News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-12, 05:49 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Lakers are committed to moving Pau Gasol

For the NBA after the bitter lockout, all's well that ends well with LeBron James vs. Kevin Durant in Finals - NY Daily News

The Lakers are committed to moving Pau Gasol — the fall guy for their second-round ouster against the Thunder and previous playoff failures — even if they have to take back less talent. As long as Heisley retains the Grizzlies, Memphis will always have interest. Heisley has always wanted to bring Gasol back, pairing him with his brother, Marc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 08:25 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Would he fit in SA? Probably not...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 10:28 AM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
I think he could make a great addition to our team. I think he can contribute big for us. We need that big 7' presence alongside Timmy. Actually I think his brother's better, but Pau will work for now.
Old 06-18-12, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

we trade Tony for him and keep mills as a back up and hopefully we can bring Nash????
Old 06-18-12, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

They claim to want to get rid of him even if it means taking back less talent.
Old 06-18-12, 10:37 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

He would fit here for sure. I can't see how he and TD would have a problem playing with each other. Their games are fairly well interchangeable in that both are good shooters/passers/low post players. Question is what we would have that LA would want.

And you know LA has the same mindset we do. They wouldn't ever want to trade us a key piece to a championship.
Old 06-18-12, 10:38 AM

I wonder if Tiago plus Sjax would get it done.
Old 06-18-12, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Pau became a scapegoat. I would keep Pau and get rid of Bynum, first.
Old 06-18-12, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I wonder if Tiago plus Sjax would get it done.
Good question! I'd do it as I'm sure most fans would

- Confucius
Old 06-18-12, 01:03 PM

I would do that for sure. I think it's not a crazy deal.

Lakers would upgrade at SF with Sjax, have a legit starter or 6th man in Splitter (plus Jordan Hill at the 4). Then the Lakers would be way under the cap next summer. Potential for a big free agent signing.

They would have to not re-sign guys this summer & next to do it though.

Next summer Kobe will be eating up almost half their cap. Yikes! We are so lucky TD hasn't taken the Kobe route. Stupid Kobe.
Old 06-18-12, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
he definitely would. what he brings with offense and the fact he can play a pick and roll/pop game would help Duncan REALLY be the 5th option and rest him up for the defensive side of the ball.

Gasol is making around $19 million, so you'd have to throw in a Stephen Jackson contract with a boat load of other players (Splitter/Bonner/around 2 more other contracts) if we still have the likes of Duncan in the books.

we're under the cap this offseason, so we can technically take a few dollars from Pau's contract depending on what we do with our FA's. it's plausible depending on how much frustration Pau/Lakers have with each other.

if we were to somehow get Gasol to play next to Duncan and re-sign Diaw to come off the bench with Ginobili, this front court would easily be the most frustrating one to face in all the NBA.
Old 06-18-12, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

ok, let me get this straight, the Fakers are going to take stephen jackson,(and bonner) and keep metta world peace(crazy guy) Kobe(crazy guy) Bynum(crazy guy) and get rid of Gasol, ya nice try guys not going to happen, they want a good return like a tony parker not CRAZY Jackson and Bonner and not a laker type of guy (splitter)
Old 06-18-12, 04:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
ok, let me get this straight, the Fakers are going to take stephen jackson,(and bonner) and keep metta world peace(crazy guy) Kobe(crazy guy) Bynum(crazy guy) and get rid of Gasol, ya nice try guys not going to happen, they want a good return like a tony parker not CRAZY Jackson and Bonner and not a laker type of guy (splitter)
We know it won't work in reality but were mostly speculating buddy. The way his stock has been dropping for over the past year, trading him won't necessarily net the lakers a younger, yet more fan worthy player. They'll either trade him straight up for someone or for a package deal. Straight up would be the least likely scenario since gasol is almost making $20M next year

- Confucius
Old 06-18-12, 04:50 PM
SR Team Goof

I don't like LA and wouldn't approve a trade with them. They have a body we are interested in so they will call the shots. LA would want to cripple our effectiveness so they would demand Splitter, Blair and half our bench who won many games for us this past year. They are our competitors so why help improve our team. Pass on Gasol, we can do better and probably for much, much less.
Old 06-18-12, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I know we speculating but we can add a little dosis of reality one that makes sense , i didnt say it was dumb trade is just not very likely. a big star for another one!
Old 06-18-12, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I don't like LA and wouldn't approve a trade with them. They have a body we are interested in so they will call the shots. LA would want to cripple our effectiveness so they would demand Splitter, Blair and half our bench who won many games for us this past year. They are our competitors so why help improve our team. Pass on Gasol, we can do better and probably for much, much less.
they can't keep an underachieving team with how they were in luxury tax territory since they will be penalized for being repeat offenders. they need to trim the roster a bit, that's why they would take less talent or less money on the contracts, so it realistically does make sense for them to want just about everyone.

let's say we did make this trade with them, if they would want Bonner/Splitter/Blair, we would still have Duncan/Gasol/Diaw (if/when he re-signs) so the 4th big could really be anyone with those 3 on board. they wouldn't want half our bench though, they wouldn't want to match Gasol's contract, they'd want some breathing room from the tax. don't let it fool you, they want to stay contenders but they won't be at this rate. everyone not named Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum will be tradeable.
Old 06-18-12, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
Report says they want to get rid of Gasol. I'm just going off that.

I think they would have as good or better a team with Sjax plus Splitter.

And that move would also clear massive cap room for them next summer.
Old 06-18-12, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Report says they want to get rid of Gasol. I'm just going off that.

I think they would have as good or better a team with Sjax plus Splitter.

And that move would also clear massive cap room for them next summer.
Agreed!

- Confucius