News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-12, 05:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Report: Spurs told other GMs that everyone was available for trade, except Duncan

Peter Vecsey:

Spurs management called around the league to let the right people know that every player was touchable, exempting Tim Duncan. Owner Peter Holt, team president/coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford were committed to honor Duncan’s reign of scandal-drama-free excellence (four titles) over 14 seasons until he decided not to play for pay anymore. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, I must reemphasize, were available for the appropriate equity.

The idea was to get longer and younger, another meaning for less brittle. Ginobili’s wrist injury the final game of the regular season last year had as much impact on San Antonio’s malfunction as Memphis’ magnification. Luckily, the Spurs weren’t overly tempted by anything offered for Parker or Ginobili, who were in the midst of a fairly fruitful outbreak before the Thunder rudely ruined their team’s 20-game roll, 102-82.

More...

San Antonio Spurs made right choice not trading away Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, and the Boston Celtics made the correct choice in holding on to Rajon Rondo, Peter Vecsey says - NYPOST.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-12, 07:20 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

I can't believe you posted this garbage.... didn't you see who wrote it???

blah!!! Vecsey is nothing but a POS!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-12, 07:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The report appears in a major newspaper and if it is fails it must be removed/corrected or updated. Otherwise there will be lawsuits. I suspect the report has been vetted by the newspaper editors who deemed the sources, etc to be accurate and truthful.

In the end, the title of the report is very telling.
Old 06-02-12, 07:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know if I'd call the NY Post a major newspaper...maybe a popular tabloid. Vescey and the Post are a good fit, since his reporting has always been on the TMZ gossip rag level.
Old 06-02-12, 07:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sorry guys... The New York Post -- even as sensational as it is-- is the 8th largest newspaper (not tabloid) in the country.

Truth hurts, but it is easy to see how some in front office management would have considered blowing up last year's Spurs' particularly after the way they exited in Round one.

Until I see a denial from Buford or a call for a retraction of the story, Vecsey and his paper get my benefit of doubt.
Old 06-02-12, 08:10 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Vecsey has been wrong far more than he's been right, but more importantly, so what? This is a non story that's meant to be filler and every Spurs fan should be aware that in all likelihood there has always been only one untouchable player on this roster.

If the FO could have gotten a young stud star player or two for Manu, Manu would have been gone,same with Tony.

Don't forget this is a FO that hasn't hesitated to trade away fan favorites if it meant they thought the team would benefit. Remember George Hill?
Old 06-02-12, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Frankly, it was the right thing to do at the end of last season. Evidently it was also correct not to bite on any offers being made other than the Hill trade.

In Pop we trust.
Old 06-02-12, 11:30 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
The report appears in a major newspaper and if it is fails it must be removed/corrected or updated. Otherwise there will be lawsuits. I suspect the report has been vetted by the newspaper editors who deemed the sources, etc to be accurate and truthful.

In the end, the title of the report is very telling.
yeah I know but still Vesey? blah! x2

Old 06-02-12, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

For what it's worth, the NY Post is a tabloid:

New York Post - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vescey is also a journalist in the same way I am an NBA Power Forward but that's beside the point.
Old 06-02-12, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Let's look at this objectively.

The story is about activities of one year ago. Why wasn't it reported on prior to this week?

The obvious motivation is to attempt to cause distrust and stress among the hotest team in the NBA.
Old 06-02-12, 05:34 PM
The Master Baiter

Either way, I really miss seeing LaSpursFan's avatar around here.
Old 06-02-12, 06:16 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Either way, I really miss seeing LaSpursFan's avatar around here.
For once, I find absolutely nothing wrong with your statement :applause:applause
Old 06-02-12, 07:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Why would an ahole like Vecsey who has had run ins with Pop before release the at one of the Spurs greatests tests this season? To just try everything to disrupt the players performance!

Who knows how the conversationst went etc.... sensationalism at it worst!

Watch Parker and Manu take apart the Thunder for this.
Old 06-02-12, 08:57 PM
Dead Man Walking

Just because a player is available, it doesn't mean you trade them....

If someone offered a move to make the team better only an idiot GM would pass.
Old 06-03-12, 01:50 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Will the same offer be put out at the end of this season? That remains to be seen doesn't it?
Old 06-04-12, 09:08 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I don't doubt TP and Manu were available, question is, for who?

If I get a Derrick Rose for TP offer, I take it. If I get a Chris Paul for TP offer, I take it. Etc.

Why is this shocking?