News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-12, 03:52 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

I've said it before.... To the media, the Spurs are..

The Usual Suspects.. The Usual Suspects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've said it before that Timmy was Keyser Soze, "the greatest Trick [Timmy] ever pulled was making people believe he doesn't exist."
I first said that about Timmy before the '07 Title run searching the forum for past posts. Fast forward to today, five years later, now its the whole team, , not just Timmy, that play the mythical mastermind. To that end, maybe that is why media doesn't cover the Spurs. They treat the Spurs like they don't exist.

Further, Pop probably prefers it that way which is why us fans always say we like the Spurs "flyin-g under the radar." Can you really fly under the radar when you are A) The highest scoring team in the league with the best record? B) Have the longest winning streak in the league twice at eleven as well as the longest current streak? Apparently you can..

I looked up what I wrote and remembered this article from Bill Simmons about Timmy being underrated. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba

I love a line that Simmons wrote in that article, but the fact that the original line was penned in '07 still applies today albeit with a few updates. Simmons wrote, Duncan has never played for a dominant team; the Spurs have never had quite enough talent to roll through the league. Trapped at the top of the standings, they've been forced to rely on others' failed lottery picks (traded pick Leonard-NO WAY A FAILURE but worth less to Indy than getting Hill. Dejuan Blair- a projected lottery pick before discovering he has no ACLs), foreign rookies (Tiago Splitter who is world's better this year than last, Patty Mills, okay a foreign star, but not a rookie), journeymen (Matt Bonner, Danny Green)and head cases with baggage (Diaw,SJax). His best teammates have been David Robinson (who turned 33 in Duncan's rookie year), Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker .

The Spurs THIS YEAR are dominating and surprisingly they have done it by changing who they used to be during the title years from a walk up, limit possession, play suffocating defense to an uptempo, get out and run team led by Tony Parker with Timmy and Manu gladly playing supporting actors. Pop should easily get Coach of the Year for recognizing that the way to win in Today's NBA is by playing small ball with long wing players who can do it all and big men willing to run. Its almost funny how some of us use to curse Pop for this small ball when it was really a .04 shot and a silly Manu foul in '06 that prevented a FIVEpeat. (Take that laker fan even though you won't.)

They have rolled through the league with the only hiccups being when they were trying to work in the new players with an early road schedule or when one of the big three wasn't playing which was almost always the case. Since the all star break, they have the best record with their only noted defeats being their zombie episode the first game vs. the lakers, and trying to work Manu back in vs. the bulls.

I don't want to look past the jazz so I won't. Getting past round one has many pundits calling that an accomplishment for our beloved black and silver. Yet we all know that Timmy, Tony and Manu set their sights much higher, namely gold ball number five... I like their chances.

What does this all really mean my fellow Spurs fans?
Nothing to those who don't follow this team because they continue to think of them as
A) Boring
B) Old
C) Foreign
D) Small Market
E) No Drama, just basketball
F) Fill in your own blank.

NBA Finals dream scenario for espn would NOT be Spurs vs. heat, where lebron not winning the title be the top story while the Spurs are floating down the riverwalk.... That would be awesome... For me, the dream is No. 5 regardless of who they play. I feel they can play any team and win, but first step is utah... And so it begins... Go Go!
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-12, 03:59 PM
Play-By-Play Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tango from San Diego View Post
The Usual Suspects.. The Usual Suspects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've said it before that Timmy was Keyser Soze, "the greatest Trick [Timmy] ever pulled was making people believe he doesn't exist."
I first said that about Timmy before the '07 Title run searching the forum for past posts. Fast forward to today, five years later, now its the whole team, , not just Timmy, that play the mythical mastermind. To that end, maybe that is why media doesn't cover the Spurs. They treat the Spurs like they don't exist.

Further, Pop probably prefers it that way which is why us fans always say we like the Spurs "flying under the radar." Can you really fly under the radar when you are A) The highest scoring team in the league with the best record? B) Have the longest winning streak in the league twice at eleven as well as the longest current streak? Apparently you can..

I looked up what I wrote and remembered this article from Bill Simmons about Timmy being underrated. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba

I love a line that Simmons wrote in that article, but the fact that the original line was penned in '07 still applies today albeit with a few updates. Simmons wrote, Duncan has never played for a dominant team; the Spurs have never had quite enough talent to roll through the league. Trapped at the top of the standings, they've been forced to rely on others' failed lottery picks (traded pick Leonard-NO WAY A FAILURE but worth less to Indy than getting Hill. Dejuan Blair- a projected lottery pick before discovering he has no ACLs), foreign rookies (Tiago Splitter who is world's better this year than last, Patty Mills, okay a foreign star, but not a rookie), journeymen (Matt Bonner, Danny Green)and head cases with baggage (Diaw,SJax). His best teammates have been David Robinson (who turned 33 in Duncan's rookie year), Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker .

The Spurs THIS YEAR are dominating. They have rolled through the league with the only hiccups being when they were trying to work in the new players with an early road schedule or when one of the big three wasn't playing which was almost always the case. Since the all star break, they have the best record with their only noted defeats being their zombie episode the first game vs. the lakers, and trying to work Manu back in vs. the bulls.

I don't want to look past the jazz so I won't. Getting past round one has many pundits calling that an accomplishment for our beloved black and silver. Yet we all know that Timmy, Tony and Manu set their sights much higher, namely gold ball number five... I like their chances.

What does this all really mean my fellow Spurs fans?
Nothing to those who don't follow this team because they continue to think of them as
A) Boring
B) Old
C) Foreign
D) Small Market
E) No Drama, just basketball
F) Fill in your own blank.

NBA Finals dream scenario for espn would NOT be Spurs vs. heat, where lebron not winning the title be the top story while the Spurs are floating down the riverwalk.... That would be awesome... For me, the dream is No. 5 regardless of who they play. I feel they can play any team and win, but first step is utah... And so it begins... Go :Spurs Go!
This +1000000000000000. Couldn't say it better than that especially the end. Don't care who we play just want number 5. Utah first.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-12, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

So, you are comparing Timmy to the devil? (Soze reference)
That's a bit strong.

I find it humorous that, depending on the post, Spurs fans either want to
1. Fly under the radar
2. Complain about lack of national coverage

Some posts even manage to include both!

Regardless of intentions, desires or requirements, the playoffs start this weekend.
16 wins are all that's needed.

Like Joe, I like the Spurs' chances. No guarantees, but a healthy team has as good a chance as any. HCA throughout the West. Only CHI in the East can beat it.
Let it begin.
Old 04-25-12, 04:43 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
So, you are comparing Timmy to the devil? (Soze reference)
That's a bit strong.

I find it humorous that, depending on the post, Spurs fans either want to
1. Fly under the radar
2. Complain about lack of national coverage

Some posts even manage to include both!

Regardless of intentions, desires or requirements, the playoffs start this weekend.
16 wins are all that's needed.

Like Joe, I like the Spurs' chances. No guarantees, but a healthy team has as good a chance as any. HCA throughout the West. Only CHI in the East can beat it.
Let it begin.
KSF, Timmy is not the devil and I don't use the reference literally. My comparison is how the Media, even though the Spurs are right in front of them, they do NOT SEE them, and the Spurs probably do their best to keep it that way, that is as well as a team can winning like they are doing now.

The thing that really bothers me is that the question always brought up by the media is

"The Spurs were #1 last year, what happened and why won't it happen again this year?"

As if what happens one year has any real bearing as to what happens this year. Pardon me for giving props to the mavs, but most people had them knocked out by the blazers in round one. Proved those people wrong didn't they?

cowherd on sportsnation asked former NBA exec Tom Penn if he believes the Spurs could go through grizzlies/thunder/heat with the main cogs still being older? Penn stated unequivocally "YES". cowherd looked sheepish and admitted he would be eating a lot of crow if this were to happen. To which Penn said, there will be plenty to go around...

Two more things, the Spurs still have a chance at getting the top overall seed from the bulls. They have to play the pacers who want to send a message that they will be a force to reckon with in the playoffs. C'mon G. Hill, help your old team out.
Lost in all this is the Spurs have a chance to continue their streak of winning at least 50 games. They would have to win out, but there is a chance. A streak that was only interrupted by the strike shortened season of '99 where they only played 50 games. That season would have prorated to a 61 win team by the way, while this season it would prorate to 62 wins should they win 50 games. The season before '99 was Timmy's rookie year and the Spurs won over 50 games.

Still, the only thing that matters is the trophy as we all know. Pop maybe mum about a lot of things, but he doesn't need to tell us what his ultimate goal. At the end of the day, we all agree...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~
Old 04-26-12, 03:56 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

The regular season is just about done. What’s your favorite story – whether it had a big headline or not – of 2011-12?

Blogtable: Favorite Story Of 2011-12

Fran Blinebury: Zombies. The Walking Dead. The San Antonio Spurs. Every time we bury them, they come back to bite us and now they’re growling and hungry going into the playoffs.

Scott Howard-Cooper: Jeremy Lin is a good one. But there is something about the Spurs of 2011-12 that hooks me. The way Popovich has merged youth with the big-name veterans, the way Tony Parker has advanced his game, the way management made a series of in-season moves, the way the roster overcame the lengthy absence of Manu Ginobili and still finished with the best record in the West. Never saw this coming.
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~
Old 04-26-12, 08:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Spurs are the distant thunder on the horizon of the NBA. They are coming. They won't stop. Ignore them at your peril.

The Spurs are like the exclusive club, the secret society, that outsiders only have a vague awareness of how wonderful it might be, but that those on the inside can't imagine being without.

$
Old 04-26-12, 03:27 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

I have been scanning websites looking for intelligent comments regarding the Spurs.

Here are two from a site that I feel is a mostly infiltrated by younger males that are big market fans like the lakers.. Still, I said these are intelligent comments that I wholeheartedly agree with..

From Chuck--The Spurs get unfairly called a boring team. I love that if you want to see other teams get past the Spurs, it will take everything they got to take them out.

Well Chuck, I don't fell that any team can get past the Spurs, but one step at a time. And the jazz are up...

From Sean-- You better look at your lakers team before u look at the Spurs as falling down because of age and cant get up (haha).. The lakers are the team on their way out. Look at last year, why u think phil left, he saw the end of the tunnel. This year, the lakers are out by 1st or 2nd round.
The Spurs have started youth rebuilding 2 yrs ago, just look at their roster age. They are the best in the business at drafting and finding talent. Who do you think built OKC? Their GM who used to be with the Spurs scouting department. The lakers have been one of the worst at drafting talent in the kobe era.

Yo Sean, astute observations. I've been wondering how far the Pop tree extends. $4ZERO was talking about the Spurs being like a secret society but that society extends beyond the Spurs with seedlings sprouting up in areas like okc, bos, even the lakers... Still, the root of this tree is firmly planted in South Texas near the Alamo...

GO GO!
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~
Old 04-26-12, 04:50 PM
The Eternal Optimist

I have always said the silly Many foul never occurs, IF the Finley tech that was rescinded in game four had allowed the game to be reversed. (Remember Pop asking if they were going to change the outcome?)
Old 04-26-12, 05:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Joe, please note the . I know you weren't calling Timmy the devil. They only say that in Boston

The roll that the Spurs have been riding is '99 scary. You don't finish a season 23-3 (before the GSW game) without damn near everyone on the team stepping up at some point. I can't say what CHI has been doing to maintain without Rose, but they have to feel just as good.

I will take a Pop coached, Timmy led, Manu from the bench and Parker with the DEADLY mid range shot team over anyone in the league right now.*
And the bench just rocks.

*(This from a guy who has HOU as his second favorite team, and who's Rockets just spit up a bit so bad that the bit embedded itself in a cinder wall. Maybe I'm just reaching)
Old 04-26-12, 06:10 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

You are so wicked right about boston... I would like to think that chicago having to reintegrate derrick rose will be harder for them because I still think rose has health issues even now, but the east is for later. The Spurs are on a roll and everyone is healthy save a stinger for Gary Neal, but hopefully he will be ready to go Sunday...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~
Old 05-02-12, 04:42 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

I love this quote from ty corbin, jazz coach regarding the Spurs

Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin wants better effort, intensity in Game 2 | Deseret News

Going into Game Two, Asked what poison he'd prefer to take against Parker, Corbin said that the Jazz would prefer to make Parker beat the Jazz with his jumpshots.

That, Corbin said, is better than allowing him to get on top of the basket or into the lane where he can break the Jazz's defense down.

"He's a good player. He's going to make adjustments," Corbin said. "He's capable of hitting jump shots. He's capable of getting to the basket. We just have to make sure we give him different looks."

And then hope that Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and the wide variety of other weapons the Spurs and 2012 NBA coach of the year Gregg Popovich have in their arsenal don't kill them.
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
~Hannibal~