SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-12, 01:13 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Report: Patty Mills to test free agency

Report: Patty Mills to test free agency
LINK

According to a report from the Australian site TheAge.com (H/T Starting5.com), San Antonio Spurs reserve point guard Patty Mills will most likely be opting out of the final year of his contract and test the free agent market. Mills has until June 25 to opt out of his contract and here is what he told the Age.

''I feel like I need to do my due diligence and really go and see what there is to make sure I explore every option,'' Mills said.

''But in saying that, I really enjoy being in San Antonio and being part of that program. I definitely want it done soon and that is what I'm trying to do so that I can get it out of the way and go to London with a clear head with the Boomers.''

Mills is set to make a little less than a million dollars this coming season with the Spurs, and he may have increased his stock in free agency with his superb play off the bench in the 16 games he played with San Antonio in the regular season. Mills averaged 10.3 points while shooting 49% from the field, and 43% from 3-point range.

He wasn't a major part of the Spurs' playoff rotation but showed he can put up points in a hurry with his regular season performances. In the last two games of the regular season, the Spurs' "big three" of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker all didn't play and rested for the playoffs. Mills led the team to back-to-back wins where he scored 27 points against the Phoenix Suns and 34 points against the Golden State Warriors.

According to the report, Mills is trying to get his NBA situation wrapped up as soon as possible so he can focus on the Olympics where he'll be coached by Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown and leading the Australian National team at the 2012 games.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 04:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Just as expected. We won't be able to retain the fella.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-12, 04:48 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalloJD View Post
Just as expected. We won't be able to retain the fella.
Not so sure, actually, that this was expected.

That being said...

Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova and guard-forward Carlos Delfino will be unrestricted free agents as of July 1. Ilyasova is expected to generate interest after he finished second in voting for the league's most improved player award, finishing behind Orlando's Ryan Anderson.

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/b...159324405.html
Old 06-18-12, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

we will not retain him, Pop couuld had used him as the speedy claxton of this spurs version during the OKC-Spurs series, we needed a change of pace and he was perfect for it since Neal wasnt doing much oh well but i like Ilasova good player
Old 06-18-12, 09:28 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

No surprise on Mills.

I thought Ilyasova was a RFA? If he's unrestricted man that is a guy I would covet. The ultimate player to pair with Tiago or Duncan.
Old 06-18-12, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No surprise. If he doesn't net a better offer elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back. Best of luck Mills

- Confucius
Old 06-18-12, 11:56 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Yeah, this isn't much of a surprise. Really he was only signed as insurance in case Tony got hurt. Joseph should get a really good shot at the backup slot this year.
Old 06-18-12, 11:58 AM

That's the whole deal. Does he get a better offer? I can't see how he wouldn't. Maybe a better financial offer but not a better situation. I guess I could see that, but I'm not betting on it.
Old 06-18-12, 12:07 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Not so sure, actually, that this was expected.

That being said...

Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova and guard-forward Carlos Delfino will be unrestricted free agents as of July 1. Ilyasova is expected to generate interest after he finished second in voting for the league's most improved player award, finishing behind Orlando's Ryan Anderson.

Bucks give guards a workout - m.JSOnline.com
It was very expected. TP's recent quote sealed it.
Old 06-18-12, 01:53 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
TP's recent quote sealed it.
Que?
Old 06-18-12, 02:10 PM

i'll eat crow on this since i thought he wouldn't be back

i doubt we keep him for the bi-annual exception and i don't think he's worth any of the MLE
Old 06-18-12, 02:43 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I would have liked him to stick. Unlike Joseph (who seems to be at least a year away), Patty looked like TP junior to me...
Old 06-18-12, 03:41 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Que?
TP made a comment regarding the Spurs free agents and included his name before he opted out.
Old 06-18-12, 04:12 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
.... Does he get a better offer? I can't see how he wouldn't. Maybe a better financial offer but not a better situation.
Totally agree, Patty will get better offers but for a 'team' environment and a top sports organization who has a consistent winning record year after year, he won't find anything outside the SA city limits. I gotta wonder if Coach Brett is polishing his recruiting schpiel any?
Old 06-19-12, 08:26 AM

You have to hope that the coaching connection will be a factor there. But this Leeseme really confused. Presumably the front office has made its intentions known to both De Colo and Mills. But we are hearing from one guy in Europe that he is coming it seems like for sure, and we are hearing from another guy who plays the same position and it is on our roster that he is considering coming back. I don't see us carrying four point guards. So what gives?
Old 06-19-12, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think the Spurs do their due diligence, and see where they are on 10 July. They make do platooning Neal and Manu as the backup PG (eww), but absolutely do not overpay for the position. Or they find a capable backup a few days into FA signings, and still don't overpay.
Old 06-19-12, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I think the Spurs do their due diligence, and see where they are on 10 July. They make do platooning Neal and Manu as the backup PG (eww), but absolutely do not overpay for the position. Or they find a capable backup a few days into FA signings, and still don't overpay.
get ready to explode because we agree. there's no reason to overpay for the PG spot when Manu can play it.

even in the worst situation, we still got Joseph who can be our 3rd string (especially if we bring De Colo in).
Old 06-19-12, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Boom!

Or DOOMZ?
Old 06-19-12, 05:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hey all our guards end up in San An.... Gaze then Heal.

If the Spurs are planning on losing Joseph or trade De Colo rights and want Patty then I am sure Brett Brown is going to do his best to convince him that this stop is best for his development right now and do well here you can get a bigger payday later.
Old 06-19-12, 11:04 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

I don't know what the hype is around that guy outside of a game or two where he was given the green light to shoot and shot decent! He is not proven so good luck to him wherever he goes.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-19-12, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
I don't know what the hype is around that guy outside of a game or two where he was given the green light to shoot and shot decent! He is not proven so good luck to him wherever he goes.
I think he has shown more than that. However, I could certainly agree that he has not shown inability to run the team as the point guard against high-level competition on a consistent basis. He has great shooting touch and that will scoring ability, and I like his defense of energy, but his height is certainly a concern for matchup's on a night in, night out basis.

He looked a lot better than Cory Joseph, but then again he has several years of NBA and international experience on Joseph.
Old 06-22-12, 09:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

People arent going to like this, but i have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that he will end up in LA backing up sessions...
Old 06-22-12, 09:51 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by InegoMontoya View Post
People arent going to like this, but i have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that he will end up in LA backing up sessions...
Sessions opted out of his deal so maybe not.
Old 06-24-12, 01:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I will miss Patty. He was such a cheerleader in the POs--so excited.
Badgerland's #1 Spurs fan.

Still crazy after all these years.
Old 06-24-12, 02:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

So you're saying we may be seeing the Lakers new point guard?
Old 06-25-12, 08:19 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Im not saying i have any inside info or anything, its just a strange feeling. Is it just me or does he seem like he would be a good fit in their present lineup? Now, I think they are going to make a lot of changes in LA, but i just feel like the lakers could use a speedy point who can push the break and hit the 3 when kobe drives...
Old 06-25-12, 10:47 AM

I don't see the Lakers targeting him with Sessions likely back at a raise and Blake still on the roster.

I could be wrong.

Two things that could make sense about that setup are 1) his height is the main weakness, but that's not an issue so much if you have 2 seven footers behind you, and 2) his outside shooting is his big strength, which would complement Kobe/Paul/Bynum very well.
Old 06-25-12, 12:12 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I know blake had a couple big moments in the playoffs but i feel like LA is generally unhappy with his tenure there, And they are similar players with mills having more upside imo. obviously this is all moot if Tonys eye keeps him out at all...
Old 06-26-12, 08:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Was on Australian tv last night, talked for 10 mins on how much he wants to stay in SA, saying that playing behind, and learning from, tony parker, was the ideal place for him to be. Not sure if he was being nice, but seemed very happy with SA, was worried he was off the N BA radar a bit after playing in China. Really stoked that a team like SA picked him up, and played him. Was on an ABC TV show called Grandstand, you might be able to view it on Iview?
Old 06-26-12, 08:40 PM

That's great. I doubt he'd be over the top diplomatic like that about it if he weren't planning on staying.

Maybe he just wants a multi-year guaranteed deal, and isn't counting on a huge raise.
Old 06-27-12, 12:04 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
That's great. I doubt he'd be over the top diplomatic like that about it if he weren't planning on staying.

Maybe he just wants a multi-year guaranteed deal, and isn't counting on a huge raise.
In that case give him a contract for multi years and give him a full mini camp here and see what the kid can do! What other choice do we have? Joseph? NO.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-27-12, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
In that case give him a contract for multi years and give him a full mini camp here and see what the kid can do! What other choice do we have? Joseph? NO.
Why are you giving up on Joseph so quickly?

He hasn't had summer league or a full training camp experience. He got a "We'll sign you sometime, make sure you're ready to play when we call" intro to the NBA.

POR had Mills for a couple years, and decided to waive him. Probably a money thing, but still. Waived.

Joseph is cheap for the next few years. He should play 10 minutes a game through January of next year. Then you'll know.
Old 06-27-12, 11:35 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

He hasn't had summer league or a full training camp experience. He got a "We'll sign you sometime, make sure you're ready to play when we call" intro to the NBA.

POR had Mills for a couple years, and decided to waive him. Probably a money thing, but still. Waived.

Joseph is cheap for the next few years. He should play 10 minutes a game through January of next year. Then you'll know.
I thought Mills was a FA before signing with Spurs. Thought Portland declined a qualifying offer to him? That's like saying James Anderson was waived. His contract expired....he was not waived. It was a money thing with Portland. JA is not a money thing though. But technically neither was waived right?
Old 06-27-12, 11:38 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:

TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree.