News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-11-12, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hope

Gotta give to get. So we trade with sacramento at the 5th pick. They are looking for some leadership to help their young talent. So we give up; manu ginobli, matt bonner, tiago splitter, and a future first round pick.

We also make a second trade. dejuan blair, corey joseph to cleveland for pick 34. They also have pick 33.

DRAFT:

1. Andre drummond C 6'11" 270- very athletic. And very high potential.
Andre Drummond | NBADraft.net
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Drummond-5772/

2. Hollis thompson SG 6'8" 205- great shooter. Good athleticism too.
Hollis Thompson | NBADraft.net
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Thompson-5823/

2. Miles plumlee C 7' 260- athletic kid to use as 6 fouls. A scrappy kid to hussle.
Miles Plumlee | NBADraft.net
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Miles-Plumlee-5261/

FREE AGENCY:

resign boris diaw.
Resign patty mills
Resign danny green
Sign nano de colo
And the big signing spencer hawes C. Trading manu freed up money.

ROSTER:

PG- parker, mills, de colo

Parker obviously starts here. Mills gets more opportunity with the added time in offseason. He is quick, can handle the ball, and shoots well. De colo comes over as a PG/SG combo and adds depth. Has a good shot and good handles.

SG- green, neal, thompson, de colo

I like green. And another year will help him develop more. Neal gets to move back and focus on shooting and coming off screens. Can play in shorter spurts and shoot lights out. Thompson comes in and adds length and athleticism at the SG spot. Will thrive as a spot up shooter. And could make neal expendable. De colo is depth.

SF- leonard, jackson, wright

Lots of length and athleticism here. A huge up grade from last year. Leonard will make big improvements with an offseason. Jackson is our new 6th man. And wright is an end of the bench guy with big talent. Can learn to be a true professional.

PF- duncan, diaw, drummond

Duncan gets rejuvenated with young blood around him. Diaw is the new spacing 4 man. A huge upgrade over blair and bonner. Drummond gets more time as a 5 but is the future 4 man here. Jackson our wright can play here too when we go small.

C- hawes, drummond, plumlee

Hawes is a stud and still young. A true 7 footer. Gives duncan help inside on defense but can also score big. Him and drummond are the future big men. Drummond gets time here too. Super athletic and a defensive stud right away. Plumlee ads depth, size, and length. Well coached at duke.

Last edited by mataipaepae; 06-11-12 at 11:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-12, 12:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I can't imagine a Spurs team without Manu... probably I'll follow the team that's he's been traded to if that ever happens
Hopefully he'll retire as a Spur
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-12, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Won't happen
Old 06-12-12, 08:03 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I wish you were kidding me, but I know you are not.
Old 06-12-12, 08:36 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

as painfull as it sounds, makes sense...

theres not enough $$ and theres no other valuable trade assets.. young talent is needed... someone who can punish teams who play us to shutdown parker and/or being physical..

Last edited by JuanCaca; 06-12-12 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 08:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Not the worst Manu trade I have seen.

I usually lambaste people who cry for us to go after some "big" free agent. With that said, the one free agent that I would go after would be spencer hawes.
Old 06-12-12, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I wish you were kidding me, but I know you are not.
Oh ok just keep the status quo.
Old 06-12-12, 09:30 AM
The Master Baiter

I would do it, but it won't happen. The FO, when it comes down to it, will try to keep this current core together until Tim retires. Which is unfortunate because this core won't win another title unless they bring in another legitimate scorer that can create his own shot.

What people around here don't realize is that Manu is no longer Manu. He is a role player now. He can will the team to win once in a playoff series, that's it. The team needs more than that. Game 6 is a perfect example. A team like OKC, you're not going to stop them from scoring in the 4th quarter. So you better be able to keep up, and the Spurs couldn't score. They don't necessarily need a defensive big. It would help, but this fictional big wouldn't have stopped Durant or Harden. Their defense is good enough, they just don't have the star power anymore.
Old 06-12-12, 09:58 AM

Manu to Sac won't happen. the Kings would like veterans, but not a veteran with a 1 year deal who'll either retire or sign elsewhere afterwards unless they're contending. that's a boatload of contracts to trade for a 1st round pick.

the one thing that i do like is freeing up cap space. a big name FA won't come here but we can get some decent pieces. with that money, re-signing Danny Green wouldn't be a priority since we could sign a better SG. Mills (i'll keep saying it and no worries, reminding you all if he does) won't opt out. Boris will be a priority.

i do got a question on De Colo. he's a PG right? so we'll have Parker/Mills/Neal/De Colo? that's a pretty small backcourt and an abundance in PG's. if we were going that route, it'd make more sense to see what we'd get out of Parker instead of Ginobili.
Old 06-12-12, 10:06 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Manu to Sac won't happen. the Kings would like veterans, but not a veteran with a 1 year deal who'll either retire or sign elsewhere afterwards unless they're contending. that's a boatload of contracts to trade for a 1st round pick.

the one thing that i do like is freeing up cap space. a big name FA won't come here but we can get some decent pieces. with that money, re-signing Danny Green wouldn't be a priority since we could sign a better SG. Mills (i'll keep saying it and no worries, reminding you all if he does) won't opt out. Boris will be a priority.

i do got a question on De Colo. he's a PG right? so we'll have Parker/Mills/Neal/De Colo? that's a pretty small backcourt and an abundance in PG's. if we were going that route, it'd make more sense to see what we'd get out of Parker instead of Ginobili.
Neal isn't a PG though, he should be playing SG. And if you trade Parker, you trade your best player. No, it doesn't make sense to trade Parker instead of Manu.
Old 06-12-12, 10:14 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
Gotta give to get. So we trade with sacramento at the 5th pick. They are looking for some leadership to help their young talent. So we give up; manu ginobli, matt bonner, tiago splitter, and a future first round pick.

We also make a second trade. dejuan blair, corey joseph to cleveland for pick 34. They also have pick 33.

DRAFT:

1. Andre drummond C 6'11" 270- very athletic. And very high potential.
Andre Drummond | NBADraft.net
DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Andre Drummond, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

2. Hollis thompson SG 6'8" 205- great shooter. Good athleticism too.
Hollis Thompson | NBADraft.net
DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Hollis Thompson, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

2. Miles plumlee C 7' 260- athletic kid to use as 6 fouls. A scrappy kid to hussle.
Miles Plumlee | NBADraft.net
DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Miles Plumlee, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

FREE AGENCY:

resign boris diaw.
Resign patty mills
Resign danny green
Sign nano de colo
And the big signing spencer hawes C. Trading manu freed up money.

ROSTER:

PG- parker, mills, de colo

Parker obviously starts here. Mills gets more opportunity with the added time in offseason. He is quick, can handle the ball, and shoots well. De colo comes over as a PG/SG combo and adds depth. Has a good shot and good handles.

SG- green, neal, thompson, de colo

I like green. And another year will help him develop more. Neal gets to move back and focus on shooting and coming off screens. Can play in shorter spurts and shoot lights out. Thompson comes in and adds length and athleticism at the SG spot. Will thrive as a spot up shooter. And could make neal expendable. De colo is depth.

SF- leonard, jackson, wright

Lots of length and athleticism here. A huge up grade from last year. Leonard will make big improvements with an offseason. Jackson is our new 6th man. And wright is an end of the bench guy with big talent. Can learn to be a true professional.

PF- duncan, diaw, drummond

Duncan gets rejuvenated with young blood around him. Diaw is the new spacing 4 man. A huge upgrade over blair and bonner. Drummond gets more time as a 5 but is the future 4 man here. Jackson our wright can play here too when we go small.

C- hawes, drummond, plumlee

Hawes is a stud and still young. A true 7 footer. Gives duncan help inside on defense but can also score big. Him and drummond are the future big men. Drummond gets time here too. Super athletic and a defensive stud right away. Plumlee ads depth, size, and length. Well coached at duke.
Your Clevland trade idea is giving up way too much. Giving up Blair should net a pick in the 20's alone without Joseph. Also Sacramento has plenty of guards. You are giving up way too much and not factoring salary cap in some these ideas. Yeah the Spurs ' end is good but what about the other teams' cap? You are just killing theirs!
Old 06-12-12, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Neal isn't a PG though, he should be playing SG. And if you trade Parker, you trade your best player. No, it doesn't make sense to trade Parker instead of Manu.
if we were to trade a Big 3, it'd have to be Parker. he's the one who's gonna give us more quality players, has a set contract in (the opposing team would know it's set at PG for a few years), unlike with Manu where he'll be a FA and is known to not be healthy most of the time.

there's a better chance at trading Parker for either good players and/or a lottery pick than trying to convince a team to take an older injury prone Ginobili who may bolt after that year (where they'd most likely just rather keep their lottery pick)
Old 06-12-12, 03:33 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
if we were to trade a Big 3, it'd have to be Parker. he's the one who's gonna give us more quality players, has a set contract in (the opposing team would know it's set at PG for a few years), unlike with Manu where he'll be a FA and is known to not be healthy most of the time.

there's a better chance at trading Parker for either good players and/or a lottery pick than trying to convince a team to take an older injury prone Ginobili who may bolt after that year (where they'd most likely just rather keep their lottery pick)
I think TP but would bring more value than Manu.
Old 06-12-12, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

How about a sign/trade of Duncan for Scola?
Spurs end up in lottery (where Scola teams go), win the lottery, and Bam! back in contention.
Old 06-12-12, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataipaepae View Post
Oh ok just keep the status quo.
I am not in favor of 100% keeping the status quo.

I am in favor of keeping a guy who can play at an elite level rather than take on a big man who realistically won't have a shred of a clue until TD is sitting in the stands watching the game.

IF he pans out at all.

Anybody who wants one of the non-Anthony Davis big men in this draft . . . you can convince me by showing how you told everyone that Hasheem Thabeet, Kwame Brown, and Dark Milicic wouldn't make it as stars in the league.
Old 06-12-12, 06:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

But the Spurs are only 2 fewer minutes of Bonner and a coaching change away from the Finals!
Old 06-12-12, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I would do it, but it won't happen. The FO, when it comes down to it, will try to keep this current core together until Tim retires. Which is unfortunate because this core won't win another title unless they bring in another legitimate scorer that can create his own shot.

What people around here don't realize is that Manu is no longer Manu. He is a role player now. He can will the team to win once in a playoff series, that's it. The team needs more than that. Game 6 is a perfect example. A team like OKC, you're not going to stop them from scoring in the 4th quarter. So you better be able to keep up, and the Spurs couldn't score. They don't necessarily need a defensive big. It would help, but this fictional big wouldn't have stopped Durant or Harden. Their defense is good enough, they just don't have the star power anymore.
Manu is still Manu. But I think it has been noted his ability to get by athletic defenders is diminished. He has to be a secondary creator, not a primary one, i.e. secondary penetration after TP has made his move. But you are right we can count on him to win us a game or 2, but not a series.

The reason I focus on having a defensive big is because we have to double team on the perimeter even with really good defenders like Leonard and Jackson. A defensive big can allow our guys to overplay on the perimeter vs. guys like Durant & Westbrook, while not helping off perimeter shooters like Harden and Fisher.

Think back to how OKC would attack us. Pick & Roll or straight penetration by Durant. Help defender comes from the perimeter-- Harden or Fisher for 3. Game over, series over.

We did the same thing to OKC but Ibaka was waiting on TP/Manu/Leonard/Jackson. Hence turnovers/misses/blocks. Hence Danny Green being afraid to penetrate and only shooting contested 3's.
Old 06-12-12, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
How about a sign/trade of Duncan for Scola?
Spurs end up in lottery (where Scola teams go), win the lottery, and Bam! back in contention.