News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-16-12, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Backup PG Issue

As good as the Spurs have looked so far their is still one big glaring weakness that bothers me and that is when Parker is out of the game. We have great bench players and when the starters come out we are often able to maintain or even increase the lead. However, as mentioned here all season and now more apparent since the playoffs have started is the problem of a back up pg. I love Neal, but he is a shooter/scorer not a ball handler/passer. In the Utah series and in this first Clippers game he has had major problems with turnovers when pressured, which is going to be from here on out as every team knows he's not a good ball handler. Same can be said for Manu as he is a little to tall for bringing the ball up. Our lead was cut into in both series so far whenever Parker was out and the other team decided to pressure the guy bringing the ball up. Our leads have been so big so far that this issue has not been a big problem, but will become one in tighter games. Its not like Pop doesn't realize this its just there is no real fix, except maybe that possibility of Patty Mills getting a chance, which doesn't seem likely. Its really the only weakness I see in our team right now. Call me greedy but if we could just figure out a way to keep our offense clicking when Parker goes out, these games wouldn't even be close at all in the 2nd half. Just wondering what others here thought.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-12, 01:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I agree we've lost good leads when the other teams pressure the ball and tony isn't the pg. I think mills maybe a good alternative in those instances
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-12, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
I agree we've lost good leads when the other teams pressure the ball and tony isn't the pg. I think mills maybe a good alternative in those instances
Pop just had a week of practice to see what Mills could do. playing with the big boys from SA.
Apparently, it wasn't enough.

But, after watching the 18 point lead dwindle into single digits, the LAC series might be a good opportunity to see what happens with Mills playing in the real world. It couldn't be much worse, and may pay off in later rounds.

Last edited by katyspursfan; 05-16-12 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'd love it to be Patty, but I don't think that happens this year. I have doubts about Neal as a PG (great backup shooting guard, though), so I think it's gonna be Manu for the 8 minutes or so that TP is on the bench.

Just pray that nobody (particularly TP) gets hurt.
Old 05-16-12, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Agree on this. Love Neal, but he's not good enough ball handler to cut it as a backup PG in the playoffs. He's getting pressured by everyone, and its affecting the whole rhythm of the team. I'd rather see Manu bring the ball up with Parker is out. And yes, at this point, I'd prefer to give Patty a chance at the spot.

It's the only glaring weakness we've seen thus far in the 5 games. And it will get exposed more and more the deeper we go.
Old 05-16-12, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Im going to trust pop on this...patty just might not be ready just yet. but who knows, im sure a change will eventually happen and i do think it will even be as beneficial to gary neal as much as any one else.
Old 05-16-12, 03:04 PM
Herman Cain of the board

TP has to play 40 minutes plus a game. World Peace is playing huge minutes. Like 44 minutes for his first playoff game. And he is much older than Tony. if he can do it. TP can too.
Old 05-16-12, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Pop just had a week of practice to see what Mills could do. playing with the big boys from SA.
Apparently, it wasn't enough.

But, after watching the 18 point lead dwindle into single digits, the LAC series might be a good opportunity to see what happens with Mills playing in the real world. It couldn't be much worse, and may pay off in later rounds.
i wish he'll go with Mills to be honest. nothing against Neal, but he's just not a ball handler. he's in Allen Iverson territory: not a PG, but too small to play SG.

does anyone remember me saying they're gonna pressure Neal in the playoffs? he needs Manu in there with him, but Manu is a good ball handler in the SG position, he's really not PG material vs. another PG off the bench. Mills at least brings some speed to flee from pressure and he can burn some PG's (even Paul who'll gamble for a steal).
Old 05-16-12, 03:14 PM
The Master Baiter

Gary Neal only played 12 mins and it got to single digits when he wasn't even on the court. I don't think it's that much of a weakness. Having a Tiago at backup center is more of a weakness.
Old 05-16-12, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Gary Neal only played 12 mins and it got to single digits when he wasn't even on the court. I don't think it's that much of a weakness. Having a Tiago at backup center is more of a weakness.
Tiago was rusty if you lOok at his 2 air balls at the line and the over anxious TO when he tried to take him man off the dribble. Neal has no business being the backup point plain and simple. We've talked about this all year and all off a sudden it's going to fix itself? No way is Tiago more of a liability. He needs the ball outside the post to be a liability whereas Neal has the brute court to screw up when being pressed full court. Have Manu bring the ball up. I'm sure Pop will find a way

- Confucius
Old 05-16-12, 04:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

They've tried the Manu bring the ball up the court idea and its has been just as turnover prone. Also, I know Parker will play more minutes when we have closer games, but it would be icing on the cake if Mills could fill in and give him more rest so he can close the game rather than the lead dwindling every time he sits.
Old 05-16-12, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Tony's just going to have to play more minutes. By the way I'm not sure I like Manu coming off the bench anymore. He doesn't bring the energy that he has in the past. Instead he comes off the bench pretty cold and by the time he gets anything flowing it's time to sit again. Also the starters have been great at getting a huge lead that when Manu comes into the game Manu's stuck playing pretty much garbage time just risking another injury to him. Also I don't want him to play PG because he can't.
Old 05-16-12, 05:58 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

I thought size was the glaring weakness. As for the backup PG duties, we are talking about splitting at most 12-15 minutes. I do remember that costing the Spurs a playoff game in '05 versus detroit. Beno anyone?
I would hesitate on bringing in Patty only because he is so new to the team. We don't have a Speedy Claxton who could come in after Tony, but Manu plus Neal I have more confidence in than bringing the guy who just came to the team and is still learning the Spur way...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 05-16-12, 07:10 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I've always said Neal was a SG from day 1. Combo guard he is but really a 3rd string at point if the first two are not able which is not the case here. I'm sure with Joseph and De Colo waiting in the wings.....PG will not be an issue I hope. FREE PATTY MILLS!
Old 05-16-12, 07:49 PM
The Master Baiter

I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Neal really doesn't handle the ball that much to begin with. He's usually in with Manu, and this rotation hasn't lost very many games. Plus, defenses aren't going to pressure a lot because it takes an enormous amount of energy and effort to do it constantly.

Get over it people.
Old 05-16-12, 08:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yesterdays game is the first one where the lead dropped with the 2nd unit and Pop has shown over his time that he just will not play a young point in the playoffs if he has been with the team less than a year no matter how well they have played in the regular season or practice.

Especially this year where the offensive rotations is our meal ticket, so Patty sadly will get minimal time here unless the bad scenario of an injury happens and noone wants to see that even just to get a look a Mills play.

Splitter was rusty but far from a liability and Manu's game is picking up more and more so I am not as worried about this
Old 05-16-12, 08:31 PM
SpursReport Regulator

Lets solve this problem now...let me call pop and have him have manu bring it up...problem solved
Old 05-16-12, 09:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Mind you I think its a minor weakness (with the team this strong, we're picking at nits), but I do see it as one. As for Manu turning it over, Manu's turnovers come because he tries to do to much. With Neal, he gets pressured/trapped and it throws the offense out of whack.

Again, I love Neal. Just think it's asking too much of him and would like to see other options. But I don't worry too much.

And as for size being our main weakness, yes, I would agree. But we don't have any other 7 foot options on the bench. But we do have other options for backup PG.
Old 05-16-12, 10:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Yesterdays game is the first one where the lead dropped with the 2nd unit and Pop has shown over his time that he just will not play a young point in the playoffs if he has been with the team less than a year no matter how well they have played in the regular season or practice.

Especially this year where the offensive rotations is our meal ticket, so Patty sadly will get minimal time here unless the bad scenario of an injury happens and noone wants to see that even just to get a look a Mills play.

Splitter was rusty but far from a liability and Manu's game is picking up more and more so I am not as worried about this
Game 4 against Utah we almost lost a 20 point lead.
Old 05-16-12, 10:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilly101 View Post
Game 4 against Utah we almost lost a 20 point lead.
True forgot that one, but I still don't think it is action stations on another PG as our 2nd unit has been performing strongly throughout our current run and 3 out of 5 in the playoffs, so a pretty strong showing for a rest for the starters.