can re-sign Eric Gordon, and still have Anthony Randolph plus the #10 pick. very good situation to be in.
Old 06-20-12, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
why's that? i don't think they used it and i thought they could amnesty a contract that was signed before the current CBA
Old 06-20-12, 07:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
why's that? i don't think they used it and i thought they could amnesty a contract that was signed before the current CBA
A team can use the amnesty provision on any player they have under contract when the CBA was approved.

Hornets didn't have Lewis under contract last December.
It also excludes contracts signed after new cba.
Old 06-20-12, 11:12 PM
Herman Cain of the board

LEWIS HAS A BUYOUT PEOPLE. NO AMNESTY NEEDED!
Old 06-20-12, 11:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
There is a buy out clause dung for brains........

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-20-12 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 11:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

When the Wiz get a real coach I'll pay attention. Until then, anything they do is a waste of time, money and talent.
Old 06-21-12, 07:47 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

So, how does this trade affect what was being proposed in the following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas82 View Post
You just never know what the front office might have up their sleeves. Here is a trade idea that I saw on another board that sounded intriguing to me:

One possible trade to have a draft pick could be Splitter and Bonner and possibly Neal for Blatche and the 3 draft choice.
Washington absolutely wants to eliminate the presence of Blatche from the team and could love the chance to not pay Blathe fot the next three years...

They're not gonna take the option in Lewis contract so they don't have a stretch four and Bonner can have some value for them (after all, he's been one of the best 3 point shooters in the decade, and a slashing point man like Wall is ideal for giving him open looks).
They need a, possibly cheap, 2 guard that can take the outside shot having just Crowford under contract (so Neal become highly valueable for them; they can try to develop Crowford and gain another deadly shooter for the Wall's open looks).

They already have Nene in their front line to be paired with the longer and co-citizen Splitter : on paper that's a perfect combination of bigs, and a 6 bigs like Nene, Splitter, Seraphin, Booker, Vesely and Bonner looks like a crew as young and promising as nobody in the eastern conference).

I see a win win for both teams, also if we're gonna amnesty Blatche by the minute he's traded to us (don't think Pop wants to risk trying to train him).

It gives us 6/7 more millions of cap space (at the cost of the amnesty) and, more than everything, gives us the chance to take a possible second building block for our re-building on the fly, strong enough to contribute by the minute he wears silver and black, al la Leonard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
The Spurs can't amnesty Blatche and it would be cheaper to amnesty Bonner and move Splitter cost wise. I think a more realistic trade is Bonner and Splitter for Blatche, the draft rights to Emir Preldzic, 3million cash and picks #35 and #47. Only because you got the Wizards taking that #3 pick in this type of draft. I can see them move back but not totally out of the lottery. I'm not that big on Blatche but the Spurs can get their 2011-2012 luxury tax bill paid for and add two decent secound rounders. Blatche has potential and the rights to a very decent Euro SF makes it worth the Spurs pulling the trigger with the additional financial/draft considerations. The Spurs can sit on those picks or trade up. Also to note on Emir Preldzic that he was part of the package used by the Cavs to trade for Antawn Jamison. He was drafted in 2009. This player can shoot and pass. He has the ability to excel and play in an NBA pro offense and competes in high level competition in the Euro League. I do think the Wizards would love to move Blatche in a heartbeat but not at the cost of a premium lotto pick. Lewis has a huge buyout so he is not an amnesty target believe it or not. Which opens it up for the Wizards to use it on AB. Wizards could amnesty Blatche but at 3 more years that's a high cost to pay. Having those potential two second rounders could vault the Spurs back in the first round and still maybe keep their own #59 pick in the process. It's a winner for both sides.
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 06-21-12, 10:13 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tango from San Diego View Post
So, how does this trade affect what was being proposed in the following?
The Wizards have the Knicks second rounder in 2013. So let's make it that since it should be comparable to the one traded away to New Orleans. Sound fair?