News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-18-12, 05:51 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Starting center Spencer Hawes anyone?

Starting center Spencer Hawes is an unrestricted free agent and, as the league source said, “There are a lot of teams interested in him. Who wouldn’t be? He’s a big man who can do a lot of things and is only 24 years-old.” Several sources have said Hawes could garner anywhere from $5 to $7 million a season.

The team also needs to decide whether they will amnesty the contract of Elton Brand, who is scheduled to make $18.16 million next season. The team would pay Brand that money, but it would come off of their salary cap. Doing this seems to be a no-brainer, if the new ownership group is OK with writing that check. If they do amnesty Brand, and can’t sign Williams and/or Hawes, that would free some money, perhaps allowing the team to go after a coveted free agent (maybe Orlando’s Ryan Anderson, a restricted free agent).

As Lou Williams opts out, what will Sixers do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 08:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would love to have him if the price was reasonable.

Problem is most of the prices for unrestricted free agents isn't reasonable.
Old 06-18-12, 09:39 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

No thanks. He's an okay player but we need more mobility than that next to TD.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

who is better for SA needs? him, or ersan iyasova?
Old 06-18-12, 10:44 AM

Ilyasova no doubt.
Old 06-18-12, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
who is better for SA needs? him, or ersan iyasova?
Ersan is a sf so I'd rather take the big guy.

- Confucius
Old 06-18-12, 10:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
No thanks. He's an okay player but we need more mobility than that next to TD.
Agreed! Ilyasova would be nice and as a foreign player I'm sure he fit right in SA

- Confucius
Old 06-18-12, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am guessing Ersan will command much more money. If he doesn't, I would take Ersan. He has much more potential IMHO.

On the other hand, Erazem Lorbek may be the guy. My friend from Europe (Israel), says he is most comparable to Vlade Divak.
Old 06-18-12, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I am guessing Ersan will command much more money. If he doesn't, I would take Ersan. He has much more potential IMHO.

On the other hand, Erazem Lorbek may be the guy. My friend from Europe (Israel), says he is most comparable to Vlade Divak.
Hersand will command more money than we can pay. He is projected to fetch 8 million or more. The Nets have him target. He is a power forward. Shot 45% from three and averaged 13 points nine rebounds last year.
Old 06-18-12, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

thanks! i figured that he was great fit for the system seing his numbers, but never watched a single game from him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
is a 6'10" 25 years old with 3pt range... if he can play SF mean he is fast enough i think?

his rebounding for his height is the only "downside", but maybe can improve or add bulk
Old 06-18-12, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Ilyasova no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
agree with you two.

Hawes is an ok player, but he's really not going to give us anything more than Splitter would (if Splitter got the minutes he got in Philly). the guy doesn't have an outside shot, so he'd be a disaster next to a Tiago and a Blair (he doesn't patrol the paint well enough to play next to a Bonner either).

in this point of Tim Duncan's career, he should be relied as a spot up shooter. we can be successful with someone who can't shoot in the paint, but need some type of advantage with that guy on the floor.

if you want to get a big next to Duncan who can make a good difference, he needs to give us a huge advantage somewhere (shot blocking, rebounding, help defense, man defense, etc.), not an overall average player.
Old 06-22-12, 09:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Dont think he helps us much. I was just talking to my friend about how splitter is still underrated. my friend is not a spurs fan but is forced to watch games with me and is beginning to come around. but he has always liked splitter and said he thought splitter would be really good if he was a starter, very comparable to a rasho type player for us... but i dont really think hawes improves us at all.

Last edited by InegoMontoya; 06-22-12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-22-12, 01:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spencer Hawes MIX by LONGER - YouTube

Yeah you guys are right. We don't need a true 7'er that has range out to the 3 point line, blocks shots, good passer, and is only 25!?
Old 06-22-12, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post

Yeah you guys are right. We don't need a true 7'er that has range out to the 3 point line, blocks shots, good passer, and is only 25!?
remixes are very deceiving because they're only giving you highlights of the good they do in one video instead of their overall game. i'm sure someone can make up a Jackie Butler remix to make him look impressive (or James White anyone?) factor in that the remix was made 3 YEARS ago with the Sacramento Kings (a team that hasn't had any offensive flow since Adelman left). his career 3 point stat is 25%, i think saying he can stretch the offense to the 3 is in itself a stretch.

he's a decent player, but he's only been as good as his counterpart has been. we need someone who can take the load off of Duncan, not be his sidekick. with the Sixers this past season (which has to be his best one), he only played as good as Iggy/Brand/Young played next to him. he didn't impress on his own.
Old 06-22-12, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes I get that mix takes only show the positives. But I put it up more for the purpose of those that claim splitter is better. Which it isn't even close. This guy can hit a17footer consistently. Would be a god pick and role player. Can actually dunk in traffic. And block shots.

I think hawes would be good next to tim. Either can post or play out.
Old 06-25-12, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Im not saying splitter is better, Im saying that we already have splitter, he has not shown us everything he can do (imo) yet and he already knows the offense/defense we run. We know that MOST players have a hard time picking up our schemes and as a result dont see major pt their first year or if they do they arent very productive. Hawes is good, but will probably want more then we are ready to give... plus we have bonner who is basically a plug and play solution to any problem we could ever have...
Old 06-25-12, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
Yes I get that mix takes only show the positives. But I put it up more for the purpose of those that claim splitter is better. Which it isn't even close. This guy can hit a17footer consistently. Would be a god pick and role player. Can actually dunk in traffic. And block shots.

I think hawes would be good next to tim. Either can post or play out.
He would cost a lot more than Splitter and just has different strengths/weaknesses. My primary thought is he's not very quick and pairing him with an aging Duncan doesn't seem like a good plan to me.