News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-12, 02:30 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Buck Harvey: Dollars for Diaw. A Spurs’ equation!!

Dollars for Diaw: A Spurs’ equation

LINK

Before the series with the Thunder, here is what one Spurs’ staffer thought was the best way to keep Boris Diaw:

Win.

Give Diaw both a ring and a sentimental reason to want to return.

After the series with the Thunder, here’s what another in the organization wonders:

Will anyone else want to commit big dollars to a guy who went scoreless in Game 6?

It’s the power of the last impression, and all of this will figure into the Spurs’ summer. While they know they will eventually reach agreements with Tim Duncan and Danny Green, Diaw is something else entirely.

Exactly how much is he worth on the open market?

These are the questions of every summer, since the art of basketball management is financially based. DeJuan Blair is an example.

The Spurs have been disappointed with him at times. He got emotional this season when he was demoted, and he gained some weight. As the Spurs like to say about players who aren’t in tune with their way of doing things, he wasn’t pulling the rope.

Blair seemed to recover late in the season, and staff found him working out at surprising hours in the practice facility. But the bottom-line incentive to bring him back is the salary cap’s bottom line. Blair is ?under contract for a little more than $1 million next?? season, and that’s the kind of value that eases other concerns.

What’s tougher to determine is how much to pay someone such as the veteran European player, Erazem Lorbek. Obtained in the Kawhi Leonard trade, Lorbek shoots nearly as well as Matt Bonner and does most other things better.

They like him. At 28, Lorbek is at an age where he should come to the NBA if he is ever going to. But money will determine what happens this summer, and, again, once they establish Duncan’s salary, this begins with Diaw.

From the day he arrived after a buy-out in Charlotte, Diaw was priceless. Diaw knows the game, and he’s clever enough to pass and big enough to defend the post.

He had a 12-rebound game against the Clippers, as well as a 16-point one. He banged with Blake Griffin while also becoming a snug fit between Duncan and Leonard.

Had the Spurs advanced to the Finals, then maybe another team would have wanted to steal a healthy 30-year-old with his kind of versatility. Anything beyond the mid-level exception will be out of reach of the Spurs, and, besides, a ring and sentiment only go so far in this business.

At his age, Diaw is facing what is likely his last chance to cash in.

But then came the Thunder series. As adaptable as Diaw is, he struggled to stay on the floor when Oklahoma City went small. He was hesitant to take the 3-point shot the Thunder were giving him, and when Diaw opted to drive instead, he was ineffective with either the shot or the pass.

He ended with five turnovers in the final two games — when he had only three in a stretch of seven consecutive games in the postseason.

Were other teams still thinking he was worth, say, a $35 million deal? What happened in Charlotte will leave doubt, too. And even those impressed with his stint with the Spurs might wonder if he was happier in San Antonio than he would be elsewhere.

There’s only one city where he can live with Tony Parker, after all.

The Spurs hope all of this is part of the equation. They thought Diaw was remarkable, especially since the stretch-four position is new to him. Diaw was 9 of 18 from behind the 3-point line this postseason, for example; in his previous 39 playoff games with other teams, he was only 4 of 29.

So how much better would Diaw be if Gregg Popovich gets him in November instead of March?

The Spurs hope they will be able to pay to see that.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-12, 10:55 AM
The Master Baiter

I was thinking the same thing. It's not such a bad thing that he played bad against OKC. That may have kept him affordable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-12, 01:09 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I hope we can bring Diaw back next year. He fits very well here. Def hope we can afford to bring him back.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-10-12, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Would he get the Mid-Level Exception for another team? Would he want to go to another team for that? Would he take a contract of $9 million for 2 years?
Old 06-10-12, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Diaw is the best big we have had next to Duncan since David Robinson.
Old 06-10-12, 07:31 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Diaw is the best big we have had next to Duncan since David Robinson.
Ehhhhhhh I still hesitate to consider him a legit BIG. I would say maybe Horry was more of a BIG than he was, but he was a specialty player and sub. He is a good backup IMO, very good at passing and can shoot the ball.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-11-12, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He can certainly replace Bonner..... I thought he was simply too unselfish at times. Instead of taking the wide open three he looked to try and create for someone else....

As long as we don't overpay (not sure what that number would be) he can fill some shoes..

One thing we have to remember is that OKC is just flat out good. It will be difficult to make any changes that can overcome what they did and will do in the future.... Time is about the only thing that will eventually end their run with the acception of injury or losing players to free agency...

What we needed in this series was, defense, Parker to hit the tree ball, and a better post presence out of Duncan. Manu, Jax, Leonard, all did about as well as you could expect, but they have great shot blockers AND GREAT perimeter defenders.... Think about it, KD, Westbrook, and Sefalosha are all excelent defenders on a level with Bowen IMO....

I was bothered with the fact that our defense has not returned to what it once was, and I think this is the sign that we need to get back to it.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 06-11-12, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Diaw is a keeper!
Old 06-11-12, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Too unselfish has been his calling card his whole career...
can pop make him a little more selfish
Old 06-11-12, 09:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I would like for them to keep Diaw and work on his 3 point shot this summer when he can but I want him to replace Bonner but in a more expanded role of course. They still need a long shot blocker with athletic ability as a starter IMO.
Old 06-14-12, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
Ehhhhhhh I still hesitate to consider him a legit BIG. I would say maybe Horry was more of a BIG than he was, but he was a specialty player and sub. He is a good backup IMO, very good at passing and can shoot the ball.
While he defended the Jazz and Clippers bigs with ease... I still can't shake this feeling either. We still need another big who PROTECTS the rim, and doesn't just play solid in-your-face D.
Old 06-14-12, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcell31 View Post
While he defended the Jazz and Clippers bigs with ease... I still can't shake this feeling either. We still need another big who PROTECTS the rim, and doesn't just play solid in-your-face D.
OKC beat us from the outside, not from the inside. Hence we don't need a true shot blocker back there.

Jazz and Clippers I believe too didn't peform all to well in points in the paint against us.
Old 06-14-12, 08:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

MLE for two years. Not one penny or one day longer.
Old 06-14-12, 10:11 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I really do wonder how they will handle this. I cannot remember the last time the Spurs offered anyone the full mid-level exception. They usually try to split it.

DL has been a tremendously overpaid player in recent years. It will be interesting to see what kind of attention he draws this off-season. I doubt anyone will offer him more than the mid-level exception, and I think it's possible he could even go for less than that based upon his weight and conditioning issues, plus the fact that it's unclear how well he'll be motivated to play if he's not with his buddy Tony.
Old 06-15-12, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I don't know...

Yes he played good at sometimes but that OKC taste is so bitter in my mouth I would not go crazy either way.../
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!