News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-08-12, 05:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Andre drummond

Interesting that at the combine he mentioned the spurs as one of the teams that had a personal interview with him.

Could we be looking top move up and get him?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-12, 05:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

:shocked

Wow!

From the Draft Combine: Spurs show interest in Drummond | June
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-12, 06:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm sure we'd love to, but I can't foresee a scenario where we get him without giving up... well, probably just without giving up TP. I don't see any combination of three or fewer of our other players enticing someone in the top 5 to give up on the chance to grab Drummond.
Old 06-08-12, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
I'm sure we'd love to, but I can't foresee a scenario where we get him without giving up... well, probably just without giving up TP. I don't see any combination of three or fewer of our other players enticing someone in the top 5 to give up on the chance to grab Drummond.
i could envision a Thompson Sign & Trade with a draft pick if we offer up Parker with a Stephen Jackson (who's an expiring deal). just an example anyway.

remember Manu is an expiring deal and they haven't used their amnesty either. there's a lot of possibilities (i.e. we trade Manu and they amnesty him and we re-sign him, which i think we can do).

no one will take Bonner until next year, so any scenarios with him should be null
Old 06-08-12, 07:01 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
i could envision a Thompson Sign & Trade with a draft pick if we offer up Parker with a Stephen Jackson (who's an expiring deal). just an example anyway.

remember Manu is an expiring deal and they haven't used their amnesty either. there's a lot of possibilities (i.e. we trade Manu and they amnesty him and we re-sign him, which i think we can do).

no one will take Bonner until next year, so any scenarios with him should be null
'
Toronto would take him back plus maybe they can add Joseph????
Old 06-08-12, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
'
Toronto would take him back plus maybe they can add Joseph????
why don't you just throw in a Bonner reunion while you're at it?!
Old 06-08-12, 09:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

That's what I'm saying -- without trading Parker, these trades would never work, and trading Parker for any player in the draft would be dumb.
Old 06-09-12, 10:12 AM
The Master Baiter

Manu has value. Some people are in denial because they just don't want him traded. It would have to be Manu plus some other player or players to do it. I don't think you trade your youngest and best horse in Parker.
Old 06-09-12, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Manu has value. Some people are in denial because they just don't want him traded. It would have to be Manu plus some other player or players to do it. I don't think you trade your youngest and best horse in Parker.
I don't think many are going to take Manu's $14 million salary next season. No way! Manu only has 2 years left. Manu has no trade value now. Manu's contract is up after next season, and feel the Spurs should sign him one more year at $7-8 million and he could retire as a Spur. I think that will be the direction the Spurs will take.
Old 06-09-12, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
he has some value, but i think the point of it being of a fair trade for both sides to compete. if we trade Manu, they won't be giving us a good player in return with his age and contract. a Ginobili trade would be along the lines of "trading him to a contender and we're getting young and/or expiring deals back because we're not contending"
Old 06-09-12, 01:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
he has some value, but i think the point of it being of a fair trade for both sides to compete. if we trade Manu, they won't be giving us a good player in return with his age and contract. a Ginobili trade would be along the lines of "trading him to a contender and we're getting young and/or expiring deals back because we're not contending"
Manu is making $14 mil and then would have to get signed the next season by some team. Nobody is going to take a player making $14 million that is injury prone and then sign him the next season for $7-$8 million or trade him. I see Manu having one more year, then the Spurs pay him $7 mil for 1 more season, which he could retire afterwards if he chooses to do so.
Old 06-09-12, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Mani isn't going anywhere
Old 06-09-12, 03:16 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosaspurs2150 View Post
I don't think many are going to take Manu's $14 million salary next season. No way! Manu only has 2 years left. Manu has no trade value now. Manu's contract is up after next season, and feel the Spurs should sign him one more year at $7-8 million and he could retire as a Spur. I think that will be the direction the Spurs will take.
Manu has some trade value. All players do when it's their last year. He can still play too. So it's more than you think.
Old 06-09-12, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Manu has some trade value. All players do when it's their last year. He can still play too. So it's more than you think.
Manu I doubt will want to play for 2 more seasons. He does have some trade value, but $14 million for an injury prone player who is just about almost done with his career? Not many teams are going to trade or take the risk of picking up a $14 million contract for that.

The big three are staying. That is it.
Old 06-09-12, 04:52 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Manu I doubt will want to play for 2 more seasons. He does have some trade value, but $14 million for an injury prone player who is just about almost done with his career? Not many teams are going to trade or take the risk of picking up a $14 million contract for that.

Injury prone? Old? Not the same player? Doesn't matter. I'm not saying to move the guy but he has more value then what people think on here. The main reason though is last year of his deal. That will spark interest league wide.
Old 06-09-12, 05:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Injury prone? Old? Not the same player? Doesn't matter. I'm not saying to move the guy but he has more value then what people think on here. The main reason though is last year of his deal. That will spark interest league wide.
Ok, the only reason I think the Spurs could explore this idea is getting a top 12-15 NBA pick in the draft, along with getting another teams expiring contract as a player.

The only logical trade for Manu would be trading Manu to the Milwaukee Bucks for their 1st round 12th pick and Ekpe Udoh. Spurs would select Kendall Marshall at this spot if he is still on the board.

Would you make this trade? You think the Bucks would make this trade?

As much as I love Manu, my favorite player, and he could be valuable next season, I think I would make this trade.

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-09-12 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 05:16 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Ok, the only reason I think the Spurs could explore this idea is getting a top 12-15 NBA pick in the draft, along with getting another teams expiring contract as a player.

The only logical trade for Manu would be trading Manu to the Milwaukee Bucks for their 1st round 12th pick and Ekpe Udoh. Spurs would select Kendall Marshall at this spot if he is still on the board.

Would you make this trade? You think the Bucks would make this trade?

As much as I love Manu, my favorite player, and he could be valuable next season, I think I would make this trade.
To be honest I would want more. They got picks #15 and #42 and the rights to a premier euro center for George Hill last summer who is a RFA this summer. To me to consider anything it's got to be closer to the top. Hell the Nets traded their very high lottery pick for an older Gerald Wallace. Plus last year of his deal so the value is more for Manu. The Spurs should ask for the Sun and the Moon if it involves any of the Big 3. It's got to be a blockbuster for the Spurs to bite on it. TD is a lock to stay though. But the other two are not untouchable anymore.
Old 06-09-12, 06:04 PM

Quote:

there are a few teams that would pick up Manu's deal, not as many as some would pick up a younger longer deal like Parker's.

not many you're right, but the ones who would are contenders (Heat, OKC, even though the returning talent wouldn't be as nearly as attractive) or a team looking to clear cap space for next year (we'd be getting good players in return, but longer contracts). wasn't there a report about a GM saying anyone but Duncan with the Spurs were open for trade? thinking up on next year, Duncan returning isn't even a given, so this squad with a TD retirement and a trade with the other Big 2 is really looking like a reality right now.
Old 06-09-12, 09:19 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

First of all, I refuse to listen to anyone that proposes anything involving the big three that does not also involve bringing back a current All-Star.

Second, we do not have anything close to the assets needed to get that high up in the draft. This is just due diligence on the part of the Spurs. The only scenario I could see is if Drummonds slid into somewhere between death 15 and 20 slot and we might give up splitter in that scenario.

But the Spurs are constantly in this situation: assets that are too valuable to let go, combined with assets that are really not worth anything in trade.
Old 06-09-12, 10:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
there are a few teams that would pick up Manu's deal, not as many as some would pick up a younger longer deal like Parker's.

not many you're right, but the ones who would are contenders (Heat, OKC, even though the returning talent wouldn't be as nearly as attractive) or a team looking to clear cap space for next year (we'd be getting good players in return, but longer contracts). wasn't there a report about a GM saying anyone but Duncan with the Spurs were open for trade? thinking up on next year, Duncan returning isn't even a given, so this squad with a TD retirement and a trade with the other Big 2 is really looking like a reality right now.
Duncan likely will not retire. Will more than likely sign for 2 years at $12 mil. Parker is staying no doubt about that. And Ginobili is the real possiblity of his expiring contract and we actually played very well without him long stretches last season.

A team like the Bucks might want to get him. They would give up their draft pick, 12th, Udoh, and Dunleavy with possibly some cash in return. Can a trade like this work with NBA trade guidelines. I would actually make this trade knowing I would get Kendall Marshall. If we can't get Kendall Marshall at the 12th pick, than I wouldn't make the trade.
Old 06-10-12, 09:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Goodness gracious...

Listen to yourselves...Talking about trading Manu Ginobili who hasn't disappointed in the 10 years he's been here, and trading Tony Parker, arguably the best point guard in the NBA this past year.

Not to mention, they're our only true slashers. Get rid of one of them and we're hurting. I like the idea of moving up for Andre Drummond but, you don't give up these tried and true veterans for a project. Idiocy.

I can see Blair and another piece in a package for him but, not freaking Tony Parker or Ginobili...

Drummond IS indeed a project. Best case scenario, Andrew Bynum with a worst case scenario, Kwame Brown. Not worth the risk of losing parker or ginobili.
Old 06-10-12, 10:52 AM
The Master Baiter

Unless they bring in someone to make it a big 4, this team as we know it won't win a title. And the big 3 has become the big 1 and half. Manu and TD can't really create on their own anymore in the playoffs, and teams are putting all their effort in shutting Parker down. It's not like OKC is going anywhere. They are going to keep their core together. And other teams, like Chicago, Clippers, Miami, etc. will only get better and add pieces to get them to the next level.

I understand that trading anyone of consequence will probably never happen. For one, the fans would freak out, especially if Manu is traded. And two, the owners benefit from having playoff games even if they know they won't win a trophy with the team they have. As a fan for nearly 30 years, I would rather get the rebuilding process going rather than going through the "good but not good enough" stage.
Old 06-10-12, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yeah, the fans would freak out if Manu is traded. I just don't think he has much value for any other team to take on his $14 million contract next season or part with a few good quality players to get him. Manu has 2 years left I think and he will retire with Duncan.

Although the Spurs played just fine without Manu during the regular season so that is something to ponder. But we need that type of player come playoff time. So yeah, Manu 2 more years with the Spurs and we can resign him next year for $7 million for 1 more season with us and he can retire with Duncan.

If we are going to get Drummond, it would have to be a trade of the likes of Splitter and Blair for Drummond that would make it work. Although I don't even know I would take this big risk. I think we could do a Splitter, Blair and our 2nd round pick to the Bobcats for Thomas Robinson.
Old 06-10-12, 01:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
If we are going to get Drummond, it would have to be a trade of the likes of Splitter and Blair for Drummond that would make it work. Although I don't even know I would take this big risk.

Why in the hell would any team take two subpar backups for a sure-fire long-term starter and cornerstone? That's, once again, absolutely insane.
Old 06-10-12, 02:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Why in the hell would any team take two subpar backups for a sure-fire long-term starter and cornerstone? That's, once again, absolutely insane.
Robinson COULD be a sure fire long term starter and potential All-Star. There is just no way of knowing. I think though anything after Anthony Davis, there is a drop in talent.

You know what are getting with an adequate Center in Splitter and PF in Blair, which both could start for the Bobcats next season. You are giving up two quality players and a 2nd round draft pick for a potentially pretty good Power Forward in the league in Robinson.

If the Spurs are talking to Drummond, they have something up their sleeves. They could be looking at the 2nd or 3rd pick with a trade maybe?
Old 06-10-12, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The reason the Bobcats could do this trade is you look at their power forward and center positions.

At center they have:
-DeSagana Diop who got paid $6.9 mil and the Bobcats could use the qualifying offer for him at $7.3, which they will not do and will be gone next season.
BJ Mullens, an average player, 7'0''. Subpar offensive game and talent.

Power Forward:
- Tyrus Thomas who is getting paid $8 mil. I think the Bobcats are sick and tired of him and will use their amnesty clause if they can on him.
-Bismack Biyombo a great shot blocker but not much offensive talent at all and very raw.

That is why the Bobcats are looking to get Thomas Robinson with their 2nd pick. And they need a center since Diop will be gone too. So the needs for the Bobcats are a decent Center and a decent Power Forward.

But I think if the Bobcats get Splitter with Blair, they would be upgrading two positions instead of one. Splitter and Blair could both be their starting Center and Power Forward positions and could easily put up 12 points 8 rebounds each or greater if they are played 28 minutes a game for them next season.

Could Thomas Robinson do that for them? Thomas Robinson could maybe put up alone 12 points and 8 rebounds next season for them.

And salaries would match too with a 2nd pick and Splitter and Blair's salaries equaling out to about $5 mil

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-10-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I wasn't talking about Thomas. I was talking about Drummond. That's why I only quoted the part about Drummond.
Old 06-10-12, 02:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Thomas. I was talking about Drummond. That's why I only quoted the part about Drummond.
Ok, well if that is the case then, I wouldn't even trade Splitter and Blair for Drummond. Too much risk getting him. Drummond is raw and clearly could be overrated and a potential bust. Huge risk trading for him I think.

Robinson on the other hand has more talent and potential than Drummond and is much more NBA ready and much more immediate upside.
Old 06-10-12, 07:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Old 06-10-12, 09:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Ok, well if that is the case then, I wouldn't even trade Splitter and Blair for Drummond. Too much risk getting him. Drummond is raw and clearly could be overrated and a potential bust. Huge risk trading for him I think.

Robinson on the other hand has more talent and potential than Drummond and is much more NBA ready and much more immediate upside.
I thank my lucky stars you're not in the Spurs FO.
Old 06-10-12, 10:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I thank my lucky stars you're not in the Spurs FO.
Well you haven't proposed any possibilities now have you? All you do is be a devils advocate with no brainstorming or solutions. You got any better trade ideas/draft signings? LOL

With your comment about me there, you must like Drummond a lot? You don't think Robinson is better or not as big as a risk than Drummond? I said I wouldn't make the trade for Splitter, Blair for Drummond. You would make that trade? I have no clue what you think or any of your better supposed solutions/ideas.

NBA Draft 2012: Andre Drummond bust like Darko or boom like Dwight Howard? - NBA - Sporting News

You decide.

It appears the Spurs are talking to him for whatever reason.

A front office brainstorms ideas, many ideas (some dumb, some pipe dreaming, some more realistic), until they find the right match for both teams as a good front office should do.

I do have to say, with some of your comments/input, it was spot on, and made me think about a few more things clearly. So thanks

Last edited by gosaspurs2150; 06-10-12 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 12:03 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

If you look at past draft history there are always reports of guys the Spurs talked to at various positions in the draft. Sometimes it is a clear (in hindsight) smokescreen. It might be a guy they really like.

But look at history . . . Leonard, they never even talked to. Hill was off everyone's radar but the Spurs.

They don't go broadcasting their interest in guys they think are under valued.
Old 06-11-12, 12:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
If you look at past draft history there are always reports of guys the Spurs talked to at various positions in the draft. Sometimes it is a clear (in hindsight) smokescreen. It might be a guy they really like.

But look at history . . . Leonard, they never even talked to. Hill was off everyone's radar but the Spurs.

They don't go broadcasting their interest in guys they think are under valued.
Very true