News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-12, 01:49 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Buck Harvey-- 7 Years after Detroit, there is a way OUT for Spurs!

LINK

There have been years when the Spurs didn’t win a title but might have been the best team. Arguments can be made for 1995, 2004 and 2006.

But they also won one once when they might not have been the best. That was seven years ago, when they also lost a 2-0 lead in a series, when they faced a critical Game 5.

It’s not something for the Spurs to care about tonight. Figuring out Surging Serge Ibaka should demand more attention. Still, 2005 shows what is possible.

Such as?

Beating the younger, taller, more athletic Thunder.

There are other stories from the Spurs’ past that could also apply. The ghost of Derek Fisher might return for Game 5 tonight, since the living Derek Fisher will.

But the season after the 2004 loss to the Lakers told of something more tangible than .4 magic. Then, in the Finals against Detroit, the Spurs won the first two games at home.

Make no mistake, this isn’t 2005. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili were in their primes then, and Kevin Durant was a 16-year-old kid thinking it might be fun to shrug his right shoulder at the free-throw line.

Then there’s Robert Horry. If he’s walking through that door tonight, it’s with a smile on his face and a beer in his hand.

But there are similarities, because Gregg Popovich was yelling at a few people back then, too. After the Pistons came back to tie the series, they looked stronger, tougher and superior.

It’s an eyeball test that risks being fooled by the last thing you see. Still, the Thunder have the same look now.

Some of the Spurs were also shrinking in the bright lights in Detroit, and this is what happens under late-round playoff pressure. This should be a warning to Danny Green and Tiago Splitter: You don’t want to be remembered as this year’s Beno Udrih.

But all reputations are at risk in these moments, and Duncan’s was in 2005. The photo image of Game 4 in Detroit was Popovich sitting on the bench during the Spurs’ 31-point beating, a hand on one of Duncan’s knees, trying to bring him back to life.

Even in the Game 5 revival, Duncan missed free throws and a point-blank tip at the end of regulation. After the Spurs won, little wonder Duncan hugged Horry harder than anyone. Horry had saved him.

But not for long. Duncan barely touched the ball in the fourth quarter of the Game 6 loss in San Antonio. “Spurs’ big star now more like Tiny Tim,” a headline from a Chicago newspaper read then.

From the story: “It has been unsettling, if not spooky, to see an immovable rock of sport reduced to a soft, unassertive disappearing act.”

This should be a lesson to both those who give and hear the criticism today. Even soft, unassertive disappearing acts can, in the span of one game, reverse everything and become the MVP of the Finals.

Again, this isn’t 2005. The Spurs had to reverse the momentum of the Finals on the road in Detroit. What they face now should be emotionally easier.

But playing at home guarantees nothing but concessions sales, and Ginobili’s phrasing Saturday night tells of that. “We earned ourselves the possibility of having home-court advantage,” he said, “and hopefully we’ll use it.”

Before the Spurs went to Oklahoma City last week, they weren’t using the word “hopefully.”

But there were times in 2005 when the Spurs leaned on hope, too. And after they won Game 7, Popovich said, “I don’t know how we did it.”

This gets back to the belief that the better team always wins.

Sometimes it doesn’t.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-12, 08:56 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Gulp.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-12, 04:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If we lose tonight then we can start to worry, I have faith in MY TEAM.
Old 06-04-12, 05:25 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

I just laugh because in another thread, I mention Beno, and its like it wasn't his fault, just like a certain Non-performing redhead this year...
Anyway, the operative word is TEAM, and the Spurs team is better than the thunder... Book it.. Screw the cryptic tag at the end, that sometimes the better team doesn't win. Sometimes it doesn't, BUT NOT TONIGHT!!!!
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 06-04-12, 06:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I absolutely do not agree that Detroit might have been the better team. They could not even compete with us until they were allowed to play thug ball (starting in AMEX 3). Hmmmmm? Kind of reminds me of 2012 vs OKC.

If SA and OKC play real basketball, then the Spurs should win this series. If OKC is allowed to continue to mug Tony and Manu, then OKC has a definite advantage. And will probably advance.
Old 06-04-12, 11:18 PM

Well I hate to admit it but Harvey hit the nail here.

Quote:
Some of the Spurs were also shrinking in the bright lights in Detroit, and this is what happens under late-round playoff pressure. This should be a warning to Danny Green and Tiago Splitter: You don’t want to be remembered as this year’s Beno Udrih.

But all reputations are at risk in these moments, and Duncan’s was in 2005. The photo image of Game 4 in Detroit was Popovich sitting on the bench during the Spurs’ 31-point beating, a hand on one of Duncan’s knees, trying to bring him back to life.

Even in the Game 5 revival, Duncan missed free throws and a point-blank tip at the end of regulation. After the Spurs won, little wonder Duncan hugged Horry harder than anyone. Horry had saved him.

It looks like our regular season and first two rounds role players have disappeared. This puts a lot of pressure on the starters and the big three as the winning team now is using all of their weapons vs. the staring five. Plus Captin Jack who is doing all he can do. But it takes TEAM effort to close another team effort. We are missing some Spurs who never gone to OKC and never came back. Anyone saw any of those MIA role players?

***** I hear Crickets ****

Go Spurs Go!!!!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 06-05-12 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-05-12, 12:56 AM

Interestingly, guys from Boston AREN'T fading. That's weird. Figured guys like Neal, Diaw, and Green were up to the challenge.

Especially Tiago. I thought he would be a big factor instead of a non-factor.
Old 06-05-12, 01:05 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Interestingly, guys from Boston AREN'T fading. That's weird. Figured guys like Neal, Diaw, and Green were up to the challenge.

Especially Tiago. I thought he would be a big factor instead of a non-factor.
YEP they are all now dissapearing on us, those guys you mention plus our MVP all star, he is nowhere to be found.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-05-12, 01:14 AM

I just hope they lose their nerves and come balls out on Wednesday.
Old 06-05-12, 01:24 AM

It takes a lot of Guts to play tough in a PO.

It is not supposed to be easy! It is the freaking PO....

Those OKC Thunder players do not have more PO experience than our big three!

Kevin Durant is stepping it up a whole lot and bringing everyone with him. They have all role players playing good now. First two games we won at home they were not like that. Coach Scott B had made huge adjustments in ok and Pop could not re adjust to those adjustments yet......

I am extremely disappointed in Green and Neal. Nevertheless Tiago too. They all saw very limited minutes tonight. And all sucked!

Diaw played ok though considering he did not take many shots, but he hustled his arse off on offense and defense. The foul trouble killed him earlier. He did his job as a role starter. And he played 24 minutes only which is the least of the starters.

It takes a collective team effort to win here.

Coach Scott B move in ok that lead this okc back to this winning streak was huge!!! While Pop the COY is not getting our role players to respond to that challenge anymore.

Seems like it is all a mental block.

I am not giving up on our Spurs yet. Whatever it is. They all need to recover fast, dig very deep and find a way because we only have one more chance to bring it.

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-05-12, 01:45 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”

~Mary Anne Radmacher~
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~