News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-12, 06:26 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Official Clippers at Spurs Game 1 Thread (Tue 8:30 pm CT )

8:30 PM CT TV:TNT
LA Clippers (40 - 26)
San Antonio (50 - 16)

Series Tied 0-0

Clippers Report
First Look: San Antonio Spurs

LOS ANGELES -- It's been more than a month since the San Antonio Spurs have lost a game.

In that 32-day span, Tony Parker, Tim Duncan & Co. have gone 14-0, beating opponents by an average of more than 17 points per game. They've won as many games by more than 25 points -- three -- as they have by single digits.

Suffice it to say, San Antonio has been hot. And now the Los Angeles Clippers, having snuck by the Memphis Grizzlies in Sunday's Game 7 at the FedEx Forum, will play them in the Western Conference semifinals, beginning Tuesday in Texas.

It'll be a challenge, one that will go a long way toward shaping the public perception of Chris Paul's first season in Clipperland. If the Clippers somehow get by the Spurs, the year will be anointed a success, regardless of what happens in the next round(s).

But if they don't -- and, worse, if they get swept -- opinions will likely be somewhat split. Some will say coach Vinny Del Negro did enough to keep his job, considering the injuries and fast-paced schedule his team had to deal with over the past five months. Others will say he didn't, considering the two stars he had at his disposal and the bevy of other talent assembled for him during the 2011-12 season.

So, while we wait for that question to be answered, can the Clippers actually win this series?

It's going to be exceedingly difficult. The Spurs are hot, and they're also well-rested. That's not a good combination against a Clippers team dealing with injuries to Paul and Blake Griffin, one that struggled significantly to get by the star-less Grizzlies in the first round.

The first time the Clippers and Spurs played this season was telling, although it's important to note that the Clippers' construction has changed quite a bit since then. In that game, a 115-90 blowout Spurs home win on Dec. 28, Parker neutralized Paul and three Spurs scored at least 19 points.

In the second game, a 103-100 overtime San Antonio win in L.A. on Feb. 18, Parker outplayed Paul again and five other Spurs scored in double digits.

The third time the teams played, the Clippers won 120-108 in San Antonio in mid-March. But Parker didn't play in that game with a quad strain and Paul went off for 36 points and 11 assists.

As those games attest, one of the most troubling things about the Spurs matchup is that San Antonio has one of the only players in the NBA who can match Paul offensively and defensively on a night-to-night basis. And the Spurs have a host of other talent that can supplant Parker on any given night.

It's a nasty combination, and it's why the Spurs have been so tough to beat of late, with the addition of Patrick Mills in late March making it even more difficult.

The other most troubling thing? The coaching matchup -- or mismatch, rather. Del Negro deserves credit for out-coaching Memphis' Lionel Hollins in Sunday's Game 7, but it's doubtful he'll be able to do the same against San Antonio's Gregg Popovich.

Game 1 begins Tuesday in San Antonio, and the Spurs will be highly favored. For the Clippers, getting one of the first two in Texas will be their biggest challenge yet.

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 05-14-12 at 10:45 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-12, 03:53 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs need to come out and make this a statement game. Let the Clippers know they don't have a chance. This needs to be a double digit win, no excuses, no lack of energy, no rust nonsense.

Get out there and destroy them
Old 05-14-12, 05:42 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Clippers-Spurs Preview

(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
By PAUL J. WEBER
AP Sports Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) Blake Griffin woke up Monday with his sprained left knee not feeling worse, but not really much better. Rest is the only remedy, a luxury the Los Angeles Clippers don't have, and doctors guess he might miss two weeks if this were the regular season.

Griffin? He says he will play in Game 1 on Tuesday night against the San Antonio Spurs.

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro is making no such guarantees.
"I don't know yet," Del Negro said Monday. "I'll make that decision tomorrow after shootaround, after I talk to the trainer."
Griffin doesn't think that conversation will be necessary.

Griffin said there is "no doubt" about his availability for the start of the Western Conference semifinals, which start two days after the hobbled All-Star played fewer than two minutes in the fourth quarter of a Game 7 win at Memphis. His injury is the most worrisome for the banged-up

Clippers: All-Star Chris Paul said Monday that his bothersome right hip is OK, and forward Caron Butler is expected to play despite his broken left hand.

Following a light shootaround and film session Monday, Griffin put his health between 75 percent and 80 percent.

"Hopefully more than that, but realistically, probably about that," he said. "But my knee hasn't gotten worse. That's the encouraging thing. It just needs time, and we haven't had much of it."

They've barely had any at all.
The Clippers flew straight to Texas from Memphis on Sunday night, leaving them little time to savor one of the biggest wins in the woeful 41-year history of the franchise. Never had the Clippers won a Game 7 before Sunday, and this marks only the third time they've advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

Then there are the Spurs.
Few things about the No. 1 seed in the West could be more different than the Clippers, and not just in terms of franchise history. While the worn-out Clippers are facing their sixth game in 11 days, the Spurs haven't played for eight days since sweeping Utah in the first round.

That the Spurs are not the most hobbled team in a playoff series is a refreshing change of pace for them. Winners of 14 in a row - one of the NBA's six-longest winning streaks sustained in the playoffs since 1986 - the Spurs are not just well rested but also in unusually good health for this time of year.

They're also in a good mood: After the Clippers won Sunday, Spurs guard Tony Parker sent Paul a text message.
"See you soon," Parker wrote.
What took the Clippers so long, anyway?
"I was kind of expecting to play on Sunday," Manu Ginobili said. "The uncertainty is not always good. I came here (Saturday) thinking I was going to know, and then I didn't. It's demotivating. Because you can't prepare for nobody."

The Spurs won two of three meetings with the Clippers this season, their only loss coming when Parker sat out with a sore thigh. That was March 9; the Spurs have lost only three more times since then, and once was when coach Gregg Popovich didn't play Parker, Ginobili and Tim Duncan so his stars could rest.

By Monday afternoon, the Clippers were so starved for rest that Griffin was talking about the Game 7 afternoon start almost as though it were a blessing, because it gave them another precious half-day to recover.
"Going through a seven-game series is definitely exhausting," Griffin said. "We may have some guys that are a little beat-up. That's how it is. But a lot of teams have that, and we can't use that as an excuse."
Old 05-14-12, 06:14 PM
The Master Baiter

Spurs come out flat. I'm close to predicting a loss, but this team is different from years past.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-12, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Spurs come out flat. I'm close to predicting a loss, but this team is different from years past.
i was thinking we'd come out flat and lose, but even if we come out flat, i don't know how we lose to a severely banged up Clippers team.
Old 05-14-12, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think the faith pop has in his 10 man rotation really helps with this long layoff. Someone is bound to keep this team afloat while the rest of the team catches up.
Old 05-14-12, 08:45 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

If this was last year's team I'd agree with the coming out flat idea, but there's something different about these guys. They may stumble at the beginning, but there's an edge to this team that hasn't been there in the past.
Old 05-14-12, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
If this was last year's team I'd agree with the coming out flat idea, but there's something different about these guys. They may stumble at the beginning, but there's an edge to this team that hasn't been there in the past.
???????????????????????
Old 05-14-12, 09:49 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Ya think???? Spurs come out flat for maybe a quarter and blow the clips out tomorrow night. I say they win by at least 15 pts!
Old 05-14-12, 10:25 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

This is a real PO matchup!

Spurs are no Grizz's okay!!!!

Chris Paul told the Clippers before game 7 in Memphis (I bought my wife and son some tickets to San Anton? Are you all coming wid me?) He set that tone in the locker room Sunday Morning!!!!!

WAIT a minute not so fast CPaul!

Don't you ever think that you all can come here to San Anton and steal game one or two because Spurs are READY and have been waiting for you all for a long long long time!!!!! :shocked

Be very Afraid Clippers because you are coming to our TOUGH to beat HOME TEAM and CROWD since I am going to be in attendance!

HERE COMES THOSE SPURS!!!!!

Spurs need to PUNCH HARD and never look back keep stepping on that gas and never let go!!!

Even if refs would not call some calls like they did in game 7 in Memphis? Spurs will play hard and move that ball and match that energy and never let go until they win!

Tony Parker> Chirs Paul

Timmy and Ginobili are ready!

Danny Green is ready!

Leonard is ready!

Bonner is ready!

Gary Neal is READY!

Captin Jack is READY!

Diaw is Ready!

Blair is also Ready!

All Spurs will be READY!

Our Spurs only know how to WIN here!!!! Because losing in NOT an option!

Spurs 104
Clippers 90

Must blow them out!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Old 05-15-12, 12:10 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 112
Clippers 100
Old 05-15-12, 02:48 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Spurs win 112-96. The clipper bench which was key for them vs the grizz in game seven will just be playing the string come fourth quarter vs the Spurs bench which has had the best reserves all season long, even made stronger by the additions of SJax and Mills...

After six minutes of the fourth, the Spurs will be up by 13 points, and with four minutes remaining, Pop has the Big Three enjoying the rest of the game from the sideline to celebrate a 16 point win.
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 05-15-12, 03:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Call me a dreamer, but I predict 2 swept teams in a row courtesy of San Antonio's finest!
Old 05-15-12, 06:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't think the Spurs are gonna come out flat. Maybe a bit too hyped or sloppy in the 1st quarter, but as usual, they close out the 2nd quarter, going into the half up by at least double digits. Maintain the lead in the 3rd, until early in the 4th there's another Spurs run and Vinny pulls his guys to rest for game 2. Spurs by at least 20 in the end. Spurs 110 - Clips 90.

Our Spurs do have some sort of edge to them this season. No first-playoff game letdown as usual, and a clean sweep against the Jazz. We did not play down to the opponents level. Hope is a dangerous thing, but I'm starting to think we got this. Fear OKC - but no other team, West or East.
Old 05-15-12, 07:56 AM

It's about DAMM time!!!!!!!!!! ........Spurs are hungry, eager, and ready to play! Spurs win big, maybe have about 1 quarter of rust and then blow them out in the 2nd half.

Spurs 111

Clippers 91
Old 05-15-12, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Spurs just need to remember how Oklahoma came out and do the same or better - they are better!
Old 05-15-12, 09:12 AM
Official SR Home Builder

NBA TV: Spurs vs. Clippers: 2012 Season Series Breakdown
Old 05-15-12, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If anyone here is in SoCal and thinking about going to games 3 and/or 4, join our Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/scsasf/
Old 05-15-12, 02:55 PM

Start the game already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-12, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Spurs 123
Clippers 100

Old 05-15-12, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Heard Griffin on DP this a.m. He REALLY sounded worn out....
Old 05-15-12, 04:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Spurs need to come out and make this a statement game. Let the Clippers know they don't have a chance. This needs to be a double digit win, no excuses, no lack of energy, no rust nonsense.

Get out there and destroy them
My thoughts exactly. I don't want a close game with Paul on the perimeter...
Old 05-15-12, 05:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

As a loooong time watcher of the Spurs, I can't recall being more confident in the team, both in terms of talent and disposition. We've had great teams not win it all, but this team certainly has as good a shot as any. One thing I can say for certain. THIS team is not going down at the hands of the freaking Clippers. We may struggle to find it tonight (though I doubt it) but we may win in five even if we lose tonight.

Old 05-15-12, 05:48 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Spurs 210
PaperClips 100

GO GO

Old 05-15-12, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Spurs 210
PaperClips 100

GO GO
210? be generous lady! ;lol
Old 05-16-12, 12:37 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tango from San Diego View Post
Spurs win 112-96.
The margin was right. Off by four points to the over...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~