News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-12, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Danny Ferry may leave San Antonio to run the Wizards

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

Former Cavs GM Danny Ferry is being touted as a candidate to run the Wizards when owner Ted Leonsis cleans out his front office, starting with team prez Ernie Grunfeld, after the season. Since leaving Cleveland, Ferry has been assisting Gregg Popovich in San Antonio. New York Daily News
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-12, 12:31 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Good for The Wiz. The league can only get better if more teams work like the Spurs and learn from that school. See: OKC
Old 04-01-12, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
Good for The Wiz. The league can only get better if more teams work like the Spurs and learn from that school. See: OKC
i think it's a matter of the personnel and the organization. Ferry didn't do a good job in Cleveland in my opinion (neither did Mike Brown without Lebron bailing him out on offense). Ferry brought in Mo Williams and Shaq, two guys who didn't fit with Lebron. the team was very slow, very one dimensional with the guys he brought in.

i personally don't think much of Ferry's management skills. Sam Presti, on the other hand, was a guy who went scouting and made decisions based on the team, not on the players.
Old 04-01-12, 02:11 PM
Banned

Danny Did the best job possible given the situation. You had a petulant superstar who everybody knew wanted to move to a big market team. They had limited resources and he still managed to make move after move to get "lebron help". He got the best available help at the time. He was given a beer budget and tried to deliver on Lebrons Champaign dreams. They won 66 and 61 games is it his fault that the player choked? That the Coach never developed into a coach with balls? Sam Presti's biggest move? He has a superstar who didn't sandbag him, acted like a man, and STAYED withe the team. LOL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-12, 02:18 PM
SR Team Goof

If this is a 'promotion' for Ferry, good for him. But I have to add one little caveat in parting -- please don't take any of the Spurs management with you; try growing your own.
Old 04-01-12, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
If this is a 'promotion' for Ferry, good for him. But I have to add one little caveat in parting -- please don't take any of the Spurs management with you; try growing your own.
agreed. we're also overhyped at times imo, just because it's a Spur or someone with a Spur type mentality (i.e. Kerr). as much as you want someone from a respected organization, it's better to build your own identity. trying to make a team identical to the Spurs can be damning if the situation doesn't present itself beneficial with those pieces (Cleveland/right now, the Lakers)
Old 04-01-12, 06:20 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
agreed. we're also overhyped at times imo, just because it's a Spur or someone with a Spur type mentality (i.e. Kerr). as much as you want someone from a respected organization, it's better to build your own identity. trying to make a team identical to the Spurs can be damning if the situation doesn't present itself beneficial with those pieces (Cleveland/right now, the Lakers)
Yes sir. There are no sequels in this game, only originals. And the Spurs organization is considered one of the best, if not the best, franchise running regardless of what sport it may be. Hallelujah. Go Spurs!!
Old 04-01-12, 11:38 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

The Spuranos are at it again.

Old 04-02-12, 10:01 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
i think it's a matter of the personnel and the organization. Ferry didn't do a good job in Cleveland in my opinion (neither did Mike Brown without Lebron bailing him out on offense). Ferry brought in Mo Williams and Shaq, two guys who didn't fit with Lebron. the team was very slow, very one dimensional with the guys he brought in.

i personally don't think much of Ferry's management skills. Sam Presti, on the other hand, was a guy who went scouting and made decisions based on the team, not on the players.
Presti blew up the team and could afford to lose while the team drafted more talent and young rookies grew up together.

With Lebron the clock was ticking from day 1 to win now or he would leave. And Lebron was good enough to where they couldn't gut the team and guarantee themselves good lottery picks. With Lebron alone the first year-- think of that! an 18 year old rookie-- they were about at .500.
Old 04-02-12, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Danny Did the best job possible given the situation. You had a petulant superstar who everybody knew wanted to move to a big market team. They had limited resources and he still managed to make move after move to get "lebron help". He got the best available help at the time. He was given a beer budget and tried to deliver on Lebrons Champaign dreams. They won 66 and 61 games is it his fault that the player choked? That the Coach never developed into a coach with balls? Sam Presti's biggest move? He has a superstar who didn't sandbag him, acted like a man, and STAYED withe the team. LOL
Exactly. Problem was Lebron.
Old 04-02-12, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Exactly. Problem was Lebron.
lebron was the only reason they were winning games and its no coincidence that the second he left that whole team fell apart.

he should pass...unless they pay him a **** ton of money,running the wizards will be a terrible gig, other opportunities will come and im pretty sure the magic job will open up soon...no way does otis smith stay running the show for much longer.

Last edited by firefox86182; 04-02-12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-02-12, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox86182 View Post
lebron was the only reason they were winning games and its no coincidence that the second he left that whole team fell apart.
I think it's both. Lebron was both the reason they were a contending playoff team and the problem at the root of the franchise preventing them from being an OKC-type potential dynasty.
Old 04-02-12, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox86182 View Post
agreed. it also didn't help that the coach kept running isolation plays for Lebron. at the same time, Ferry didn't give Brown anyone else to run other players with.
Old 04-02-12, 03:32 PM
The Master Baiter

They had plenty of talent come through there. They had all star Mo Williams, they had Shaq, etc. They would have had Boozer if he weren't a weasel. I don't fault Ferry for that. I think Mike Brown is just not a good head coach. That's a case where being a Popovich disciple got him a job he wasn't qualified for.

Let's be realistic, one man cannot win 60+ games on his own. He had help. Michael Jordan was at .500 until Pippen showed up. The coach had no idea what he was doing.
Old 04-02-12, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Many might not be old enough to remember, but Ferry's father played for and was the GM (exec of year twice) for the Bullets. Ferry of course played his prep days in the Washington area. It would be a nice coming home so to speak, and for the Wizards a reconnection with the past.
Old 04-02-12, 04:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I should run the Wizards as GM!
They would be in the playoffs next year with me at the helm!
Hire me dang it!
WILLTHETHRILL FOR WASHINGTON WIZARDS GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-12, 11:47 PM
Administrator