News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-12, 05:26 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

D'Antoni afforded hope by dominance of the Spurs

D’Antoni declined interview requests for more than two months and even yesterday one of his friends said he still harbors “raw’’ feelings despite his taking-the-high-road SI interview. His friend said D’Antoni has been afforded renewed hope by the dominance of the Spurs — a pass-first club playing up-tempo and unselfishly.

Mike D’Antoni, former New York Knicks coach, on March 14 departure from team: “I had to resign” - NYPOST.com

“I absolutely resigned,’’ D’Antoni said in an online Q & A with Sports Illustrated’s Jack McCallum, who wrote a book on the former Knicks coach titled “Seven Seconds or Less.’’ “I was in my car driving to shootaround and it just came to me. That’s it. It’s inevitable. I have to resign. We’re not going anywhere and I made the decision then and there.’’
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-12, 08:50 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Wow he thinks we copied him? Maybe he was ahead of his time at Phoenix!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-12, 09:04 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well.. to be honest, D'Antoni used to work for the Spurs.. So many he copied us?
Old 05-23-12, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well when you look at it, the systems are very similar with 2 glaring differences. Defense, and an all time great in Timmy D. Other than that, a point guard who can create and penetrate surround by athletic swingmen who can shoot the 3. with d'antoni working for spurs its like we stole from ouselves.
Old 05-23-12, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

mmmh is like soccer coach saying averyone who align players in 4-4-2, or 5-4-1 mode, like him, is copyng his system... c'mon!

"point guard that can create and pnetrate surround by athletic swingmen who can shot the 3" defines almost 50% of good teams...

btw, I invented the pick and roll, and all the teams copy me!!
Old 05-23-12, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

And to think, it was only five years ago when the Spurs-Suns series was hailed as the ultimate contrast in styles.
Old 05-23-12, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Spur's motion weak offense isn't new or unique.

We just happen to run it better than probably anyone ever has.

$
Old 05-23-12, 01:51 PM

*sigh* of course no one can accept we essentially run the same offense as the Suns used to because they never won a title.

we're going with a motion offense (we don't run 7 Seconds or Less, but news flash: neither did Phoenix EXCEPT in practice if anyone read the book/saw the documentary).

the only difference (which is the GREATER difference) is while we're running a motion offense, we have a coach stressing defense with players capable of playing defense (Green/Leonard/Duncan/Diaw). that's the difference. the reason the Suns were dead horrid on defense is because, even when they tried to get defensive minded players, they never had an actual defensive scheme because D'Antoni can't coach it.

if the guy could have coached a lick of defense, the Suns would have been a way more dominant balanced team.
Old 05-23-12, 02:39 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
*sigh* of course no one can accept we essentially run the same offense as the Suns used to because they never won a title.

we're going with a motion offense (we don't run 7 Seconds or Less, but news flash: neither did Phoenix EXCEPT in practice if anyone read the book/saw the documentary).

the only difference (which is the GREATER difference) is while we're running a motion offense, we have a coach stressing defense with players capable of playing defense (Green/Leonard/Duncan/Diaw). that's the difference. the reason the Suns were dead horrid on defense is because, even when they tried to get defensive minded players, they never had an actual defensive scheme because D'Antoni can't coach it.

if the guy could have coached a lick of defense, the Suns would have been a way more dominant balanced team.
I guess this is your time to stuff it down their throats on the people on here who said you didn't know what you were talking about in what you posted earlier this year. I knew what you were saying back than and DID NOT diagree with your claim on the offense changing. We don't always agree but you know basketball just like I do. Just giving you some kudos even though you never really give me any.......lol
Old 05-23-12, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I guess this is your time to stuff it down their throats on the people on here who said you didn't know what you were talking about in what you posted earlier this year. I knew what you were saying back than and DID NOT diagree with your claim on the offense changing. We don't always agree but you know basketball just like I do. Just giving you some kudos even though you never really give me any.......lol

there Will, for you AND only 100 calories per bar!
Old 05-23-12, 02:48 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

there Will, for you AND only 100 calories per bar!
You serving some "crow" for the nimrods? lol
Old 05-23-12, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
You serving some "crow" for the nimrods? lol

they can put a little hot sauce on it for taste
Old 05-23-12, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
btw, I invented the pick and roll, and all the teams copy me!!

Sloan? Jerry?... is that you?
Old 05-23-12, 05:38 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 05-24-12, 01:34 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Jeff McDonald: Former Sun Boris Diaw, on difference between Spurs' offense and Mike D'Antoni's: "Popovich is still not asking guys to take crazy shots." Twitter
Old 05-24-12, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Jeff McDonald: Former Sun Boris Diaw, on difference between Spurs' offense and Mike D'Antoni's: "Popovich is still not asking guys to take crazy shots." Twitter
that's the coaching, not the scheme/mentality of looking to score once ball is inbounded. to be fair to the players, i haven't seen Pop "overcoach" the offense (i.e. he's more mellow like Phil Jackson nowadays when we get in ruts or just the offense in general, minus the whistling).

we've seen A LOT of "bad shots" from Manu and especially Neal this postseason. while D'Antoni would have loved those quick trigger 3's, Pop would not have told those guys to shoot them.
Old 05-24-12, 09:36 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
that's the coaching, not the scheme/mentality of looking to score once ball is inbounded. to be fair to the players, i haven't seen Pop "overcoach" the offense (i.e. he's more mellow like Phil Jackson nowadays when we get in ruts or just the offense in general, minus the whistling).

we've seen A LOT of "bad shots" from Manu and especially Neal this postseason. while D'Antoni would have loved those quick trigger 3's, Pop would not have told those guys to shoot them.
Ok, I got to interject here. If D'Antoni is asking guys to take the quick 3 in transition, that IS an offensive scheme/mentality and ALSO coaching. That is what they did. That's not what the Spurs do (with the exception of a few bad shots by Manu). I will give you credit, they are pretty similar though.

The amount of ego on this thread between you and WILLTHETHRILL is really astounding.
Old 05-24-12, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Ok, I got to interject here. If D'Antoni is asking guys to take the quick 3 in transition, that IS an offensive scheme/mentality and ALSO coaching. That is what they did. That's not what the Spurs do (with the exception of a few bad shots by Manu). I will give you credit, they are pretty similar though.

The amount of ego on this thread between you and WILLTHETHRILL is really astounding.
disagree. the offensive scheme and the mentality are different. our mentality that is similar to the Suns is to push the ball to hurry up the offense. that can be done even with a 4 Down, have Duncan already waiting in the post with Parker pushing the ball from the inbound to our side of the court.

the Spurs do push the ball, the Suns did push the ball. the Spurs hurry up the offense, the Suns hurried up the offense. if you watched the Suns games, you'd see "bad shots" as guys who were hurrying up the offense and taking shots in spots that aren't theirs (like Grant Hill 3's, Shawn Marion transition 3's, etc.) while our guys can shoot the 3 from every side of the line.

it also helps to keep in mind that Diaw fell out of grace with the Suns coaching staff after the 2006 season because he came in out of shape, lost his starting spot to Amare, and didn't play like he did the year before because D'Antoni wanted to make him a SF with Marion as the PF and that rubbed Diaw the wrong way.
Old 05-24-12, 06:55 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
disagree. the offensive scheme and the mentality are different. our mentality that is similar to the Suns is to push the ball to hurry up the offense. that can be done even with a 4 Down, have Duncan already waiting in the post with Parker pushing the ball from the inbound to our side of the court.

the Spurs do push the ball, the Suns did push the ball. the Spurs hurry up the offense, the Suns hurried up the offense. if you watched the Suns games, you'd see "bad shots" as guys who were hurrying up the offense and taking shots in spots that aren't theirs (like Grant Hill 3's, Shawn Marion transition 3's, etc.) while our guys can shoot the 3 from every side of the line.

it also helps to keep in mind that Diaw fell out of grace with the Suns coaching staff after the 2006 season because he came in out of shape, lost his starting spot to Amare, and didn't play like he did the year before because D'Antoni wanted to make him a SF with Marion as the PF and that rubbed Diaw the wrong way.
So what's your argument? If the supposed "inventor" of the Suns offense is telling his players to shoot when your open no matter what even in transition, that's the "inventor"s scheme and the mentality of "shoot first, ask questions later". The Spurs are more methodical than that. They really DON'T shoot a lot of transition 3's, although Neal has been known to do it from time to time.
Old 05-24-12, 10:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't care if he takes credit for the idea or notion of this approach.

But he still sucks balls as a head coach, couldn't get it done with his teams... Our stars are old, too.
Old 05-24-12, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
So what's your argument? If the supposed "inventor" of the Suns offense is telling his players to shoot when your open no matter what even in transition, that's the "inventor"s scheme and the mentality of "shoot first, ask questions later". The Spurs are more methodical than that. They really DON'T shoot a lot of transition 3's, although Neal has been known to do it from time to time.
when you play vs. the Suns (4 out of 5 three point shooters at all times), you have to gamble and they've had wide open transition 3's during their heyday.

there's a difference between teaching a play (4 Down, Pick and Roll, etc.) and then teaching them how to play it (when to shoot, where to stand, etc). some want the cutter to immediately cut, others want the ball handler to delay the drive so the shooter who set the screen can get set, others want the mismatch with the PG/C to be exposed at the top of the key to see how the D reacts.

so yes, there's a difference between coaching a play and teaching a play. Pop is using the same offense, but coaching the mentality in a different way. you sure do know a lot about Phoenix Suns basketball Uwe, especially when you were completely wrong about Diaw's defense. yeah i'll keep holding to that.