News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-12, 07:07 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Rumor: Spurs may be trying to move way up in the draft

A buddy who has been a good source of insider talk and rumors from around the league is telling me that the Spurs may be trying to land the #2 pick in the draft from Charlotte in order to get Kansas player Thomas Robinson (PF).

There are some reports out there that the Spurs have been looking at Big Men who are way beyond their draft pick range and now this report leads me to believe that there may be something to this rumor.

Check it out and post your thoughts as to who SA would trade for that pick if true.

Charlotte Bobcats – The Bobcats may not trade the second overall pick, but it won’t be for lack of trying. In recent weeks, Charlotte has been in contact with a number of teams and they’ve made it clear that the No. 2 pick is available. However, multiple league sources have said that the Bobcats are looking for a lot in return. They would like to add a face of the franchise player, which is why they’ve reportedly expressed interest in young stars like Rudy Gay and James Harden. If the Bobcats can’t use the pick to make a splashy move, they’ll likely draft Thomas Robinson. However, Charlotte continues to hold out hope that they can move the pick and bring in a player who can make an impact right away.

NBA Saturday: Which Picks Are Available? | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 08:26 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Really??? Wouldn't that be something if the Spurs pulled that off.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 09:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It's not possible without sending Tony Parker (not likely) or Manu(also not likely).
Old 06-18-12, 09:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't see it unless we're offering Blair and Neal both ridiculously cheap contracts and then also ridding our squad of our euro stash talents in Lorbek and De Colo. That might be enough for Charlotte but would really gut our squad. Would be interesting that's for sure. But why go for the second pick instead of going for a pick in the mid 10s like we did last year?

- Confucius
Old 06-18-12, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Why don't we trade Matt Bonner, Corey Joseph, and DeJuan Blair for the 2nd pick.

The Bobcats need a reliable floor spacer, a "true" point guard prospect, and a dominate offensive rebounder.
Old 06-18-12, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I keep saying that I believe the Spurs will pull off the biggest shocker in the draft. My only thing, is that we need somebody taller than 6'9", which is how tall Thomas Robinson is.
Old 06-18-12, 10:30 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

BS.

I just don't see it. I don't think Robinson has enough upside or would fit next to Duncan that well. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Old 06-18-12, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
BS.

I just don't see it. I don't think Robinson has enough upside or would fit next to Duncan that well. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.
+1
Old 06-18-12, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Perhaps WHO the Spurs want with the draft pick is a total smoke screen. I think the earlier reports had them looking at Uconn's Andre Drummond.

They would have to send Ginobili (a player like Harden is mentioned), plus someone like Blair. (Would that even make sense from a cap standpoint?)

The question becomes, do you send an aging superstar like Manu for the #2 pick? That is the real question. Because that is what it will take.
Old 06-18-12, 12:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Perhaps WHO the Spurs want with the draft pick is a total smoke screen. I think the earlier reports had them looking at Uconn's Andre Drummond.

They would have to send Ginobili (a player like Harden is mentioned), plus someone like Blair. (Would that even make sense from a cap standpoint?)

The question becomes, do you send an aging superstar like Manu for the #2 pick? That is the real question. Because that is what it will take.
Absolutely. Nobody in their right mind would take an aging veteran with only 2-3 more good years left (if healthy) for a future all-star with 15 year left on his career on a ridiculously cap friendly rookie contract.
Old 06-18-12, 12:14 PM

And in that way it really doesn't make sense for either team. Charlotte has no use for a part time All-Star. San Antonio has no use for a ballplayer can't contribute to a championship team.
Old 06-18-12, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

There's no way we can trade to the top 10 picks in the draft without trading Parker. Nothing else we have is worth it.
Old 06-18-12, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas82 View Post
+1
+2 on grizz/Thomas

i think moving into the top 10 is out of the question unless you send Parker. you don't trade scrubs who are 2nd/3rd tier for a prospect that is expected to change around a whole franchise. it doesn't matter the needs of the opposing team because you can draft a really good young player and sign the likes of Cory Joseph/Gary Neal through free agency and you can find a guy who plays like Bonner (it wouldn't be a stretch either or you can get a SF who can stretch the floor since Bonner doesn't play PF in any sense of the position) for WAY less than he's earning right now.

i'd rather try to trade our scrubs for around the 15th pick or so to get a Perry Jones type player. we need a guy who is tall enough to play the PF/C position for us and at the same time play the SF position.
Old 06-18-12, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Leonard? Not that i would trade him, but he is worth a high pick for sure...
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 06-18-12, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryhn View Post
absolutely, i think he may be up there with the Big 3 as guys who would demand a high price for him.

i was thinking more along the lines of a Joseph/Neal/Bonner/Splitter/etc. type of packages for a high pick.
Old 06-18-12, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
There's no way we can trade to the top 10 picks in the draft without trading Parker. Nothing else we have is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

i think moving into the top 10 is out of the question unless you send Parker. you don't trade scrubs who are 2nd/3rd tier for a prospect that is expected to change around a whole franchise. it doesn't matter the needs of the opposing team because you can draft a really good young player and sign the likes of Cory Joseph/Gary Neal through free agency and you can find a guy who plays like Bonner (it wouldn't be a stretch either or you can get a SF who can stretch the floor since Bonner doesn't play PF in any sense of the position) for WAY less than he's earning right now.

i'd rather try to trade our scrubs for around the 15th pick or so to get a Perry Jones type player. we need a guy who is tall enough to play the PF/C position for us and at the same time play the SF position.

I don't doubt that the front office is trying to make a move. I know I'm probably in the minority who believe that we might be able to make a move without giving up Tony Parker, and possibly Manu Ginobilli. There are a few teams in the lottery that have bad contracts they want to get rid of, and the only way to entice another team to take on that contract is to throw their pick into the trade to make it happen. I have said a few times now, that we shouldn't underestimate a team's desire to cut their payroll. I'm sticking to my belief that the Spurs will make a move that none of us saw coming, that could be the biggest surprise of the day....a huge pleasant surprise.
Old 06-18-12, 05:48 PM

Maybe we get get it done by swallowing an ugly contract, but I don't see that as our route to one last push with the big 3, which is what I see as the issue here.

And Leonard is as untradeable as anybody on this team. He is a complete stud. Attitude, demeanor, work ethic, talent, all top flight. He could be our best player (even with TP) in two years.
Old 06-18-12, 11:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

again

Again I say.. It won't take Tony Parker but it will take Manu ± someone else.. Like Blair.

But again, how would this work from a salary cap angle?

Manu has an expiring contract, too. But in this case I don't see how that could be a selling point to the bobcats unless there is a third team involved.

Also, keep this in mind... The former head coach of the Toros is rumored to be the top candidate for the head coaching job in Charlotte.
Old 06-18-12, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Again I say.. It won't take Tony Parker but it will take Manu ± someone else.. Like Blair.

But again, how would this work from a salary cap angle?

Manu has an expiring contract, too. But in this case I don't see how that could be a selling point to the bobcats unless there is a third team involved.

Also, keep this in mind... The former head coach of the Toros is rumored to be the top candidate for the head coaching job in Charlotte.
Manu wouldn't work in a Charlotte trade because he's older, injury prone, and a one year rental for their top pick. that would basically put them in the same situation next year but probably with worst odds of getting 1 or 2 in the draft. any top 10 pick has to include Parker because of his play this year, his youth, and his long contract status. Manu would realistically only be attractive to a contender who wants to get over the hump and that would mean a late first round pick.

lottery picks are for bad teams who need to get a player to rebuild with. you can't rebuild with Manu, but you can certainly rebuild a team with Tony Parker.
Old 06-19-12, 12:01 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

You guys should think Captain JACK in the mix of that trade.

His contract next year is large for a bench player as a small market franchise ala Spurs.

He is going to be a great piece to offer. He is a strong PO tested and delivered and thus VALUED ASSET to move us up for fresher younger legs and good quality solid franchise build picks in such trade.

Buck Harvey said it best in his recent blog printed yesterday.

Here what Buck said:

Quote:

Incoming — A reason Jackson will resist
LINK to read this entire blog

Now, he likely wonders this: What kind of contract will he get when he’s a 35-year-old bench player?

The Spurs won’t give him an extension. There’s no reason to lock up someone of that age and stature. It’s business. Besides, Tim Duncan played this past season on the last year of his contract.

Old 06-19-12, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

do we ever think about the fact that NONE of the rumors ever really pan out? and also that we never see the Spurs FO moves coming? e.g. was there a "rumor: George Hill on the block" thread before last year's draft?
Old 06-19-12, 10:41 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryhn View Post
.....shame on you for even the suggestion...lol. Leonard is beyond a stud, dare I say he was our most realiable player in the playoffs this past year! He is our SF for years to come. Love this dude.....but technically speaking, yeah, he would be worth a high pick.....but still, ....shame on you......
Old 06-19-12, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient Express View Post
do we ever think about the fact that NONE of the rumors ever really pan out? and also that we never see the Spurs FO moves coming? e.g. was there a "rumor: George Hill on the block" thread before last year's draft?
Very true!

The only one I can think of . . . ever . . . was prediction of bringing Sjax back.
Old 06-19-12, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
.....shame on you for even the suggestion...lol. Leonard is beyond a stud, dare I say he was our most realiable player in the playoffs this past year! He is our SF for years to come. Love this dude.....but technically speaking, yeah, he would be worth a high pick.....but still, ....shame on you......
No doubt about that.

I wouldn't want to trade him for ANYONE in the draft except Davis or possibly Michael Kidd-Gilchrist . . . but I think he's going to be almost as good as MKG. But he could even be better. He's already a better shooter.
Old 06-19-12, 11:20 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Very true!

The only one I can think of . . . ever . . . was prediction of bringing Sjax back.
I suggested bringing back SJax for RJ! You're welcome Pop and RC!
Old 06-19-12, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I suggested bringing back SJax for RJ! You're welcome Pop and RC!
Call your shot! What else you got up your sleeve?
Old 06-19-12, 12:08 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Call your shot! What else you got up your sleeve?
As in what the spurs should do or what I would do or both? I had other predictions and forecasts that came true over the years. People are still eating their crow over SJax on here.
Old 06-19-12, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Leavè that to a rookie to post. This is the place that has a history or reporting news before its news. There have been countless rumors and trades that have been mentioned here first. Those of us that have been here long enough know that. Pffft.
Old 06-19-12, 07:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Leavè that to a rookie to post. This is the place that has a history or reporting news before its news. There have been countless rumors and trades that have been mentioned here first. Those of us that have been here long enough know that. Pffft.
Exactly.

Old 06-19-12, 11:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If you are looking for rumors, I know one of the guys they are looking at is Fab Melo. They spent some time looking at him at predraft camp in Chicago, and have been checking out his health. Probably not a big stretch to try and trade something to get him. More in the line of something the Spurs would pull off than trying to land a top 5 pick. Don't know a whole lot about his upside. But was a nice inside presence at Syracuse.
Old 06-19-12, 11:46 PM

What I would imagine is that they have several talking partners in the draft with some possible pre-arranged deals depending on who falls where. Or alternatively, they will watch where certain guys fall to and then call the teams whose picks are for sale to swoop in and make a move.

Totally SUCKS that the Spurs wasted their #20 pick on who I thought would be a fantastic Spur, James Anderson, and don't have one at all this year with guys like Fab Melo, Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, and Royce white potentially available in the 20-30 range.
Old 06-20-12, 06:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
What I would imagine is that they have several talking partners in the draft with some possible pre-arranged deals depending on who falls where. Or alternatively, they will watch where certain guys fall to and then call the teams whose picks are for sale to swoop in and make a move.

Totally SUCKS that the Spurs wasted their #20 pick on who I thought would be a fantastic Spur, James Anderson, and don't have one at all this year with guys like Fab Melo, Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, and Royce white potentially available in the 20-30 range.

According to some reports these are the teams looking to trade away their draft picks before the big night: Bobcats, Portland Trail Blazers, Hornets, Houston Rockets, Boston Celtics (one of their picks) and Golden State Warriors (at least one of their picks). Meanwhile, these are the teams looking to trade up: Milwaukee Bucks, Philadelphia 76ers and Brooklyn Nets.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...way-2012-draft
Old 06-20-12, 06:50 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Forget the Charlotte trade ideas. I hear the Chicago Bulls' front-office is dangling Luol Deng as trade bait for that pick.
Old 06-20-12, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post

According to some reports these are the teams looking to trade away their draft picks before the big night: Bobcats, Portland Trail Blazers, Hornets, Houston Rockets, Boston Celtics (one of their picks) and Golden State Warriors (at least one of their picks). Meanwhile, these are the teams looking to trade up: Milwaukee Bucks, Philadelphia 76ers and Brooklyn Nets.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...way-2012-draft
Celtics would be a good spot to go after. There is some solid value there . . . possibly Jared Sullinger available, Perry jones.

But shoot, that's why I can't believe they don't want both picks. They are about to have two of their big 3 gone, if not this year then the next.

There are guys with extreme talent that will be available in the late first round.

Think about it. If you're Boston, you can have 2 of the following 3:

Perry Jones
Royce White
Fab Melo.

Or maybe even Sullinger.

That sets your frontcourt for the next 5-10 years.

Plus, you have consecutive picks, so you don't have to worry about one of the guys you're targeting being gone between your selections (i.e., you like two guys, but they're close in talent level, which one do you take first and which one do you come back to a few picks later? Houston has this problem).
Old 06-20-12, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Exactly.

Oh, come on, peeps. I've been around here long enough (just don't post all the time).

I guess I just hate getting my hopes up all the time I read about something juicy...and then nothing ends up happening...(sigh)

I'll just have to accept that it's a rumor-driven society with the way things are in sports these days. Just wish there was a way for us to monitor how accurate a lot of these sites (the big ones like espn as well as the smaller ones like hoopsworld) are w/ regard to reporting of rumors.
Old 06-20-12, 05:40 PM

It would be cool to keep track of what % of stuff folks spout off about actually happens.

But even that's not really reliable . . . sometimes guys have good inside info but the FO changes its mind and goes a different direction. Sometimes the info is good but the deal doesn't go down. Sometimes (e.g. the draft) the info is good about who the Spurs are targeting, but another team takes it so we never get confirmation.
Old 06-20-12, 06:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

.00000000154%

(approximate)
Old 06-20-12, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
.00000000154%

(approximate)
so you're saying there's a chance!
Old 06-20-12, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
.00000000154%

(approximate)
That's just Will.

General population has an eight fold magnitude increase.

But I like the research. Thanks.
Old 06-21-12, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
It would be cool to keep track of what % of stuff folks spout off about actually happens.

But even that's not really reliable . . . sometimes guys have good inside info but the FO changes its mind and goes a different direction. Sometimes the info is good but the deal doesn't go down. Sometimes (e.g. the draft) the info is good about who the Spurs are targeting, but another team takes it so we never get confirmation.
True dat. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of trades that get scuttled last minute are greater than we might realize; very few get as highly publicized as the CP3 to Lakers debacle (that was really on its own level, in many ways).
Old 06-21-12, 12:29 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
That's just Will.

General population has an eight fold magnitude increase.

But I like the research. Thanks.
I got two words for you peter puffer..........

JEREMY LIN

So STFU!
Old 06-21-12, 12:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Do the Spurs even have a draft pick? I thought GS got it.
Old 06-21-12, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Do the Spurs even have a draft pick? I thought GS got it.
we don't. we'll be trading our way into the draft
Old 06-21-12, 10:20 AM

We do have a worthless late 2nd rounder.
Old 06-21-12, 01:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Worthless? Wasn't Manu a late 2nd rounder? (note the sarcasm)

S
Old 06-21-12, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

its been said, but the only way we are moving into the top 5 in the draft is by giving up TP. If Timmy does decide to retire, i think we should trade him for a top 3 or 4 pick, and manu for a lottery pick, then just start over with those two rookies and kawhi. we will probably be a lottery team next year, but maybe we win the lottery and have 4 great players going forward.

i guess my point is, no way we get into the top of the draft without trading tony, and no way we trade tony if tim is coming back
Old 06-23-12, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
we don't. we'll be trading our way into the draft
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemxcan View Post
its been said, but the only way we are moving into the top 5 in the draft is by giving up TP. If Timmy does decide to retire, i think we should trade him for a top 3 or 4 pick, and manu for a lottery pick, then just start over with those two rookies and kawhi. we will probably be a lottery team next year, but maybe we win the lottery and have 4 great players going forward.

i guess my point is, no way we get into the top of the draft without trading tony, and no way we trade tony if tim is coming back

After what our front office pulled off last year, I won't write them off. As a matter of fact, I'll even go out on a limb and say that the Spurs pull off the biggest surprise of the draft.
Old 06-24-12, 02:25 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

After calling some sources with lottery picks Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bobcats and Cleveland Cavaliers swap draft picks in Thursday's draft. In that sort of a deal, the Bobcats would pick fourth and 24th and the Cavs would move up to No. 2.

From the day he became part of this front office, general manager Rich Cho has talked about gathering extra assets, and that generally means extra first-round picks. It's a strategy the Oklahoma City Thunder leaned on when Cho was part of that front office.

CHARLOTTE, N.C.: Commentary: Polk says he has many uses for Bobcats' cap room | NBA Basketball | The Sun Herald
Old 06-24-12, 02:31 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

According to NBA sources neither the Cavs, nor the Bobcats, nor the Washington Wizards in between at No. 3, have decided which player they want to draft, so moving up may not be necessary or prudent.

At this point, it's like musical chairs with those three teams and four players _ Kansas power forward Thomas Robinson, Kentucky forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Florida guard Bradley Beal and North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes. All of those players would help all of those teams, and each of those teams needs so much help that there's probably not a bad pick in the bunch.

Trade rumors abound but Cavs are undecided | cleveland.com
Old 06-24-12, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The spurs should be trying to move up to the number 1 pick not the 2 tom benson could be talked into trading top pick for manu and tiago.