News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-12, 10:22 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Article: Humbled Al Jefferson says San Antonio Spurs are better than Utah Jazz

NBA: Humbled Al Jefferson says San Antonio Spurs are better than Utah Jazz | The Salt Lake Tribune
Humbled Al Jefferson says San Antonio Spurs are better than Utah Jazz
By Brian T. Smith

For the third consecutive time after a humbling playoff loss, Jazz center Al Jefferson appeared beaten. He spoke slowly and quietly. He avoided eye contact. His confidence and swagger were gone.

Minutes after Utah coach Tyrone Corbin hinted at a lineup change and praised young power forward Derrick Favors for refusing to accept defeat, the Jazz’s premier player all but ruled Utah dead and done in its Western Conference first-round series against the surging San Antonio Spurs.

“We’re playing against a team that is at its peak, and I don’t see nobody beating ‘em. … It’s a great team. I just take my hat off to ’em. Mad respect,” said Jefferson, prior to practice Sunday at Utah’s workout facility.

Jefferson said a Jazz team down 3-0 in a best-of-seven matchup hasn’t given up and will fight for a Game 4 victory Monday at EnergySolutions Arena. But during a series of questions about the strength of a highly efficient Spurs offense that’s shooting 51.2 percent from the field and averaging 107.3 points during the series, an up-front and honest Jefferson acknowledged what’s been obvious since the postseason began: an unproven Utah club has been severely outmatched against a four-time NBA champion San Antonio squad.

“Right now they just playing well, man,” Jefferson said. “I ain’t never seen nothing like this.”

Jefferson began the series saying he was honored to play against Spurs center Tim Duncan, who’s limited Jefferson’s aggressiveness and efficiency on the offensive end of the floor. As the series has unfolded, the Jazz’s average leading scorer and rebounder during the regular season has offered constant praise and respect for a fine-tuned Spurs machine that’s won 24 of 26 games dating back to April 11.

Jefferson said he hasn’t competed against a team comparable to San Antonio during his eight-year career. And three separate times during an interview Sunday, the Utah big man acknowledged the Spurs are stronger than and superior to the Jazz.

“It gets to the point where you’re just playing a team that’s better than you; that know what it takes to win and know how to win,” Jefferson said.

He added: “If you lose to a team because you didn’t play your best, that’s one thing. If you’re playing your best and doing everything that you can, and you’re just playing against a team that’s better than you, that’s another one.”
[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-12, 11:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He's right. The Spurs are a better team right now. But if I was a Utah fan I would be proud of my team giving it everything they know how to give. Its a learning experience for them and they will come away with those valuable lessons.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-12, 02:50 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

That is a classy way to describe the Spurs as they are and give them the proper credit. I think I like Aj from but of course I like him to lose to my Spurs first!!!! Spurs need to step on that GAS pedal and never let go tomorrow night!!!! Don't ever give them any hope!

The Jazz are still young and inexperienced, but if they can get few trades and build up they could go somewhere in the coming few years. No disrespect but right now they are showing up exactly what they are the 8th seed!
I asked them if it wasn't too much trouble, if I wasn't being too pushy, if they could execute what we were trying to do. And if it didn't make them too angry, if they also wanted to play some defense on the other end, that would be great.
--Gregg Popovich!
Old 05-07-12, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I like this guy Jefferson - can we get him??
Old 05-07-12, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

You don't want Al Jefferson. The guy plays no defense and is a black hole on offense.

$
Old 05-07-12, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Utah could prosper by picking up James Harden as a wing that could open up the inside game.
Old 05-07-12, 12:18 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
You don't want Al Jefferson. The guy plays no defense and is a black hole on offense.

$
Defnse yes, but black hole on offense? Hasn't he put up 20ppg before? He is not that bad lol, he has some talent. I think he is too much money though, you are defiintely right there.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-07-12, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Black hole = every time he touches the ball, he shoots it.

He doesn't pass well or work well in a motion offense.

$
Old 05-07-12, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Utah could prosper by picking up James Harden as a wing that could open up the inside game.
In what alternate reality does OKC let Hardin go?

Unless he demands a max contract, and maybe even then, he stays in OKC.

$
Old 05-07-12, 12:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
In what alternate reality does OKC let Hardin go?

Unless he demands a max contract, and maybe even then, he stays in OKC.

$
OKC has lots of young talent that will be justifiably demanding serious pay raises. I believe Hardin is a free agent. OKC may want to keep him but may not be able to afford him.

Just sayin'...
Old 05-07-12, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Perhaps. Unfortunately for OKC, they may have to choose between Ibaka and Hardin.

I take Hardin personally, the dude is a stud. But who knows?

$
Old 05-07-12, 01:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

pretty classy me thinks.
Old 05-07-12, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Utah has my respect, they play hard, play fair.
Old 05-07-12, 01:54 PM
SpursReport 2010 Pick The Winner Champion

Taking the best from this series will definitely help the jazz grow. For many of these players it´s first time in the PO.
I hope Jazz to evolve to Top 5 in the conference in a few years
Old 05-07-12, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I've always liked Al Jefferson! Great player and very humble! I wish he was on our team! He could learn alot from Timmy! His team just came up against a hungry Spurs team that wants Championship #5! Such a classy guy!