News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-12, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

OK, Manu is amazing and everything BUT....

Hats off to the unsung hero: Gregg Popovich.

I remember in the second half of the 3rd quarter seeing Durant, Harden, Perkins (+ Collison and Fisher) against the entire Spurs second unit with 8 points down and thinking "wtf, please Pop, put at least one of the starters". Then it occurred to me: "is it possible that maybe he's letting the second unit hang up as much as possible to have the starters fresh for the 4th quarter?". If that was the plan, then I really hoped it would work. OKC was doing an incredible waste of energy and I doubted they could keep that rhythm for long. But the thing is (was) if Spurs would be able to get back from the deficit.

Then in the 4th quarter, Tony and TD with around 15-20 minutes of real rest cam fresh. And Pop puts the small line up. And Manu as PG.

I'm sure Brooks asked everybody what to do, and the best thing he could come with was to not play Ibaka, which was reasonable, but, IMHO, a mistake. Without Ibaka, everybody penetrated at will

The result?

Pop 1 - Brooks 0

That's why Pop is the best coach in the league!
Old 05-28-12, 03:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Is there any reason (or logic beyond this) why Ibaka did not play?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-12, 03:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm just guessing, of course, but I assume Brooks thought "OK, you want to play small ball? I can play small ball too!" and put a line-up of Westbrook-Fisher-Harden moving Durant to PF. It makes some sense, but then KD doesn't "feel" the PF position so he went back to his natural position a lot, and that also left OKC with a bad match-up between TP, Manu and Gary against Westbrook, Fisher and Harden.

I think Gary taking Westbrook in D was pretty smart, and IMHO, Manu, TP and Gary are a better offensive threat than their 3 guards. Maybe not comparing them one by one, but together, they have more cohesion.

Again, just my humble opinion, who knows what crossed Brook's head
Old 05-28-12, 08:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The one take away I hope Pop got from game one was not to take Fisher for granted. His defensive skills may be waning but he is a dangerous offensive weapon against the Spurs and he can't be ignored.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-12, 08:22 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Is there any reason (or logic beyond this) why Ibaka did not play?
During the regular season the Thunder's best +/- ratio against the Spurs was when they played Durant at the 4. That's the logical reason behind it I guess....obviously it didn't work out though
Old 05-28-12, 11:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Pop's a stud as far as coaching goes.
Old 05-28-12, 11:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's so cute, & smart too!
Old 05-28-12, 12:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
He's so cute, & smart too!
What ? Haha

- Confucius
Old 05-28-12, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
What ? Haha
i think like a baby trying to walk or a baby bear at the zoo
Old 05-28-12, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Old 05-28-12, 10:32 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Westbrook just said on the news that he made a coaching mistake, period.

Old 05-29-12, 09:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Hm wow Westbrook taking his coach down?