News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-12, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Trade Idea for 1st Round Pick of Drummond or Moultrie

An idea for a trade of Bonner, Splitter, and our 2014 first round pick for either Drummond or Moultrie. Thoughts?

We need a big young PF/C type.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-12, 06:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If any GM in the league took that deal for Drummond, they'd be instantly laughed out of the league. Our 2014 pick will still be in the 25 to 30 range, so you're basically taking Bonner and Splitter in exchange for dropping down 20+ spots in the draft (or, alternatively, you're downgrading from Drummond to Splitter in exchange for a second low-first round draft pick). No chance in hell any GM in the top 5 goes for that especially after Splitter made a fool of himself in the playoffs this year.

It'd still be a fleece if we could make the same deal for Moultrie, but there are some GMs in the upper-middle portion of the round that might be dumb enough to take it if he slides (Wolves at 18, most likely, or Rockets at 16 since they'll have already picked at 14). Still, doubtful. We'd be offering spare parts and a crappy draft pick for a solid draft pick. Maybe if the Warriors' pick was lower, it'd work.

I wouldn't want the deal for Moultrie anyway. It'll take him a couple years to develop into a solid rotation player, and we're in win-now mode. Splitter's up-side for next year by itself is higher than any rookie outside the Top 10 picks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-12, 06:48 PM

that'd also be around $7 mill for them so they'd have to be able to take in those contracts.

but naw, anyone who would bite on those 2 would not be in the lottery. only teams that may take those guys are the ones that are gonna be in the Finals and have roster space for the next year.
Old 06-08-12, 06:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
that'd also be around $7 mill for them so they'd have to be able to take in those contracts.

but naw, anyone who would bite on those 2 would not be in the lottery. only teams that may take those guys are the ones that are gonna be in the Finals and have roster space for the next year.
Ok then, how about a Splitter ($3.9) and a Blair ($1 mil) and our 2014 first round pick for Drummond or Moultrie?

Or could we get Jason Thompson for that kind of trade?

Looks like we are stuck with Bonner for the next year.
Old 06-08-12, 06:59 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosaspurs2150 View Post
Ok then, how about a Splitter ($3.9) and a Blair ($1 mil) and our 2014 first round pick for Drummond or Moultrie?

a 2014 pick does not have value for those guys sorry man.
Old 06-08-12, 07:00 PM

Quote:

if we're gonna trade for a Top 10 talent in the draft, we're gonna have to trade Parker most likely since he's the younger and more enticing of our Big 3. we're not gonna get a really good player in the draft trading guys that disappointed or aren't in our main rotation.
Old 06-08-12, 07:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
if we're gonna trade for a Top 10 talent in the draft, we're gonna have to trade Parker most likely since he's the younger and more enticing of our Big 3. we're not gonna get a really good player in the draft trading guys that disappointed or aren't in our main rotation.
Trade for Parker or a top 10 talent? Please! That would be dumb. It would even be dumb I think of trading Parker for Anthony Davis. Davis I don't even think is an immediate star in the NBA. Davis would be comparable and even in the future to a Serge Ibaka.

I think many teams and front office managers would take a trade of Blair and Splitter for either Drummond or Moultrie.

Thus, I think our Centers next season could be a Drummond/Moultrie with Bonner.

Power Forward would be Duncan and Diaw.

Now I do think after evaluation of salary, contracts and trade potential that Bonner will be a Spur next season.
Old 06-08-12, 07:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

After thinking about this more and reading about Moultrie and Drummond, I think it would be better off doing a sign and trade with the Kings for Jason Thompson. Thompson is still young and you know what you are getting from him. I doubt the Spurs can trade down for Drummond, but there lots of unknowns with him. The best shot of the Spurs doing is landing the draft pick between 10-15 with a Blair/Splitter trade. That means that could get Moultrie there, but in a way, I rather package Bonner/Splitter to the Kings for Jason Thompson. What do you think?
Old 06-08-12, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Trade for Parker or a top 10 talent? Please! That would be dumb. It would even be dumb I think of trading Parker for Anthony Davis. Davis I don't even think is an immediate star in the NBA. Davis would be comparable and even in the future to a Serge Ibaka.
What? He never said we should do that. He said that that's the only way to make your trade proposal work -- yes, it would be dumb, and that's why we're not trading for Drummond. The only trades that the other teams would accept would be dumb for us.
Old 06-08-12, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Right. I understand the would instead of the should for Parker and a top 10 pick. Just the idea and thought of that is silly. Even trading straight up for Anthony Davis for Tony Parker I believe is silly. I think Davis anyway is a Serge Ibaka player. I can see Davis being a 15 point, 12 rebound, 3.5 block type of player in the future though.

So a trade of Bonner/Splitter/Joseph to Kings for Jason Thompson and $2 million in return would be a dumb trade for us? I don't think so. I think it would benefit both teams nicely.
Old 06-08-12, 10:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Here is a serious thought. Our two main needs are a PF/C and a capable point guard to back up Parker.

So what do you think of this:

1) Trade Bonner/Splitter/Joseph to the Kings for Jason Thompson and $2 million in cash. Thompson would play Center and take Splitter's role

2) Use the $5.5 million mid-level exception and split it up. Sign both Green and Mills for $2.7 million each.

3) Sign Diaw for $4.5 million over 3 years. Diaw would take Bonner's role.
Old 06-08-12, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Here is a serious thought. Our two main needs are a PF/C and a capable point guard to back up Parker.

So what do you think of this:

1) Trade Bonner/Splitter/Joseph to the Kings for Jason Thompson and $2 million in cash. Thompson would play Center and take Splitter's role

2) Use the $5.5 million mid-level exception and split it up. Sign both Green and Mills for $2.7 million each.

3) Sign Diaw for $4.5 million over 3 years. Diaw would take Bonner's role.
i doubt the Kings will take Splitter because he won't play next to Chuck Hayes, Bonner...well maybe, but not really. we also don't know how much Thompson will command for a contract either (you might need to use Bonner/Jackson in your scenario to make it work, then they can amnesty one of them)

2) Mills is already signed for next year. after how Green played, we're better off offering that money to James Anderson since he played better when he got the chance.

Green no showed BADLY when we need anything out of him. he played worse than Hedo and RJ in the WCF, to the point he didn't play much (like RJ last year)

3) Diaw would probably want more than that. someone might give him the full MLE (i.e. the Celtics most likely or the Heat). hopefully Parker might work out something with him between them (like if he signs, Parker hooks him up with some off the court deal or something)

if we make any trades, it's either a huge one (with Parker) or it'll be a backup (like Neal) for a late 1st rounder or 2nd round pick. on free agents, no idea what we do until we hear rumors on who we might be interested in.
Old 06-08-12, 11:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
i doubt the Kings will take Splitter because he won't play next to Chuck Hayes, Bonner...well maybe, but not really. we also don't know how much Thompson will command for a contract either (you might need to use Bonner/Jackson in your scenario to make it work, then they can amnesty one of them)

2) Mill is already signed for next year. after how Green played, we're better off offering that money to James Anderson since he played better when he got the chance.

Green no showed BADLY when we need anything out of him. he played worse than Hedo and RJ in the WCF, to the point he didn't play much (like RJ last year)

3) Diaw would probably want more than that. someone might give him the full MLE (i.e. the Celtics most likely or the Heat)
I have watched a lot of Kings basketball. Hayes isn't all that. He is way undersized for a Center. Kings would gladly have a Center in Splitter and move Cousins to Power Forward. Kings wouldn't mind at all too a 6'10'' player in Bonner who can spread the floor and hit open threes when needed. They are missing that element. He would replace Donte Green for them. And I think they would take Joseph since they don't have a true point guard. He could be a back up to Isiah Thomas. I think Jason Thompson's value is about $6-$7 million a year. So a sign and trade like this could make perfect sense.

No, Mills is not signed. He will look at the free agent market. I think though we should give him $2.7 million which is a reasonable price for him. We should use the other half of the mid-level exception signing Green. And give Green a break. He did shoot 33% from the floor in the WCF and his defense was ok, but Pop panicked, and Green's confidence was shaken, and Pop really shortened the rotation to only 7 players after that. Give OKC credit, their defensive rotations to the ball on the corners and on players was really really good!

And yeah, I can see maybe a team signing Diaw for the MLE. But really, if we can offer him $4.7 million for 3 years, than what does 800k matter to him when he is with a team that he likes, is on a winning team, and he is with his best buddy Parker.

And no we are not trading Neal, Neal is only making about 900k next season. That is an absolute steal! We are keeping him.
Old 06-08-12, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I have watched a lot of Kings basketball. Hayes isn't all that. He is way undersized for a Center. Kings would gladly have a Center in Splitter and move Cousins to Power Forward. Kings wouldn't mind at all too a 6'10'' player in Bonner who can spread the floor and hit open threes when needed. They are missing that element. He would replace Donte Green for them. And I think they would take Joseph since they don't have a true point guard. He could be a back up to Isiah Thomas. I think Jason Thompson's value is about $6-$7 million a year. So a sign and trade like this could make perfect sense.

No, Mills is not signed. He will look at the free agent market. I think though we should give him $2.7 million which is a reasonable price for him. We should use the other half of the mid-level exception signing Green. And give Green a break. He did shoot 33% from the floor in the WCF and his defense was ok, but Pop panicked, and Green's confidence was shaken, and Pop really shortened the rotation to only 7 players after that. Give OKC credit, their defensive rotations to the ball on the corners and on players was really really good!

And yeah, I can see maybe a team signing Diaw for the MLE. But really, if we can offer him $4.7 million for 3 years, than what does 800k matter to him when he is with a team that he likes, is on a winning team, and he is with his best buddy Parker.

And no we are not trading Neal, Neal is only making about 900k next season. That is an absolute steal! We are keeping him.
the Kings have to play Chuck Hayes with how much they're paying him. no idea why they're paying him that much for a simple one dimensional role player (a little more than $5 mill a year for 3 more years on his contract, they're not going to sit him).

Patty Mills signs two-year deal w/ Spurs - NBA- NBC Sports Hoopshype has it as a player option, but he didn't do anything enough to earn a big payday. it wouldn't be a smart move (just like James Anderson didn't want to be a FA) to go into the market with no value like Mills has right now. Mills will most likely stay next year and if Pop doesn't play him, he'll ask for a trade just like Anderson.

per NBA.com: Green shot 26% FG in the WCF and 17% from 3FG, he didn't do decent and he couldn't guard Sefolosha as a spot up shooter, that's why Pop pulled him.

you wouldn't trade Neal for even a pick? a guy who can't dribble, who shot almost half court 3's when there was no pressure early in the shot clock, and can't defend Derrick Fisher at all? he may be cheap, but he didn't do anything for us and isn't a PG, which makes Manu become the primary focus scoring and distributing off the bench (and Gary was the reason we had no offensive flow when Manu started). if we're talking Neal as the 3rd PG off the bench in a last minute shot situation, i'd keep him. if we're talking Neal playing heavy minutes behind Parker, then we're better off getting someone who can play point behind Patty.
Old 06-08-12, 11:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
the Kings have to play Chuck Hayes with how much they're paying him. no idea why they're paying him that much for a simple one dimensional role player (a little more than $5 mill a year for 3 more years on his contract, they're not going to sit him).

Patty Mills signs two-year deal w/ Spurs - NBA- NBC Sports Hoopshype has it as a player option, but he didn't do anything enough to earn a big payday. it wouldn't be a smart move (just like James Anderson didn't want to be a FA) to go into the market with no value like Mills has right now. Mills will most likely stay next year and if Pop doesn't play him, he'll ask for a trade just like Anderson.

per NBA.com: Green shot 26% FG in the WCF and 17% from 3FG, he didn't do decent and he couldn't guard Sefolosha as a spot up shooter, that's why Pop pulled him.

you wouldn't trade Neal for even a pick? a guy who can't dribble, who shot almost half court 3's when there was no pressure early in the shot clock, and can't defend Derrick Fisher at all? he may be cheap, but he didn't do anything for us and isn't a PG, which makes Manu become the primary focus scoring and distributing off the bench (and Gary was the reason we had no offensive flow when Manu started). if we're talking Neal as the 3rd PG off the bench in a last minute shot situation, i'd keep him. if we're talking Neal playing heavy minutes behind Parker, then we're better off getting someone who can play point.
Some good rebuttals there. :applause I watched those Kings games, actually the Kings didn't play Hayes a lot. Maybe like 20 minutes a game. His rebounding was down and he didn't have a good season. He is way undersized as a center. Blair is much better than Hayes is and they are very similar in height and body size. So I can see them wanting a Splitter to fill the Center roll.

You are right about Green and his percentage. He did have a decent series against Utah, and a great series for the Clippers but Sefolosha is one of the best defenders at his position, and that match up was a no go for Green.

Neal for 900k next season is a steal. He can get shots off, a good outside shooter. You might be relating him to a Roger Mason Jr. He is better than him. No, I wouldn't gamble and trade him for someone else. Just don't let him bring up the ball. Either have Manu or hopefully Mills do that.

And Mills is going to opt out and explore free agent market I am sure. So we should offer him more money, $2.7 mil of half of the MLE.
Old 06-09-12, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Some good rebuttals there. :applause I watched those Kings games, actually the Kings didn't play Hayes a lot. Maybe like 20 minutes a game. His rebounding was down and he didn't have a good season. He is way undersized as a center. Blair is much better than Hayes is and they are very similar in height and body size. So I can see them wanting a Splitter to fill the Center roll.

You are right about Green and his percentage. He did have a decent series against Utah, and a great series for the Clippers but Sefolosha is one of the best defenders at his position, and that match up was a no go for Green.

Neal for 900k next season is a steal. He can get shots off, a good outside shooter. You might be relating him to a Roger Mason Jr. He is better than him. No, I wouldn't gamble and trade him for someone else. Just don't let him bring up the ball. Either have Manu or hopefully Mills do that.

And Mills is going to opt out and explore free agent market I am sure. So we should offer him more money, $2.7 mil of half of the MLE.
You're proposing giving $2.7M to mills who is an unproven commodity in the league when he has a player option of under $1M. I'm sorry I'd like to keep him but if that's the cost to retain him as a spur I'd rather not do it, but instead use that money toward bringing lorbek and De Colo

- Confucius
Old 06-09-12, 12:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't think Mills is unproven at all. He played very nicely in Portland and played very well given starting minutes the few games he was here. Very good speed, decent ball handler and passer, very good outside shooter and scorer. I think he would fit perfectly as the back up behind Parker and Mills is young too. Like 22-23 years old? So yeah, I wouldn't mind paying him $2.7 million for a few years, along with Danny Green. No way in hell I would use that money to bring he De Colo or Lorbek. Lorbek is a poor man's Splitter. You want another Euro big as a Spur? You want a poor man's Beno Udrich in De Colo over here too? No thanks! Our D-League players are better than them!

And Mills is going opt out of that $1 million option to sign with the team to explore the free agent market, which he will get more. I think if the Spurs tell him straight up, we will make you the back up to Parker for two seasons and give you about $5.5-$6 million for two seasons, he will take it.

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-09-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 03:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I don't think Mills is unproven at all. He played very nicely in Portland and played very well given starting minutes the few games he was here. Very good speed, decent ball handler and passer, very good outside shooter and scorer. I think he would fit perfectly as the back up behind Parker and Mills is young too. Like 22-23 years old? So yeah, I wouldn't mind paying him $2.7 million for a few years, along with Danny Green. No way in hell I would use that money to bring he De Colo or Lorbek. Lorbek is a poor man's Splitter. You want another Euro big as a Spur? You want a poor man's Beno Udrich in De Colo over here too? No thanks! Our D-League players are better than them!

And Mills is going opt out of that $1 million option to sign with the team to explore the free agent market, which he will get more. I think if the Spurs tell him straight up, we will make you the back up to Parker for two seasons and give you about $5.5-$6 million for two seasons, he will take it.
The D-League guys are NOT better than the Spurs' euro farm talent. There is no question.
Old 06-09-12, 03:21 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

2) Mills is already signed for next year. after how Green played, we're better off offering that money to James Anderson since he played better when he got the chance.

3) Diaw would probably want more than that. someone might give him the full MLE (i.e. the Celtics most likely or the Heat). hopefully Parker might work out something with him between them (like if he signs, Parker hooks him up with some off the court deal or something)

if we make any trades, it's either a huge one (with Parker) or it'll be a backup (like Neal) for a late 1st rounder or 2nd round pick. on free agents, no idea what we do until we hear rumors on who we might be interested in.
Mills will opt out. The second year was throw in for Mills to have some financial insurance like if he got injured or something. Remember Derek Anderson had a two year deal too. Mills will not play for one million bucks next year.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-09-12 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
The D-League guys are NOT better than the Spurs' euro farm talent. There is no question.
De Colo was what, a 58th pick? We have Julian Wright on our Austin Toros and he was a 13th pick from Kansas. Yeah, we have quite a few D-League players that are clearly better than Lorbek or De Colo.
Old 06-09-12, 03:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
De Colo was what, a 58th pick? We have Julian Wright on our Austin Toros and he was a 13th pick from Kansas. Yeah, we have quite a few D-League players that are clearly better than Lorbek or De Colo.
Manu and Scola were bottom second rounders. Marc Gasol was a bottom second rounder. I think you make good points but very closed minded on international talent. The reason Julian Wright and others play D-League is not because they were ever that good in the pros but trying to show teams they did in fact have game at some point in their lives. Once Julian's rookie deal was up..........what happened afterwards???? De Colo was 53rd by the way. Thanks for moving him down though lol.
Old 06-09-12, 03:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Manu and Scola were bottom second rounders. Marc Gasol was a bottom second rounder. I think you make good points but very closed minded on international talent. The reason Julian Wright and others play D-League is not because they were ever that good in the pros but trying to show teams they did in fact have game at some point in their lives. Once Julian's rookie deal was up..........what happened afterwards???? De Colo was 53rd by the way. Thanks for moving him down though lol.
True about Manu and Scola being bottom second rounders. But those players are a dime a dozen. Like 1 in a million chance.

I don't want to see De Colo or a soft big in Lorbek, who has been labeled soft. He is not even close to being as good as Splitter. De Colo, there are probably 3-4 of our Austin Toros players that are American born that could light him up. De Colo is Beno Udrih at best!

Julian Wright still has some serious talent. He was decent and not bad when he played in the pros. I wouldn't mind him being on the Spurs next season as our third string small forward. His salary would only be around $500-$700k
Old 06-09-12, 05:07 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
True about Manu and Scola being bottom second rounders. But those players are a dime a dozen. Like 1 in a million chance.

I don't want to see De Colo or a soft big in Lorbek, who has been labeled soft. He is not even close to being as good as Splitter. De Colo, there are probably 3-4 of our Austin Toros players that are American born that could light him up. De Colo is Beno Udrih at best!

Julian Wright still has some serious talent. He was decent and not bad when he played in the pros. I wouldn't mind him being on the Spurs next season as our third string small forward. His salary would only be around $500-$700k
How do we know if Lorbek is better or worse than Splitter if he doesn't come here? The spurs asked for his rights for a reason. They traded for his rights. De Colo's game has gone up leaps and bounds since drafted. Who cares about american born players besides yourself? Spurs love foreign players. I could care less where they came from. If it was a half North Korean and half Syrian player who cares! I'm not anti-american either. Toro players are minor leaguers not future NBA stars. You are saying a D-Leaguer has more upside than those guys? Please! As far as Wright goes......I asked what happened after his rookie deal expired? D-League bound! Not a good sign for a former lottery pick. Put him on the Spurs' summer league. If he rises above the crop than give him a minimum deal and have him compete for a spot in training camp. He deserves zero annoiting oil right now even as a 3rd stringer. My money is not on him because he is not a good shooter. I can only go by what I've already seen from him. He has to prove it in Las Vegas to even be considered in my book. You are jumping the gun on some of these things.
Old 06-09-12, 05:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
How do we know if Lorbek is better or worse than Splitter if he doesn't come here? The spurs asked for his rights for a reason. They traded for his rights. De Colo's game has gone up leaps and bounds since drafted. Who cares about american born players besides yourself? Spurs love foreign players. I could care less where they came from. If it was a half North Korean and half Syrian player who cares! I'm not anti-american either. Toro players are minor leaguers not future NBA stars. You are saying a D-Leaguer has more upside than those guys? Please! As far as Wright goes......I asked what happened after his rookie deal expired? D-League bound! Not a good sign for a former lottery pick. Put him on the Spurs' summer league. If he rises above the crop than give him a minimum deal and have him compete for a spot in training camp. He deserves zero annoiting oil right now even as a 3rd stringer. My money is not on him because he is not a good shooter. I can only go by what I've already seen from him. He has to prove it in Las Vegas to even be considered in my book. You are jumping the gun on some of these things.
Yeah, that is true, guess I am jumping the gun on a few things. And obviously the front office has seen a lot more of Lorbek and Colo's game than I ever have. I just think finding a good quality euro player is hard to come by. Most of them are soft or they are below average 2nd to 3rd string players.

There are only a handful of good Euro point guard players in the NBA I can think of, and only a handful of good Euro big players I can think of. I just feel American born talent is better because they have gone to college for 1-2 years, more athletic, more NBA type game in college than Euro league, and better coaching in general.

And I think with Wright, he just didn't get much of a shot. It might have been his attitude or something, but he actually did shoot well when he was playing. And he played very well with the Austin Toros last season. Yes, he would have to prove value in Las Vegas over the summer, but for a 3rd string SF backing up Leonard, and Jackson, I can see them paying him $500-$700k for the season.
Old 06-09-12, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Manu was in the 50's wasn't he?

the same Julian Wright that was a disaster with the Hornets a few years ago? that and yeah....D-League's own Danny Green who's manhood shrunk when we entered the WCF. it's better to look at the individual than to try to compare international athletes to the NBA developmental league in a whole.
Old 06-09-12, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Manu was in the 50's wasn't he?

the same Julian Wright that was a disaster with the Hornets a few years ago? that and yeah....D-League's own Danny Green who's manhood shrunk when we entered the WCF. it's better to look at the individual than to try to compare international athletes to the NBA developmental league in a whole.
58th I believe. Not sure what happened with Wright with the Hornets. Don't know if they didn't like his attitude or what not, but the kid has talent. Maybe he just feel out of favor and never got the opportunity. He is better than James White though

And yeah when you have one of the best defenders in all of the NBA guarding you in Sefolosha than lots of good players could get shut down by him and lose confidence in their shooting. He played him well and closed out well on him. Green had a pretty good series against the Jazz, and a really good series against the Clippers. We you are up against Sefolosha, yeah that is pretty damn tough!
Old 06-09-12, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
58th I believe. Not sure what happened with Wright with the Hornets. Don't know if they didn't like his attitude or what not, but the kid has talent. Maybe he just feel out of favor and never got the opportunity. He is better than James White though

And yeah when you have one of the best defenders in all of the NBA guarding you in Sefolosha than lots of good players could get shut down by him and lose confidence in their shooting. He played him well and closed out well on him. Green had a pretty good series against the Jazz, and a really good series against the Clippers. We you are up against Sefolosha, yeah that is pretty damn tough!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the series change when Sefalosha moved to guarding Parker? Sefalosha was on Green the first couple games, and then asked to stop Parker. Green shriveled up at that point. Or when the series moved to OKC.
Old 06-11-12, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

My sources tell me that Mills wants to stay in San Antonio and that WE CAN NOT give away our trash for solid players and/or better draft picks. Put the rose colored glasses on the floor ans smash them.
Old 06-11-12, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
My sources tell me that Mills wants to stay in San Antonio and that WE CAN NOT give away our trash for solid players and/or better draft picks. Put the rose colored glasses on the floor ans smash them.
we don't agree often, let's cherish this moment

i agree Mills will stay because he didn't play and raise his stock. James Anderson (if Green leaves) may be back also since he didn't do too bad in the playoffs and has to be applauded for staying in some rhythm with no playing time. the guy is a good/average/decent player, he's not horrible. it's just that Danny Green decided to tease us with a good regular season to diminish any chance Anderson had.
Old 06-11-12, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

i agree Mills will stay because he didn't play and raise his stock. James Anderson (if Green leaves) may be back also since he didn't do too bad in the playoffs and has to be applauded for staying in some rhythm with no playing time. the guy is a good/average/decent player, he's not horrible. it's just that Danny Green decided to tease us with a good regular season to diminish any chance Anderson had.
Yep, it depends on how much money Duncan wants. If we can get him at $12 mil next season, we could keep Green, but I think Duncan and his agent might want more. Perhaps $14-$15 mil which we would have to let Green go and not sign him, thus having James Anderson as our shooting guard.
Old 06-12-12, 10:17 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

I'd be shocked if Anderson came back. Yes he has potential but they turned down extending him. Also he had a suite in the Gregg Popovich Dog House Inn. Normally that is not a great sign for staying.
Old 06-12-12, 10:58 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Yep, it depends on how much money Duncan wants. If we can get him at $12 mil next season, we could keep Green, but I think Duncan and his agent might want more. Perhaps $14-$15 mil which we would have to let Green go and not sign him, thus having James Anderson as our shooting guard.
I can't see Tim demanding 14-15 million to resign with the team because he's smart enough to know that if he does and he gets it, then there's no way the team gets better and deep inside he wants another shot at his 5th ring.
Old 06-12-12, 12:37 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
My sources tell me that Mills wants to stay in San Antonio
Any insight from them as to what this means for Joseph?
Old 06-12-12, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I'd be shocked if Anderson came back. Yes he has potential but they turned down extending him. Also he had a suite in the Gregg Popovich Dog House Inn. Normally that is not a great sign for staying.
he wasn't going to get minutes behind Green though. knowing Pop as we've seen throughout the years, it may take Games 3-6 of the WCF to not trust Green again (if we do keep him). there was no point extending Anderson with how Green was playing. now that we know how Green is in the clutch, offering Anderson a spot with no competition may have him play well on a contract year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Any insight from them as to what this means for Joseph?
do you know the length he can stay in Austin? IF we keep Mills after this contract, Neal may be the one that's leaving.
Old 06-12-12, 03:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
he wasn't going to get minutes behind Green though. knowing Pop as we've seen throughout the years, it may take Games 3-6 of the WCF to not trust Green again (if we do keep him). there was no point extending Anderson with how Green was playing. now that we know how Green is in the clutch, offering Anderson a spot with no competition may have him play well on a contract year.

do you know the length he can stay in Austin? IF we keep Mills after this contract, Neal may be the one that's leaving.
I think you are looking at the extension rejection reason a little too hard. I think JA is gone period. His agent asked for a trade. I don't think James refuted that claim either. Just seems he couldn't catch a break. The Spurs had too many guards and short players. They have to trim the roster somewhere to add size and length. JA is a guy they will part with. Now if it came down to him and Byars. I would go JA. To me Byars has D-Leaguer for life written all over him. His skill set is weak. He would be good in street ball though. Horrible fundamentals. I was surprised a Spurs scout would recommend him to be honest.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-12-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 10:53 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
I believe he can play in the D-league this year and that's it.

Tough thing about it is that, unlike when we sent Ian to play overseas, we pay him to play in Austin and it counts toward our cap.

But the bigger issue arising out of that is he burns years on his rookie deal.

With Joseph if we don't play him this year, we'll have to decide on a contract extension with him having shown very limited time on the court.