News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-12, 06:09 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Buck Harvey Blogs! Duncan & KG — together at last?

Duncan and Garnett — together at last? | Buck Harvey on Sports | a mySA.com blog

The Spurs will consider everything and everyone this summer when free agency begins. But one option tossed out this weekend by one in the Spurs organization is not just another name.

Kevin Garnett.

Don’t know him?

He’s better known in San Antonio as Tim Duncan’s evil twin.

There was a time when it looked like Duncan and Garnett might face off against each other for the 2012 title. Duncan came within two wins of the Finals, Garnett one.

Now they are unrestricted free agents, and, as always, contrasts. While Duncan is expected to quietly re-sign this summer with the Spurs, no one is sure what happens next in Boston. Garnett added to the uncertainty Saturday night, leaving the locker room without talking to reporters.

Garnett could retire. He could sign another contract with the Celtics. Or the Celtics might not want to sign him so they can begin rebuilding.

“Hopefully management can do something to bring [Garnett] back, maybe add some pieces to this team that we need to get over the top,” Paul Pierce told reporters Saturday night. “If not, it’s been a tremendous run.”

The Celtics reacted after the loss Saturday night as if they knew the run is over. And if that is true, and if Garnett wants to continue playing, teams will line up to sign him. He can still defend, and he averaged more than 19 points, 10 rebounds and 36 minutes in the playoffs.

Some will have more money to offer than the Spurs will. Some might have more young talent to put around him. All the Spurs could give Garnett is the closest thing to what he had in Boston, a veteran core with a chance to contend.

But it’s the pairing of Garnett with Duncan that would make this free-agency signing a stunning story. While they would fit together on the court, they never have as people. They are similar in size, ability and birth (one month apart), yet have been opposites.

This spring told of that again: Sports Illustrated wrote Duncan “hates (Garnett) the way liberals hate Sean Hannity.”

Still, playing against someone isn’t the same as playing with him. A lot of scorers never liked Bruce Bowen defending them, for example, but they probably would have wanted him on their team.

So listen to what else Pierce told reporters Saturday about Garnett:

“He’s done everything for my career, just his locker room presence, his desire, his determination. Just his leadership. I said before, when Kevin first got here he really changed the culture of everything we did around here, you know, practice habits to the discipline. He made everybody accountable, from the ball boys to the chefs to the guy who flew the plane, everybody was accountable. It’s been tremendous to have him around, just the culture he brought, you know?”

Think Duncan could play with someone like that?

Why not?

I would personally LOVE to bring KG here if he would go for what we can offer him!!! It is all up to Tim Duncan folks! Who knows!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-12, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No way in a million years would San Antonio ever consider getting Garnett. Well, we would have to give up Ginobili to do so. Don't think the fan base is going to like that. And Garnett and Duncan are similar players.

I think the Celtics will retain their big three. Giving Allen the Mid-Level Exception and signing Garnett for $14 mil for 2 years. They have easily enough money to do this.

They, just like the Spurs, don't need to break up their big three just yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-12, 07:23 PM

Oh I don't know how the fan base can be opposing if Tim Duncan and Pop think they can be better with KG, the Spurs FO might find a way to fit him here and keep Manu if they have to.

Who knows it is all up to Tim Duncan and what he wants to do. Anything can happen if TD and the FO are agreeing on that.

I personally would LOVE to see KG (the Big Ticket) in San Antonio. His PASSION to the game is immeasurable.

Tim would play with anyone. He did play with Kevin in the AllStar game many many times. They both played great.

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-10-12, 08:43 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

OOOH HELLLL NOOOOO!

Old 06-10-12, 09:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I say heck yes, Both TD and KG can interchange playing the high low game.
Old 06-10-12, 09:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

With the addition of KG may all we need for a full run next year provided that we keep the majority and rid of either bonner and/or blair.
Old 06-10-12, 09:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Stupid! First, Duncan and Garnett just don't mix and get along personally. 2nd, they have the same sort of game. I guess you can do Duncan at Center and Garnett at Power Forward. Third, Garnett would want anywhere between $12-$14 mil next season with a team just like Duncan. I think both will sign with their teams for anywhere between $12-$14 million for a few years. So with salary cap, we couldn't do this. Only way we could is if we gave up Ginobili. Would you want to give up Ginobili for Garnett?

Garnett is the biggest loud mouth punk out there. No thanks! The Spurs fan base wouldn't like this either.
Old 06-10-12, 09:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

at least with him we could have 2 defensive anchors, we can go back to being a defensive team, but no way in hell this happens, i think duncan trully hates him
Old 06-10-12, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I mentioned this exact possibility a week or two ago. I do think that if pop and TD were up to the task the fan base would follow suit. It's not like we're talking about a headcases like artest. We have our own SJAX and KG is not near that level, but one thig is certain: if he wants a last shot at a ring I think we'd stand a better chance getting him than say Miami (don't see a player of his caliber and pride going to a team like the heat ). If we get him Timmy could play center once and for all and Tiago and Diaw could come off the bench. Imagine that lineup of bigs with the possibilit of still acquiring Lorbek

- Confucius
Old 06-10-12, 10:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I mentioned this exact possibility a week or two ago. I do think that if pop and TD were up to the task the fan base would follow suit. It's not like we're talking about a headcases like artest. We have our own SJAX and KG is not near that level, but one thig is certain: if he wants a last shot at a ring I think we'd stand a better chance getting him than say Miami (don't see a player of his caliber and pride going to a team like the heat ). If we get him Timmy could play center once and for all and Tiago and Diaw could come off the bench. Imagine that lineup of bigs with the possibilit of still acquiring Lorbek
The only way imaginable this can happen is if we give up Ginobili. Garnett is going to want $12 mil-$14 mil.

This would mean if keep Ginobili and both Duncan and Garnett sign for $12 million/year each we would have:

1) Parker $12.5 mil
2) Garnett $12 mil
3) Duncan $12 mil
4) Ginobili $14 mil

Four players at $50 mil. No way! And we have Jackson at $10 mil. Unless Boston wants to pick up Jackson's $10 mil, then this could somewhat work. But more than likely Garnett resigns with Boston for $14 mil next season and Allen stays for the Mid-Level exception. And they would have their foursome back.

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-10-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 11:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosaspurs2150 View Post
The only way imaginable this can happen is if we give up Ginobili. Garnett is going to want $12 mil-$14 mil.

This would mean if keep Ginobili and both Duncan and Garnett sign for $12 million/year each we would have:

1) Parker $12.5 mil
2) Garnett $12 mil
3) Duncan $12 mil
4) Ginobili $14 mil

Four players at $50 mil. No way! And we have Jackson at $10 mil. Unless Boston wants to pick up Jackson's $10 mil, then this could somewhat work. But more than likely Garnett resigns with Boston for $14 mil next season and Allen stays for the Mid-Level exception. And they would have their foursome back.
Why wouldn't he play for a minimum contract or something similar to it? He's made over $100M contract in his day. I think it's highly improbable it happens but wouldn't put It past a HOF player to take less or even drastically less for a chance at another ring. He'd be a great fit but FO would be asking for a lot to make him or anyone else of his talent do that

- Confucius
Old 06-10-12, 11:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Why wouldn't he play for a minimum contract or something similar to it? He's made over $100M contract in his day. I think it's highly improbable it happens but wouldn't put It past a HOF player to take less or even drastically less for a chance at another ring. He'd be a great fit but FO would be asking for a lot to make him or anyone else of his talent do that
Doesn't matter, it also comes down to what their agents get too. They would get a piece of the pie of their signings.

These two players, Duncan and Garnett, aren't going to take likely less than $12 million for a few seasons. Some team out there who isn't a contender might even offer Garnett $15/yr million for a few seasons anyways.

And no way in hell would Duncan or Garnett sign for a minimum contract no matter how much money they have made in the past or championships they can get. Remember, its their agents that want to cash in too.

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-10-12 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 12:01 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I think the Spurs will look at him and do their due diligence. I don't think they'd do any big roster change to bring him in. It would be him signing for the MLE or not. No way we trade Manu to get him.
Old 06-11-12, 01:10 AM

I agree with you Grizzly Bexar. Like I said fro what we can offer him which is what you mentioned. He is not after $ anymore he would just like to retire with another ring.

Remember KG mentioned he wanted to retire. And after Danny Aige (C's GM)(sp?) said he wanted to blow the team and had been putting everyone on the trade block, I can see KG not signing with them back. Not if a great contender as Spurs or let's say Kobe & Lakers or maybe the Mavs called him up.

The best thing for KG is here because we have COY and TD and Manu and TP. BTW KG said he is a Manu fan.

And KG had played for good coaches but never in as Great system as Pop's. This hating we see from some Spurs fans is natural. Remember Karl Malone?

I assure everyone that KG is now a much more mature player 100% better than the one you all knew before. You would be surprised with his level of matureness and making everyone around him so passionate to play better. He could be the Ultimate Missing Element here. He will bring intensity, fire, and Jack would be so excited to play with him.

TD would most likely feel the great comfort of having someone to depend on his great superior inside D. Something was so incredibly missing since the Admiral retired.

Tim and all Spurs players and fans will thank the FO later if this happened.

I sincerely hope that could happen. If not at least the FO Must attempt to make this happen because this one is a no brainer move for any great contender GM.

Go Spurs Go!!!!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 06-11-12 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 01:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
I agree with you Grizzly Bexar. Like I said fro what we can offer him which is what you mentioned. He is not after $ anymore he would just like to retire with another ring.

Remember KG mentioned he wanted to retire. And after Danny Aige (C's GM)(sp?) said he wanted to blow the team and had been putting everyone on the trade block, I can see KG not signing with them back. Not if a great contender as Spurs or let's say Kobe & Lakers or maybe the Mavs called him up.

The best thing for KG is here because we have COY and TD and Manu and TP. BTW KG said he is a Manu fan.

And KG had played for good coaches but never in as Great system as Pop's. This hating we see from some Spurs fans is natural. Remember Karl Malone?

I assure everyone that KG is now a much more mature player 100% better than the one you all knew before. You would be surprised with his level of matureness and making everyone around him so passionate to play better. He could be the Ultimate Missing Element here. He will bring intensity, fire, and Jack would be so excited to play with him.

TD would most likely feel the great comfort of having someone to depend on his great superior inside D. Something was so incredibly missing since the Admiral retired.

Tim and all Spurs players and fans will thank the FO later if this happened.

I sincerely hope that could happen. If not at least the FO Must attempt to make this happen because this one is a no brainer move for any great contender GM.
Interesting points. The Celtics and the Spurs are extremely similar this off season and extremely similar how both of them lost too a more athletic, slightly better team. I think both teams don't break up there big three just yet.

First, Garnett isn't going to retire, and he isn't going below $10 mil in salary next season and neither is Duncan. I can see both of them signing 2 year $24 million contracts for their teams. Boston will likely give Ray Allen the MLE. And he will do this most likely. So both teams remain intact with their key players to make another run at it next season.

Again like I said, these players have greedy agents, and these greedy agents want some of the pie too.

And in order for Garnett to come here, we would have to give up Ginobili to Boston and that wont happen!
Old 06-11-12, 01:28 AM

There is a report that just came out today- I will find the link later showing the C's are interested in Danniel Green of the Spurs. S & T?

Another thing is Buck mentioned in this report that the Spurs FO have KG on their list of FA's. Like I said it is a no brainer to test that FA for our Spurs GM.

I hope things get interesting, you never know!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-11-12, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
There is a report that just came out today- I will find the link later showing the C's are interested in Danniel Green of the Spurs. S & T?

Another thing is Buck mentioned in this report that the Spurs FO have KG on their list of FA's. Like I said it is a no brainer to test that FA for our Spurs GM.

I hope things get interesting, you never know!
I think it might have been said before that the Spurs rarely sign free agents, and I think that is correct now that I think about it.

Also, yeah, I think the Spurs might have a deal in the works with Boston. I explained the deal earlier of what could happen here. It makes sense what I think they could be doing.
Old 06-11-12, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Boston will likely give Ray Allen the MLE. And he will do this most likely.
Since Allen is coming off a long term contract with the Celtics, they don't have to use the MLE on him. They can pay him an MLE equivalent salary though to match what any capped-out team could offer.

Actually now that I think about it they have been a long term luxury tax payer so I don't think the regular $5mil MLE is available to them ($5mil x 4 years 20 mil) but rather only a limited $3mil/2 year = $6mil deal. But again, that applies only to FA not from their squad. They are free to Ray Allen the max if they wish.

Quote:
Interesting points. The Celtics and the Spurs are extremely similar this off season and extremely similar how both of them lost too a more athletic, slightly better team. I think both teams don't break up there big three just yet.
I agree. If I'm Danny Ainge, knowing that this team took Miami to 7 without Jeff Green, its most athletic big man, and without Bradley, its best wing defender, then I bring them back, same salaries, for one more year. Tell KG/Allen, look, I'll pay you the max again, one more year. That's it. Take it or leave it. I'd bet they give it another try.

The other option is for him to dump the old guys and see what he can get either via trade or FA. He is starting with a solid core of Rondo/Bradley/Green.
Old 06-11-12, 02:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Since Allen is coming off a long term contract with the Celtics, they don't have to use the MLE on him. They can pay him an MLE equivalent salary though to match what any capped-out team could offer.

Actually now that I think about it they have been a long term luxury tax payer so I don't think the regular $5mil MLE is available to them ($5mil x 4 years 20 mil) but rather only a limited $3mil/2 year = $6mil deal. But again, that applies only to FA not from their squad. They are free to Ray Allen the max if they wish.

I agree. If I'm Danny Ainge, knowing that this team took Miami to 7 without Jeff Green, its most athletic big man, and without Bradley, its best wing defender, then I bring them back, same salaries, for one more year. Tell KG/Allen, look, I'll pay you the max again, one more year. That's it. Take it or leave it. I'd bet they give it another try.

The other option is for him to dump the old guys and see what he can get either via trade or FA. He is starting with a solid core of Rondo/Bradley/Green.
Nice points! You are right about Allen, and I think that they can't give him the MLE because they went over the luxury tax and repeat offenders. LOL

So yeah, I can see them signing Allen for $7 million for a year or two years. I don't thik they will give them the same salaries though that is for sure. They will be signing for less. Garnett maybe at $15 mil and Allen at $7 million, which I think he made $10 million last season.

And you are right, they were without Jeff Green, and Bradley and still pushed them to 7 games. Not bad at all. Jeff Green will be back but honestly, I want to see if we can get Bradley from them in a trade, and I have proposed such a trade that could make sense for both teams.
Old 06-11-12, 04:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

First, Garnett isn't going to retire, and he isn't going below $10 mil in salary next season and neither is Duncan. I can see both of them signing 2 year $24 million contracts for their teams. Boston will likely give Ray Allen the MLE. And he will do this most likely. So both teams remain intact with their key players to make another run at it next season.

Again like I said, these players have greedy agents, and these greedy agents want some of the pie too.

And in order for Garnett to come here, we would have to give up Ginobili to Boston and that wont happen!
Dude unless you're family or close friends of Duncan and KG, you don't know what they will be willing how low they will sign for. I definitely think they both will sign for less that what YOU know.
Old 06-11-12, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter, it also comes down to what their agents get too. They would get a piece of the pie of their signings.

These two players, Duncan and Garnett, aren't going to take likely less than $12 million for a few seasons. Some team out there who isn't a contender might even offer Garnett $15/yr million for a few seasons anyways.

And no way in hell would Duncan or Garnett sign for a minimum contract no matter how much money they have made in the past or championships they can get. Remember, its their agents that want to cash in too.
Garnett going for double digits at this point of his career won't happen. he's way too old and his game isn't justified by that amount. he played well, but if you're going $12-15 mill, you're signing a player who can take over a game and that's not KG at all.

just a hunch, i think he may be had for $5-7 mill a year. i doubt he'd even take a ridiculous amount of cash, even from a non-contender.

for those who don't want him here, he's exactly what we need. Duncan is a good leader, but not a vocal one at all. we had no energy, no passion throughout the playoffs. KG's energy would've fueled this team tremendously. we needed someone to get on Parker, Green, and Bonner to show some passion out there instead of go into the fetal position when it matters.
Old 06-11-12, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

garnet and jackson together = perception of "we are invincible!!" to all the young guys...

i loved when duncan and garnet played together in Allstar games, but not shure if they are mobile/athletic/strong enough at 36 - 37 next year to box in the paint against younger contenders... maybe is needed to alternate one of them at the time example, duncan with diaw, and garnet with splitter (garnet is great passer, and developed lethal mid-ranger, i think that mix well with split style)...

Last edited by JuanCaca; 06-11-12 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Garnett going for double digits at this point of his career won't happen. he's way too old and his game isn't justified by that amount. he played well, but if you're going $12-15 mill, you're signing a player who can take over a game and that's not KG at all.

just a hunch, i think he may be had for $5-7 mill a year. i doubt he'd even take a ridiculous amount of cash, even from a non-contender.

for those who don't want him here, he's exactly what we need. Duncan is a good leader, but not a vocal one at all. we had no energy, no passion throughout the playoffs. KG's energy would've fueled this team tremendously. we needed someone to get on Parker, Green, and Bonner to show some passion out there instead of go into the fetal position when it matters.
No way would Garnett after a very productive season with a few more productive seasons to go get $5-$7 mil or the MLE exception. His agent and even him wouldn't allow that to happen because even he knows he could get double that amount for another season or two at $11-$14 mil a season.

Yeah, another team out there with a lot of cap room could sign Garnett for $15 mil a year for a season or two. Remember Ginobili is making $14.1 million next season.

I can see both Duncan and Garnett signing with their respective teams for $12-$13 mil each for the next two years and then retire.
Old 06-11-12, 04:23 PM

Quote:
No way would Garnett after a very productive season with a few more productive seasons to go get $5-$7 mil or the MLE exception. His agent and even him wouldn't allow that to happen because even he knows he could get double that amount for another season or two at $11-$14 mil a season.

Yeah, another team out there with a lot of cap room could sign Garnett for $15 mil a year for a season or two. Remember Ginobili is making $14.1 million next season.

I can see both Duncan and Garnett signing with their respective teams for $12-$13 mil each for the next two years and then retire.
the guy's going to be 37. 90% of his offense comes from jump shooting. you honestly think they'd pay a jump shooter that much? his regular season numbers were lower than that, so the guy turned it on for the playoffs.

you have to factor at this point of his career at 36-38 years old (if he gets a 2 year deal), is he going to play for a title or not? Boston will have around $38 million in salaries (i would be shocked if Brandon Bass didn't accept the $4 mill player option). if KG signs for that much, it'll be the same team, minus Ray Allen with around $10 million to spend (they only have around 5-6 guys on the roster with KG signing, so that'll eliminate any depth). that'll be a fan and organization's worst nightmare: an old overpaid team going no where.

as good as KG has been, he really has no loyalty to Boston. he got traded there because Minny was starting over and while he's a fan favorite there, the organization and the players know they have no title window after this year. the thing with us is we could have around $44 million in salaries (including Manu/Tony/Jackson/Leonard) IF we were to amnesty either Splitter or Bonner while having an option on Blair. that's significant for a few reasons:

1) that would open the door for Duncan to take around $10 million as you've said. he said he's a "Spur for life", so that can either mean he's done after this season OR he'd re-sign with the team for a low amount, lower than what you mentioned is a possibility
2) that would still leave room (depending on the salary cap numbers) for KG to sign around the MLE price
3) with Diaw doing horrible, it may also leave the door open for us to re-sign him cheaply.

this may be a long shot, but can also be a possibility:

4) because we may be letting Danny Green walk, that leaves the door open in the G/F spot for a James Anderson return to the rotation with no competition which may see the rotation as this if he were to return: Parker/Neal, Ginobili/Jackson, Leonard/Anderson or a combination of that. Anderson has no stock in free agency, a one year deal where he knows he'll get minutes would be the best situation for him on the cheap.
Old 06-11-12, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
the guy's going to be 37. 90% of his offense comes from jump shooting. you honestly think they'd pay a jump shooter that much? his regular season numbers were lower than that, so the guy turned it on for the playoffs.

you have to factor at this point of his career at 36-38 years old (if he gets a 2 year deal), is he going to play for a title or not? Boston will have around $38 million in salaries (i would be shocked if Brandon Bass didn't accept the $4 mill player option). if KG signs for that much, it'll be the same team, minus Ray Allen with around MLE money.

as good as KG has been, he really has no loyalty to Boston. he got traded there because Minny was starting over and while he's a fan favorite there, the organization and the players know they have no title window after this year. the thing with us is we could have around $44 million in salaries (including Manu/Tony/Jackson/Leonard) IF we were to amnesty either Splitter or Bonner while having an option on Blair. that's significant for 2 reasons:

1) that would open the door for Duncan to take around $10 million as you've said. he said he's a "Spur for life", so that can either mean he's done after this season OR he'd re-sign with the team for a low amount, lower than what you mentioned is a possibility
2) that would still leave room (depending on the salary cap numbers) for KG to sign around the MLE price
3) with Diaw doing horrible, it may also leave the door open for us to re-sign him cheaply.

this may be a long shot, but can also be a possibility:

4) because we may be letting Danny Green walk, that leaves the door open in the G/F spot for a James Anderson return to the rotation with no competition which may see the rotation as this if he were to return: Parker/Neal, Ginobili/Jackson, Leonard/Anderson or a combination of that.
Interesting points but no. Both Duncan and Garnett who have similar games and had very similar rebound and point numbers, along with games and minutes played, will not take less than $10 million in salary. Glad you realize that now. Garnett is still one of the best defenders in the league. Had a legit shot to have won Defensive Player even last year at his age. He can put up still 15.5 points and 8.6 rebounds a game in 31 minutes of play, very similar to Duncan last season. Not bad at all.

James Anderson? No thanks. He didn't work out. Let him walk and maybe he can do better with someone else.

Diaw played horrible? Not even close! He played very well at the end of the season and overal in the playoffs. Enough for us giving him the MLE or any team to give him that.

Bass for the Celtics will not pick up that option of $4.1 million. He can be paid better elsewhere getting the MLE from another team or being signed for a $6-$7 million a year deal with someone else.

I have figured out though the possibility of how we can get Garnett and still remain under the luxury tax but it would have to be both Duncan and Garnett signing for $11 million each next year. A big IF! More to come related to that later.

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-11-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Interesting points but no. Both Duncan and Garnett who have similar games and had very similar rebound and point numbers, along with games and minutes played, will not take less than $10 million in salary. Glad you realize that now. Garnett is still one of the best defenders in the league. Had a legit shot to have won Defensive Player even last year at his age. He can put up still 15.5 points and 8.6 rebounds a game in 31 minutes of play, very similar to Duncan last season. Not bad at all.

James Anderson? No thanks. He didn't work out. Let him walk and maybe he can do better with someone else.

Diaw played horrible? Not even close! He played very well at the end of the season and overal in the playoffs. Enough for us giving him the MLE or any team to give him that.

Bass for the Celtics will not pick up that option of $4.1 million. He can be paid better elsewhere getting the MLE from another team or being signed for a $6-$7 million a year deal with someone else.

I have figured out though the possibility of how we can get Garnett and still remain under the luxury tax but it would have to be both Duncan and Garnett signing for $11 million each next year. A big IF! More to come related to that later.
no no no i didn't say they wouldn't be taking $11-13 million or so, i said even by your scenario with Duncan signing for that much, it would leave the door for KG to sign if we were to use the amnesty clause (which is kind of ironic that Holt was pushing for it but hasn't used it).

his stats are similar to Duncan's, the difference with KG and Duncan is (as sad as it is as a Spurs fan), KG didn't wind down at the end of the playoffs like Duncan. by purely his name to the organization, Duncan is easily worth $15-20 mill still. as far as an overall player contribution from start to finish (yes i'll get heat for this), he'll be a defensive player in the paint and a jump shooting big who should be valued around $10 mill at the most (and i'm stretching the most).

the question you have to be asking right now isn't what are KG's numbers worth, it's is he going to play for a championship or not. if he is playing for a title, then that eliminates your Boston situation because he'd sign there for a lot of money and kill their cap space or sign with a non contender. if you say he's playing for a championship, then about every title contender next year (Heat, Lakers, Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Mavs maybe?) can't offer up more than MLE money, so it's either greed or title.

James Anderson was decent in the beginning with Manu starting and him/Leonard on the court at the same time. we were definitely going to use Leonard, so with Green contributing more Anderson was the expendable one. the only reason he was as bad as he was is because he couldn't get consistent minutes with Neal/Ford/Joseph using up guard minutes (especially during the Parker/Ford small backcourt lineup in the beginning) and also RJ playing a boatload of minutes at that time.

Diaw played horrible in the last few games of the Thunder series. that's enough to kill his stock, especially with being a bit on the chunky side.

Bass should easily pick up that option. all he does is jump shoot and only mid range at that. if Bonner's worth as a 3 point shooter with no defense is $3 million, Bass being a jump shooter with no defense won't be valued more than that.
Old 06-11-12, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
no no no i didn't say they wouldn't be taking $11-13 million or so, i said even by your scenario with Duncan signing for that much, it would leave the door for KG to sign if we were to use the amnesty clause (which is kind of ironic that Holt was pushing for it but hasn't used it).

his stats are similar to Duncan's, the difference with KG and Duncan is (as sad as it is as a Spurs fan), KG didn't wind down at the end of the playoffs like Duncan. by purely his name to the organization, Duncan is easily worth $15-20 mill still. as far as an overall player contribution from start to finish (yes i'll get heat for this), he'll be a defensive player in the paint and a jump shooting big who should be valued around $10 mill at the most (and i'm stretching the most).

the question you have to be asking right now isn't what are KG's numbers worth, it's is he going to play for a championship or not. if he is playing for a title, then that eliminates your Boston situation because he'd sign there for a lot of money and kill their cap space or sign with a non contender. if you say he's playing for a championship, then about every title contender next year (Heat, Lakers, Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Mavs maybe?) can't offer up more than MLE money, so it's either greed or title.

James Anderson was decent in the beginning with Manu starting and him/Leonard on the court at the same time. we were definitely going to use Leonard, so with Green contributing more Anderson was the expendable one. the only reason he was as bad as he was is because he couldn't get consistent minutes with Neal/Ford/Joseph using up guard minutes (especially during the Parker/Ford small backcourt lineup in the beginning) and also RJ playing a boatload of minutes at that time.

Diaw played horrible in the last few games of the Thunder series. that's enough to kill his stock, especially with being a bit on the chunky side.

Bass should easily pick up that option. all he does is jump shoot and only mid range at that. if Bonner's worth as a 3 point shooter with no defense is $3 million, Bass being a jump shooter with no defense won't be valued more than that.
Wait, you are confusing me. I could have sworn just a few posts up you said you had a hunch Garnett would take $5-$7 million and isn't even worth $13 million a year. LOL Both Duncan and Garnett who make the same now, are likely going to sign for roughly the same amount. Again, both Duncan and Garnett will not accept anything below $10 million and their agents won't even allow this to happen. You are forgetting to remember, their agents need to get paid too.

Diaw didn't play great, but wouldn't say horribly. Overal he did a nice job in the playoffs.

Bass is an outside shooter but is big and he can defend, and long and athletic who can rebound well and has intangibles. He isn't going to pick up the $4.1 million. For a player like that he can easily get an MLE with another team or a contract of $6 million or a bit more a year.

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-11-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 05:48 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
He is over 200 million by now.
Old 06-11-12, 05:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
No way in a million years would San Antonio ever consider getting Garnett. Well, we would have to give up Ginobili to do so. Don't think the fan base is going to like that. And Garnett and Duncan are similar players.

I think the Celtics will retain their big three. Giving Allen the Mid-Level Exception and signing Garnett for $14 mil for 2 years. They have easily enough money to do this.

They, just like the Spurs, don't need to break up their big three just yet.
I don't see Ray Allen coming back unless he took a huge pay cut.
Old 06-11-12, 06:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
He is over 200 million by now.
What diference does it make other than that being more reason to accept less money to win another title without being a bandwagoner by goin to MIA. And for all those saying his agent needs to get paid, hell get paid anyway. Its KGs decision how much he wants to demand to cement his legacy evern further. So don't speculate and throw random numbers around. Truth is in the minuscule likelihood that he even thinks about joining SA, if TD takes significantly less money than he's worth at this point in his career, it might entice KG to do the same.

- Confucius
Old 06-11-12, 06:11 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
What diference does it make other than that being more reason to accept less money to win another title without being a bandwagoner by goin to MIA. And for all those saying his agent needs to get paid, hell get paid anyway. Its KGs decision how much he wants to demand to cement his legacy evern further. So don't speculate and throw random numbers around. Truth is in the minuscule likelihood that he even thinks about joining SA, if TD takes significantly less money than he's worth at this point in his career, it might entice KG to do the same.
I'm thinking both will take pay cuts no matter where they go but they won't be taking huge pay cuts. How much they have made in their careers makes no difference IMO.
Old 06-11-12, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I'm thinking both will take pay cuts no matter where they go but they won't be taking huge pay cuts. How much they have made in their careers makes no difference IMO.
That is true. Lets just forget about that idea of Garnett coming here. It just sounds silly and stupid, especially when both Duncan and Garnett don't even care for each other. If they were friends, like close friends that Bosh, Wade and Lebron are, than maybe the Spurs and Celtics would work something out. But this idea is dead after a day thinking about it.

I would rather get Jason Thomspon and Hasaan Whiteside for a Splitter, Joseph sign and trade and get Thompson for 3 years at $18 million. 1st year-$5 mil, 2nd year-$6 mil and 3rd- $7 mil. Both are young, plays defense hard, and Whiteside would be a nice 3rd string center back up in case of anything or if we need major shot block abilities during the game, which he is one of the best in the nation of doing so.
Old 06-15-12, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Buck Harvey mentioned, Spurs will try htheir chance on Garnett.

And I'm pretty sure that money will not be the priority of Garnett this season. He is ambitious and he would want to try to fight another championship. There are few options:
Dallas and Lakers, there are big problems. He wouldn't go there. Miami is rival, I'm pretty sure that he won't go there too. Bulls is a puzzle in Rose'e injury. Thunder, I don't know. He can stay on Boston or come to San Antonio to compete.
Old 06-15-12, 02:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

thats a big negatory... kg can go burn in Laker land or anywhere else... dont come around here
Old 06-15-12, 08:48 AM

Anything to keep in mind here is that buck has inside connections with the Spurs and while he doesn't know exactly what they can or will do, one of his functions is to kind of massage the fan base to prepare them for moves down the line. In other words the Spurs don't even know what moves they will make one free agency begins but they have a list of guys they are interested in, and it helps if a guy like but is preparing the fans for a guy frankly most of us don't like.
Old 06-15-12, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

what if duncan (and garnet?) sign a 3 years deal for around 26 mill?
something like 2013:10, 2014:9, 2015:7? being the last year almost "a bonus" due their age.. pay less per year but adding a year allowing to buid a better team

they made something similar with the jefferson deal...
Old 06-15-12, 01:37 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Spurs to consider Garnett?

Two days after the San Antonio Spurs were eliminated from the Western Conference Finals, I wrote a piece about what areas the Spurs need to look for this summer in either free agency, the draft, or their international players for team improvement. The areas were another attacking guard and fourth big man who had a perimeter shot and could play defense alongside Tim Duncan.

Two nights after I wrote that piece, I wanted to look at the available free agents this summer, and the first power forward who I saw on the list was Kevin Garnett. My first reaction was, "that would never work. Duncan and Garnett don't get along and Garnett isn't leaving Boston."

But on Sunday, according to Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express News, the Spurs might be serious about making a run at Garnett to play alongside Duncan.
The Spurs will consider everything and everyone this summer when free agency begins. But one option tossed out this weekend by one in the Spurs organization is not just another name.
Kevin Garnett.
Garnett and Duncan are both facing some of the same offseason issues. Do they want to retire? Do they want to re-sign with their clubs or is it time to break up their "Big Three," or is it time to find a new destination?

The expectation from the Spurs and Manu Ginobili is that Duncan will re-sign with the Spurs. Garnett, however, isn't so sure about his future with the Celtics as they might be ready to move into rebuilding mode or at least break up their "Big Three" of he, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce.

Duncan and Garnett have been rivals since the days when Garnett was with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Duncan is most likely going to win the "greatest power forward" debate over Garnett based on amount of rings, but would both stars be ready to be to settle their differences on the court if they shared the floor together?
I think it's possible as Duncan is seeing as one of the most humble stars in the league and his been called a great teammate by almost anyone who has played with him. Garnett sometimes lets his emotions override himself, he's been a leader with Boston and has been coach-able under Doc Rivers.

Garnett would probably have to take less than he's looking for in salary or maybe he and Duncan could have a conversation about settling for similar salaries that would still allow the Spurs to make a few more moves. I think that if Duncan reached out to Garnett, along with head coach Gregg Popovich, Garnett might actually have to think about this offer.

I can just imagine a conversation Duncan would use to convince Garnett. "Hey Kevin, I know we've had our differences playing against each other in the past, but how about we push all that aside and team up for these last two years in our careers? It's great playing here. We run a system were we don't have to much offensively as big men except shoot 17-foot jumpers, which I know you're good at. I can still hold the paint down fairly well, but if you were by my side, I think it'd be really tough for anyone to get to the rim against our defense, especially Kevin Durant and LeBron James, who we each just lost to."

I know that's not reality, but the idea of both Garnett and Duncan teamming together is an intriguing one. The system the Spurs run is guard heavy and allows coach Popovich to manage Duncan's minutes while also taking all the pressure off of Duncan to score for the team. The Spurs are lacking a defensive big man who can also shoot a mid range jumper and Garnett has both of those skills in his arsenal. The Spurs could still possibly re-sign Boris Diaw if he took less money and could essentially have a premiere front line of Duncan, Garnett, Diaw, and Tiago Splitter.

I know all of this seems far-fetched right now, especially considering it will take a lot for any team to convince KG from leaving Boston, but if there's any type of chance that Duncan and Garnett could possibly play together in the near future, it will remain a possibility until either Garnett and Duncan sign an NBA contract or sign their retirement papers.
And let's not forget, KG isn't well liked by TD.
Old 06-15-12, 03:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

garnett blows. bark bigger than bite, and now even more true since he's old and sucks,.. unlike TD whos still bomb.
Old 06-15-12, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't think any of the CBA MLE restrictions have been implemented yet.

If I'm not wrong, the changes take effect after next year. It gave the owners a couple years to get their respective houses in order.