News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-28-12, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Questions?

I don't follow the NBA draft as I do as the NFL and with that being said do we only have a 2nd rd pick this year? We gave our 1st rd to Indy right for Kwani(sp?) ? I know we are still in the playoff but what position is our biggest need going into next year and knowing that Tim will sign a cap friendly 2 or 3 yr deal? Thanks.

God Bless America and Our Troops Past and Present...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-12, 01:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

By the way I'm hoping that Tim can go another 2 yrs..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-12, 02:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs have all sorts of decisions to make.

Top priority will be re-signing Tim to a deal both sides can live with. TP, Manu, Splitter, Kawhi and SJax are all set.

Green, Diaw and Patty Mills can all walk.

If the Spurs want to get a first rounder, some combination of Joseph, Blair and Bonner would be the likely trade bait. Not sure that gets it done.
Old 05-28-12, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Our first rounder went to Golden State in exchange for SJax and getting rid of Jefferson, not to Indy. Not that it matters, either way we don't have one. Then again, it would've been the 29th pick, so it wasn't all that valuable anyway.

I don't see the Spurs trying to reload in the draft. We've got TP, Manu, SJax, Splitter, Bonner, Leonard, and Blair through next year (as well as Joseph and Mills). Priority #1 will be resigning TD, of course, but we all know that's going to happen.

IMO, priority #2 should be in keeping Diaw. Diaw, Green, and Neal are all off the books after this year, but Diaw is the only one I see as irreplaceable. Green and Neal are excellent for our system, but at the same time, they're also the latest in a long line of shooters that can plug into the system and succeed. If they demand too much money, we can find better valuable for their roles elsewhere. I'd love to see them stay, but we've got some flexibility there. Diaw, on the other hand, brings something to us that other players don't.

I'm no genius on how the salary cap works, but as far as I can tell, resigning Duncan and hopefully Diaw would put us at the salary cap limit for next season, so we'd have to go a bit cheaper on Neal or Green or their replacements. But, I could be wrong.

As much as I'd like to keep him around, I can see the team trying to move SJax after this season -- he's set to make $10 million next season, making him the team's 3rd- or 4th-highest paid player depending on what Timmy resigns for.

I could be totally off on my math here in places, though. The NBA salary cap's so much more than just adding up salaries that it's hard to keep track of.
Old 05-28-12, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

thanks guys..
Old 05-29-12, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm quite sure we have Neal for next yr already.
Old 05-29-12, 03:14 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

They will try to keep this team together for another run next year and that's probably time to seriously reload.

Green will be up for a raise this summer as will Diaw. Whether we go after any FA's depends on what happens with them.
Old 05-30-12, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

any chance at all we can get back into the first rd of the draft this year?
Old 05-30-12, 03:53 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

This year has been such a great ride, I don't think I would mind if the NBA ceased to exist if we win it all.
Old 05-30-12, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't think we need to get into the draft.

We have a lot of overseas talent:
Erzem Lorbek
Davis Bertans
Nando De Colo
Adam Hanga
Ryan Richards

I don't think any of these guys can be counted out yet.

Here is a list of guys we have rights to that I am counting out:
Robertas Jovtokas
Sergei Karaulov
Viktor Sanikidze
Old 05-30-12, 05:38 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Scary part of that, at least one of the over seas contingent and quite possibly two are Olympians, which would push the Spurs to seven and depending on how Leonard does and who else gets injured, perhaps eight.
Old 05-30-12, 05:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Neal is signed for next year.

If the Spurs want to pull a deal, Bonner, Blair and Joseph are all signed and seem replaceable if the Spurs sign Diaw and Patty Mills and bring over a big (Lorbek?) from Europe.
Old 05-31-12, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Lots of questions hopefully all will be answered amicably after the season
Old 05-31-12, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

anderson, blair, joseph, bonner in that order, are the ones that can be replaced... bonner like it or not, is good option in certain situations/lineups
Old 05-31-12, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I wouldn't mind turning overo ne or two payers at the bottom of the roster for more fresh blood..I dont know the cap situation either so not sure..haha and looks like according you guys most pieces from this year will or should stay in place..Well thanks for filling me in..Let's hope for another win tonight...Go Spurs Go
Old 05-31-12, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This year's draft class is fairly average anyway. I'm sure the Spurs will be ready to pull the trigger on a trade to move up if someone falls like Leonard did last year, but I doubt they'll make a move without knowing what players will be on the board.