News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-27-12, 01:46 PM

The WWE Guide to the NBA

Tim Duncan Is The Undertaker

"In this corner, hailing from Texas, standing at 6-foot-11, wearing black and staring ominously at his opponent …. " You get the point. Each of them is a stonefaced stoic, basically the last big man standing of his generation, and each is revered within the fraternity of his sport. Even if people say they're washed-up — Undertaker only wrestles once a year at this point, more or less; looking at the Spurs' box scores on some nights, you'd be excused for thinking that Duncan had retired — how many washed-up guys are the defensive anchor for a no. 1 seed, and how many washed-up guys performed in the best match of WrestleMania? They're both good for one big run every year, and they're mature enough to know that in the end, the big stage — the playoffs for Duncan and WrestleMania for 'Taker — is what really matters.
(Oh, and Undertaker is basically a zombie, while the way Duncan keeps chugging along is almost supernatural. I'm not saying Duncan is actually a high-functioning zombie, but would you really be surprised to find out he was?)

David Stern, Vince McMahon, LeBron James, John Cena, and the WWE guide to the NBA - Grantland
Old 04-27-12, 02:22 PM
Banned

Sorry but Bill Simmons can go F himself. Hate that guy and he has yet to write something worth repeating.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-12, 03:44 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Jose must love this tread b/c it has to do with the undertaker......Jose rides his jock worse than I ride K. Leo's.....lol......j/k
Old 04-27-12, 03:49 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Sorry but Bill Simmons can go F himself. Hate that guy and he has yet to write something worth repeating.
Ummmm Bill Simmons didn't write this...some dude named David Shoemaker
Old 04-27-12, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
Jose must love this tread b/c it has to do with the undertaker......Jose rides his jock worse than I ride K. Leo's.....lol......j/k
Old 04-27-12, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
Ummmm Bill Simmons didn't write this...some dude named David Shoemaker
Stupid facts.
They can be entirely irrelevant on SR.

I got to the second paragraph, realized I hadn't watched wrestling since since I was a naive 10 year old, and moved on.
Only thing that made less sense by then was any Will trade idea.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-12, 12:28 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Stupid facts.
They can be entirely irrelevant on SR.

I got to the second paragraph, realized I hadn't watched wrestling since since I was a naive 10 year old, and moved on.
Only thing that made less sense by then was any Will trade idea.
Less sense? Here is one for katyspermfan............

Or the two idiots that talked about the orgin of fortune cookies invented in America by a chinese/american person or whatever they ignorantly typed on this board. (false claim) They had it dead wrong with a subject on Jeremy Lin who is STILL NOT JAPANESE AND FORTUNE COOKIES WERE A JAPANESE INVENTION NOT A CHINESE ONE!(fact) This was over the Linsanity ice cream flavor thing. Of course..... I corrected them. Oh my SJAX trade idea involving RJ?????? Yeah really stupid idea. RC and Pop pretty much did what I suggested on here and I was blasted for it. Where are the brain dead people now? Even before the trade idea, I suggested the route to get of rid of RJ without the amnesty provision. I was right again! I said the Spurs were not going to use it on RJ last year. They did not use it. I'm laughing at you and all the other dummies on here right now! Everytime you bring me up like that expect your dumb ignorant posts about Lin/fortune cookies to be brought up. I promise you that. They are saved on here FYI. Go back and review your stupidity for years to come!

Post from katystupidfan directed to WILLTHETHRILL:

For fear of the uninformed public that jerks its knee to the uninformed.

See :Thethrill, Will

It's not the company that's ignorant. It's the public.
You were just shown the history of fortune cookies. Entirely American. Made in America. For those that weren't paying attention, it's an American product.

Yet, the ignorant think it's not. And object, out of ignorance. And, somehow, project it into one's own heritage. Finally, objecting to the offense that had not taken place against said heritage, and still objecting.

Yeesh.

I responded with this article.................

Fortune Cookies Were Invented in Japan, Not China
DavenDecember 2, 20110Share:

Today I found out fortune cookies were invented in Japan, not China or America.

The commonly held notion that they were invented in China typically comes from the fact that they are primarily served in Americanized Chinese restaurants. However, you will not find fortune cookies in actual Chinese restaurants, nor will you find historical records of a similar food item in China. The largest manufacturer of fortune cookies, Wonton Food, based in New York, even once tried to introduce fortune cookies to the Chinese in the late 1980s. After three years, they gave up, as they simply weren’t a popular food item there.

Most people, who know they were not invented in China, typically think they were invented in America, which is reasonable enough, considering they are primarily consumed in America. This is closer to the truth, but still not quite there. The various people who are often credited as having invented fortune cookies, in almost all credible cases, were Japanese immigrants to America. Thus, fortune cookies are sometimes humorously referred to as “A Chinese food invented by the Japanese in America”. As it turns out though, fortune cookies were actually invented in Japan, which is probably why there are so many credible stories of Japanese immigrants in the early 20th century “inventing” fortune cookies. In fact, they simply brought them over from Japan.

This fact was very recently (1990s) discovered when a researcher, Yasuko Nakamachi, encountered a fortune cookie-shaped cracker, called a Tsujiura Senbei, made by hand in a family bakery (Sohonke Hogyokudo), near a Shinto shrine outside of Kyoto, Japan. This “cracker”, not only looked like a fortune cookie, it also contained a fortune, called an “omikuji” (fortune slip), and was traditionally sold in shrines and temples.

These crackers are cooked by pouring batter into waffle-iron-like molds and then holding the irons over coals. While the cracker is still warm, little pieces of paper containing a message are folded within.

In any event, this all lead to research on exactly when these crackers first started being made, to see if they predated when the fortune cookies first started showing up in America. One of the earliest documented definitive references can be found in an 1878 image of an apprentice baker making these fortune cookies in a bakery. Not only was the apprentice baker depicted making these cookies, but he was making them exactly as they were being made by the bakery Nakamachi observed them being baked at outside of Kyoto. This image was found in the 19th century book of stories, “Moshiogusa Kinsei Kidan”, and pre-dates fortune cookies popping up in America by about two to three decades. Going back even further than that, there is a reference in a book, from the early 19th century, where a woman tries to placate two other women with a cracker that contains a fortune inside.

Interestingly, descendants of two of the first bakeries to make fortune cookies, including one that has been in operation for about a century in America, still possess the original black iron “kata” grills their ancestors used. These grills are nearly identical to the ones being used by the bakeries outside of Kyoto and which also mirror the one depicted in the 1878 image of the apprentice baker.

So fortune cookies were brought to America from Japan by Japanese immigrants. How then did they end up in Americanized Chinese food restaurants? There are a few plausible theories out there, listed below, but nobody knows for sure.

After World War II, it is well documented that fortune cookies were almost exclusively being served in Chinese restaurants in California. From there, they spread to nearly all Chinese restaurants in America and a few others in Europe and South America. According to fortune cookie makers from that era, the spread from California to the rest of America was instigated largely by soldiers returning home from Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO). When soldiers went home, they requested fortune cookies from their local Chinese restaurants, like they had found in California, and thus the spread.

Further, during WWII, over 100,000 people who were of Japanese decent were locked up in internment camps; among them were many of the Japanese bakers who made fortune cookies. Also, things associated with Japan, such as Japanese restaurants, weren’t too favorably thought of at the time. So a combination of many of the Japanese restaurant and bakery owners and workers being locked up and the unpopularity of things associated with Japan left fortune cookies to be primarily found in Chinese restaurants by the soldiers. This also created a vacuum in the manufacturing of fortune cookies, as many of the Japanese manufacturers of fortune cookies were in internment camps. Thus, many Chinese bakeries then took over in the production of fortune cookies.

Another theory is simply that the Japanese bakers themselves were obviously perfectly willing to sell to any restaurant that wanted to buy. Chinese cuisine typically doesn’t have any dessert items, thus it is plausible that the fortune cookie caught on more with Chinese restaurants because it made for a nice cheap dessert to add to the menu. Also, in the early 19th century, many Japanese immigrants opened Americanized-Chinese restaurants as Americanized-Chinese cuisine tended to be more popular than traditional and even Americanized-Japanese cuisine to Americans.
Old 04-28-12, 01:42 AM
Administrator