News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-12, 12:46 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Metta World Peace (Artest) says back pain nearly led to retirement!

LINK

After dropping a season-high 26 points in the Lakers’ 98-84 win in San Antonio on Wednesday, Metta World Peace revealed that he considered retiring before the season because of a lumbar disorder in his lower back.

World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest, told reporters that he played with back pain through last season and that it limited motion in his legs and feet, as well as his jumping ability.

"I just thought my body was maybe messed up," World Peace said, per ESPN.com. "I was like, 'Yeah, 15 years (in the NBA) is a lot of years. I got two more years on my contract and I could potentially be done.'"

The back issue may help explain the drop in World Peace’s production. He averaged 8.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game and shot 39.7 percent from the field last season, all career lows—until this season, that is, as he’s averaging just 7.1 points on 39.1 percent shooting. He’s improved in April, however, with a 14.3 points per game average and 54.2 percent shooting over seven games this month.

Lakers trainer Gary Vitti referred World Peace to a nerve doctor in May, but because of the lockout, which began July 1, the player could not rehab with the help of the Lakers medical staff. Partly because of this, World Peace came into training camp 25-30 pounds overweight and his back still an issue.

"Now I'm getting in more shape every day," World Peace said, according to ESPN.

Added Lakers coach Mike Brown, "He's extremely engaged. ... He's locked in right now."

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-12, 12:57 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Anyone with back pain knows and can empathize with him, no matter how much you may not like him. Just hope it was not a coming out party. If so, it could make the Lakers one of the more lethal playoff teams along with the Spurs.

Just for the record, I pick ithe Spurs to win it all. If they should not win the west, I think the the winner comes out of the east.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-12, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Anyone with back pain knows and can empathize with him, no matter how much you may not like him. Just hope it was not a coming out party. If so, it could make the Lakers one of the more lethal playoff teams along with the Spurs.

Just for the record, I pick ithe Spurs to win it all. If they should not win the west, I think the the winner comes out of the east.
Maybe we can have Greg Williams give one of his patented "motivational speeches" to the Spurs before we play the Lakers next week

'We hit [expletive] RonRon right there' – then he points at his back [and continues] – 'remember me.' Then he rubs his thumb against his index and middle fingers – the cash sign – and says, 'I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that [expletive] out.'

Last edited by b1gdon; 04-14-12 at 04:16 PM.