News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-13-12, 05:29 PM

Nando De Colo Ready For NBA

The Spurs drafted Nando De Colo back in 2009, hoping their streak of success with foreign-born players would continue. Since then, he hasn’t been ready to make the leap to the NBA and he’s been playing for the Spanish League team Valencia.

This summer, his contract will be up and he says he may finally be ready to play in the NBA. For now, he’s focused on finishing out his season, but after that remains up in the air.

Nando De Colo ready for NBA | April
Old 04-13-12, 07:07 PM
Banned

Going to be a potentially interesting summer league for the Spurs this off season...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-12, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Going to be a potentially interesting summer league for the Spurs this off season...
With all these PGs and supposedly a weak PG selection in the draft, someone is likely a bargaining chip this summer. DeColo is listed at 6'-5".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-12, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
With all these PGs and supposedly a weak PG selection in the draft, someone is likely a bargaining chip this summer. DeColo is listed at 6'-5".
either that or we could just release Neal or Mills since they're small contracts (unlikely, but a last case scenario). the interesting part will be if De Colo can play any shooting guard at his height where Green may become expendable.

even though we have Joseph in Austin, he's not a given to come to the Spurs and because Neal/Mills are low salaries, we can always trade them for a 2nd round pick.

the only scenario i hope doesn't happen is a Luis Scola deal where we give him up and get nothing in return (by nothing, i mean Jackie Butler)
Old 04-13-12, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Spurs will package De Colo , Blair and Neal and future first round pick to get a shot blocker .
Old 04-13-12, 11:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
The Spurs will package De Colo , Blair and Neal and future first round pick to get a shot blocker .
That's got to be some shot blocker then.

- Confucius
Old 04-14-12, 06:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

He is staying stashed away in Europe for now. Watch.
Old 04-14-12, 07:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think he takes Neal's spot. He'll be a better defender for us purely out of size. Mills is essentially Neal with ball skills, making Neal expendable. DeColo could play alongside Manu, Mills, or Green in the backcourt (Mills would play the SG). Only guy I think he would have difficulty playing with is Parker since DeColo is not a pure spread the floor type shooter.

On the block this summer will be Neal, Joseph, and hopefully Bonner. Blair is a maybe, depending on the offers and the readiness of Richards and/or Lorbek.
Old 04-14-12, 08:39 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I think a lot of you are dicounting what Neal does. THE DUDE HAS ICE IN HIS VEINS. Sure, he hasn't played well as off late but he's one of the few players that I would trust in a close game during the playoffs. People seem to forget that. Mills is NOT Neal. Just beacuse he's had a few good games doesn't mean he gonna perform like Neal will in the PO. Something to think about
Old 04-14-12, 10:38 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Neal is playing out of position still. He is a SG and not a PG. Everybody loved him last year but how much PG did he play last year? Like ZERO!
Old 04-14-12, 12:21 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Agree with "pick two from these three" thinking between Joseph, Mills, and De Colo. How much will the Olympics play into this? More so than other times perhaps, considering the Spurs ties with players and coaches of the respective teams.
Old 04-14-12, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Ok, I think Neal will have to be traded eventually cuz he will demand more money once his contract is up. I also think D. Green has replaced Hill in POP's eyes for favorite player on the roster. He has him on the court slashing, handling the ball more, and drawing up end of quarter plays for him when Manu wasn't on the floor.
Old 04-14-12, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I think a lot of you are dicounting what Neal does. THE DUDE HAS ICE IN HIS VEINS. Sure, he hasn't played well as off late but he's one of the few players that I would trust in a close game during the playoffs. People seem to forget that. Mills is NOT Neal. Just beacuse he's had a few good games doesn't mean he gonna perform like Neal will in the PO. Something to think about
the problem with Neal being an undersized SG is when we're down in games, his defense isn't something that brings us back during a offensive drought. he also likes to pick and pop a 3 during transition when he's wide open and can't handle the rock.

if Nando is anything like advertised around online (or half the fraction on here), you have to take a tall PG who can D up (especially the shorter, slower backup PG's).

we have Manu/Parker/Jackson/Duncan who are considered clutch players. we really wouldn't play Neal with those guys in a clutch situation (unless Jax is the PF)
Old 04-14-12, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Neal and Green are part of the new generation of Spurs players. They aren't going anywhere soon. Sorry guys.

And for anyone who thinks the Sours are going to give a roster spot to an un proven rookie who THINKS he is ready for the NBA, they need to wake up.

SA didn't go out and sign Patty "Parker Jr" Mills for this year and next without good reason and without taking into consideration what they were going to do with De Colo.

Last man out here is Corey Joseph, who becomes -- like De Colo -- another development project for at least another year or two.
Old 04-14-12, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Neal and Green are part of the new generation of Spurs players. They aren't going anywhere soon. Sorry guys.

And for anyone who thinks the Spurs are going to give a roster spot to an un proven rookie who THINKS he is ready for the NBA, they need to wake up.

SA didn't go out and sign Patty "Parker Jr" Mills for this year and next without good reason and without taking into consideration what they were going to do with De Colo.

Last man out here is Corey Joseph, who becomes -- like De Colo -- another development project for at least another year or two.
a young Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Beno Udrih, George Hill? heck we gave a roster spot to a 6'6" PF who dropped tremendously for having no knees and being extremely short for his position.

you like Neal, that's cool, but "he's a new generation of Spurs that's not going anywhere" isn't a valid argument. no one here thought we'd trade George Hill for an unproven rookie in Kawhi Leonard last year for anyone because he "was our future"
Old 04-14-12, 04:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Draft Royce White!
iowa
Old 04-14-12, 05:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
a young Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Beno Udrih, George Hill? heck we gave a roster spot to a 6'6" PF who dropped tremendously for having no knees and being extremely short for his position.

you like Neal, that's cool, but "he's a new generation of Spurs that's not going anywhere" isn't a valid argument. no one here thought we'd trade George Hill for an unproven rookie in Kawhi Leonard last year for anyone because he "was our future"
Neal is the reason George Hill isn't here. If Neal didn't outplay hill, we wouldn't have Kawhi Leonard.

Your argument is based on a false premise. Tony, Manu, Beno, Hill, and Blair all got roster spots because that spot was totaly void of talent. There were no proven Gary Neals to fill the spot that Tony filled (Yes, Neal is better than Antonio Daniels), Manu Ginobili (he started only because we didn't re-sigh Jax), Beno (he replaced Speedy Claxton who left for a bigger contract), and we all know that there was no one when we drafted Blair (still no one in my book).

We aren't getting rid of Neal. Neal is a backup SG, so Nando would only push Neal back to his natural position, and Nando would be competing with Mills and Joseph for a roster spot if he wants to play in the NBA.
Old 04-14-12, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The Spurs drafted Nando De Colo back in 2009, hoping their streak of success with foreign-born players would continue. Since then, he hasn’t been ready to make the leap to the NBA and he’s been playing for the Spanish League team Valencia.

This summer, his contract will be up and he says he may finally be ready to play in the NBA. For now, he’s focused on finishing out his season, but after that remains up in the air.

Nando De Colo ready for NBA | April
Will be interesting. Thanks Jose!
Old 04-14-12, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
Draft Royce White!
iowa
Is he related to James White?

That would be awesome!
Old 04-14-12, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Seems to me that more that 50% of Jose's premises are like this.

Exactly.
:applause

although Nando is added insurance in case they can't keep Green or he is traded for something in some type of package because on the French National team that he plays on with Parker he "fills in" the Manu Roll adequately .

If you loose green for nothing you still have Stephen Jackson as added insurance and he can play the shooting guard spot, he is clutch, he "makes love to pressure", and he is at least 6'8".
I actually find my self agreeing with Jose much of the time.
Old 04-14-12, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Jose going off again. What a tantrum.
oh no! i'm being attacked in the forum!

Quote:
Neal is under contract next year. So he is probably not going anywhere.
just because someone is under contract, doesn't mean they'll still be here. yes i even said we can trade Neal. of course you don't read, you're too busy making lovely pictures with captions that make people LOLZ

(btw probably means = not sure. just letting you know)

Quote:
Green is a restricted free agent. He has proven himself this year as a capable NBA player and has started for a majority of the Games for a Team that is likely to finish with best record in the NBA.
wow, so has Blair and he's started. so what's up with this "get off him of the court" stuff you speak of? *cue WhatABurger picture you made and the "give him a gold medal for a lifetime achievement award and get him off the court" comment*

Quote:
They will make every effort to sign him however there will be other teams who may offer him more than what the spurs are willing to pay. So unless they(not Jose, not Guapo, not me but the Spurs organization--Pop, Buford, Holt, ect) see him as having the potential to be a long term "spurs guy" he may leave next season.
they'll make every effort to sign him....even if it means being at $48 million and maybe needing more positions signed? unless he's the next coming of Manu Ginobili, i don't see us risking crap room for a over-average guy. we'll see his true grit come playoff time because even the Great George Hill was good in the regular season and we kind of let him go

Quote:
Nando De Colo is a pretty standard above average Euro leage Swing man. The one thing he is not is "the Next Manu Ginobili" He may not even be the "next Daniel Green", or the Next "Gary Neal".
we'll let the Spurs organization handle that. not me, not Guapo, and thankfully not you

Quote:
What he is, he is an "insurance" that they have the potential for a guy to step in if Green Isn't resigned or if he is signed and traded in some type of package that get the spurs a lottery pick in this coming draft. He is also familiar with the "spurs system" because he is on the French National Team that runs many of their plays.
great, link me to the article you read that on or go ahead and type one on Bleacher Report so we can take it as a fact.

A LOTTERY PICK FOR GREEN? why not just trade him for a pick in this talent heavy draft instead of re-signing him?

Quote:
Any Potential deals involving the any current spurs has to be for a lottery pick. Why would they want to "break in" a talented rookie into the spurs system in what is the last 2 year so of Timmy's championship window? Any lottery pick they may get isn't going to be a top 5, isn't going to be a top 10, and would likely be in the bottom third of "lottery Picks". Even then that player is not likely to be a successful a rookie as Leonard, Neal, Manu, or Parker.
the difference with that theory is De Colo falls into the Manu/Parker category of guys who were really good back in Europe and knew they'd fit with the team. Leonard was the real gamble because he was straight out of college with no pro experience. same with Neal, he played overseas.

Quote:
You've all been spoiled by the success of Leonard and forget what a gamble even lottery picks can be. Just look around the league.
wait what?

Quote:
If you look at the current roster objectively.(like the organization does) The spurs NEED a back up point guard. Patty mills may or may not be "that guy". Corey Joseph may be that guy in two years. That is why I said.
but Patty Mills has a guaranteed year next year, just like Neal. he won't be going anywhere?....wait....4 BACKUP PG'S THEN?!
Old 04-14-12, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Neal is the reason George Hill isn't here. If Neal didn't outplay hill, we wouldn't have Kawhi Leonard.

Your argument is based on a false premise. Tony, Manu, Beno, Hill, and Blair all got roster spots because that spot was totaly void of talent. There were no proven Gary Neals to fill the spot that Tony filled (Yes, Neal is better than Antonio Daniels), Manu Ginobili (he started only because we didn't re-sigh Jax), Beno (he replaced Speedy Claxton who left for a bigger contract), and we all know that there was no one when we drafted Blair (still no one in my book).

We aren't getting rid of Neal. Neal is a backup SG, so Nando would only push Neal back to his natural position, and Nando would be competing with Mills and Joseph for a roster spot if he wants to play in the NBA.

Neal didn't outplay Hill by any means. Neal may have hit a big shot or 2, but that wouldn't have him over Hill because of those 2 moments (heck Neal would've probably gotten us a better pick in the draft if he was really better than Hill in the playoffs).

with the roster spots, my point was Rodney said we wouldn't give a roster spot to any unproven rookie. we did give a spot to those young guys when we could've signed vets for cheap and shorter contracts in their place, so that argument by him doesn't make sense (even if they were up for grabs or not).

but i agree with you that Nando would be coming here and i don't think i'd even include Joseph in the conversation because we don't even have to bring him here next year if there's an interest (or a pick in next year's draft for a legit SG) in whatever type of deal and De Colo is here, Neal or Mills may both be gone (especially if we're in a rebuilding mode where you would bring in Joseph to play).
Old 04-14-12, 07:22 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

so there!

Old 04-15-12, 12:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well with it being Manu's last year next season I could see them use him in his place to help save Manu's minutes and to start having a transitioning of guards. I know he's been good over there but I just hope he can be good here too.
Old 04-15-12, 06:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can't wait for Chuck to yell "De Colo!"
Old 04-15-12, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think De Colo may come in to replace Anderson. Anderson is a young guy ready to play and get paid , leaving the 12th man spot open this summer. I can see De Colo coming in and filling that role and given the opportunity to compete for open spots. I don't know how good Nando is, but we should see.

I'll never try and guess the Spurs front office ; they are both reactionary and great long term strategists. So who ever really knows?
Old 04-15-12, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Neal didn't outplay Hill by any means. Neal may have hit a big shot or 2, but that wouldn't have him over Hill because of those 2 moments (heck Neal would've probably gotten us a better pick in the draft if he was really better than Hill in the playoffs).

with the roster spots, my point was Rodney said we wouldn't give a roster spot to any unproven rookie. we did give a spot to those young guys when we could've signed vets for cheap and shorter contracts in their place, so that argument by him doesn't make sense (even if they were up for grabs or not).

but i agree with you that Nando would be coming here and i don't think i'd even include Joseph in the conversation because we don't even have to bring him here next year if there's an interest (or a pick in next year's draft for a legit SG) in whatever type of deal and De Colo is here, Neal or Mills may both be gone (especially if we're in a rebuilding mode where you would bring in Joseph to play).
Maybe instead of me saying Neal "outplayed" hill, I should have just said that Neal gave Pop enough confidence in his abilities that Hill could be traded.
Old 04-16-12, 01:53 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Either way...

Quote:
Nando De Colo is a pretty standard above average Euro leage Swing man. The one thing he is not is "the Next Manu Ginobili" He may not even be the "next Daniel Green", or the Next "Gary Neal".
Old 04-16-12, 10:34 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

From what I have read I do not think much of de Colo. He thinks he is ready to give the NBA a try, but I don't read any more into it than that as far as whether we want him or he can be an impact player over here.