News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-12, 10:08 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Thunder find ways to keep Bonner out of rhythm

OKLAHOMA CITY — Matt Bonner is no hockey player, but the Spurs forward has applied for Canadian citizenship, and that’s close enough.
He’s got a full playoff beard going, and three weeks into the Spurs’ playoff run, it has gotten pretty itchy. Plus, he swears small bits of food get stuck in his moustache.
“The moustache is growing in way bushier than I anticipated,” he said. “It will be 4 o’clock in the afternoon, and I can smell the breakfast taco I had for breakfast.”
Annoying facial hair isn’t what is really bothering him. It’s the difficulty he is having finding open looks from beyond the 3-point arc through the first three games of the Western Conference finals against the Thunder that is making him scowl.
After making 7 of 14 on 3-pointers through the first two rounds of the playoffs, Bonner has made only 1 of 7 against the Thunder. The eight-year veteran credits the Thunder for not leaving him alone beyond the arc and closing out hard on him when he does manage to find the space to shoot from long range....
Read the rest here: Spurs Nation

Everyone in the basketball universe knows that unless Bonner is left completely alone, and there's nothing riding on the shot, he's going to be pretty good...but the moment there's pressure of ANY sort, he falls apart and is useless
Old 06-02-12, 10:56 AM
Herman Cain of the board

The Thunder do not have to find ways to keep Bonner out of rhythm.....he does it on his own in the playoffs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-12, 11:05 AM
The Master Baiter

Here we go again with the blame game. Bonner has a role, it's to shoot when he's wide open. The Thunder have made sure he hasn't been wide open. What that means is that a defender has to run out to him to defend him, that means they respect his 3pt shot, that means the floor is spread out. What people need to ask themselves and be worried about is Manu and why he's sucked so much. Manu is supposed to the savior. Duncan has sucked for most of this series too. But no, it all rides on a role player.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-12, 11:26 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Here we go again with the blame game. Bonner has a role, it's to shoot when he's wide open. The Thunder have made sure he hasn't been wide open. What that means is that a defender has to run out to him to defend him, that means they respect his 3pt shot, that means the floor is spread out. What people need to ask themselves and be worried about is Manu and why he's sucked so much. Manu is supposed to the savior. Duncan has sucked for most of this series too. But no, it all rides on a role player.
The Spurs are up in the series right so I think Manu and TD are doing something out there to win 2 games in this series? Manu and Duncan have skins on the wall. Does Bonner? Oh wait, He is just a role player. Well so was Kerr and Horry. It doesn't all fall on Bonner but let's be real where are his skins on the wall?????? He has a ring from 07' from sitting on the bench or playing garbage minutes that playoff run. To me the more he is involved the worse it gets. Keep him on the bench. Spreading the floor is great but he has to hit his shots contested or not. If you always have to be wide open to make a decent number of shots in the playoffs.......that's really pathetic. Does Jackson have to be WIDE OPEN to hit a shot in the playoffs? Don't think so!
Old 06-02-12, 11:54 AM
The Master Baiter

Again, he has a role. His role is different from Jackson's. Horry DID have to be wide open to hit shots. So did Kerr. OKC is athletic enough to get out to Bonner.

And what the heck does "skins" have to do with this? People are blaming Bonner for this loss when two of the big three are sucking. Either way, Bonner s minutes have decreased dramatically anyway. And that's because Diaw has come on.
Old 06-02-12, 12:08 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Again, he has a role. His role is different from Jackson's. Horry DID have to be wide open to hit shots. So did Kerr. OKC is athletic enough to get out to Bonner.

And what the heck does "skins" have to do with this? People are blaming Bonner for this loss when two of the big three are sucking. Either way, Bonner s minutes have decreased dramatically anyway. And that's because Diaw has come on.
Of course Jackson has a different role but I was talking wide open shots in the playoffs. Horry/Kerr having to be wide open to hit in the playoffs??? Please........ Spur or even their non-Spur playoff performances on shooting they both excelled at it not shrink up more times than not. Am I right on that? I never blamed Bonner on the Game 3 loss alone maybe some did but that's silly. The whole team lost the game. One game. On the skins comment.......you know it's a lost arguement for yourself. And anyways you don't really answer questions point blank or not.
Old 06-02-12, 12:59 PM

Nobody on this thread has blamed Bonner for the loss in game three, but facts are facts, Matt Bonner is a regular season role player who doesn't step up and truly perform during the playoffs when the pressure is more intense. He can't generate his own shot, he's slow on defense and in general he doesn't seem to bring much value to the team during this time of year.

His career numbers show this, his 3-PT Percent is 0.329 during the playoffs vs 0.415 in the regular season, his FG % drops from 0.467 to 0.376 you have to be realistic, as the games get more important and the pressure increases he has a tendency to tighten up.

When Horry or Kerr would come in during close games I don't remember ever thinking oh please don't let them shoot, when it's Bonner at the 3-point line and he gets into that awkward looking shooting position of his, I think, please let there be someone in position to grab a rebound.
Old 06-02-12, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Again, he has a role. His role is different from Jackson's. Horry DID have to be wide open to hit shots. So did Kerr. OKC is athletic enough to get out to Bonner
well...kinda. Horry has hit shots where they were extremely contested (i.e. vs. Marcus Camby in 2007 in Denver where he had to arc it really high).

the difference with Bonner is simple: as much as Horry had to be wide open, he has to be REALLY wide open because his release is close to his head with no elevation. we've seen PG's block the guy trying to shoot. the problem he has is when he's open as Horry used to be, he still has to rush the shot because it could still be blocked. if the guy had a traditional release, he'd be hitting shots easy.

if you want to get Bonner open, you'll have to get Perkins/Nazr on him somehow. he won't be getting an inch to hit a good shot with their small lineup.
Old 06-02-12, 01:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I say it all the time! Bonner sucks, he's useless. I'm tired of everybody saying he plays a role. I guess he does, as a regular season scrub. He can't play ANY defense, and has to be WIDE open to make a 3. If we win the championship this year, it will be in spite of him. He sucks. He might be cool as a person, but I HATE him as a basketball player. God I wish the Spurs would get rid of him already.
Old 06-02-12, 01:33 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Nobody on this thread has blamed Bonner for the loss in game three, but facts are facts, Matt Bonner is a regular season role player who doesn't step up and truly perform during the playoffs when the pressure is more intense. He can't generate his own shot, he's slow on defense and in general he doesn't seem to bring much value to the team during this time of year.

His career numbers show this, his 3-PT Percent is 0.329 during the playoffs vs 0.415 in the regular season, his FG % drops from 0.467 to 0.376 you have to be realistic, as the games get more important and the pressure increases he has a tendency to tighten up.

When Horry or Kerr would come in during close games I don't remember ever thinking oh please don't let them shoot, when it's Bonner at the 3-point line and he gets into that awkward looking shooting position of his, I think, please let there be someone in position to grab a rebound.
AMEN!
Old 06-02-12, 03:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
The Thunder do not have to find ways to keep Bonner out of rhythm.....he does it on his own in the playoffs.

You beat me to it!! This is the truth.
Old 06-02-12, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Bonner NEVER plays well in the playoffs.

He shouldn't be blamed. He is Bonner and he is playing exactly to his abilities.
Old 06-02-12, 05:38 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dave View Post
Bonner NEVER plays well in the playoffs.

He shouldn't be blamed. He is Bonner and he is playing exactly to his abilities.
This is my point. It's stupid to keep piling on a role player, whose minutes have already been diminished, when they lose. Particularly when guys who are stars and supposed to be playing well, aren't playing well.

And I'm sorry for hurting Little Willie's feelings. He just needs to grow up a little.
Old 06-02-12, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

everybody's got to bring game and if they clsoe out hard on him he should be ready to either shoot calmly or find a man with a better shot.
Old 06-02-12, 07:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
First thing that comes to me when I read this... Duncan and Ginobili atleast play defense. If bonner isn't hitting his shot then he is worthless... Waste of floor time. He has gotten wide
open shots in these playoffs and bricked all but 1 that I can remember. Maybe tonight is his night... But I doubit it considering it's at OKC and a playoff game.
Old 06-02-12, 07:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Speaking of bonner. He comes in and thunder go on a run...
Old 06-02-12, 08:13 PM

Bonner has a role, that's to shoot 3's.

right now, he's putting the ball on the floor and he's not recovering to the 3 point line to be open if the ball swings. Bonner puts the ball down, passes to Duncan, Duncan misses, Bonner gets outrun by Perkins for a dunk.

there's no way to defend Bonner.
Old 06-02-12, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Someone please tell Pop that this is not the series for Bonner.
Old 06-02-12, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Though it may be too late. He did his damage already. Up by 7 in rhythm. He goes in. Immediate 8-0 run by OKC and loss of all momentum.
Old 06-02-12, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDunc21 View Post
Someone please tell Pop that this is not the series for Bonner.

There has never been a playoff series for Bonner.
Old 06-02-12, 10:32 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Who wrote that POS? Rest assure noone who has seen Bonner play in his entire career. He is worthless not matter if u let him shoot alone in the hlaftime break.
[email protected]
Old 06-03-12, 02:10 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dave View Post
There has never been a playoff series for Bonner.
Yep, I still don't get why some do not get this yet after how many years? I mean MY GOD what else do you need? When has he been on fire at all in a playoff series? SERIOUSLY he has never had a great playoff series in his career here, he just sucks.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-03-12, 07:43 AM

Games like this make me decide not to visit espn or any of the national sports sites, cuz there's no sense in getting more depressed....

But back to Bonner, let's be real, Bonner plays because he's 6'10", Pop likes him, he works hard in practice and during the regular season when it doesn't mean anything and against mediocre teams he can make uncontested 3 point shots.

He's not the only one missing those 3s though, Green has been horrible during this series, but him I cut some slack since it's his first important playoff series, but he also needs to pick it up. Tiago needs to stop thinking and just make his freakin free throws and he'd stay on the court more. But again with him, like Green they've never been in this situation before.

And you've got one guy (Blair) who has tormented the Thunder sitting on the bench getting no playing time, because for whatever reason Pop prefers to play Bonner. And yet when Blair played last night the Spurs had a plus 6 differential but when the mighty red played they were a negative 8 and THAT WAS IN 2 minutes...seriously, sit his butt on the bench and leave him there

Last edited by MichaelWi101; 06-03-12 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-03-12, 07:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
And you've got one guy (Blair) who has tormented the Thunder sitting on the bench getting no playing time, because for whatever reason Pop prefers to play Bonner. And yet when Blair played last night the Spurs had a plus 6 differential but when the mighty red played they were a negative 8 and THAT WAS IN 2 minutes...seriously, sit his butt on the bench and leave him there
YES. That's what I'm talking about!!
Old 06-03-12, 10:46 AM
The Master Baiter

News flash. He only played 2 minutes and they still lost. It's not Bonner. But at least I'm seeing a lot of people seeing the light on Green and Splitter. But more importantly, people need to realize that the big 3 is not performing the way they should be. TP is afraid to penetrate. Manu is a turnover machine and can't defend. Duncan had a quiet 21 points, but his defense is atrocious and he's having a lot of difficulty getting his points. Are these things that can be fixed? I'm not so sure.
Old 06-03-12, 11:11 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
This is my point. It's stupid to keep piling on a role player, whose minutes have already been diminished, when they lose. Particularly when guys who are stars and supposed to be playing well, aren't playing well.

And I'm sorry for hurting Little Willie's feelings. He just needs to grow up a little.
And you need to try to grow a pair.
Old 06-03-12, 11:15 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
News flash. He only played 2 minutes and they still lost. It's not Bonner. But at least I'm seeing a lot of people seeing the light on Green and Splitter. But more importantly, people need to realize that the big 3 is not performing the way they should be. TP is afraid to penetrate. Manu is a turnover machine and can't defend. Duncan had a quiet 21 points, but his defense is atrocious and he's having a lot of difficulty getting his points. Are these things that can be fixed? I'm not so sure.
NEWS FLASH!
BONNER STILL SUCKS IN THE PLAYOFFS!
NOBODY IS AGREEING WITH YOU ON HERE!
Old 06-03-12, 11:30 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

Just to add to your pathetic replies on this subject.

Bonner sucks since Brooklyn Dave put he NEVER plays well in the playoffs etc. and you replied to it with "This is my point". Brooklyn Dave was not helping your arguement FYI.
Old 06-03-12, 02:31 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Let's talk about Bonner's two minute stretch in game four..
subbed in with 3.5 mins left in 1st qtr. Score: Spurs 19-16
3:24 Chased off of a three point attempt at just above the right elbow three point line, Bonner takes a dribble and shoots just inside the right of the top of the key.... CLANK...
3:04 the next play, Bonner gives up an offensive rebound putback to perkins...
2:25 Bonner steps in to help on a durant drive and is helpless to watch his man, collison, receive a pass from durant for a dunk..

It was actually 1 minute and 35 seconds that Bonner was in, and the crack became a gaping hole that led to the Spurs getting hammered again in the second quarter..

Pop had seen enough.. Splitter in for bonner and the ginger is done for the night.. In his time in, the thunder was in the midst of a 10-0 run....
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 06-04-12, 12:49 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Actually I just re watched that first half and I saw why Bonner sucked so bad.

Spurs stared the first half with good momentum lead by TP however, okc thunder coach called a very crucial time out near the end of the first half to have them completely Trap TP and push the ball on the Spurs which they all did and then RusselW and Sofolosha got three each and then okc started clogging the lanes on TP. So the Spurs ball movement was struggling before we saw Bonner in.

Furthermore that was the TURNING POINT in that game IMO. Believe it or not. That momentum started there for the Thunder and Spurs never recovered since then.

Coach scott would have okc make huge run at the end of 1st Q to prepare for another GRANDE Q2. And thus Spurs never were able to get over that huge ditch they were in since Q2. Thus climbing up in Q3 and Q4 became real difficult.

When Pop decided to put Bonner in he was hopping Booner could shoot some threes or at least spread that floor.

I can understand how Pop is making his decisions on putting Bonner since Bonner has a reputation of being a very good three point shooter (Based on regular season stats only so far) and Pop thinks Bonner should get some respect!!!

Pop was trying to FOOL okc with a decoy dummy called Bonner on hopes if that worked he would help us spread the floor and open up clogged lanes, if not then maybe just maybe Bonner will come back to rhythm and shoot some threes. I wish that could have worked out, but it did not....

With all respect to Pop for those two huge wasted minutes I saw okc DUNKING and MAKING MASSIVE layup after layup after layup and Bonner was standing there watching them... It is freaking sad for crying out loud. If Bonner is never going to recover Pop should never use him unless in garbage minutes because okc is laughing at him as is now... Taking advantage of his dumbass Deer in a Headlight look and run. Sorry but that is the truth. Lord help us if we see Bonner on the floor for any single minute.I am praying so Pop sees the light from now on...

Go Spurs Go

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 06-04-12 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Sp?
Old 06-04-12, 08:55 AM

Year after year we read and hear about Spurs players working hard on expanding their games during the summer, working on improving this aspect or that, I don't ever recall hearing about Bonner doing that. Maybe he has, but if so it sure doesn't seem to be paying off, because he admits that he's only effective when he can get a wide open look.

Heck I could make a 3 point shot if nobody came close to me, he seems content to be a one trick pony and that pony has come up lame every playoff series.
Old 06-04-12, 08:57 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Ahh, the myth of Bonner as the reason for our playoff failure continues.
Old 06-04-12, 09:18 AM

Two sayings immediately leap to mind
There is no one so blind as he who refuses to see
He who refuses to learn from history is doomed to repeat it
Old 06-04-12, 09:20 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
The fact that Bonner is not the reason to the Spurs' playoff wins since he has been in San Antonio continues.
Old 06-04-12, 09:30 AM

Bonner's not out there to win. He's out there to not screw things up. Blair is a guy who changes games, for better or worse. He is active but makes a lot of mistakes. Pop's choice is to go with a guy who plays smart and solid but can't change the game unless he gets left open from outside. I don't mind arguing with Pop's decision, but I don't want to beat my head against the wall arguing against Bonner being who he is. He isn't intended to win games. He's intended to not prevent our big 3 from winning games.
Old 06-04-12, 09:45 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Just to add to your pathetic replies on this subject.

Bonner sucks since Brooklyn Dave put he NEVER plays well in the playoffs etc. and you replied to it with "This is my point". Brooklyn Dave was not helping your arguement FYI.
Hey smart guy, I've never said Bonner is awesome. Learn to comprehend words. I've said he is a role player and yet people act like he is the reason they lost. Even Joe Tango has fallen into that trap. Less than two minutes in the first half and that caused the loss?

Quit being the typical uneducated fan and learn some basketball.
Old 06-04-12, 09:55 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Hey smart guy, I've never said Bonner is awesome. Learn to comprehend words. I've said he is a role player and yet people act like he is the reason they lost. Even Joe Tango has fallen into that trap. Less than two minutes in the first half and that caused the loss?

Calling people idiots on here when not one person agrees with you except the other Bonner lover? You're such a smart b-ball fan? Please! Yeah you know so much about NBA basketball that everyone else is blasting you on here because ONLY YOU know what you're talking about Spurs or Bonner wise. I never said Bonner alone lost games 3 and 4. I said don't play him at all! Like I said before grow a pair dude.
Old 06-04-12, 10:27 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Calling people idiots on here when not one person agrees with you except the other Bonner lover? You're such a smart b-ball fan? Please! Yeah you know so much about NBA basketball that everyone else is blasting you on here because ONLY YOU know what you're talking about Spurs or Bonner wise. I never said Bonner alone lost games 3 and 4. I said don't play him at all! Like I said before grow a pair dude.
I'm not a Bonner lover. Just like I'm not a Manu hater. I'm a realist. I don't just make unreasonable statements.
Old 06-04-12, 10:52 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I'm not a Bonner lover. Just like I'm not a Manu hater. I'm a realist. I don't just make unreasonable statements.
Saying Bonner sucks is not unreasonable. Not directing these next few statements to you but just stating some things. Watch the games. Hear the games on radio or whatever. Read the stat sheets. He is not getting it done! That's being real. I'm being real. The proof is in the pudding. The guy can't hack it in the playoffs OVERALL. I'm saying bench Splitter or limit his minutes. Bench Bonner no minutes. I'm about winning the series. His stats were pathetic in the OKC wins. It's not the last game or the game before. This isn't all on Bonner. I just want him out of the equation at least this series at the very least.
Old 06-04-12, 11:49 AM

Bonner not hitting shots is a symptom, not a cause, of our offensive problems. He is not getting open shots and shooting poorly. He's just not open.

I don't want to completely bench him because he's still a good man to man defender. He won't get a ton of rebounds or block shots, but he will box out better than Blair and not make mistakes that lead to easy baskets.

Guys like Blair have a high risk/reward ratio. He can win or lose games by his play.

Bonner is a lunchpail guy who won't push the team over the top, but he won't screw up and keep the team from winning, either.
Old 06-04-12, 12:07 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Saying Bonner sucks is not unreasonable. Not directing these next few statements to you but just stating some things. Watch the games. Hear the games on radio or whatever. Read the stat sheets. He is not getting it done! That's being real. I'm being real. The proof is in the pudding. The guy can't hack it in the playoffs OVERALL. I'm saying bench Splitter or limit his minutes. Bench Bonner no minutes. I'm about winning the series. His stats were pathetic in the OKC wins. It's not the last game or the game before. This isn't all on Bonner. I just want him out of the equation at least this series at the very least.
Ok, I think we've got two different arguments. I'm not saying he's doing anything special out there. I'm ok with him getting little to no minutes in this series because he is just not effective against OKC. But to say he's made them lose (a lot of people have said that here) is not true. It's also not true that he just simply sucks. He has played well prior to this series, and believe it or not he's played well in previous playoffs, not every single year, but he's played well.

He gets minutes for a reason. It's not that Pop likes him, or he has dirt on Pop. It's his decent defense, it's his ability to shoot the 3 (whether he makes them or not), and it's overall knowledge of the system. That being said, Blair is a better fit in this series.
Old 06-04-12, 12:08 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

WOW three pages for Matt Freakin Bonner......smh....
Old 06-04-12, 12:27 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
WOW three pages for Matt Freakin Bonner......smh....
The great Bonner deserves at least 10 pages...
Old 06-04-12, 12:28 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:

Uwe, don't call me out. Especially if you intimate a comment like the one above. You know I am not an uneducated fan. Bonner, and I like Matty, is not doing the one thing he is supposed to do which is hit shots from the perimeter. All you have to do is take a look at his game and realize that if he puts it on the floor and stops outside the key to shoot a jumper then, he has already failed his prime directive. And the fact that he is not hitting a standstill three may have done little in the Spurs loss, but it certainly did not contribute at all to a Spurs win... I remind you of the Beno Udrih fiasco, 2005 NBA finals. He was in for two minutes, but those two minutes cost the Spurs to lose a game in the NBA finals, period.
I suspect Matty will get time in this critical game five, and if you look at my lineup I didn't omit Bonner entirely. Still, unless he can knock down his standstill three, he is better for the team to be glued to the bench. For all our sakes, I hope he can knock it down...
And as long as you want to point out you're the lone voice shouting at the wind, just realize that Charles Barkley said that Matty would be the key for the Spurs... Thus far, you both have made him right in that his non performing certainly have not helped in the Spurs losses....

Don't call me out, dude...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~
Old 06-04-12, 12:56 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tango from San Diego View Post
Uwe, don't call me out. Especially if you intimate a comment like the one above. You know I am not an uneducated fan. Bonner, and I like Matty, is not doing the one thing he is supposed to do which is hit shots from the perimeter. All you have to do is take a look at his game and realize that if he puts it on the floor and stops outside the key to shoot a jumper then, he has already failed his prime directive. And the fact that he is not hitting a standstill three may have done little in the Spurs loss, but it certainly did not contribute at all to a Spurs win... I remind you of the Beno Udrih fiasco, 2005 NBA finals. He was in for two minutes, but those two minutes cost the Spurs to lose a game in the NBA finals, period.
I suspect Matty will get time in this critical game five, and if you look at my lineup I didn't omit Bonner entirely. Still, unless he can knock down his standstill three, he is better for the team to be glued to the bench. For all our sakes, I hope he can knock it down...
And as long as you want to point out you're the lone voice shouting at the wind, just realize that Charles Barkley said that Matty would be the key for the Spurs... Thus far, you both have made him right in that his non performing certainly have not helped in the Spurs losses....

Don't call me out, dude...
I called you out, yes, but the "uneducated fan" comment was not meant for you. I was talking about how knowledgeable fans are getting caught up in the blame Bonner sweepstakes. And Beno played a lot more than 2 minutes in that series. If I remember correctly though, Brent Barry was also a scapegoat for fans in that series as the Spurs lost games 3 and 4.
Old 06-04-12, 01:00 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Ok, I think we've got two different arguments. I'm not saying he's doing anything special out there. I'm ok with him getting little to no minutes in this series because he is just not effective against OKC. But to say he's made them lose (a lot of people have said that here) is not true. It's also not true that he just simply sucks. He has played well prior to this series, and believe it or not he's played well in previous playoffs, not every single year, but he's played well.

He gets minutes for a reason. It's not that Pop likes him, or he has dirt on Pop. It's his decent defense, it's his ability to shoot the 3 (whether he makes them or not), and it's overall knowledge of the system. That being said, Blair is a better fit in this series.
Ok, I will say that your post is a decent representation of our sides of the story this time at least.........lol. Moving on, I want to clarify something. When I said he was pathetic in the OKC wins I meant games 1 and 2. That's an FYI for everyone not saying anything negative to you. Just thought it might confuse some people reading it. I think he hit 50% of his 3's the first two series. But if I recall only 1 for 7 in the Spurs' wins this series. From a stats standpoint he MIGHT have had a marginal to good stat sheet for ONE year in the playoffs. As we all know stats are not the whole story. Doing the little things and defense do not always show up in the record books. Overall to me and others he is a yearly playoff non-perfomer OVERALL again as I stated before. I want him to play well but I have little faith in him playoff wise. I would love to see him moved this summer. Toronto want him back??? I agree with you that this is not his series to play and maybe even to include Splitter as well. Yes need more minutes to Blair for this series.
Old 06-04-12, 02:06 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Not sure where people thought Brent was the scapegoat in that series. In game three, Barry was 4-5 for 10 points in that game. From the AP article,

The Spurs still held a 63-61 edge when Popovich rested point guard Tony Parker, who scored 21 points in that game. The Pistons turned up the pressure on rookie Beno Udrih and forged a 9-2 run to take the lead for good.

"We tried to give Tony Parker a rest for one minute and the dam burst from that point on," Popovich said.

Beno's box score: 7min No shot attempts, no ft attempts, 1 offensive and 1 defensive rebounds for a total of 2 rebs, 2 assists, 3 turnovers, Udrih went in with two minutes left in the third with the Spurs up by 2, 63-61, only to see the quarter end down 70-63.

Same Deal happened with Bonner... Just saying...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~
Old 06-04-12, 02:54 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tango from San Diego View Post
They still held a 63-61 edge when Popovich rested point guard Tony Parker, who scored 21 points.

The Pistons turned up the pressure on rookie Beno Udrih and forged a 9-2 run to take the lead for good.

"We tried to give Tony Parker a rest for one minute and the dam burst from that point on," Popovich said.

Beno's box score: 7min No shot attempts, no ft attempts, 1 offensive and 1 defensive rebounds for a total of 2 rebs, 2 assists, 3 turnovers, Udrih went in with two minutes left in the third with the Spurs down only 2, 65-63, only to see the quarter end down 70-63.
Same Deal happened with Bonner... Just saying...
That's fine. But those two minutes cost the whole game? Don't think so. A 5 point disadvantage at the end of the third is not an insurmountable lead. Come on. It's just using one person to shoulder the blame for the entire team not getting it done. In the 4th, the best players are usually playing, and they didn't get it done then, and they didn't get it done in games 3 and 4 of this series. Period.
Old 06-04-12, 03:15 PM

Prediction:

BONNER hits the game winning 3 with .4 left on the clock tonight!
Old 06-04-12, 03:56 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
That's fine. But those two minutes cost the whole game? Don't think so. A 5 point disadvantage at the end of the third is not an insurmountable lead. Come on. It's just using one person to shoulder the blame for the entire team not getting it done. In the 4th, the best players are usually playing, and they didn't get it done then, and they didn't get it done in games 3 and 4 of this series. Period.
The Spurs still held a 63-61 edge when Popovich rested point guard Tony Parker, who scored 21 points in that game. The Pistons turned up the pressure on rookie Beno Udrih and forged a 9-2 run to take the lead for good.

Dude, look at what Pop said that game. He said the dam burst..

What those two minutes with Bonner in during game four did was open up the floodgates that led to a 10-0 run, and a 12 point deficit at halftime... Sure they had a chance to come back and had it cut to one in the fourth, but come on, you can't tell me that Bonner's ineffectiveness did not cost the Spurs AT ALL... In fact, it was trying to overcome that big halftime lead that maybe expended more energy for the come back to fall short.
If Matty gave anything in the little time he was in, it may have been all that was needed for a 3-1 lead instead of a 2-2 tie... I agree that its not all Matty's fault, but for what his role is, he is the one who is failing more than anyone else...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~