News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-12, 05:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Nowitzki on Pop: "To me he is the best coach in the league..."

Nowitzki's had his classic battles with the Spurs, including the amazing Game 7 in the 2006 semifinals that propelled Dallas to its first NBA Finals. It was a Spurs team that still included the Big Three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, yet, as Nowitzki pointed out, it is an entirely different style of ball those boys are playing these days and the reigning NBA Finals MVP says all credit goes to this season's Coach of the Year, Gregg Popovich. "To me, he's the best coach in the league, he's a genius on both ends of the floor," Nowitzki said. "The adjustment that he goes through, at the beginning they win all their championships with defense and he saw where the game's going; the game is going to free-flowing and more movement, you need basically four shooters on the floor at all times, and he's the man, he made it all happen.

... 'With (general manager) R.C. Buford helping him, finding people left and right. I mean, they draft people in the second round that nobody gives them a shot and they turn them into players. They have an amazing franchise and they really do a great job finding people that play well in their system and Pop makes them believe in their system. They're really fun to watch, they're rolling."

Dirk Nowitzki picks Spurs, praises Pop - Dallas Mavericks Blog - ESPN Dallas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-12, 07:54 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Hmmmm is Dirk lobbying to play in SA someday?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-12, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i didnt mind if he pulls a finley move
Old 05-23-12, 11:18 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Now that would be interesting...
Won´t happen, but I don´t mind
Old 05-23-12, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Ahhh, love the Dirk.

Everyone loves the Dirk.

Gotta love the Dirk!

$
Old 05-23-12, 01:53 PM

you know, as much as many would label this "Dirk is being classy" stuff, this isn't good for the team (just like Al Jefferson saying the Spurs were the better team). when Jefferson said that, he threw the team under the bus. when Dirk says this, he's throwing his coach under the bus.

i get he's showing respect, but when it comes down to playing the Spurs, Dirk is basically saying Carlisle is going to get outcoached.
Old 05-23-12, 01:57 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
Ahhh, love the Dirk.

Everyone loves the Dirk.

Gotta love the Dirk!

$
I've always liked Dirk. Now Mark Cuban and Jason Terry are a different story.
Old 05-23-12, 02:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
you know, as much as many would label this "Dirk is being classy" stuff, this isn't good for the team (just like Al Jefferson saying the Spurs were the better team). when Jefferson said that, he threw the team under the bus. when Dirk says this, he's throwing his coach under the bus.

i get he's showing respect, but when it comes down to playing the Spurs, Dirk is basically saying Carlisle is going to get outcoached.
I disagree, personally. I don't think every player has to believe that they have the best coach in the league. Anyone who's ever seen a basketball game would agree that Pop is a better coach than Carlisle. I'll bet Carlisle himself would say that Pop's a better coach than him. When you're talking about coaches as decorated as Popovich and Phil Jackson, saying they're the best isn't in any way an insult to your own coach -- your coach could be absolutely incredible. That's just how good Pop is.
Old 05-23-12, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MULLETINO View Post

Old 05-23-12, 03:12 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

I think what Big Al did was 200% wrong for sure because the series was still going on. Carlisle got a new contract recently and has a ring in his back pocket. So I think Dirk saying that really is not so terrible. I think he is just being honest. His coach is in the fold anyway. With certain coaches out of the league, I don't think there is any doubt who the best coach is right now. Phil and Pat Riley are great coaches but they always had some of the greatest players to ever pick up a basketball. Yes Pop has Duncan but that is only one great player. Those guys had an endless list of basketball icons and gods playing for them. Lionel Hollins beat Pop last year in the playoffs. I don't think he was out coached in the series. Yeah the Spurs were banged up but they had no Rudy Gay to face in the series either. It was the perfect storm for the Grizz or Spurs or whatever. So I think Dirk is not throwing his coach under the bus. My opinion. I will say that Rick Carlisle is not even the best basketball coach in the Dallas metro area. I think Larry Brown is better than him when it comes to straight up coaching. Don't get me wrong, I like Rick Carlisle as an NBA head coach.
Old 05-23-12, 05:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MULLETINO View Post
Dirk's ok...and I know three or four people in the metroplex who are great, everyone else (6.4M of 'em) can take long walk off a short pier.
Old 05-24-12, 01:09 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
*when Dirk says this, he's throwing his coach under the bus.

You could certainly take it that way... but...
Maybe he was just trying to be highly complimentary?

Either way.... We all know Pop is beeter than Carlisle, regardless. :-)
Old 05-24-12, 11:29 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
Ahhh, love the Dirk.

Everyone loves the Dirk.

Gotta love the Dirk!

$

No
Old 05-24-12, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

excercise bikes likes the Dirk too!!!!