News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-12, 04:58 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

19 year old French draft candidate models his game after Manu

Bucks give guards a workout - m.JSOnline.com

The upcoming NBA draft is light on international prospects, but that could be good news for French shooting guard Evan Fournier. The 19-year-old, one of the top European players in the draft, is trying to show he is worthy of being a first-round selection June 28. He made a stop at the Cousins Center on Saturday to take part in a four-guard Milwaukee Bucks workout that also featured Memphis' Will Barton, Temple's Ramone Moore and Long Beach State's Larry Anderson.

Fournier is 6-foot-7 with a nice shooting touch and plenty of confidence. He believes he can make the leap from the first division of French basketball - he averaged 14.0 points for Poitiers last season - to the NBA. "I can play point guard sometimes to help the team, because I like to have the ball in my hands," Fournier said. "But I'm a shooting guard." San Antonio Spurs star Manu Ginobili has served as a role model for the French player.

"I don't have a favorite player but I love his game," Fournier said. Bucks assistant general manager Jeff Welman and general manager John Hammond saw Fournier play in the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit game in Portland, and director of player personnel Dave Babcock scouted Fournier last week in the Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy. "Anyone that can shoot the ball like that can help you," Weltman said after Saturday's workout. "So I think you start there and then you say, 'OK, now he's young. Where is he on his curve?'

"You never pin an expectation on a kid and say he's going to help us this year. But who knows?" Fournier started his series of NBA team workouts in Indiana on Friday and moved on to Milwaukee. He also has scheduled workouts with Memphis, Dallas, Chicago, New Orleans and Denver.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 05:26 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 05:32 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

However... Under pressure from a very recent workout for scouts in Europe... A different story:

Old 06-18-12, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

ok what's up with every player becoming the next Manu Ginobili? By the way doesn't he know the French aren't supposed to like Manu .
Old 06-18-12, 09:29 AM
SpursReport Rookie

we dont need the next Manu or Kobe or wade, Durant we just need the next great player and is outhere some of these scouts need to find him
Old 06-18-12, 09:30 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I'm holding out for the Ginobili twins.
Old 06-18-12, 09:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

good one grizzly_bexar!!
Old 06-18-12, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mentally, you can see that this young kid may not be ready. However, in two or three years he will be amazing. That is probably why the Spurs believe in keeping these talented Euros oversees, in development for a couple of years.