News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-12, 08:07 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Your Matt Bonner trade ideas

I got one for you guys. More of a cap shaver for the other team.

Heat receive Bonner.

Spurs receive Joel Anthony, Dexter Pittman, and pick #27.

Why Miami does it?

Well Juwan Howard is old and non productive first off. With Mike Miller sucking gonads they need more 3 point shooters. Bonner fits the bill with size and shooting. Juwan please retire after your team wins the championship. This move is mainly done due to Joel Anthony having an extra year on his deal. Heat are in luxury tax hell. This gives them some breathing space. They do not play these guys anymore so they won't miss them much. Miller could be amnesty material. The main thing here is cap savings.

Why SA does it?

Simple they get a tall shot blocker in Joel Anthony. Pittman is a project but has already shown he is not afraid to lay the wood down on someone. Pick #27 gets them back into the mix in the first round. Also with Lorbek looking to come over when would Matt Bonner play anyway? At least the other guys are centers. Makes sense across the board for both teams.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 09:13 PM

Pittman started when Anthony was suspended, then he got benched for Turiaf (that should give you some sense on either how raw he is or how bad he is).

Anthony is one dimensional. he's not a pick and roll player (which we would need with this team) nor can he shoot.

take those things away and think about the fact Bonner wouldn't last with Spoelstra (or Riley pulling the strings) on the defensive end. right now they're winning with a G-G-F-F-F starting lineup, why would they kill that chemistry to bring in a guy who hasn't done squat in the post season and can't play his position on both sides? Bonner isn't going anywhere, we need to accept that (even if it takes a whole bottle of vodka).
Old 06-18-12, 09:36 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Come on Jose, this thread is what you were born for. Time for you to go strong or go home!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 10:12 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Pittman started when Anthony was suspended, then he got benched for Turiaf (that should give you some sense on either how raw he is or how bad he is).

Anthony is one dimensional. he's not a pick and roll player (which we would need with this team) nor can he shoot.

take those things away and think about the fact Bonner wouldn't last with Spoelstra (or Riley pulling the strings) on the defensive end. right now they're winning with a G-G-F-F-F starting lineup, why would they kill that chemistry to bring in a guy who hasn't done squat in the post season and can't play his position on both sides? Bonner isn't going anywhere, we need to accept that (even if it takes a whole bottle of vodka).
The main point is to gain a first rounder. The Spurs are not center deep and Blair is not a center. We all thought RJ was here to stay so it's possible.
Old 06-18-12, 10:13 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Come on Jose, this thread is what you were born for. Time for you to go strong or go home!
He does not like to agree with me lol.
Old 06-18-12, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
The main point is to gain a first rounder. The Spurs are not center deep and Blair is not a center. We all thought RJ was here to stay so it's possible.
Bonner for a first round pick AND 2 other players?

you've gone mad sir, just plain mad
Old 06-18-12, 11:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How about Matt Bonner for Patrick Gonzalez.
Old 06-19-12, 12:06 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Bonner for a damn trash bag, the negative a trash bag will not play, the positive Bonner will not play!!!!!! WE WIN.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-19-12, 12:23 AM
So Cal Spurs Fan

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
Old 06-19-12, 02:14 AM

Bonner in trades (money wise) will work with just about every time and you can make the "stretch the floor" argument for every NBA team out there.

problem is, with how he plays (especially in the playoffs) and how one dimensional he is (add the fact he's 6'10" and plays like he's 5'2") no one in their right minds would trade a player him at this price nor a draft pick who could play better than him overall.

if he was tradeable, he would've been gone these past 2 years to be honest.
Old 06-19-12, 08:24 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

IF (big "IF" here) Bonner goes anywhere, I don't think it will be to a contender or "perennial" playoff team. But I could see a team trying to get to the playoffs thinking a guy like Bonner could help them.
Old 06-19-12, 08:28 AM

How about Bonner and splitter and Joseph for Ilyasova? Or maybe just pick two out of those three. I am not sure exactly what our intentions are. But it seems to me that either Joseph or split or or both may be expendable based upon the euro players we are looking at bringing over. And Ilyasova is who Bonar really wanted to be when he grew up.
Old 06-19-12, 09:54 AM
SpursReport Rookie

"And Ilyasova is who Bonar really wanted to be when he grew up". hahaha that was funny!
Old 06-19-12, 10:08 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

I know it sounds crazy but remember this trade?????????

Kurt Thomas deal back in 2007.
Phoenix will send Seattle its own 2008 and 2010 first-round picks. The Suns will receive a conditional 2009 second-round pick from Seattle (via Orlando).

All that for just him? Remember Thomas was flipped for another first rounder to the Spurs. Well the Suns were trying to free up some cap money and got a trade exemption in the process. Also Bonner's deal has less years then Joel's deal. Miami has a luxury tax bill over twice the amount the Spurs do. It's not a basketball trade for the Heat. From a basketball side it looks like a huge ripoff. And yes I might have gone mad but that is nothing recent......lol

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-19-12 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-19-12, 10:11 AM
Herman Cain of the board

The first one looks decent.
The second one will not happen anytime soon.
The third one is risky because of who it involves and even than I would ask for additional compensation to take his huge contract.
Fourth one is a pipe dream!

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-19-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I know it sounds crazy but remember this trade?????????

Kurt Thomas deal back in 2007.
Phoenix will send Seattle its own 2008 and 2010 first-round picks. The Suns will receive a conditional 2009 second-round pick from Seattle (via Orlando).

All that for just him? Remember Thomas was flipped for another first rounder to the Spurs. Well the Suns were trying to free up some cap money and got a trade exemption in the process. Also Bonner's deal has less years then Joel's deal. Miami has a luxury tax bill over twice the amount the Spurs do. It's not a basketball trade for the Heat. From a basketball side it looks like a huge ripoff. And yes I might have gone mad but that is nothing recent......lol
Thing to keep in mind for Miami is that they will earn repeat offender luxury tax status and this will keep them from offering guys the full MLE as there is only a reduced $3mil for (I think) two years for repeat offenders. This will seriously impair their ability to bring in complementary pieces.
Old 06-19-12, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Let's take a page out of Jackie Moon's book and trade him for a washing machine (although Moon trade his Machine for Monnox). Listen, I am the biggest hater of old Fire Crotch. He is Memet Okur Streaky with no D. Everyone in the league knows it to. I dont even think the Bobcats would trade for him. Matt Bonner's fate remains in the dwindling days left on his contract. We will have to put up with him until it runs out. Then the world will realize that anything more than a whirlpool puts him in the overpaid category. The "Big Pasty" will then retire and slip slowly into the world of Real Estate some where in New Braunfels and then spurs fans can go on with their lives. Until then we are stuck believing the lie that when he makes 5 three's in a game, he is actually worth a hoot, only to have our face on the floor when he brings us a Mark Madsen performance in the playoffs.

But I digress
Old 06-19-12, 11:00 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Thing to keep in mind for Miami is that they will earn repeat offender luxury tax status and this will keep them from offering guys the full MLE as there is only a reduced $3mil for (I think) two years for repeat offenders. This will seriously impair their ability to bring in complementary pieces.
That's why as a side deal to this trade Miami would than amnesty Mike Miller. The trade and amnesty would help their cause short term and long term.
Old 06-19-12, 11:20 AM
SR Team Goof

I’m trade Bonner right now for a good deli corned beef/pastrami on rye sandwich with the option to add a Philly cheesesteak later. I’m sorry, it’s lunch time and I’m hungry.
Old 06-19-12, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I’m trade Bonner right now for a good deli corned beef/pastrami on rye sandwich with the option to add a Philly cheesesteak later. I’m sorry, it’s lunch time and I’m hungry.
Being a sandwich guy himself, I'm sure Bonner can respect you for that choice.
Old 06-19-12, 02:12 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpspursgo15 View Post
Let's take a page out of Jackie Moon's book and trade him for a washing machine (although Moon trade his Machine for Monnox). Listen, I am the biggest hater of old Fire Crotch. He is Memet Okur Streaky with no D. Everyone in the league knows it to. I dont even think the Bobcats would trade for him. Matt Bonner's fate remains in the dwindling days left on his contract. We will have to put up with him until it runs out. Then the world will realize that anything more than a whirlpool puts him in the overpaid category. The "Big Pasty" will then retire and slip slowly into the world of Real Estate some where in New Braunfels and then spurs fans can go on with their lives. Until then we are stuck believing the lie that when he makes 5 three's in a game, he is actually worth a hoot, only to have our face on the floor when he brings us a Mark Madsen performance in the playoffs.

But I digress
Love that movie semi pro.
Old 06-19-12, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Sounds like an awful lot for someone who sucks.

If we agree one more time, I may explode.

Old 06-19-12, 07:21 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Sounds like an awful lot for someone who sucks.

If we agree one more time, I may explode.

Ha Bonner and Splitter for Scola?
Old 06-20-12, 04:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

After a heartbreaking playoffs exit, this thread actually cracked me up.
Old 06-20-12, 07:57 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

You CANNOT trade Matt 'Red Rocket' Bonner . He is TOO IMPORTANT to this forum. I did a search and his name appears in 500 threads, plus without his sterling defense, grace under pressure, ability to hit clutch shots the Spurs would be but a shell of themselves. LEAVE HIM ALONE
Old 06-20-12, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
You CANNOT trade Matt 'Red Rocket' Bonner . He is TOO IMPORTANT to this forum. I did a search and his name appears in 500 threads, plus without his sterling defense, grace under pressure, ability to hit clutch shots the Spurs would be but a shell of themselves. LEAVE HIM ALONE
Somebody needs to do a "Leave Matt Bonner ALONE!" youtube parody.
Old 06-20-12, 10:44 AM
Herman Cain of the board

TRADE BONNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-12, 07:22 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-12, 08:31 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Let me be graphic here:

[email protected]
Old 06-21-12, 12:58 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 06-22-12, 06:04 PM
Herman Cain of the board

So no trade ideas other than Bonner for a Double BLT????
Old 06-22-12, 06:07 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Ha Bonner and Splitter for Scola?
YES, YES AND DOUBLE YES!!!

Scola Scola Scola Scola Scola Scola Scola Scola Scola

(you knew it was coming)

Old 06-22-12, 06:15 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I didn't know this but the final year of Bonner's deal has a 1 million dollar buyout. Makes things interesting.
Old 06-22-12, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post

(you knew it was coming)
But, I thought you wanted to make the Spurs better? Not more lottery?
Old 06-23-12, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post

(you knew it was coming)
It's time for all of us to pitch in so that Mom can enroll in a 12 step program to help her deal with the Scola addiction :shocked because I believe that with time and professional help she'll be able to overcome this and rejoin and even become a contributing member of society once again
Old 06-23-12, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Whatever it takes to get him out of the black & silver, I'm all for it.
Old 06-23-12, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas82 View Post
Whatever it takes to get him out of the black & silver, I'm all for it.
Then you are willing to go from the top seed to sixth or seventh in the West.
The threat of the best three point shooter in the league undoubtedly opens the lane for Tony. And open lane for Tony fuels the entire Spurs offense. First to sixth is a loss as month. Bonner contributes to more than a win a month. The second round pick you MAY get for him won't contribute as much.

He is what he is. A valuable piece on a team that needs outside shooting to thrive. Less valuable when opposing teams make a concerted effort to stop him.
Old 06-23-12, 06:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

The Bonner lovers will say they need a guy to stand on the 3 point to miss shots because TP and Manu would have never made an all star game without him spreading the floor. Funny thing is the Spurs won without Bonner on the floor or before he even got to SA. They love a regular season stalwart who misses shots in the playoffs and than they turn around and blame the Big 3 over it. The last three title banners are on the rafters because of the Big 3 not from the Red Rocket idiots! Do we need to bring out the stats for the Thunder series or 2012 overall playoff stats?
Old 06-23-12, 07:32 PM

Same thing we've always said. None of us "bonner defenders" wants him to have a big role,ESP. In the playoffs. But people who want him gone underestimate how hard it is to get smart, drama-free, versatile, fairly inexpensive players with a near league leading specialty.
Old 06-23-12, 07:39 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Same thing we've always said. None of us "bonner defenders" wants him to have a big role,ESP. In the playoffs. But people who want him gone underestimate how hard it is to get smart, drama-free, versatile, fairly inexpensive players with a near league leading specialty.
Not a big role. Just do his role in the playoffs. Why did Pop sit him out the final game? It's not like he was going to have a "Mike Miller" game for them. Trade him already. He has had enough chances!
Old 06-23-12, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Then you are willing to go from the top seed to sixth or seventh in the West.
The threat of the best three point shooter in the league undoubtedly opens the lane for Tony. And open lane for Tony fuels the entire Spurs offense. First to sixth is a loss as month. Bonner contributes to more than a win a month. The second round pick you MAY get for him won't contribute as much.

He is what he is. A valuable piece on a team that needs outside shooting to thrive. Less valuable when opposing teams make a concerted effort to stop him.

Bottom line, he shrivels up and gets intimidated by the moment when the stakes are the highest.
Old 06-24-12, 07:46 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas82 View Post
Bottom line, he shrivels up and gets intimidated by the moment when the stakes are the highest.
Maybe.
Or maybe he's so one dimensional that he's lost when that single thing he excels at is taken away.

I'd like to see him develop a secondary move. It looked like he was working on it this past season. He started driving to the right. Problem was, he wasn't consistent in how far he drove. Sometimes 2 steps, sometimes 3 or 4. I hope he chooses a number, and sticks to it. He'll learn the distance, the shot. He's an excellent shooter if he has the space.
Old 06-24-12, 07:50 AM

This thread is a perfect example of why the Spurs can never,ever,ever trade Bonner.

He stinks when pressure is on and isn't worth a darn, but when it comes to generating discussion on this forum,he's pure GOLD! And he's ok during the regular season, and if you take my recently adopted approach and don't ever count on him when it's crunch time, then you're never disappointed in his play.
Old 06-24-12, 03:01 PM
Herman Cain of the board

The Bonner lovers will say they need a guy to stand on the 3 point to miss shots because TP and Manu would have never made an all star game without him spreading the floor. Funny thing is the Spurs won without Bonner on the floor or before he even got to SA. They love a regular season stalwart who misses shots in the playoffs and than they turn around and blame the Big 3 over it. The last three title banners are on the rafters because of the Big 3 not from the Red Rocket idiots! Do we need to bring out the stats for the Thunder series or 2012 overall playoff stats?
Old 06-24-12, 03:02 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Bonner
11% FG% WCF
14% 3 point FG% WCF
31% FG% 2012 playoffs
34% 3 point FG% 2012 playoffs
Old 06-24-12, 07:43 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Trade him please Pop and RC!
Old 06-25-12, 11:18 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Bonner
11% FG% WCF
14% 3 point FG% WCF
31% FG% 2012 playoffs
34% 3 point FG% 2012 playoffs

Death
Taxes
Matt Bonner sucking in the playoffs!
Old 06-25-12, 11:29 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Bonner Sucks!
Old 06-26-12, 06:57 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Bonner still sucks!
Old 06-26-12, 07:47 PM

So let me see if I understand something, the Rockets are able to trade Chase Budinger who averages 9.4 ppg and 4.3 rebounds for a 18th pick in the draft and the Spurs can't find a trading partner for Bonner???????????? Seriously??????