News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 04-13-12, 05:29 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511
Nando De Colo Ready For NBA

The Spurs drafted Nando De Colo back in 2009, hoping their streak of success with foreign-born players would continue. Since then, he hasn’t been ready to make the leap to the NBA and he’s been playing for the Spanish League team Valencia.

This summer, his contract will be up and he says he may finally be ready to play in the NBA. For now, he’s focused on finishing out his season, but after that remains up in the air.

Nando De Colo ready for NBA | April
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-12, 07:07 PM
Rodny21a's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269

Going to be a potentially interesting summer league for the Spurs this off season...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-12, 07:11 PM
Spurd_On's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: the next beam
Posts: 4,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Going to be a potentially interesting summer league for the Spurs this off season...
With all these PGs and supposedly a weak PG selection in the draft, someone is likely a bargaining chip this summer. DeColo is listed at 6'-5".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-12, 08:11 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
With all these PGs and supposedly a weak PG selection in the draft, someone is likely a bargaining chip this summer. DeColo is listed at 6'-5".
either that or we could just release Neal or Mills since they're small contracts (unlikely, but a last case scenario). the interesting part will be if De Colo can play any shooting guard at his height where Green may become expendable.

even though we have Joseph in Austin, he's not a given to come to the Spurs and because Neal/Mills are low salaries, we can always trade them for a 2nd round pick.

the only scenario i hope doesn't happen is a Luis Scola deal where we give him up and get nothing in return (by nothing, i mean Jackie Butler)
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-12, 11:10 PM
rooster's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 492

The Spurs will package De Colo , Blair and Neal and future first round pick to get a shot blocker .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-12, 11:22 PM
spurduncan21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Posts: 2,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
The Spurs will package De Colo , Blair and Neal and future first round pick to get a shot blocker .
That's got to be some shot blocker then.
__________________
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising in every time we fall”

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-12, 06:12 AM
Guapo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,268

He is staying stashed away in Europe for now. Watch.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-12, 07:21 AM
uthscsamd's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 504

I think he takes Neal's spot. He'll be a better defender for us purely out of size. Mills is essentially Neal with ball skills, making Neal expendable. DeColo could play alongside Manu, Mills, or Green in the backcourt (Mills would play the SG). Only guy I think he would have difficulty playing with is Parker since DeColo is not a pure spread the floor type shooter.

On the block this summer will be Neal, Joseph, and hopefully Bonner. Blair is a maybe, depending on the offers and the readiness of Richards and/or Lorbek.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-12, 08:39 AM
esparzar1's Avatar
President: K.Leo Fan Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,765

I think a lot of you are dicounting what Neal does. THE DUDE HAS ICE IN HIS VEINS. Sure, he hasn't played well as off late but he's one of the few players that I would trust in a close game during the playoffs. People seem to forget that. Mills is NOT Neal. Just beacuse he's had a few good games doesn't mean he gonna perform like Neal will in the PO. Something to think about
__________________
I think he's going to be a star. And as time goes on, he'll be the face of the Spurs, I think.--- Coach Pop on Leonard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-12, 10:38 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,893

Neal is playing out of position still. He is a SG and not a PG. Everybody loved him last year but how much PG did he play last year? Like ZERO!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-14-12, 12:21 PM
old timer's Avatar
The Eternal Optimist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: caldwell, tx
Posts: 2,129

Agree with "pick two from these three" thinking between Joseph, Mills, and De Colo. How much will the Olympics play into this? More so than other times perhaps, considering the Spurs ties with players and coaches of the respective teams.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-14-12, 12:27 PM
stuffedmushroomz's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Colo. Springs
Posts: 933

Ok, I think Neal will have to be traded eventually cuz he will demand more money once his contract is up. I also think D. Green has replaced Hill in POP's eyes for favorite player on the roster. He has him on the court slashing, handling the ball more, and drawing up end of quarter plays for him when Manu wasn't on the floor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-14-12, 12:34 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I think a lot of you are dicounting what Neal does. THE DUDE HAS ICE IN HIS VEINS. Sure, he hasn't played well as off late but he's one of the few players that I would trust in a close game during the playoffs. People seem to forget that. Mills is NOT Neal. Just beacuse he's had a few good games doesn't mean he gonna perform like Neal will in the PO. Something to think about
the problem with Neal being an undersized SG is when we're down in games, his defense isn't something that brings us back during a offensive drought. he also likes to pick and pop a 3 during transition when he's wide open and can't handle the rock.

if Nando is anything like advertised around online (or half the fraction on here), you have to take a tall PG who can D up (especially the shorter, slower backup PG's).

we have Manu/Parker/Jackson/Duncan who are considered clutch players. we really wouldn't play Neal with those guys in a clutch situation (unless Jax is the PF)
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-14-12, 12:35 PM
Guapo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,268

Neal and Green are part of the new generation of Spurs players. They aren't going anywhere soon. Sorry guys.

And for anyone who thinks the Sours are going to give a roster spot to an un proven rookie who THINKS he is ready for the NBA, they need to wake up.

SA didn't go out and sign Patty "Parker Jr" Mills for this year and next without good reason and without taking into consideration what they were going to do with De Colo.

Last man out here is Corey Joseph, who becomes -- like De Colo -- another development project for at least another year or two.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-14-12, 12:47 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Neal and Green are part of the new generation of Spurs players. They aren't going anywhere soon. Sorry guys.

And for anyone who thinks the Spurs are going to give a roster spot to an un proven rookie who THINKS he is ready for the NBA, they need to wake up.

SA didn't go out and sign Patty "Parker Jr" Mills for this year and next without good reason and without taking into consideration what they were going to do with De Colo.

Last man out here is Corey Joseph, who becomes -- like De Colo -- another development project for at least another year or two.
a young Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Beno Udrih, George Hill? heck we gave a roster spot to a 6'6" PF who dropped tremendously for having no knees and being extremely short for his position.

you like Neal, that's cool, but "he's a new generation of Spurs that's not going anywhere" isn't a valid argument. no one here thought we'd trade George Hill for an unproven rookie in Kawhi Leonard last year for anyone because he "was our future"
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-14-12, 04:06 PM
spursfan9's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,476

Draft Royce White!
iowa
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-14-12, 05:35 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
a young Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Beno Udrih, George Hill? heck we gave a roster spot to a 6'6" PF who dropped tremendously for having no knees and being extremely short for his position.

you like Neal, that's cool, but "he's a new generation of Spurs that's not going anywhere" isn't a valid argument. no one here thought we'd trade George Hill for an unproven rookie in Kawhi Leonard last year for anyone because he "was our future"
Neal is the reason George Hill isn't here. If Neal didn't outplay hill, we wouldn't have Kawhi Leonard.

Your argument is based on a false premise. Tony, Manu, Beno, Hill, and Blair all got roster spots because that spot was totaly void of talent. There were no proven Gary Neals to fill the spot that Tony filled (Yes, Neal is better than Antonio Daniels), Manu Ginobili (he started only because we didn't re-sigh Jax), Beno (he replaced Speedy Claxton who left for a bigger contract), and we all know that there was no one when we drafted Blair (still no one in my book).

We aren't getting rid of Neal. Neal is a backup SG, so Nando would only push Neal back to his natural position, and Nando would be competing with Mills and Joseph for a roster spot if he wants to play in the NBA.
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-14-12, 06:25 PM
Dulce's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
The Spurs drafted Nando De Colo back in 2009, hoping their streak of success with foreign-born players would continue. Since then, he hasn’t been ready to make the leap to the NBA and he’s been playing for the Spanish League team Valencia.

This summer, his contract will be up and he says he may finally be ready to play in the NBA. For now, he’s focused on finishing out his season, but after that remains up in the air.

Nando De Colo ready for NBA | April
Will be interesting. Thanks Jose!
__________________
No Asterisks in this life, it's all about scoreboard - Ari Gold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-14-12, 06:47 PM
katyspursfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
Draft Royce White!
iowa
Is he related to James White?

That would be awesome!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-14-12, 06:49 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Seems to me that more that 50% of Jose's premises are like this.




Exactly.
:applause

although Nando is added insurance in case they can't keep Green or he is traded for something in some type of package because on the French National team that he plays on with Parker he "fills in" the Manu Roll adequately .

If you loose green for nothing you still have Stephen Jackson as added insurance and he can play the shooting guard spot, he is clutch, he "makes love to pressure", and he is at least 6'8".
I actually find my self agreeing with Jose much of the time.
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-14-12, 07:01 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Jose going off again. What a tantrum.
oh no! i'm being attacked in the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Neal is under contract next year. So he is probably not going anywhere.
just because someone is under contract, doesn't mean they'll still be here. yes i even said we can trade Neal. of course you don't read, you're too busy making lovely pictures with captions that make people LOLZ

(btw probably means = not sure. just letting you know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Green is a restricted free agent. He has proven himself this year as a capable NBA player and has started for a majority of the Games for a Team that is likely to finish with best record in the NBA.
wow, so has Blair and he's started. so what's up with this "get off him of the court" stuff you speak of? *cue WhatABurger picture you made and the "give him a gold medal for a lifetime achievement award and get him off the court" comment*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
They will make every effort to sign him however there will be other teams who may offer him more than what the spurs are willing to pay. So unless they(not Jose, not Guapo, not me but the Spurs organization--Pop, Buford, Holt, ect) see him as having the potential to be a long term "spurs guy" he may leave next season.
they'll make every effort to sign him....even if it means being at $48 million and maybe needing more positions signed? unless he's the next coming of Manu Ginobili, i don't see us risking crap room for a over-average guy. we'll see his true grit come playoff time because even the Great George Hill was good in the regular season and we kind of let him go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Nando De Colo is a pretty standard above average Euro leage Swing man. The one thing he is not is "the Next Manu Ginobili" He may not even be the "next Daniel Green", or the Next "Gary Neal".
we'll let the Spurs organization handle that. not me, not Guapo, and thankfully not you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
What he is, he is an "insurance" that they have the potential for a guy to step in if Green Isn't resigned or if he is signed and traded in some type of package that get the spurs a lottery pick in this coming draft. He is also familiar with the "spurs system" because he is on the French National Team that runs many of their plays.
great, link me to the article you read that on or go ahead and type one on Bleacher Report so we can take it as a fact.

A LOTTERY PICK FOR GREEN? why not just trade him for a pick in this talent heavy draft instead of re-signing him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Any Potential deals involving the any current spurs has to be for a lottery pick. Why would they want to "break in" a talented rookie into the spurs system in what is the last 2 year so of Timmy's championship window? Any lottery pick they may get isn't going to be a top 5, isn't going to be a top 10, and would likely be in the bottom third of "lottery Picks". Even then that player is not likely to be a successful a rookie as Leonard, Neal, Manu, or Parker.
the difference with that theory is De Colo falls into the Manu/Parker category of guys who were really good back in Europe and knew they'd fit with the team. Leonard was the real gamble because he was straight out of college with no pro experience. same with Neal, he played overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
You've all been spoiled by the success of Leonard and forget what a gamble even lottery picks can be. Just look around the league.
wait what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
If you look at the current roster objectively.(like the organization does) The spurs NEED a back up point guard. Patty mills may or may not be "that guy". Corey Joseph may be that guy in two years. That is why I said.
but Patty Mills has a guaranteed year next year, just like Neal. he won't be going anywhere?....wait....4 BACKUP PG'S THEN?!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-14-12, 07:15 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Neal is the reason George Hill isn't here. If Neal didn't outplay hill, we wouldn't have Kawhi Leonard.

Your argument is based on a false premise. Tony, Manu, Beno, Hill, and Blair all got roster spots because that spot was totaly void of talent. There were no proven Gary Neals to fill the spot that Tony filled (Yes, Neal is better than Antonio Daniels), Manu Ginobili (he started only because we didn't re-sigh Jax), Beno (he replaced Speedy Claxton who left for a bigger contract), and we all know that there was no one when we drafted Blair (still no one in my book).

We aren't getting rid of Neal. Neal is a backup SG, so Nando would only push Neal back to his natural position, and Nando would be competing with Mills and Joseph for a roster spot if he wants to play in the NBA.


Neal didn't outplay Hill by any means. Neal may have hit a big shot or 2, but that wouldn't have him over Hill because of those 2 moments (heck Neal would've probably gotten us a better pick in the draft if he was really better than Hill in the playoffs).

with the roster spots, my point was Rodney said we wouldn't give a roster spot to any unproven rookie. we did give a spot to those young guys when we could've signed vets for cheap and shorter contracts in their place, so that argument by him doesn't make sense (even if they were up for grabs or not).

but i agree with you that Nando would be coming here and i don't think i'd even include Joseph in the conversation because we don't even have to bring him here next year if there's an interest (or a pick in next year's draft for a legit SG) in whatever type of deal and De Colo is here, Neal or Mills may both be gone (especially if we're in a rebuilding mode where you would bring in Joseph to play).
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-14-12, 07:22 PM
Mombear's Avatar
Official Whorry Hater!
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio, Texas USA
Posts: 44,198

so there!
__________________



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-15-12, 12:40 AM
kmgospurs's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,766

Well with it being Manu's last year next season I could see them use him in his place to help save Manu's minutes and to start having a transitioning of guards. I know he's been good over there but I just hope he can be good here too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-15-12, 06:36 AM
goodtexan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: a Texas Flood
Posts: 1,732

I can't wait for Chuck to yell "De Colo!"
__________________
That's a cold shot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-15-12, 10:35 AM
SleepyAdamII's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,919

I think De Colo may come in to replace Anderson. Anderson is a young guy ready to play and get paid , leaving the 12th man spot open this summer. I can see De Colo coming in and filling that role and given the opportunity to compete for open spots. I don't know how good Nando is, but we should see.

I'll never try and guess the Spurs front office ; they are both reactionary and great long term strategists. So who ever really knows?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-15-12, 11:13 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post


Neal didn't outplay Hill by any means. Neal may have hit a big shot or 2, but that wouldn't have him over Hill because of those 2 moments (heck Neal would've probably gotten us a better pick in the draft if he was really better than Hill in the playoffs).

with the roster spots, my point was Rodney said we wouldn't give a roster spot to any unproven rookie. we did give a spot to those young guys when we could've signed vets for cheap and shorter contracts in their place, so that argument by him doesn't make sense (even if they were up for grabs or not).

but i agree with you that Nando would be coming here and i don't think i'd even include Joseph in the conversation because we don't even have to bring him here next year if there's an interest (or a pick in next year's draft for a legit SG) in whatever type of deal and De Colo is here, Neal or Mills may both be gone (especially if we're in a rebuilding mode where you would bring in Joseph to play).
Maybe instead of me saying Neal "outplayed" hill, I should have just said that Neal gave Pop enough confidence in his abilities that Hill could be traded.
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-16-12, 01:53 AM
SilverSpur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 6,577

Either way...

Quote:
Nando De Colo is a pretty standard above average Euro leage Swing man. The one thing he is not is "the Next Manu Ginobili" He may not even be the "next Daniel Green", or the Next "Gary Neal".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-16-12, 10:34 AM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,551

From what I have read I do not think much of de Colo. He thinks he is ready to give the NBA a try, but I don't read any more into it than that as far as whether we want him or he can be an impact player over here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0