News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

View Poll Results: Would the Spurs be able to win a very physical series?
Yes 27 90.00%
No 1 3.33%
Maybe 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-12, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Would Spurs win a physical series (like the one in Miami)?

As I watch the injuries, bruises and flagrant fouls mount up in the Indiana versus Miami series, I am left to wonder whether the Spurs would be able to survive a very physical series like this one?

Should the Spurs and Heat advance to the Finals, it may not be out of the realm of possibilities that the South Beach Thugs could go at our boys like this.

What say you?

Here is Dexter Pittman BRUTAL Flagrant Foul Elbow on Lance Stephenson

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-12, 05:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yes. I think spurs are just that much better of a TEAM than Lebron and Wade.. Or you can call them Miami. Whatever.
Old 05-23-12, 06:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Spurs have not reacted well to physical play in the recent future (see Memphis last year) but as long as the outside shot is falling they are okay. The moment that stops and our players are taken out of their comfort zone there could be problems.

I would say that players like Kwahi Leonard, Manu Ginobili and Gary Neal react well to physicality-- particularly since two of the three played in Europe" but I've seen others have a hard time with it. Tiago tries, but he is often pushed around and doesn't have the physical strength to battle some of the bigger, stronger players.

If we have one Achilles heel, this might very well be it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-12, 07:33 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I can't beleive we're having this discussion.
Yes the Spurs would win. Don't care how physical it get's. If it's physical than IMO it favors the Spurs. The Spurs don't get rattled or off thier game plan. Having the Heat get physical will only lead them to losing thier composure.
Old 05-23-12, 07:40 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Spurs would figure a way to minimize this thrash and finnesse them out of it a big win if the other team resorts to this crap! Pittman needs to be suspended for the rest of the playoffs!
Old 05-23-12, 08:21 AM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

That's why we have Stephen Jackson and Dujuan Blair
Old 05-23-12, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sorry guys. I don't agree. I think the Spurs get rattled when elbows start flying.

Look at the way Memphis muscled everyone out last year. You think Boris Diaw is going to help that?

I voted MAYBE!
Old 05-23-12, 09:07 AM
The Master Baiter

The only reason the Miami/Indiana series is that physical is because the youngsters in Indiana are talking trash, getting up in people's faces at the drop of a dime, etc. The Spurs would never do that, nor react the way Miami has. We can reference the Memphis series, but that series was very close, and the only reason SA lost was because they didn't have a reliable (or healthy) closer. The Spurs can handle the physicality. They choose not to make it a physical game.
Old 05-23-12, 10:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Where are Mario Ellie and Robert Horry when you need 'em? Oh wait.. We have Boris Diaw now. :shocked
Old 05-23-12, 10:28 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

well, if they start with elbows and dirty play, i say
send anderson to break a couple of dwane wade ribs... just to make a statement...

sorry, but when i was competing (taekwondo) was the same mantra, fight hard and be clean; if opponent start dirty things, kick as hard as you can in gluteous area, just in sciatic nerve... and then continue your job..
Old 05-23-12, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Kill them with kindness! The heat have responded pretty well so far with the hard fouls and trash talking from Indiana. it seems like it put some fire in them over the last 2 games.
Old 05-23-12, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Is it possible for another team to out-hustle the Spurs?

Yes.

The Spurs are especially vulnerable on the opponent's offensive glass.

The thing about these Spurs is that the execution is so good now, that simply trying harder doesn't really make up much ground. Every team is physical, but not every team is precise.

$
Old 05-23-12, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
The Spurs have not reacted well to physical play in the recent future (see Memphis last year) but as long as the outside shot is falling they are okay. The moment that stops and our players are taken out of their comfort zone there could be problems.

I would say that players like Kwahi Leonard, Manu Ginobili and Gary Neal react well to physicality-- particularly since two of the three played in Europe" but I've seen others have a hard time with it. Tiago tries, but he is often pushed around and doesn't have the physical strength to battle some of the bigger, stronger players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
Is it possible for another team to out-hustle the Spurs?

Yes.

The Spurs are especially vulnerable on the opponent's offensive glass.

The thing about these Spurs is that the execution is so good now, that simply trying harder doesn't really make up much ground. Every team is physical, but not every team is precise.

$
I completely disagree. We will relish a physical matchup. We are not the same team as last years squad. I especially disagree with the idea that Tiago get's pushed around. Don't confuse Tiago's soft offensive game with his defensive game. He gets under the skin of whomever he is guarding in a big way. He plays great physical defense IMHO.

The reason the Spurs can beat anyone in a physical game is 1. Depth, and 2. How we respond to the refs. I think we modify our game to how the refs are calling it better than any team in the league. . . . even when the calls aren't going our way.

And by the way, the clippers and Utah are both very physical teams..
Old 05-23-12, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys. I don't agree. I think the Spurs get rattled when elbows start flying.

Look at the way Memphis muscled everyone out last year. You think Boris Diaw is going to help that?

I voted MAYBE!
we would, Kawhi isn't a pushover by any means. there's no way in comparing this team to last year's. once we got Jackson in the trade, our whole attitude changed.
Old 05-23-12, 03:44 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I would normally say that would be bad without a Bowen or Kevin Willis to mix it up with but with the proven championship pedigree they have and getting SJax back......I would say no. That's why I wanted a thug on this team. To get that no fear mental edge cemented into their brains. Also I liked how Kawhi stood up to Caron Butler. He sent a message by doing that. He might be mello and low key but not a push over!
Old 05-23-12, 06:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Another way to beat a physical team is quickness. If you are not there they can not slow you down. This years team is the most diverse group since I became a Spur fan (1999.
Old 05-23-12, 08:18 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Not sure where the physical thing with Memphis comes from. They appeared to be more length, athleticism, and mobility. My question is, "who is left that would want to try to out muscle the Spurs. This would play right into Blair's major strength. Diaw is not exactly frail, yet agile and can shoot and has quickness, if not speed. S Jax was brought for his toughness. Bonner is no bruised but can bang some. Timmy is not chopped liver either. Green, Leonard, and Neal are all able to hold their own. Splitter, again no bruiser type but can deal and deal with physicality.

I, for one do not see another roster out there who would want to take on the Spurs in a street fight game. In fact the Spurs the way the team is constructed this year, can out quick you, out run you, out shoot you, and if they have to, out muscle you.

I do not think any of the remaining teams wants to get into a half game rut with the Spurs. Nor do I think any of them want to let a game become a track meet. I really think when people have gone into their tirades about the Spurs' defensive woes, they have failed to look deeply enough into the games when they have been blown out. They got sloppy with the ball leading to breakaway buckets, or they were having horrendous shooting nights, not doing any O-rebounding, again leading to easy uncontested buckets, or they just plain became rather unfocused!!

(see game four with the Clippers). They beat Philly twice, Boston, and OKC 2 of 3. The Miami game whatever could go wrong, did. See the first Laker game of the Clip regular season game in SA. They could beat OKC four, but will likely need six or seven.The only really physical rotation players for Miami are Bron and Haslem. OKC has Perkins and Harden, who else? Indiana, though physical, has no cruiser/bruiser types. So who is left that can challenge the Spurs at "beat em up muscle type" ball games.
Old 05-23-12, 10:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

see, i think it's the opposite... i think it's guys like Leonord, Captain Jack, Blair, and Green who DIDN'T play in Europe that give us added toughness. you can tell me i buy too much into the soft Euro stereotype, but i for one like the fact that our teams include a mix of young'ns who grew up here and played college ball, who play physical and bring tenacity -- the hard-nosed kids that aren't just about finesse. the foreign players we do have this year are actually physical too -- Tiago's tough, and Diaw has really turned it around from his soft days in Phx (probably cuz he's so fat now it's harder to get up if he flops). Neal's got the metnal toughness RJ could never dream of (i think his rape trial and his journeyman path helped make him this way).

Memphis out-sized us because they were just bigger than us in the block and outmuscled us in that regard, but it was 100% clean. but Miami is not big enough to do just beat us up on the block. for them to be "physical" would mean cheapshots from undersized guys, in which case we can easily overcome them.
Old 05-24-12, 01:03 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I am truly amazed by the numbers were seeing in the polls. Are you guys really answering objectively? If so, I sure hope you're right.
Old 05-24-12, 06:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
I am truly amazed by the numbers were seeing in the polls. Are you guys really answering objectively? If so, I sure hope you're right.
Did you not watch the last series? That wasn't exactly a soft series. My mind was blown at how physical they allowed it to get. Parker, ginobili both took some brutal hits. What happened in Miami was just thuggish "retaliation". But a physical series? Yes. We just swept one.
Old 05-24-12, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Did you not watch the last series? That wasn't exactly a soft series. My mind was blown at how physical they allowed it to get. Parker, ginobili both took some brutal hits. What happened in Miami was just thuggish "retaliation". But a physical series? Yes. We just swept one.
i think the Jazz series was more physical than the Clippers, although both were.

there's a difference between physicality and thuggery. the Pacers were talking smack about the Heat, the Heat lost their cool. we wouldn't be talking trash or getting in people's faces unless forced to.
Old 05-24-12, 11:58 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
i think the Jazz series was more physical than the Clippers, although both were.

there's a difference between physicality and thuggery. the Pacers were talking smack about the Heat, the Heat lost their cool. we wouldn't be talking trash or getting in people's faces unless forced to.
Idk. Game 1 of Utah stuck out. But seems clipper game
Fouls were a lot harder and went uncalled. Parker and ginobili had to have been
On the floor more than in Utah. Pretty much anytime they got into the paint
Old 05-24-12, 12:07 PM
The Master Baiter

The core guys have been through physical series before, and those are the guys that will most likely get hit the most. The reaction for the Spurs is NOT to react to it. Get up, get mad and let it show in your play. I'm not a big Tiago fan, but he can get nasty if he needs to. Blair as well. Some people are wrongly thinking that because the Spurs are somewhat of a finesse team now that it automatically makes them soft. Ask the Jazz and the Clippers how soft they are.
Old 05-24-12, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
The core guys have been through physical series before, and those are the guys that will most likely get hit the most. The reaction for the Spurs is NOT to react to it. Get up, get mad and let it show in your play. I'm not a big Tiago fan, but he can get nasty if he needs to. Blair as well. Some people are wrongly thinking that because the Spurs are somewhat of a finesse team now that it automatically makes them soft. Ask the Jazz and the Clippers how soft they are.
Remember back before we won the title in 99 when we actually were soft. It took 'till our 2nd title in 2003 to get rid of that label. Now we are dispelling 2 other labels given to the Spurs, Old, and Boring. While we were old the 2 years before this year, we have never been boring IMHO.