News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-12, 08:03 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why Lin could sign for less with the Knicks

"While Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, will have a fiduciary responsibility to his client to get him the best deal possible, he'll know the eventual suitor will be the Knicks. Therefore, Montgomery could ask Lin to do the Knicks a favor and take $2 million less and sign for about $3 million, in order to give the team salary-cap flexibility. By staying in New York, Lin would be make up the difference off the court by being a hot name in the No. 1 media market. What Montgomery will have to watch out for is the Knicks saying, "Sign with us for $3 million and we'll promise to take care of you later." It's that promise to take care of a player later that gets teams into trouble."

The Knicks' summer spending - Knicks Blog - ESPN New York
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-12, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

If he signs for less look for Nash to get the rest of the Mle. That would be a solid pg rotation. As of now looks highly doubtful that scenario pans out

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-12, 11:23 AM
Herman Cain of the board

He is going to take the most money NY or not.
Old 05-15-12, 11:42 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Outside of D'Antoni's system, he's going to be exposed as the mediocre point gaurd that he really is. If he's smart, he should sign for the biggest and longest term contract he can find...or follow Mike D to his new team.
Old 05-15-12, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Outside of D'Antoni's system, he's going to be exposed as the mediocre point gaurd that he really is. If he's smart, he should sign for the biggest and longest term contract he can find...or follow Mike D to his new team.
He will stay in ny because of the endless endorsements hell have at his disposal. Theres talk that players union is looking into allowing teams to resign ayers without cutting into salary cap and MLE. If that's the case the Knicks could very well land Nash and keep Lin and Novak.

- Confucius
Old 05-15-12, 01:18 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I wouldn't take less to play for the Knicks. Not like they're going to spend that extra few million wisely. What they need to do is dump Amare or Carmelo.
Old 05-15-12, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

This gives the Spurs hope of keeping Patty Mills if they want to spend the money, right?

I don't mean to overestimate the guy, but he looks like TP Junior to me, far readier to compete than Joseph.
Old 05-15-12, 01:59 PM
The Amazing!

Just the start of the playoffs but did he do anything the first round? Neal seemed to do more.
Old 05-15-12, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I don't expect Mills to do much in this tournament. He was a late pick-up and hasn't nearly had the time to fit into the Spurs' design. Given that, I've liked watching him pick up things on the fly.

Neal, on the other hand, has been in the system for two years. Very good at what he does, but isn't close to being a natural PG. If the Spurs keep him (...it's gonna be a tough off-season with decisions due on Neal, Mills, Green, Diaw, Blair...), I'd think it would be as a back-up 2 and the third option at PG.
Old 05-15-12, 04:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
I don't expect Mills to do much in this tournament. He was a late pick-up and hasn't nearly had the time to fit into the Spurs' design. Given that, I've liked watching him pick up things on the fly.

Neal, on the other hand, has been in the system for two years. Very good at what he does, but isn't close to being a natural PG. If the Spurs keep him (...it's gonna be a tough off-season with decisions due on Neal, Mills, Green, Diaw, Blair...), I'd think it would be as a back-up 2 and the third option at PG.
Neal is signed through next year so nothing needs to be decided. He signed a three year deal and this is the second year of that contract

- Confucius
Old 05-15-12, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

But I will say I'd love to keep Diaw and bring over Lorbek and De Colo of possible. Out of the euro stashes, I'd prefer Lorbek. Love to be able to flip Blair, Joseph and anderson for anything in this years draft

- Confucius
Old 05-15-12, 04:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
This gives the Spurs hope of keeping Patty Mills if they want to spend the money, right?

I don't mean to overestimate the guy, but he looks like TP Junior to me, far readier to compete than Joseph.
Mills has a player option, I believe.
If he wants to play another year here, he can. If he wants to try the market, he can see what's out there.
Old 05-15-12, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

that's ridiculous IMO. for someone who nearly got cut at the beginning of his career? NO WAY. he's got to get as much now as possible. taking less money to play only makes sense if you've got some security.

that's why all the talk of him coming back early just to possibly play in the playoffs was RIDICULOUS. come back for one or two defeats at the hands of the Heat and possibly risk further injury when he's got the most leverage?

makes absolutely no sense if you think with any kind of logic or practicality.
Old 05-16-12, 02:33 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:

I agree that Patty could be groomed into TP Jr. Very good player who, unfortunately, will command a great deal of attention and money.
Old 05-16-12, 10:07 AM
The Master Baiter

NY will be the only stupid team to throw a lot of money at him. He's average at best.