News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-12, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mark my words... The Spurs will go after this fundamentally sound big man

He may not want to talk about it, but it will happen...

Quote:

"Hibbert's performance in the playoffs will likely play a part in how big a contract he'll receive when he becomes a restricted free agent in July. "I don't want to start thinking it's my contract year and try to do too much and affect the game in a negative way," he said. "I'm not really thinking about that. Obviously I want to be a dominating presence."

Hibbert should dominate with Howard out | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-12, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I believe so also. And I think Tim will do what he can within reason to fit him in salary-wise. The problem is he is a restricted FA. So, indy can match, and we have to wait until they decide impacting other pursuits.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-12, 12:33 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

mark your words......hmmmmmm....just like you siad Kawhi Leonard is overated and not very good?:drummer

They very well may go after him but it really depends on the $$$ situation. How much is he worth? Does Timmy re-sign for less? Or even sign at all? Can we keep Danny Green for cheap? To many questions that have yet to be decided by the FO.
Old 04-27-12, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
mark your words......hmmmmmm....just like you siad Kawhi Leonard is overated and not very good?:drummer.
AND this will be Guapo's legacy

i don't think so. if we win a title (big IF), we'll have our bigs locked up next year if Diaw is re-signed, which will be a big priority. we have a team option on Blair and if Boris comes back, he'll most likely be let go to cement our core for the season (Duncan/Splitter/Diaw/Bonner). we won't need a big and if we do, it'll have to be a veteran or raw young guy who can sit most of the season and spot minutes to bigs (this is where the Ryan Richards or that other dude we got from Indiana in the trade come in).

if we have money, we'll be looking to replace Danny Green if he leaves. that will be our biggest priority if it comes to free agents outside this team.
Old 04-27-12, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

what about sign and trade: ryan richards rights or lorbek rights + blair + anderson for hibbert..
Old 04-27-12, 02:47 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Why wouldn't Indiana want to re-sign him?
Old 04-27-12, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Old 04-27-12, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Why wouldn't Indiana want to re-sign him?
Because Guapo wants him on our team.
Old 04-27-12, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

^^^

Old 04-27-12, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
what about sign and trade: ryan richards rights or lorbek rights + blair + anderson for hibbert..
Blair + Anderson wouldn't come close to what Hibbert is going to command for a sign and trade. we have a team option on Blair next year and Anderson is FA anyway
Old 04-28-12, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

they're getting lorbek next year
wont have room for hibbert
Old 04-28-12, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman44 View Post
they're getting lorbek next year
wont have room for hibbert
we're or they're? we have the rights to Lorbek.

we also have a team option on Blair and Diaw is a FA, we have more than enough room for a big.
Old 04-28-12, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Are you people crazy? Why even talk about this? He's a RFA and they will match any reasonable offer and were in no position to throw the bank at him. No way will IN let him walk and they is just pure nonsense to even speculate. How bout we just trade for Dwight Howard since he's damaged goods haha

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 02:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Are you people crazy? Why even talk about this? He's a RFA and they will match any reasonable offer and were in no position to throw the bank at him. No way will IN let him walk and they is just pure nonsense to even speculate. How bout we just trade for Dwight Howard since he's damaged goods haha
Is there any league rule or process that would preclude Tim Duncan from signing a lower-dollar contract with the Spurs? Because if Duncan were willing to take a pay cut next year, then San Antonio COULD throw unreasonable money at Hibbert. It would be the only way to get him. After all, we won't be getting a #1 draft pick anytime soon, and there aren't many other strategic options available, unless we tank (while Ginobili and Parker aren't getting any younger). And even if we tank for a couple of years, there is no guarantee of getting a proven big man; there are too many variables between the lottery and the talent that's available at the time.

By the way, Hibbert had *9* blocks tonight (granted, in a loss to an Orlando team that is missing Dwight Howard).

Last edited by tenthousandaces; 04-29-12 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 02:33 AM
Banned

^
Obviously they are. However conjecture is fun I guess.

Quote:
However to answer dances question.
  1. Spurs have indicated they will start at 11 mil a year for 3 years with either o player or team option the last year
  2. Why would you want you're future hall of fame to take a minimum salary pay cut?
  3. Why would he expect the spurs to offer Tim Duncan a deal worse than the one they gave to D Rob his last 3 years?
  4. Finally even at 11 million that's almost a "pay cut " of 50%

Finally in what world to you all imagine a Front office run by Larry "Legend" Bird willing to part with a budding All Star Center?

Are you mistaking him for Isiah Thomas, or maybe LOL Micheal Jordan?

Still been a fun thread to chuckle at.

(While hibbert had 9 block shots. He was horrible offensively. The whole team was but Hibbert was in the post against guys 4 or five inches shorter than him. )

Last edited by Rodny21a; 04-29-12 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 04:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Rodny: Please don't make false/foolish assumptions or inferences.

And where did anyone (other than you) cite those specific numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
^
Obviously they are. However conjecture is fun I guess.
[*]Why would you want you're future hall of fame to take a minimum salary pay cut?[*]Why would he expect the spurs to offer Tim Duncan a deal worse than the one they gave to D Rob his last 3 years?[*]Finally even at 11 million that's almost a "pay cut " of 50%[/list]
Finally in what world to you all imagine a Front office run by Larry "Legend" Bird willing to part with a budding All Star Center?

Are you mistaking him for Isiah Thomas, or maybe LOL Micheal Jordan?

Still been a fun thread to chuckle at.
Old 04-29-12, 06:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'd lOve for it to happen but let's be honest with ourselves, it's not going to happen win and simple. If you want to upgrade at center, then hone in on Erzam Lorbek (best big in Europe supposedly) and have Tony coax Diaw for staying another year at the vet min or something close for what cod possibly be a title defense year (let's hope). If so, that would allow our FO to attempt to flip Blair for something else (2nd rd pick?).

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Column by Buck harvey

Tim Duncan won’t leave San Antonio as Peyton Manning did Indianapolis.

For one, Duncan won’t wear a suit and tie and field questions on live television.

He’d play until he was 60 to avoid that.

But he also won’t face what Manning did Wednesday, because everything is different for Duncan. From his sport to the economics to his franchise.

The Spurs will be careful this summer — when Duncan is as free as Manning is now.

The Colts made the right move this week. Various contractual and salary cap implications made Manning’s return to the Colts tricky, and Andrew Luck made it illogical.

But the Colts’ owner, Jim Irsay, was clumsy with an already combustible situation. He’s fired off tweets in the middle of the night, refuting both medical and media opinions, which is why he needed Wednesday’s press conference more than Manning did.

Manning went along, both because he’s smart enough to sell the moment, and because he needed a chance to say goodbye. He and Indy deserved that.

Duncan should be able to relate. He and Manning were born a month apart in the spring of 1976, and their paths continued from southern colleges to become the No. 1 overall draft choices of their respective sports.

Their minds were quicker than their feet. And if Duncan couldn’t pass as Manning could, he saw the floor as Manning saw the field.

Manning won four MVPs to Duncan’s two while Duncan won four titles to Manning’s one. And along the way, winning about 70 percent of their games, year after year, their small-market teams were able to build a few things that still stand today. Lucas Oil Stadium is one, the AT&T Center is the other.

Both Indianapolis and San Antonio needed these players to keep their franchises, and that’s why both Manning and Irsay choked up at times Wednesday. Business said the Colts should part ways, but emotions didn’t.

The Spurs won’t have to face that. Duncan doesn’t have a bubble payment coming, and the dynamics of the NBA are different, too. Even if another 6-foot-11 savior was arriving, Duncan could play with him.

Still, there was a time when the Spurs wondered if they could talk a Hall of Fame lock into a salary slash. Couldn’t they better rebuild if David Robinson would take an 80 percent pay cut?

That was in the summer of 2001, and Robinson wondered out loud then if he would finish his career in San Antonio. The Spurs backtracked, and everything worked out, including another title for Robinson.

The Spurs not only remember all of this, they also saw again Wednesday what their own Manning can still do for them. Then, against the Knicks, Duncan was workmanlike with 17 points and eight rebounds in a game that was never close. It was the kind of night, given his effectiveness, the Spurs can see being repeated for another two or three years.

Months ago during the lockout, before anyone was sure there was even going to be a season, the Spurs were already thinking about this summer. Duncan’s contract is something they have to get right, and they’ve already been trying to get a sense of what he deserves.

A starting point: More than half what Duncan was scheduled to earn this season.

Duncan wouldn’t want to leave. This is all he’s ever known and, besides, he would have trouble finding another coach like Gregg Popovich. Not everyone gets ejected with a 22-point lead, as Popovich did Wednesday.

Manning didn’t have any choice, but he won’t have trouble finding another job. Soon he’ll be a Dolphin or a Cardinal or — if Houston is lucky — a Texan.

And that’s the difference between these men and their careers.

When Duncan leaves the Spurs, he won’t be going anywhere.Spurs Nation
Sorry Guys, but when I play the conjecture game I like too deal with facts and rely on credible resources.

Buck Harvey has in this article said that the Spurs are going to give Duncan a D Rob type extension. Buck in the article sys the "starting poing" is more than HALF his current contract. Well that is more than 11 mill a year.

Consequently all this speculation on offering Hibbers this or Hibberts that. Doing this with Blairs or Diaws or with a partridge in a pair tree is HIGHLY speculative.

Not to mention as it has been said by me and SpurDuncan why would Indiana give up there keystone center when they are rebuilding especially when that center is a Restricted Free Agent?
Old 04-29-12, 08:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Sorry Guys, but when I play the conjecture game I like too deal with facts and rely on credible resources.

Buck Harvey has in this article said that the Spurs are going to give Duncan a D Rob type extension. Buck in the article sys the "starting poing" is more than HALF his current contract. Well that is more than 11 mill a year.

Consequently all this speculation on offering Hibbers this or Hibberts that. Doing this with Blairs or Diaws or with a partridge in a pair tree is HIGHLY speculative.

Not to mention as it has been said by me and SpurDuncan why would Indiana give up there keystone center when they are rebuilding especially when that center is a Restricted Free Agent?
I'm not denying there's no truth to your numbers but to think of using most if not all, of the cap money to sign Hobbert is ridiculous. How about Lorbek or De Colo who would love for te opportunity to play in SA? Also, Diaw will be a FA and we've loved him while he's been here. I'd like to think how nice it would e I have Roy play for us but it stands almost as much of a chance f happening as does us somehow prying Batum from Portland. Spurs are not a flashy team and will rather spend their money Ina various amount of ways rather than going to one sole avenue in Hibbert. I don't see it happening as much as you obviously would like it to happen. Focus on the playoffs an enjoy it while it's here

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 08:51 AM
Banned

don't know if you directed you last question toward me or not but I've posted 3 separate times in the thread saying that spurs in no way shape or form would be trying to go after Hibbert.

Just Sayin'.
Old 04-29-12, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
don't know if you directed you last question toward me or not but I've posted 3 separate times in the thread saying that spurs in no way shape or form would be trying to go after Hibbert.

Just Sayin'.
It was directed at you because i was assuming that you were thinking the spurs were seriously going after him (which they will not). I'm saying there's no use to speculating when the true season is just starting for us and rather than wasting time talking about it, we spurs fans should just enjoy the voyage to 16 wins we are about to embark on

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 09:27 AM
The Master Baiter

I still can't believe people want Tim to take that much of a paycut. He's much more effective than Drob was at the same stage in his career. I know people want to think Tim would give up everything to help the Spurs, but lets be realistic. Besides, they don't really need to break the bank to get a big man, specifically a pretty average big man. AND, the league seems to be going away from the "Get as many bigs as possible" team, to the motion oriented teams.
Old 04-29-12, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I still can't believe people want Tim to take that much of a paycut. He's much more effective than Drob was at the same stage in his career. I know people want to think Tim would give up everything to help the Spurs, but lets be realistic. Besides, they don't really need to break the bank to get a big man, specifically a pretty average big man. AND, the league seems to be going away from the "Get as many bigs as possible" team, to the motion oriented teams.
Exactly uwe. This is a waste of time and no way will the spurs overspend for anyone especially when they're historically a frugal team when it comes to free agents. He is an improving big man but not one the spurs will attempt to get when they have a chance to bring a prized european big man over and need to fill our roster with cheaper, yet effective alternatives

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 10:07 AM
Herman Cain of the board

I don't see Hibbert leaving since he is a RFA period. Pacers have tons of cap space too. On a Duncan pay cut...........I don't see him taking less than 10-11 million a year. He might get 12 million a year. He is going to get what TP and Manu are making more than likely. I think if they go after a RFA it's going to be Batum. They wanted him bad in the draft a few years ago. It's funny how everyone likes Roy H. so much but when was a Georgetown player nobody on here thought much of him. I've always liked him.
Old 04-29-12, 10:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I don't see Hibbert leaving since he is a RFA period. Pacers have tons of cap space too. On a Duncan pay cut...........I don't see him taking less than 10-11 million a year. He might get 12 million a year. He is going to get what TP and Manu are making more than likely. I think if they go after a RFA it's going to be Batum. They wanted him bad in the draft a few years ago. It's funny how everyone likes Roy H. so much but when was a Georgetown player nobody on here thought much of him. I've always liked him.
That's so true. Nobody liked him when Blair put him on his back in college. As far as Batum goes, only chance we get him is through a sign and trade and parting ways with Blair, green and possibly rights o De Colo. no chance we outright sign him because both Batum and Portland are already saying that they will match everything to keep him in Portland. For him to be in SA, he will need to tell their FO he wants to leave and request to start fielding trade offers.

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Lorbek + Duncan - blair > Hibbert

Signing a guy like Hibbert would mean changing the focus of our offense from Tony Parker.

That isn't going to happen.

This is Tony Parker's team for the next 4 years AT A MINIMUM. Any bigs we sign in the next 4 years are going to be complimentary to our motion style offense.
Old 04-29-12, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Lorbek + Duncan - blair > Hibbert

Signing a guy like Hibbert would mean changing the focus of our offense from Tony Parker.

That isn't going to happen.

This is Tony Parker's team for the next 4 years AT A MINIMUM. Any bigs we sign in the next 4 years are going to be complimentary to our motion style offense.
I like the subtraction of Blair and addition of lorbek. However I would love to see the spurs retain Diaw after this season and even a bigger role for splitter next year in what will be his last year of contract I think. Although the spurs have fielded their deepest team ever this year, they can do it again next year I hope

- Confucius
Old 04-29-12, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

i don't think so. if we win a title (big IF), we'll have our bigs locked up next year if Diaw is re-signed, which will be a big priority. we have a team option on Blair and if Boris comes back, he'll most likely be let go to cement our core for the season (Duncan/Splitter/Diaw/Bonner). we won't need a big and if we do, it'll have to be a veteran or raw young guy who can sit most of the season and spot minutes to bigs (this is where the Ryan Richards or that other dude we got from Indiana in the trade come in).

if we have money, we'll be looking to replace Danny Green if he leaves. that will be our biggest priority if it comes to free agents outside this team.
Quote:
I like the subtraction of Blair and addition of lorbek. However I would love to see the spurs retain Diaw after this season and even a bigger role for splitter next year in what will be his last year of contract I think. Although the spurs have fielded their deepest team ever this year, they can do it again next year I hope
Blair's option is for $1M. That's less than the veteran minimum. Why on earth would the Spurs not resign him? When money is a limiting factor in what a team can acquire, you don't just cut talent when it comes so cheap.

Last edited by b1gdon; 04-29-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Blair's option is for $1M. That's less than the veteran minimum. Why on earth would the Spurs not resign him? When money is a limiting factor in what a team can acquire, you don't just cut talent when it comes so cheap.
Agree. You won't be able to find a big (albeit short, for the oxymoronish of the group) guy for that money.
He should not be a starter. He should be a 15-20 minute energy rebounder. Like Bonner is a 15-20 floor spreading shooter. Define the role, and live with it.

Of course, Blair is always on the trade table. If another team can help fill a need for an energy rebounder, do it. A second round pick isn't enough.
Old 04-29-12, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This guy is not spurs material.you know his nick name is no show ROY.
Old 04-29-12, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Blair would be expendable (unless we trade him for a low 2nd round pick) if we re-sign Diaw and look to bring in a prospect from overseas in. the question that's gonna linger with Blair is will he accept being the 4th/5th big off the bench?

what the Spurs also have to look into (and the fans who discuss it is), even if Blair comes cheap, what about height like vs. the Lakers or when we need legit help defense in the paint? if we keep Diaw/Splitter/Bonner with Duncan, we can find a 5th big for the vet minimum. Blair doesn't bring more than what Tiago does on the offensive end and a guy like Splitter brings more on defense than Blair (same with Bonner and Diaw). Blair doesn't have a lot of talent or skill besides being a cutter (he doesn't even set a pick for our ball handler, that's why we struggled vs. LA).
Old 04-29-12, 05:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
My dream lineup

PG - Parker. . . Mills. . . DeColo. . . Joseph
SG - Green. . . Ginobili . . . Neal
SF - Leonard . . Jackson
PF - Duncan . . .Diaw
C - Splitter . . . Lorbek . . . Bonner

Now there is one roster spot left. The question is is Blair good enough for that roster spot?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Agree. You won't be able to find a big (albeit short, for the oxymoronish of the group) guy for that money.
He should not be a starter. He should be a 15-20 minute energy rebounder. Like Bonner is a 15-20 floor spreading shooter. Define the role, and live with it.

Of course, Blair is always on the trade table. If another team can help fill a need for an energy rebounder, do it. A second round pick isn't enough.
Good point on the value for the money. I would trade him for a late 1st round pick in a heartbeat. Maybe Blair and Joseph for a early/mid 1st round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
This guy is not spurs material.you know his nick name is no show ROY.
Remember, he is only 23. I think it all boils down to wether or not we can find a better player for that 15th roster spot. I think we won't.
Old 07-27-12, 03:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
My dream lineup

PG - Parker. . . Mills. . . DeColo. . . Joseph
SG - Green. . . Ginobili . . . Neal
SF - Leonard . . Jackson
PF - Duncan . . .Diaw
C - Splitter . . . Lorbek . . . Bonner

Now there is one roster spot left. The question is is Blair good enough for that roster spot?

Good point on the value for the money. I would trade him for a late 1st round pick in a heartbeat. Maybe Blair and Joseph for a early/mid 1st round pick.

Remember, he is only 23. I think it all boils down to wether or not we can find a better player for that 15th roster spot. I think we won't.
Except for Lorbek, it looks like your roster prediction from back in April was a good one!