News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-14-12, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Patty Mills

Dude,I know you're trying to make am impression but that doesn't mean jack up every shot, every chance you get, you have a team pass it you are a point guard, it might be a blow out but still c'mon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-12, 02:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Living in Portland, that's his M.O. He did it here (in Portland) he'll do it for the Spurs, that's just who he is.

It can be a good thing, when the team is playing flat, or gets down by double digits, you can throw him in there and if he gets hot, he can bring the energy or get the crowd going....but when he's off, he just KILLS you, because he stops the ball movement, he misses several shots or tries to force things causing turnovers and the next thing you know...that 10 point deficit is now 25.

S
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-12, 06:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he is like JJ Barea. He made the three at the end of the quarter when the anouncers were trying to say that PHX was getting back in the game.

He said Oh no they aren't.
Old 04-15-12, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think Mills is doing pretty well. He moves the ball up and down and pushes the tempo with Tony Sitting. I really did like the back court of Mills and Neal, running pick and rolls and being able to fire from the 3pt line. I do think Mills and Diaw need the rest of the season to get fully acclimated into the Spurs system, corresponding with limiting Tim and Tony's minutes before the playoff push.
Old 04-15-12, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Mills is an upgrade from what we had in TJ Ford since he has a superior outside shot and has good quickness. He's definitely an upgrade from our plan of using Neal as a backup PG since Neal can't dribble his way out of a paperbag. He has confidence in his shot and he can hit them. He is the newest Spur and I'm sure that he still has not fully adjusted to the system. I think he'll distribute more once he gets comfortable.
Old 04-15-12, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Saw the game and looked like he passed the ball more than he shot it. Maybe he was talking about Gary Neal? Mills looks like he's doing a very descent job. He runs the offense better than Neal in my opinion. He pushes the ball and looks to pass, and if he comes of a pick he looks to shot. Popovich says if you're open shoot, or you're coming out.
Old 04-15-12, 02:17 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

LOVE what I saw from Mills. I don't know if he might took a couple of ill advised shots but he is still learning the Spurs system and I would not take it against him now.

I really would like Mills to start vs the lakers on Tuesday or come first thing off that bench if we see our Guards have that FREEZING trend vs the stupid lakers front court...

I don't see Mills bowing to the majesty of lakers front court. I see him as a FEARLESS STRONG MINDED COMPETITOR who will def help us big time come PO time....
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 04-15-12, 05:40 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

I'm sure Pop will show him the film, and explain to him... "Son... that's not the Spurs way".

Old 04-16-12, 01:55 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I like him more than I did ANY back-up point guard since Speedy Clax!
Old 04-16-12, 08:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvernblackfan View Post
Dude,I know you're trying to make am impression but that doesn't mean jack up every shot, every chance you get, you have a team pass it you are a point guard, it might be a blow out but still c'mon
I have to agree - def. seems like he's jacking up a shot every time. Would like to see him run the offense under a bit more of control, even in blowouts, to practice running the point guard position.
Old 04-16-12, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I can tell you this.. It wouldn't be happening unless Pop okayed it... So maybe there is a reason why it is happening?
Old 04-16-12, 10:35 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Yeah, I don't think Mills is out of control out there. He is a score first PG like Tony.
Old 04-16-12, 12:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I've watched every game in entirety that Mills has played for us and he has taken a few quick shots that I'm sure Pop will tell him about, but for the most part he has played the position well. In the Phoenix game most of his shots were open shots except for maybe 2 or 3. Also remember we were up by about 30 when he was playing. Pop likes him though because he hustles his ass off on the defensive end of the court.

Last edited by gwilly101; 04-16-12 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
I can tell you this.. It wouldn't be happening unless Pop okayed it... So maybe there is a reason why it is happening?
i agree. once the first shot happened and if it truly irked Pop, he would've benched him. the problem people will have if they say "Mills doesn't run the offense well enough" would have to deal with Neal doing the exact same thing.
Old 04-16-12, 02:03 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

You know what I hated? When he scored 5 points in about 2 seconds, hitting the 3 from the corner and then stealing the inbounds and hitting the layup. Man, let somebody else make a play for once!
Old 04-16-12, 03:56 PM
The Master Baiter

Pop likes the fearless shooters, otherwise guys like Neal, Jackson, and Mills wouldn't be there.
Old 04-16-12, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Pop likes the fearless shooters, otherwise guys like Neal, Jackson, and Mills wouldn't be there.
Yes, which makes the Bonner Disappearing in April and Playoff games vexing.

Playoffs

32.3% (20-for-62) on three-pointers.
Reg Season
42.7% (443-for-1038).

Three-Point Shooting in Aprils
April 2012: 33.3% (10-for-30)
April 2011: 33.3% (8-for-24)
April 2010: 36.8% (14-for-38)
April 2009: 37.9% (11-for-29)
April 2008: 25.0% (3-for-12)
April 2007: 25.0% (4-for-16)

As a Spur, Bonner is 50-for-149 (33.6%) on three-pointers in April during the regular season. In the playoffs, he's 20-for-62 (32.3%) on three-pointers. The rest of the time, Bonner shoots 42.7% (443-for-1038).

Career splits:
Bonner Three-Point Percentage
November: 46.3%
December: 42.5%
January: 41.4%
February: 45.3%
March: 40.4%
April: 34.7%

I don't mind the fall off of production but there are very distinct times he doesn't shoot the ball with an open look.

I also contribute the fall in production to the apposing D scouting him more and closing in on him better in April and especially in the playoffs.

Somebody get this guy a one on one with Tony Robbins STAT.

[yt]
[/yt]
Old 04-16-12, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
agreed. this year will be interesting to see how Blair/Diaw are in the rotation since they're not much shooters (well Blair obviously not).

with guys like Parker/Neal/Mills/Ginobili/Jackson/Green/Duncan/heck even Bonner, many possibilities when we need a shot
Old 04-16-12, 05:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Do any of you really think, knowing Pop, that Mills will see one meaningful minute in this year's playoffs? He's too young and inexperienced and with Manu, Parker, Jackson, Green and Neal in the rotation, he's extraneous
Old 04-16-12, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Do any of you really think, knowing Pop, that Mills will see one meaningful minute in this year's playoffs? He's too young and inexperienced and with Manu, Parker, Jackson, Green and Neal in the rotation, he's extraneous
Nope I don't think he will see the court at all and if he does then the Spurs are in deep doo doo.

It was in my Play off rotations post.
http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...ml#post1270791 (Play-off rotation)

Last edited by Rodny21a; 04-16-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
i do if teams decide to full court press Neal in the backcourt like we've seen a few times this year (and leading to turnovers).

Mills has the speed to overcome full court presses. if we weren't going to depend on Mills at all in the playoffs, we would've looked for someone in a one year deal and a veteran in case of needed leadership. it's not entirely out of the question to think Neal might be our 3rd PG (like he was destined to be behind GH3 when we first signed him).

remember, Mills isn't a rookie by any means. he played with Portland and he played overseas, so it's not like he's a newbie to the NBA, something that Pop looks into when he does sit new guys.
Old 04-16-12, 09:25 PM
The Eternal Optimist

I think this year more than any other, Pop will guage his rotation on who they are playing. Mills suf:-) ficientz experience o play as needed.he and other willasi required. As in other post, some games could require more Diaw and less Blair.
Old 04-17-12, 11:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
i do if teams decide to full court press Neal in the backcourt like we've seen a few times this year (and leading to turnovers).

Mills has the speed to overcome full court presses. if we weren't going to depend on Mills at all in the playoffs, we would've looked for someone in a one year deal and a veteran in case of needed leadership. it's not entirely out of the question to think Neal might be our 3rd PG (like he was destined to be behind GH3 when we first signed him).

remember, Mills isn't a rookie by any means. he played with Portland and he played overseas, so it's not like he's a newbie to the NBA, something that Pop looks into when he does sit new guys.
That situation only really would come about if Manu is starting, but with him coming off the bench, I don't anticipate many minutes where one of Manu or Tony isn't on the floor. There are 96 minutes at the two guard positions. Parker and Ginobili will command at least 70 which leaves 26 minutes to split between Green, Neal, and Mills. That works out to only 3.25 min / qtr if you give them to only Green and Neal. Baring injuries or blowouts, there just isn't much of a role for that 11th/12th man on the roster in the playoffs.

The only situations where I see Mills touching the floor are if Green or Neal are completely ineffective, blowouts, or if there is an injury. Baring that, I just don't see where he fits in this year.

Last edited by b1gdon; 04-17-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bonner would have to appear, in order to disappear.

Ok so I hijacked the thread to make it a bash ginger thread but it's getting to be about that time of year.
Old 04-17-12, 05:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Bonner would have to appear, in order to disappear.

Ok so I hijacked the thread to make it a bash ginger thread but it's getting to be about that time of year.
It's also getting to be about that time for me to start thinking...you know Matty B's been playing so well. Maybe this year will be different!!!